A Dog's Purpose

Discussion in 'Animal reincarnation and spiritual experiences' started by Deborah, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Looks like a great movie. Animal reincarnation from one dog's reborn into another dog's life. Keep the topic animal to animal not human to animal or visa versa. You know - forum rules.

This movie looks real good, funny and well done.

helz_belz and tanguerra like this.
  2. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

I read the book and it was charming. Hope the movie captures the spirit of the book.

Deborah likes this.
  3. RedSunshine

RedSunshine Member

4. Alita Jeanes

Alita Jeanes New Member

I read the book but I wasn't able to watch the movie.

5. Deborah

The movie comes out this Friday.

6. Deborah

They didn't play it here and it's not on Demand yet - anybody see it? I want to watch it but will have to wait - I guess.

7. ginagreen

ginagreen New Member

I don't know why I'm scared of dogs, more than that, I'm afraid of all hairy animals.

8. Deborah

I ordered it through iTunes - I bought it. Will watch tonight.

9. inhaltslos

inhaltslos Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I saw it for sale yesterday at the supermarket! May have to pick it up.

10. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

(sniff, sniff) Watched it last night, sniff,;just another dumb ol' (sniff) "dog movie" (sniff). I must really be getting old! Good story, but did not follow the book all that much.
    If you get the DVD, make sure to watch the bonus stuff on it including the author's explanation about how it all came about.

My wife got it from the library, we were the first to view it.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  11. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

It's just been released in the cinemas over here

12. Deborah

I cried several times. It was a good intro to reincarnation for teen and adults. Made me laugh, cry, and appreciate the possibilities. I liked how they ended up together in the end.

13. angelina

angelina New Member

thanks for sharing

14. Native Son

Native Son Active Member

Deborah,
    Not that I want to propose changing this rule of no humans to animals, or vice versa reincarnation discussion, but may I ask the reason for this restriction on this forum?

Needless to say, I have had several dog pets for most of my long life, and still do currently.

Thanks

15. jimmyc

jimmyc New Member

Preparing myself to watch this movie asap.

Deborah likes this.
  16. Deborah

Any new reviews?

17. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

I've never watched a reincarnation film nor had I heard of this one til I read this thread. I like Dennis Quaid though so I'll keep an eye out for it.

One thing I picked up from it's wikiepedia entry is that the dog retains his memories. I had wondered this myself about animals reincarnating. They seem to sense things humans can't sense. I do wonder sometimes if the fact that we are aware of our own mortality is the reason we don't usually remember. Perhaps dogs who are friendly to strangers recognise that those people aren't strangers and such stuff. It's a shame no one can ask a dog.

Twinkling Star and Deborah like this.
  18. Twinkling Star

Twinkling Star New Member

I have this DVD and love it! I thought it might help me understand how reincarnation works. I loved the end and keep playing the same part... the bit where adult Ethan is playing with the 'new dog' and suddenly realises it's his old dog ..when he keeps saying 'boss dog?' I've been longing for a dog to find me that I instantly knew was my girl like that.

It did make me realise when some dogs had shorter lives that my dog if she was reborn shortly after passing may not be about 2 and half. (I've been looking for a dog that would be 2 and half by now and born shortly after my dog passed, as the dogs seemed to go straight into a body right away in the film) She might have been born into a puppy that died young and then reborn again as Buddy had several reincarnations before eventually finding Ethan again after his original family dumped him.

Another thing I don't understand though....if dog's go straight into a new body each time their last one dies, why have animal communicators I've talked to never told me that and always said my dog was still in spirit? How can my dog send me spirit signs if it's in another body living another life????

19. Twinkling Star

Twinkling Star New Member

I found the notes I'd written while watching this for first time to help me understand how reincarnation works. I know its only a film but I thought if I saw it on film it may help me visualise how Twinkle could come back looking completely different and still be the same spirit (something I've struggled to get my head round).

These were my notes

Starts with a young puppy getting caught by a dogcatcher, he's euthanised then IMMEDIATELY reborn as Bailey (main dog character) who ends up with Ethan (main human character). Baileys lives his life out with a young teenage Ethan, dies and immediately reincarnates into 'Ellie' a female GSD, she is not a very young puppy when he 'finds himself' in her body cos she's stood up and he looks down to realise he's not male anymore! (always makes me laugh that bit! :D)

Ellie is a police dog and has a shorter life as she gets shot in the line of duty. She reincarnates into a corgi called Tino. Tino's physical body dies and Bailey finds himself in a large shepherd mix called Waffles who had a poor start to life spending most of it chained up in his yard never doing anything or going anywhere. The man then takes him out in his car and dumps him. Somehow he finds his way back to the farm. Bailey as waffles remembers 'Donkey' and 'Ethan' because they smell familiar. However Ethan (now older) doesn't recognise this dog as 'Bailey' and at first returns him to the dog pound but then goes back for him. He renames him Buddy.
    But Bailey wants Ethan to know its him so starts doing things he used to do to get Ethan to realise its him, chasing his tail... finds the old football they originally played with and does the same trick where he jumped over his back as he goes for the ball. This time you can see the realisation in Ethan's face as he calls him 'Boss dog' as he did as a child and then Bailey. (I LOVE that moment play it over and over again endlesly) He ends up giving Bailey his original collar back.

I don't know how accurate the film is but if its based on how reincarnation happens then the dog goes straight to a new body or into an embryo of a puppy yet to be born as soon as their spirit leaves the physical body that just died, it just makes me wonder of the 4 sessions I've had with Animal Communicators not one of them mentioned this and that she could already be elsewhere living a life with someone else. Bailey has 4 incarnations before he returns to an older Ethan and returns to him as an older dog. (though he had reincarnated into Waffles when he was a puppy, he didn't get the opportunity to leave that home to find Ethan until he was older) That could be how you could find your dog in an older dog and think it was a 'walk-in' when maybe your dog had been in that dog since a puppy but your oaths had only crossed at that point when you went to visit the rescue when he/she had been handed in.

That's what originally happened with us. I'd gone to as rescue to look at the dogs, she hadn't been there when we'd phoned to make the appointment but by the time we went she had been handed in. She literally threw herself at me like she'd known me all her life (she was only 4 month old at the time) so needless to say she ended up coming home with me! I didn't have the internet then though and hadn't started researching reincarnation!

If I went to look for her now she couldn't be any older than 2 years 3 months for her to have been born after her last body passed. though she could have had a shorter life first and be under a year old and it still be her. I still need to know though whether walk-ins with older animals are possible before I could rule that out. I thought I'd find the answers on this forum and can't understand why we're not allowed to discuss it? I need to eliminate the possibility that she could be within my existing dog before I went looking for another as according to Brent Atwater its possible and her dog 'Friend' shared a body with her other dog 'Electra' I wondered if that was a possibility too but don't know where to find the answers?

20. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Twinkling Star, it's saddening to read of your heartache over the loss of your dog. No one here can definitely tell you (or us) how it all works. I've read that dogs don't have individual souls (that they have a group soul) which I find repugnant. So, any answer as to the length of time between the death and rebirth would only be a guess. I know that there are very few answers that would give you comfort and I'm sorry that I can not offer them truthfully to you. I would however like to add a thought to something you questioned earlier about how Twinkle could remain on "the other side" and also be reborn. This puzzled me also until I was introduced to the thought of the soul (our essence, which is energy of some sort) is divisible and only a part of it occupies a physical body, and after death remains a distinct part of the soul-energy for a period of time. This is just my way of connecting the dots and YMMV, we all construct our version of reality differently.