A conquistador, a party monster, and a slave cabin

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Sarra, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Sarra

Sarra Senior Registered

I enjoy reading about what others have remembered of their past lives so I figured I'd add my fragmented visual memories to the mix. If anything here is familiar to anyone else I'd love to hear about it!

I'll begin with my most detailed memory from early 2016: The Conquistador
    I'd used a random YouTube regression video that talks you through the usual relaxation stuff then directs you to open a door. I'd tried this a few times over the previous months and only got sensations and a hypnagogic hallucination. But this time as the narrator asked a lot of rapid fire questions like where you are, what land, and what date I got 1518. I wondered if I'd just strung random numbers together and I kind of dismissed it. When the video asked to look down at my feet I couldn't see anything but I felt as if I was wearing heeled boots as my feet weren't flat on the ground. As I scanned up my body I knew I was wearing armor but couldn't see it or feel the weight of it. I tried to focus on what the armor felt like on my body instead but as soon as I did I became aware of a large white horse standing next to me on my right. It had a curly/crimped looking mane. I immediately thought "Gee, if this is my horse I'm not taking very good care of it. It's mane needs to be combed!" I couldn't see much of the horse except it's long mane. It had such striking hair! It looked like stretched out spiral curls...each curl was separated and pretty but overall frizzy. I saw this all very clearly but I wasn't specifically focused on the horse it was just in my peripheral vision. I felt the presence of someone on my left but I didn't look at them. Then all of a sudden I'm on the horse but don't actually see myself mount it. It was a bright sunny day and the sky was bright blue and cloudless. I was in a large field or clearing and the grass which was a deep intense shade of green was short as if it had been mowed. In front of me in the distance was a forest. A few months later I saw the horse again as I was just closing my eyes to go to sleep. This time it was "prancing" along in front of a line of trees or a forest. Here's a video of the same type of horse making the same movement These horses would've been common war horses in Spain and any Spanish colonies at the time.

What's crazy to me is I took weekly horseback riding lessons one summer when I was about 12. It's odd to me this memory didn't come back to me then since I didn't have any contact with horses before then. This has been the only memory I've been able to verify so far. It matches up with Bernal Diaz del Castillo's firsthand account of Hernan Cortes' expedition to Mexico in which he mentions only a few horses were brought along but one of them was a white horse described as "a very good horse" and that all of the horses had been walked separately from the soldiers across a certain plain in Cuba in early 1518 to the docks where the ships were waiting. (Officially the expedition was cancelled but Cortes left anyway and landed in Mexico in 1519 so a lot of the more summarized sources give the expedition date as 1519.) This account also explained why my armor wasn't heavy. They didn't use metal armor but instead used quilted armor made from fabric and stuffed with padding. I've looked at photos of plains in Cuba and the grass only grows a few inches high due to the amount rocks which has the effect of making it look like it's been mowed. A YouTube video of someone driving along a coastal road in Havana brought on a sudden feeling of excitement like just before the drop on a roller coaster, when the sea and the rocky coastline came into view. I also have a fondness for images of old ships. Galleons and frigates specifically. I should mention that I grew up on an island in an area where piracy was common but my fondness for ships only became a thing in my adulthood. I had a chance to tour one of the reproduction Columbus ships a few years ago and found I enjoyed staring up at the rigging...if I was allowed to I would've laid down on the deck and just stared at the ropes and sails in the breeze.

I feel like I've written sooo much already. I'll write about the other memories in a separate post.

2. Sarra

Sarra Senior Registered

So the Party Monster was recalled a few months later but this memory came back to me in a quick flash one day when I was meditating and I’m not sure all of it is related. I was lying on the ground near a curb looking up at the sky. I was aware that there was a car parked at my feet and my head and I was lying between them for some reason. It was a bright summer day and I got the date Wednesday August 24, 1978. I could see tall buildings around me but not clearly enough to recognize them or make out any architectural details. Then the back of my head began to hurt. It was a strange but VERY intense pain like a throbbing and pulling sensation at the same time but I still felt calm despite this. I looked around myself without getting up but only saw one person clearly. A woman with middle parted straight blonde hair wearing a pair of tan bell bottoms. I’m not sure I saw this from the ground as the perspective doesn’t seem right for ground level. Maybe that is what I looked like and not an onlooker?? I remember thinking that this must look really odd me laying here sort of in the road but nobody seemed to care. I knew I had been out late possibly at a roller rink.

When I checked that date it comes up as Thursday and not Wednesday which seems in line with someone who might’ve partied too hard the night before and now wasn’t completely aware that it was the next day. I think this was the end of this lifetime and the one before my current one.

The Slave Cabin(s): This came back to me just as I was closing my eyes to go to sleep about a month ago. I saw a quick flash of the front of a very small light colored house with either a dark front door or possibly with no door at all. There weren’t any other houses around it. Then about a week later I saw another house but from the inside. This one was larger- rectangular with horizontal boards that were painted bright white like the paint job was recent. I’m standing in the middle of this one room house aware that it’s pitch black outside and that there are two windows at either end. The room is empty as far as I can tell but there are two bright yellow sources of light coming from either end of it. Probably lamps and not candles since the light didn’t flicker at all. I begin to turn my head to look around more but that is when everything faded away. This memory bothers me because it faded the moment I got curious about where I was.

I’m familiar with the style of building since I grew up in a “shotgun house” built in 1899. Rooms with horizontal siding like planks are common in the south and familiar to me but I was still a bit startled to visit the Slave Dwelling Projects Instagram recently and see a one room house that reminded me of the buildings from my memory.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B6U-jPDh3HU/?igshid=vmvztrdl2v6a
    I’m hoping to narrow down a date range by figuring out what the lighting was. Supposedly kerosene burns yellow? I know all kinds of oils were burned in lamps though. If anyone has any input on this detail I would really appreciate it.

Peace of mind likes this.
  3. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Sarra,

On 1978, the style certainly sounds like 1978 (I was around back then). I suspect you had a fall or some serious injury to the back of your head that bled into your hair, etc. and created that stickiness.

On Slave Cabin, sounds like Kerosene Lamps to me, though the only time I've used them is after hurricanes when the electricity is down.

https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/history-of-kerosene-oil-lamps

Cordially,
    S&S

4. Sarra

Sarra Senior Registered

@SeaAndSky Thanks for replying. I agree with you that it does sound like I hit my head or maybe was hit by a car being so close to the road. I’m not sure I really want to remember the rest if I did.

Thanks so much for that link. I feel like I’ve read a million articles about kerosene recently and none of them explicitly stated that it burned yellow like this one does! We had a kerosene heater in our house when I was little but I couldn’t remember for the life of me if the flame burned yellow or not.

5. Sarra

Sarra Senior Registered

So I finally put a random flashback into context today:
    I was watching the news several months ago when they were reporting on a hate crime. I don’t remember the details now but the thought “oh no not again” popped into my head. I knew the “again” meant the civil rights movement which I am nowhere near old enough to have been around for nor to be having knee jerk reactions of anxiety about. It must’ve been “party girl” who died in ‘78 reacting since I assume the telltale signs of what’s going on right now would have been obvious to anyone around during the civil rights movement long before protesting started.

6. Sarra

Sarra Senior Registered

I was browsing some photos taken after the battle of Antietam the other day after reading about how a period map of the graves on the battlefield was recently discovered at the NY Public Library. There was an image of a young boy dressed as a sailor captioned as “powder monkey”. I’d never heard the term before but it caught my attention because for the last several years I’ve been jokingly calling the target employees who collect the carts “cart monkeys”. It made my husband laugh because it was so absurd and I was SURE I’d come up with it. I swear I don’t normally make fun of people but the joke was inspired by one employee in particular who seemed to be the only one whose job it was to get the carts at my local target. He always looked so serious. I kid you not, this guy rain or shine, one cart or a twenty would be trudging around looking like he was marching to war with a red paisley bandana tied around his forehead.

Apparently a powder monkey was a young boy (surely originally also an enslaved African boy) whose job it was to haul the powder to the deck on a ship. It was dangerous and hard work better suited for an adult but common during the “age of sail”. I can’t get over the fact that I remembered just enough to use the term in the correct context and then casually modernize it but not enough to realize it was PL memory related until I (re)learned it’s original context. o_O

7. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

The term "powder monkey" may be more commonplace in Britain, I'd certainly heard it. A quick search found several pubs in England with that name too. A lot of our public houses have names dating back centuries - though there's a modern fad towards renaming pubs every few weeks with something seemingly trendy.

There's also the current term "code monkey" which you may have heard - it refers to a computer programmer whose role is to write the code which makes up a software program.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Sarra likes this.
  8. SeaAndSky

Hi Sarra,

Wikipedia provides the answers to most of your questions (with illustrations), and also alludes to the more modern use of the term noted by Speedwell:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_monkey

Having an interest in sailing and seafaring life, I already had some familiarity with the term, and have never heard of an "enslaved African boy" as a powder monkey. Anything is possible I suppose, but I would deem it extremely unlikely. To put it bluntly, slaves were economic assets who would not have been risked in this way. In the antebellum South, owners might hire out slaves for work to others, but were known to refuse such contracts if the work was too dangerous. One of the bizarre (twisted?) benefits of being a valuable piece of property was that an owner was unlikely to risk a slave being seriously injured, damaged or killed anymore than someone today would loan a valuable tool that might be damaged or destroyed on the job. This is especially true as slaves were extremely valuable assets in the currency of the day. OTOH, poor kids, orphans, and the like were available in great quantity for nothing (especially in the cities of the day). So, . . . .

I would say that these were "cruel" ages, but that implies that the current age is less cruel. That is open to question.

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--This can also be seen as at least part of the reason why seriously ill slaves were often nursed back to health in the "Big House".

PPS--Of course, the discussion above assumes that all relevant decisions related to the issues during the time periods involved were based on purely economic motives. This can never be completely true where people are involved, then or now, positively or negatively.

9. Sarra

Sarra Senior Registered

:)Hello @Speedwell and @SeaAndSky I didn’t think anyone was still using this site with the way the world is right now.

@Speedwell yes I’ve heard of a code monkey before but not for many years and certainly not enough to use it in a different context without understanding it. Never really got why code monkey was even a thing but I guess now I know. o_O lol

@SeaAndSky It was and still is a common insult to refer to black people as monkeys :mad: (cause we’re apparently not fully human or some nonsense) and the beginning of the age of sail coincides with the ramping up of the slave trade. You do make a great point about orphans and that makes perfect sense to me. I don’t doubt that enslaved boys weren’t *common* as powder monkeys but not every enslaved person was “highly valued” unfortunately. Some sailors even traveled with a slave and children as young as four were often put to work at simple tasks. So my logic was that it was the *origin* of the term not necessarily the reason it stuck or a direct insult to the boys actually hauling the powder.

I have lots of feelings and opinions (that I’ll spare you, lol) on how high value slaves were treated and why. From a purely logical and financial standpoint yes it was simply protecting an investment. But if my own ridiculously varied ancestry and the fact that I’ve been related to every single enslaver I’ve traced my family to so far is any indication it was more complicated than that.

Have you heard of Elizabeth Keckley the seamstress to Mary Lincoln? She bought her freedom but remained in touch with and even visited her former enslavers later in life. Modern historians think she was probably a close relative of the family that enslaved her and that obviously affected how each felt towards the other. Her memoir is available for free online.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  10. SeaAndSky

Hi Sarra,

As observed in my post above, things are not as simple where human relations are concerned as simplifying narratives like to make them seem (whether those narratives are economic or not).

The prevailing and enforced narrative related to race and slavery was one thing in 1880, another slightly different thing 70 years later in 1950, and still another quite opposite thing 70 years later in 2020. The prevailing culture in all cases has had its favored narrative dealing with the situation in which all other perspectives tended to be not only derided but ruthlessly suppressed in the interest of an over-simplified approach where the actors (and often their descendants) are stereotyped and expected to conform to that stereotype.

People are not that simple, and human relationships are not that simple. To say there could be affection or friendship (familial or otherwise) involved in the relationship you describe in your last paragraph comes as no surprise to me, but does put you in peril of being cancelled, etc. by the types of people (fanatics?) who currently serve as enforcers for particular narratives/viewpoints in 2020. I admire your courage! ;) You may also have just triggered/melted a "snowflake" somewhere, which is OK with me! :cool:

Cordially,
    S&S

Sarra and Jim78 like this.