A Difference between Wisdom and Knowledge?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI,

I am curious if others see a difference between wisdom and knowledge? Here are a few of my thoughts.

To me, wisdom can only be found through compassion. It is not something you take with you - so much as something you become............I know that sounds odd; compassion is not something we do - it is something we become. Dr. Moss talks about this in his book. The Second Miracle.

Knowledge to me reflects history, learned experiences and relates to educating ones self about reality and the world.
    Wisdom on the other hand - has to do with Matters of the Heart.

Something I reflect on from time to time.Wisdom comes in moments of silence and understanding in the depths of compassion.

I have known people who carry a lot of wisdom but have little knowledge about the world and the other way around. What do you think?

2. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

My mother was reading something about wisdom to me today. The quote was from a religious newsletter from 1998 that she had found today on her kitchen table and she was wondering who had placed it there (I am sure that she placed the newsletter on the table but could not remember doing so).

The quote went something like this, "Wisdom is something that, as you get older, you find it has been waiting for you."

As she was reading to me, I was visualizing walking along a path and finding myself in the midst of a beautiful fall day. Sitting beside the path with colorful leaves scattered all around was an older robed person who greeted me with the words, "I have been waiting for you." I knew it was Wisdom.

I have never felt like a wise person. I am not really sure exactly what wisdom is so I appreciate you bringing this up today. I will have to think about your statement that "Wisdom ... has to do with Matters of the Heart". The people that I know - and would say are wise - do seem like genuinely good souls.

Thanks for the book title.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

Knowledge is simply that. Knowing facts, figures, information, data. Wisdom is making the right choices based on knowledge.

It is the difference between knowing that something is likely to come to a bad end because of what we know about gravity, physics, and alcohol, and saying,"hey man, hold my beer and watch this."

Phoenix

4. stardis

stardis Senior Registered

These are just my personal thoughts on the subject of knowledge and wisdom. They are based on personal observations that I have been making for several years now.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that wisdom is not about making choices based on knowledge. I think we make knowledge-based choices based on probabilities, the chance of one outcome occurring over any other outcome. We are not aware of the fantastic number crunching statistical analysis that our brains are engaged in and we just see the output as a hunch or feeling that we should respond in a certain way to a given circumstance.

Wisdom is more about the empathic ability to feel another beings energy or aura and we respond to that input by showing compassion and love. Compassion or love may not always be expressed in a way that we would all agree are representative of those emotive qualities.

5. SundayAtDusk

SundayAtDusk New Member

I think "wisdom" is a combination of both matters of the head and heart. And it is such a subjective word! If you asked everyone here to name the 5 "wisest" people they have ever known or read about, all the lists would probably be different. If you asked people most interested in the natural sciences, as opposed to the human or social sciences, to make such a list, their lists would probably be really different! The "wisest" college professor I ever had was a compassionate man...but to a point. He did not have compassion for everyone. Yet, I felt he was the "wisest", and the absolute best one I ever had. It was like I had a big gift box of "motivation" waiting for me on my desk the day I entered his classroom.

The word "compassionate" takes us back to suffering...those who are compassionate want to share the suffering of others, and help them...something that is very noble at times, but not always. I know people who are addicted to suffering, including the suffering of others. And some people who always express deep concern for the suffering of others, do so because they feel no one recognizes how much they have suffered...or did suffer as children...and their profound sympathy for others is actually for themselves.

Then, there is "empathy", which, in my opinion, is what wise people possess. But being wise, they know "empathy" does not always translate into "sympathy", and it never translates into "pity". Because "pity", as I see it, is always rooted in self-righteousness. No one feels "pity" for someone unless they actually feel superior to them in some way.

6. catseye

catseye Senior Registered

: angel

Hey Sunday,

I agree that empathetic people are the best of the bunch. They tend to visualize themselves in another's place and then it's easier for them to understand what someone else is going through before they jump to judgement. Then they act with wisdom (which should never be confused with intelligence), and behave with honor. (Wouldn't it be a great world if we all acted HONORABLY to one another?)

The one problem with being an empath is that some people will just emotionally 'dump' constantly, and you have to learn when to click the 'off' button and just let them rant because no matter how logically you explain, or how impassioned they pleas mat seem, they really have no intention of taking responsibility for constantly getting themselves into circumstances they could fix with a little effort of their own.

You asked me to come back, hope you've dusted off my soap box.:laugh:

Meow catseye

7. Deborah

HI Catseye and Sunday.

Great to see you both back. :cool I am sorry for my lagging but I am in the middle of grading midterms, doing critiques and the list is longer than I care to describe. : angel:butbut::butbut:

I'll be around more the first week of November. Looking forward to what you guys have to share - or contribute. It's been a while. ;)

8. SundayAtDusk

SundayAtDusk New Member

Well, it's about time you showed up, Catseye! Yes, I have dusted off your soap box, because I know from past experience here in this forum, people would much rather listen to you than to me...being that you are way more sympathetic and empathetic than me.:tongue: (You sort of balance me out.:laugh:)

Deborah, sure, just go leave us to fend for ourselves for a couple of weeks!:eek: (And, you know, you are beginning to sound just like Kelly! Maybe if you create a "Teachers" category, I'll even be able to bring her back here, too.:rolleyes:) I just hope Catseye and I don't get into too much mischief, while you're off grading papers....: angel : angel

9. Deborah

OK so it's been five years....I've been bizzzzzzzy.:laugh:

10. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

Agree with this.

It could be put another way as "Just because you know how to do something, doesnt make it right to do it".

I can only give one personal example that came up for me recently. A friend told me that, with the amount of knowledge I have about foraging, that I could set myself up as a "professional forager". I said that I knew that and I would certainly be glad of some extra income (as my income is currently too low to pay tax on, whilst I wait to reach my revised State Pension Age and get the rest of my pension). However, I said that I wasn't going to do so, because the last thing I want is for the same thing to happen here as happened back where I have come from. In the area I have come from there are various "professional foragers" running courses and the end result of that has been that many of the people they have taught are running amuck in the countryside nearby and stripping it bare of forageable food. The number of times I have been aware of there being plenty of a particular forageable food growing nearby and then some of these "students" descend and every last bit has been stripped bare are legion. I know well that there are some people who will see pounds of some particular resource there and not stop to think about other people and any animals/birds that use it as a food source and just take the lot for themselves personally.

I realise there is no way I could extract promises from anyone wanting to learn from me about this that they would only take a reasonable amount (ie no more than they need at that time for themselves personally and a standard size family of 4 people in total including them). I wouldnt be able to prevent them taking loads or taking enough to feed a larger family they themselves had chosen to have - so I just won't teach anyone at all and that avoids the ethical questions it would raise.

Wisdom is my deciding I won't help add to the number of people like this and help cause my new area to get "stripped bare" in turn.

Wisdom is indeed working out the consequences...

But if anyone thinks of an ethical way I can make a bit of extra cash insteadLOL I surely wouldn't object...

11. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Indeed. It comes from experience (lots of it) together with foresight and the ability to 'connect the dots' I suppose?