A Cure? Autism, ADHD, ADD, Aspergers

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Deborah, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

A friend of mind has a child with Autism. She showed me this site today and since I know we have several parents with children would have one of the problems in the title of this thread I thought I would share. Empowering parents to help their children heal

The statistics should shock us all.
    I am posting this to help those who for years have asked about these issues and how to help their children. This site says - they now have a cure.

2. Lemurian

Lemurian Senior Registered

Thanks Deborah :) :thumbsup: .........

That is a very interesting site indeed thank you very much for posting it hun. Yes the statistics are absolutely shocking! Makes one wonder that in some dark alternate future we might all end up autistic in the end :( . My wife has been involved with the disabled and autistic kids during school and I know she likewise will be very appreciative of this link.....

I have only read a small portion so far but I am impressed. Hopefully this "cure" will work with no adverse side effects in the end. Removing the mercury from a persons body is a interesting way of dealing with this actually (at least to me). Thanks again hun :) ..........

Peace...........

3. Deborah

Namaste Lemurian........... :D

My friend is a professor and an activist;she goes right to the heart of the matter and has been researching this for two years. Let me know if it helps others - and what you and others think when you have time.

4. Fab

Fab Senior Registered

Very interesting article Deborah!
    Thanks for sharing it. :)
    I am very interested in ADHD... My husband has and so does his parents...
    I don't think i've ever heard of any study like that involving mercury.
    I will definitely read the whole article later and i will probably even suggest it to my mother-in-law. She is a social worker and works with kids with disabilities now.

5. Lemurian

Lemurian Senior Registered

Oooo now your using Sanskrit :) . Yes I do know what that means by the way. I may not be able to speak it but I have good references and sources of info :) . Gotta admit though it was a pleasant surprise seeing you use it hun. You never cease to impress me :D .....

Namaste back at ya my lady :) ..........

Fab I to have known some friends who had ADHD and the struggles involved there in. It's also very cool that your mother-in-law is a social worker :thumbsup: . Sometimes it's a thankless job but a rewarding one all the same. I too will let everyone know what I think of the site as well as what my wife thinks about it. She loves medicine and knows quite a bit about it in general (she is a lot smarter than me, but that’s how it should be lol).....

On a side note, has anyone noticed how quick the medical community is in diagnosing ADHD for people. Is it me or does it seem that they (generally speaking) might be using it too easily now days? Where I used to live many Dr's would give this diagnosis even if a child was just hyperactive and needed more structure and things to do to keep them occupied. This tendency does worry me a bit as ADHD is serious......

Can't sit down for more than a few minutes before having to get up and do things. Must be ADHD. Daydream a lot. Most be ADHD. Have a ton of energy which keeps you up at night. Must be ADHD. Seems to me it is too easy to label one ADHD these days when in fact the person in question might not be. To me that does more harm than good and might just distract from the true serious cases of ADHD, but that’s just my feelings is all (ooops, must mean I have ADHD... Doh!)........

Anyone else?

Peace..........

6. Chardin

Chardin Senior Registered

Thank you, Deborah for posting this link. My cousin in Arizona has twins. One with severe Autism. I'll be forwarding the link to her.

7. andrewx

andrewx Senior Registered

I am going to chime in here, after being inactive on these boards for a while. I am an autistic person. I am very high functioning, and rarely talk about it. (My actual diagnosis is Asperger's Syndrome.)

Please be careful when reading "stuff" on the internet about "cures" for autism. I believe that it is chiefly neurological, and probably largely genetic. (I believe my father has signs of it. I have no plans on ever having children because of my probable bad genetics.) Yes, mercury should not be in vaccines, in my opinion. However, there is no proof that they cause autism. Scientific studies of this have not found a conclusive link between vaccines and autism.

I you are autistic yourself, or have a family member who is, please visit the web site of the Autism Society of America. The web site http://www.autism-society.org will be a good place to start learning about the condition. Please be careful about people who offer "cures" on the internet.

Respectfully,

Andrewx

Sherrill likes this.
  8. andrewx

As a side note, I rarely visit here anymore. I think that something drew me to this message board today. I am glad I was able to post here just now.

Something once kept me up very late. I then turned on my television at about 5 in the morning. A program, a short documentary, ended up mentioning autism. Weird.

Respectfully,

Andrewx

9. michaldembinski

michaldembinski Senior Registered

Warsaw, Poland; 52 degrees North, 21 degrees East
    I agree entirely with AndrewX.

My brother's younger son has profound autism. It is quite misleading to pin autism down to one environmental factor. It creates false hopes among parents.

My nephew has been on a gluten-free, dairy-free diet and kept away from numerous environmental factors that are believed to be harmful. My brother and his wife are wonderful carers and really work hard and trying to improve their son's condition, and while they're managing it and stabilising it - there's no real improvement.

I agree, AndrewX, that it's largely genetic. We can see traits in both my family and in my sister-in-law's family that are 'on-spectrum'; in my mind autism is the result of complicated genetic factors rather than one simple environmental factor. I wish it were that easy.

Michal

10. Deborah

Hi,

I am not up on any of this and posted it only as a possibility. I am curious though - if the numbers are correct
    how can it be "largely genetic?" Are these numbers correct?

I am reading Lipton's new book (2005) about biology and old belief's; the chapter I am reading is very interesting. In a nutshell he says -if there is something wrong in the body - look to the environment. Genes are not as important as once believed

Andrewx - your site looks interesting too - I hope to look through it a little later tonight.

11. andrewx

Deborah, thank you for your interest in Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Yes, there has been a huge increase in the numbers of people diagnosed with some sort of autism. Some of it may be because the willingness of doctors and other experts to diagnose people has increased. (I would never have been diagnosed with autism 30 years ago; Asperger's was not widely considered to exist then.)

However, I would not rule out environmental issues causing an increase in autism. (I am not a doctor, of course.) Still, I would advice anybody to use caution in getting medical information from the internet. People whose ideas may be very unlikely to be true can put up nice web sites. The http://www.autism-society.org web site is a good place to start for information on autism, or a related condition. Oh, and please don't start yourself, or your child on a special diet, such as a gluten-free diet, without discussing it with a qualified doctor, or other medical professional.

Respectfully,

Andrewx

12. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

Yes, cure

This has become an area of expertise for me. I'm writing a book on it. I have two sons with autism spectrum disorders, and my search for answers for them as well as an already-existing interest in homeopathy has led me to begin practicing as a homeopath specializing in autism spectrum disorders, using homeopathy adapted to the cutting edge research being performed by medical doctors.

First point -- if you are a parent of a child with autism, do not decide not to look at a website because someone has issued a warning against websites "offering cures." Because it may be that if you actually look at said website, you'll find that it is actually not a commercial website offering or having a financial stake in any service at all, but run for and by parents -- as is the one Deb linked to -- and which backs up its claims with scientific studies, expert testimony and even the conclusions of a Congressional Committee after it heard reams of expert testimony -- as does this one also. Look at every website, and judge them for yourself, as to whether it should give you hope or not. Look for multiple well-qualified sources and multiple scientific studies showing a broad agreement.

Second point -- no disorder with such a huge increase over such a short time can possibly be entirely explained by genetics. There simply has to be a causal factor that only came into play during or at the beginning of that short time. At the same time, a genetic pattern has been well demonstrated. What has become clear to the people at the forefront of autism research is that autism is has a dual cause; most cases are the result of a genetic susceptibility to an environmental challenge. If no one were susceptible, you'd see no autism. If the environmental challenge didn't exist, you'd also see no autism. This is why there was essentially no autism until the late 1930s. Related point: such a huge increase can't have been caused by a higher tendency to diagnose, either. Else we'd be seeing as many new adult autism cases as childhood ones. Besides, at least one well-conducted study I know of has ruled that out.

Third point -- yes, the science showing a mercury-autism link is there. People feel free to make pronouncements that it isn't, because that's what the authorities have pronounced and disseminated to the media, so it's become the popular "wisdom." Problem is, the authorities are not unbiased; in fact, when it comes to this issue, at least, they're essentially corrupt. It's a revolving door between the vaccine manufacturers and government bodies such as the FDA and Centers for Disease Control -- and both would be sued to smithereens if the link became commonly known, so their interests are aligned anyway. Thus their response has been a cover-up as well as a "voluntary" removal of mercury from the vaccines. The CDC did a very thorough, careful epidemiological study which showed a clear link. They then covered it up, massaged the numbers to erase the link and put that out to the media, and even tried to keep any other scientists from repeating the study to see if the results could be replicated, as is normal scientific practice. This is all documented, with the relevant documents available on the Internet -- I have all the URLs.

....continued....

13. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

Yes, cure, continued

Fourth point: the proof is in the pudding. Practitioners(doctors and others) who take the biomedical approach are curing kids with autism. Day in, day out. Their continuing search for better understanding and better techniques is not caused by a 0% success rate... it's caused by a success rate less than 100%. (As well, the science is relatively new.) There is not a simple cure, there's no one therapy that works for all, because autism is not a simple disease. It lives in the byzantinely-complex world of the body's metabolic biochemistry, starting in the gastro-intestinal tract, and ultimately determining whether the nerve tissue in the brain is able to fire off in a co-ordinated, efficient manner or not (thus it is a neurological disorder -- but with a gastro-intestinal-centred cause. This is why so many kids with autism also have diarrhea, constipation and other bowel problems). More than one part of the biochemical dance can go out of whack, with different aspects going out of whack in different kids, and therefore different methods within the framework having different rates of success with different kids. (It is for this reason that you can't dismiss a diet because it hasn't worked with one kid. The gluten/casein-free diet produced improvements in both of mine. Obvious question -- are there statistics on the effectiveness of the gluten-free casein-free diet? Yes, there are. As well as on other biomedical techniques. I have the URL for that too.) But these successes are not recognized by the mainstream medical world -- because to recognize them, the mainstream medical world would have to admit that most autism has been caused by its own practices. And it doesn't want to get into that much trouble.

Fifth point -- just to complicate things more -- mercury isn't the only environmental factor implicated in autism. Vaccines contain aluminum, also, another neurotoxin. Flame-retardant fabrics are a source of antimony -- which is a worse neurotoxin, pound for pound, than mercury. As well there is evidence that a measles virus, specifically the vaccine version rather than the natural disease, is involved. There's even some evidence, now, that toxicity can be inherited -- what parents have taken into their bodies can affect their children. But there are methods -- both conventional and not so conventional -- to address all these things.

So -- Deborah is right, there is a cure... but it is not a simple, easy or quick one. There's no one method that will cure every autism case. But at the same time, the standard medical pronouncement, "There is no hope, throw him in an institution and forget he exists," is just plain wrong.

When searching for a health professional to help with autism, I strongly recommend choosing a Defeat Autism Now! (DAN!) practitioner. These are the people, and the followers of the people, who've been exploring every avenue, without medical establishment bias, since Bernard Rimland shot down the "refrigerator mother" theory, which was then the mainstream medical position, in the late 60s. Click here for the DAN! website.

In healing,
    Karen

Sherrill likes this.
  14. Deborah

Thank You so much Karen for your clear and encouraging information for parents. You are - appreciated. :):):)

15. Wicker

Wicker Senior Registered

My wife is a practicing DAN physician and she would like to make a brief comment.

Hi all!
    I am glad to see that there is increased awareness and that people are recognizing that recovery is possible. I would like to add an additional website that might give parents hope; https://www.tacanow.org/category/family-stories/recovered-from-autism/

Check out this website for yourself and hear their stories firsthand. Additional websites are available through www.AutismResearchInstitute.com.

DAN conferences are held every six months on each coast and everyone is invited

I hope these websites are helpful.

Your friend, Wicker

16. KarenF

KarenF Senior Registered

DAN! conferences -- another plug

DAN! held their first mini-conference outside the USA in September -- it was in Toronto, and I attended the Sunday portion, which was geared to practitioners (Saturday was geared to parents). I strongly recommend to parents of kids with autism or related to go to one of these also. It's the cutting edge, as I say, and, yes, tremendously encouraging.

Wicker, who's your wife? Just curious -- I might know her name at least. PM me if you aren't comfortable giving her real name on the forum. Thanks for the link to the recovered children videos... I'm writing a book with a couple of other DAN! homeopaths, and I will add the link to our resources chapter!

Without giving anything away that I shouldn't, DAN! docs are just beginning to team up with homeopaths. Very exciting!

In healing,
    Karen