A question about children's ages in re: past life memories

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by Jennifergrace, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jennifergrace

Jennifergrace New Member

hello everyone! I'm brand new here (though I've been lurking for quite some time now), and also new to the concept of reincarnation. The more I learn, the more plausible it sounds and the more I finally, for the first time in my life, truly have my own belief system on what happens when we die. It's a very comforting feeling as I was raised catholic and never "got" it, so to speak. But, now I've discovered the ideology behind this awesome theory and I have been able to connect it to my own past life memories and things have begun falling into place for me.
    However.. I have one thing that really has been bothering me that I can't quite make sense of...
    I have read Carol's book as well as Jim b Tuckers and weiss' and a couple of others and many of the children in the case studies were 1.5-2yrs old when they had their first memories of a past life. Some children were able to give detailed accounts of their previous personalities at this age. My question that is bothering me is...I'm a mom of a 2.5yr old and a5 yr old and neither of my girls were able to say more than the most basic 2 word sentences by 2yrs ("mama, Hi!", "mama, look!"). Are these ages accurate? I mean, are these children just incredibly advanced in their spoken language abilities? I just am finding it hard to grasp given my own experiences raising kids. My 2.5 yr old is Nowhere near the language proficiency needed to recall a past life even if she wanted to.....can someone please explain this to me? It's been really bothering me and the thing holding me back from full on accepting this theory into my belief system. This is really important to me that I get a better understanding. Thanks so much.

2. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Jennifer, and welcome. Please don't compare your children's abilities and feel 'left out' or anything along those lines. It probably takes trauma, unresolved conflicts, or other great need for very young children to be able to do that. Most children that I've known have no memories of a past life that pushes them to talk about it or indicate anything with their rudimentary language. The Mozarts are few and far between and the very young children that have unresolved issues are usually plagued with phobias and nightmares. Be thankful rather than concerned. Trust the process, there is a reason behind most everything.

The best way to understand reincarnation is to have an experience, even with that you might still question it, but there is a difference between Believing and Knowing and it is the latter bone that we truly seek.

Sk17 likes this.
  3. Jennifergrace

Jennifergrace New Member

Hi, and thanks for your quick response. I don't so much feel left out at all as much as just confused by their very early proficiency for whatever language is native to them. There have been many cases I've been reading, particularly in Jim B Tuckers book, where children as young as 1.5 will speak in full sentences that are greatly detailed and I am having trouble wrapping my head around that. The skeptic in me has to wonder if the story is exaggerated or if the age was misremembered. I wish I could just accept the incredible stories at face value but I've always questioned everything to death.

Sk17 likes this.
  4. Sk17

Sk17 Senior Member

Hello jennifer,

A vast majority of kids dont remember their past lives, but that does not imply reincarnation does not exists.

There is a very good reason why most souls dont remember their past lives. Every soul deserves to be born with a clean slate. Only few souls who are either evolved or have a very important lesson to learn remember their past lives. Usually god does not allow soul to be overwhelmed by their past life memories. New life is like a new beginning.

Reincarnation is a belief in almost all major world religions. Even ancient Christian and jewish scriptures indicate reincarnation and law of karma.

Our soul is immortal. It cannot be annihilated by our physical death. Just like we discard the old worn out clothes in favour of new ones. Our soul Discards its old body at death and takes a new body. Reincarnation is a belief that this journey never ends.

I hope you see the right thing.
    Peace to you,
    SK

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Tesso and AlteSeele like this.
  5. KenJ

Jennifer, let's not mix apples and oranges here. If I remember my child psychology correctly there is a wide spread in the time-frame in which children talk in complete sentences. Some children are precocious and do things "before normal" and some on the other side of the bell-curve, they all come out the same. I think it is a matter of perspective, your personal experience with your children vs "the precocious" ones.

The reincarnation questions and beliefs are something entirely different, although it might be possible that something unresolved from a prior lifetime might create a "need to express" something earlier. Perhaps you are being an excellent mother and meeting their needs so satisfactorily that they don't feel the need to use their budding language skills.

Speedwell likes this.
  6. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

Kids all develop at their own rates. Some learn to speak earlier than others, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in the long run. Some just don't speak until they feel they have something important to say.

Children are more in tune with the spiritual world than we are, but there's no 100% guarantee they'll remember anything from a PL, or they might not think it's important enough to even mention.

AlteSeele and Sk17 like this.
  7. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

No, that has nothing to do with anything. Children develop at their own pace. My youngest started speaking late but surprised us with his use of specific words. He had used his time of non-speaking for observation. Even when children still don't reproduce language their language processes are at full speed.

8. Jennifergrace

Jennifergrace New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Maybe I'm not wording myself correctly... I'm writing this from my iPad and don't have my keyboard attached so it takes awhile to get a thought out. I'm wondering how kids as young as 1.5 are able to explain in such vivid details about a past life? It just seems way too far beyond a 1.5-2yr old vocabulary. My own 2yr old can't even string 3 words together yet (not that I'm expecting her to talk about a past life, I'm simply comparing the speech proficiency). I've just never seen any kids that young who could express themselves that clearly and detailed. I realize all children progress at different levels, but this just seems *too* advanced. I'd believe a 3 year old, but a 2 year old hasn't even yet developed theory of Mind! I probably sound as though I'm nitpicking and I probably am, but it's just the only thing bothering me about this whole concept. Do these children just develop abnormally quickly in speech? I'm sorry, it's just really bothering me! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to help me understand. I've been reading these case studies and they're truly remarkable and incredible and have really given me a sense of purpose.

Edit: sorry I started writing this this morning and came back to it after more replies came in.

9. Jennifergrace

Jennifergrace New Member

I see. That makes sense! Thank you!

10. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Hi!

For me watching my child it was the combination of nightmare that would always return but come less and less with age and was different from the rest to my child at the beach looking at the water, the sea and saying it was dark down there and had been there, but then there was light and it was alright again. On another mentioned the well known tunnel but not using the word tunnel but describing it that it was light in it and that was how my child got away from the dark water. Through my child's view it was as if the tunnel was the hero and made it possible to stop drowning. There has been other ways my child has told us and relatives about this. It was never with being excited about it but neutral, but was relieved at the end. It was only while having or coming out of the nightmare when strong emotions of fear and sadness dominated. In my child's case it was as if it just came, the knowing, and then it went away.

It is true, when being too young to use words there was only the emotions from the nightmare, but when being able to use few words described more and then the more time that passed used more words.

One would think that I influenced my child or asked questions, but I haven't. I always got stunned, almost paralyzed when she talked about this because I was afraid I would say something that would make it worse. I have always accepted what she has said but her relatives did not and she got upset that they thought she was lying. She even told them that how would they know, they weren't there with her, she knew what happened/happens when you are down there ( in the water ).

/Jaimie

fireflydancing likes this.
  11. Skeeter

Skeeter Active Member

I have spent 10 years dedicated to helping raise toddlers and I can assure you that some 18month olds speak 5 word sentences and some even longer. I have witnessed a 10 month old that spoke 3 word sentences, that was a bit unsettling! Haha! Only 1 of my own 4 children spoke that well that early on (at 18mo not 10 mo!), but to answer your question, while not the average, yes, children at 1.5 years can be very detailed with their vocabulary.

My youngest daughter wasn’t quite 2.5 when she began making comments of how she had been killed by her mother when she had a different name. As a side note: Thanks to the support here I was able to respond to her in such a way that she already seems to have been able to move past it and she just turned 3. Very possible the ages and sentences have not been misremembered.

12. GuySittingintheStands

GuySittingintheStands Active Member

Skeeter. In your experience have you ever heard a 38-month-old (3 years 2 months) speak in complex sentences, that is, sentences with dependent / subordinate clauses? An example would be: "I opened the refrigerator, because I wanted something to eat." (the word "because" is the conjunction for the subordinate clause, ". . . because I wanted something to eat.")

13. Skeeter

Skeeter Active Member

Absolutely! I’ve also met 3 year olds that would have simply said “me eat”. I find that kids seem to focus in one of three areas: Social/Emotional (language, empathy), Fine motor skills (like drawing, legos), or gross motor skills (riding a bike, running). One will be more advanced than the other two. As far as using more complex sentences, that generally happens when a child who is focused on Social/emotional is also surrounded by people who talk to the child without using “baby talk”, but instead also use complex sentences, conjunctions, adjectives, and so on when talking to the child. A bit of nature and a bit of nurture.

14. GuySittingintheStands

GuySittingintheStands Active Member

Mr. Google seemed to think that complex sentences are more appropriate for 4 and a half year olds, but you seem to have first hand experience, so your opinion carries the day.

Skeeter likes this.
  15. Skeeter

Skeeter Active Member

I would agree with Mr. Google that 4.5 is probably the average age. There are going to be kids on either side of that average, like a bell. This is why pediatricians want you to have a range for milestones. Susy may use full sentences before age two, but Timmy doesn’t string three words together on a regular basis until close to 3. By kindergarten they are having a conversation and no one can tell who was talking first. Sometimes, it seems, milestone ages are pushed a little later than what is average so that parents don’t worry before there is actually a concern.

16. John Tat

John Tat Senior Registered

Hi Jennifergrace... It is well document on the forum that I have talked several times about my own experiences of previous life memories as a young child So what I say is straight from the horses mouth so to speak because I'm talking about my own experiences.. My memories began as a nightmare when I was around 4 years old... I would scare my parents with my screaming as they attempted to wake me up.. When I woke up they always asked me what I was dreaming about.. All I could tell them was... there was a lot of noise and I was really scared. I have vivid memories of the whole experience because it was really bad and the dream repeated over and over again for several years You are right I could not explain the dream for two very good reasons.. Firstly I was seeing things I had never seen before and had no clue what they were let alone know the words to describe what they were .. and I had no clue about what was going on.. it was all well beyond my abilities of comprehension and I'm sure the abilities of any 4 year child.. So I had no clue what was going on and did not know the words to describe what was-going even if I did understand.. so all I could tell my parents was.. there was a lot of noise and I was really scared ..That was the limit of the abilities of a 4 year child to describe what was going on... Its not relevant to the this discussion what the memories were about.. But it was not until I was around 16 years old did I fully understand what was going on.. As I said the dream was vivid and was never forgotten because it happened over and over again
    From my experience you have every right to question the abilities of young children to recall complicated previous incarnation memories

All The Best

SeaAndSky and KenJ like this.
  17. Jack E

Jack E Senior Member

I'd say it stands to reason that having a past life would correlate strongly with earlier speaking ages, among other milestones. After all, the child knew how to speak in the PL, so unless they spoke a different language, they don't need to learn how to talk, like most kids do. They already know the words, the only constraint placed on their speech is just reaching the level of physical and neurological development necessary to move your tongue with the right amount of precision. So I see no contradiction in kids' ability to talk about PLM's at a much earlier age than you might expect. I'd flat-out expect it, actually.

Skeeter likes this.
  18. The last age.

The last age. Active Member

Many children are born in a culture ,or country different from the last one they lived in and of course a different language .In my family where speaking
    two languages was normal another language is easy to tackle .It is mainly the rather limited Anglophone world which believes all the world speaks English(and loves it )but those who are forced to speak another language most often are of a higher conciousness than those who speak only one .
    Doing so, is in fact part of our spiritual growth .(the Holy Spirit aids here )

19. KenJ

You speak as though you think that only some of us reincarnate, don't you think that that is a non-defensible position? It would be like still holding onto the "all crows are black" even after finding crows of different colors. If any of us are reincarnated, all of us are except for "New" souls which I question. as Andy Weir's "The Egg" so apply demonstrates, only one soul is required.

Eva1942 and Speedwell like this.
  20. Jack E

Jack E Senior Member

Universal reincarnation strikes me as preposterous. I don't know where the idea comes from, besides Eastern religious beliefs, because it is a hypothesis without an observation. Less than 1% of births manifest PLM's, and that's an observation, which leads to the hypothesis that reincarnation is possible, which then must be tested to confirm it. For the other >99% of us, there is no observation, so no basis on which to form a hypothesis at all. The point being, even if universal "reincarnation" does occur, it might as well not, because it has no observable effect on our lives or the world, so it just doesn't matter. Your crows comparison would apply if I were claiming "no children are reincarnated" even after finding PLM kids; we have as much license to claim "all children are reincarnated" as we do "all crows are white". I don't see how I'm misapplying the scientific method. Why do I seem to be cursed with raising some controversy in every other post I make? It's frustrating, because I feel like I'm being as careful as I could be about what I claim, given how little we truly know of reincarnation right now.