Adults who were children with PL memories

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Wulfie, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Hi,
    I wondered if there were any books, research, or interviews and such with or about adults who were children that grew up remembering their past lives?

Wulfie

2. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Well I'm one

I have never seen such a book, although I am sure they must be out there. I am sure I saw something in the paper in only the last couple of years about kids in India remembering their past lives and getting back in touch with long-lost relatives and knowing things only they could know and so forth. One little girl about 7 years old who had been a much beloved Grandmother for instance was sitting in the living room bossing her (former) son around who was now into his 60s and he was loving it. There was a problem though, as with all things, there were some charlatans taking advantage and running scams taking advantage of the recently bereaved.

I grew up remembering things. At first, when I was very small, I never questioned it. It just was what it was. I noticed before long though that certain behaviour was considered odd and learned to hide it.

For example one time when I was about four or so I was at a party with my parents and some Scottish music came on the stereo and I just knew how to do it, and started dancing - I knew how to hold my hands and how to do the hopping on one leg thingy they do. My parents' friends thought this was very cute and asked my parents how long I had been having lessons. My parents were a little dumbstruck (I still remember my mother's expression a mixture of confusion, pride and fear) as I was not getting lessons of course. My feet just knew what to do and it was fun and up I hopped and started dancing around gleefully because I heard the music and it was irresistible to me - one fist on one hip and the other hand in the air. I remember thinking rather regretfully that I wished I had a kilt and proper shoes instead of my party shoes which made it a bit hard to do it properly.

Another time in sport class in primary school (maybe age 8 or so) I picked up a javelin for the first time and I remember balancing it in my hand, knowing it was a 'toy' one and rather badly made, and poorly balanced, but nevertheless taking a couple of steps back and then hoiking this thing through the air as though I had been doing it all my life - muscular memory can be very powerful. The teacher and everyone was astonished of course and made a big fuss and wanted me to do it again, but I realised I had done something inappropriate and flubbed it like all the other kids from then on. I just wanted to fit in and had begun to realise that these types of episodes had already given me the reputation of being a bit weird.

I used to go off by myself and play what I thought of as imagination games. I would remember hunting for instance as a young boy in Africa and would 'play' at doing this - flooded with the memories and sights and smells of running across the grassy plains with my brothers. If other kids asked me what I was doing running around by myself I would just say 'nothing'.

When I was a teenager I sort of forgot about it all. When I would have these flashes I just ignored them or told myself my imagination was over active and so on. Then I read a book about reincarnation and realised what it was all about. Then I met someone I had known before and it all sort of fell into place and made sense. Now as an adult, if anything I am getting better at it, but I still hardly mention it to anyone as they give you this 'look'.

3. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Hi Tanguerra!

I enjoyed reading about your experiences and look forward to reading more.

I can just imagine your parents' faces when you began your Scottish dancing! *L* ;) I'm curious, is this something you pursued as you got older?

4. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Childish fun

No, not the Scottish dancing. I do enjoy various forms of dance and am obsessed with Tango at the moment (hence the nom de plume) - have been doing it for several years. I have done flamenco and various other things over the years (this life).

I know there must have been a lot of dancing in my previous lives (I think I went through a bit of a 'phase' once I 'evolved' to the point where I gave up spitting people with spears, etc.). I remember and Indian dancing school, which I described in a different post for instance. I still like to do the moves sometimes just for fun. I am great at balancing on one leg.

5. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Tanguerra, I was one of those kids also! As a child I played on the banks of the Little Arkansas river. I was in my element, hunting, fishing, building shelter. I felt home...but I didn't dare tell anyone of this love, they all thought I was just another Huck Finn kinda kid. I didn't put it all together til a few years ago. I don't think my family would have EVER put past lives into their way of thinking. I believe societies like India, where it is more accepted, would be the most likely place to find books on the subject.

I loved your post...reminded me of me.

Tinkerman

6. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Wulfie,

I've had pl memories from early childhood.

Luckily for me -- my Grandma kept a journal, which has helped me to verify the past life memories I have now -- and reconcile them with ones I had as a small child.

I can't stress enough -- the importance of keeping a journal -- and I am so thankful she had the foresight and patience -- to do that for me. : angel

Ailish :)

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Registered

I had several childhood fragments/visions that stayed with me all my life. I never recognized them as possible PL memories until recently, though.

Among others, when I was seven, and fully awake, I saw what I thought was a ghost--a woman standing in my family's kitchen. I can still see her now, as clear as day. I now feel pretty certain I was seeing a vision of myself in a previous life, which may explain why she seemed so familiar and yet so frightening to my seven-year-old mind.

P.S. Like your picture, Wulfie ;)

Lonewolf

8. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Hi Tanguerra,

It is getting a little weird, isn't it? (And I haven't mentioned that I had a thing for Scottish dancing and song when I was a kid, and still do now and often speak in a brogue. I loved Braveheart too.) It's also funny to me that you live in one of the few places that I'd love to visit. The others are Hawiaii and...Scotland. lol)

I am enjoying this chance to talk about various things and discovering, as you said, that there are others out there. Though I really have almost no interest in the science or religious side of reincarnation. I swear some of it puts me in a coma even when I'm trying my level best to get into it. At times I feel this is some sort of failure on my part. :butbut: Instead I enjoy the exchange of experiences and possibilities and comparing notes in that vein.

Wulfie

9. Wulfie

Wulfie Dreamer

Hi Lonewolf,

Isn't it funny how that happens? That light bulb suddenly goes on and a whole string of thoughts, feelings, and experiences suddenly take on new meaning and form.

I, personally, have no doubt that some of our other lives can act as ghosts both to us and to others. It just makes sense to me. And yes, it would be a rush to a seven year old.

Thanks. I like yours too and chuckled about not being the only wolf stalking the halls of this place. lol

Wulfie

10. IrisG.

IrisG. Senior Registered

Anyone here who had memories as a child?

Okay, it is not so easy to formulate my questions but I´ll try: Is there anybody who still remembers how it feels to have past-life-memories as a child? I don`t mean remembering the fact of having had those memories but actually how it is to remember (I hope I was able to express what I´d like to ask). Just as an example concerning my own early childhood: I still have memories of my early childhood (in this life, I don`t have past-life-memories) but I don`t remember how I remembered things as a child. I hope this doesn`t sound to weird...:confused:

Iris

11. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Hm...good question, Iris :) I think I understand what you mean.

I don't remember specific past life memories, but I do remember that when I was a child I was completely absorbed by all things medieval, all things historical in general really. I'd have scenes play out in my head, I knew exactly how they dressed, how they acted. I played 'medieval times' in my parents' back yard and '1700s' with my Barbie Dolls. When I drew I only drew ladies in historical dresses, I even made a cartoon with a viking family with names I later found to be authentic, which I ofcourse didn't know back then.

Back then I didn't doubt what I saw, I never tried to validate it or write it down (mainly because they were part of playing and it would have interrupted it, I guess :rolleyes:). It was just very matter-of-fact. It's hard to explain, but back then I didn't think much of reincarnation and even if I had, I probably wouldn't have thought of past life memories as I was completely absorbed in my games and my images - you know how kids can be lost in their games, in their 'imagination' ( ;) ) and not notice anything or anyone else around them for hours.

Of course now I wish I had been aware of this. I'm sure many memories have been 'lost'. I would be very curious to go back and observe myself playing these games and remember to take notes this time :D

12. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think I know what you mean, Iris. My past life memory came in the form of bad dream at regular intervals. It was unlike my 'normal' dreams, this one was always very intense, and always the same, and it would always leave me subdued for the whole of the next day. Like Sunniva, I was also unaware of reincarnation for a long time. Before that, I felt that I hadn't always been a small child, in the dream I was 'grown up'....(and also I was a girl) but I didn't know there was a name for any of this, and I didn't know that other people experienced it, I felt I was alone with it and this confused me. Many children seem to have such a clear understanding, as they recall their former lives in a 'matter of fact' tone of voice, I was never like this, maybe because I knew that I would never be allowed to talk openly about it.

As far as I can recall, there were no specific memories during my waking hours, but obviously they were there just below the surface. As well as a fascination for volcano's (at school, whenever I had a pencil and paper to hand, I would always be doodling a volcano belching smoke and ash like I saw in my dreams, my schoolbooks were covered in little drawings) Pompeii and the eruption of Vesuvius was one of the first things I remember learning about that really caught my interest at school. I was also fascinated with wooden sailing ships, and they too found their way onto the cover of my schoolbooks (hmm, I'm really showing myself up here for spending hours of the day at school in a dreamworld, when I should have been paying attention to my teacher!) - : angel:D

13. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

i remember two things from when i was little...there's more that i've posted elsewhere but....one is of insisting i wanted to "go back to england" - specifically london - and my mom would just roll her eyes at me because of course i was born in alaska and always lived there...but even up til a few years ago i would tell people i want to go back to england...and ppl are like "wow when did you travel to england?" and then i realize "oh yeah i've never been there" LOL ....when i was little we used to rent a tv and vcr from a store in town and the only movie i wanted to watch was mary poppins and mostly because it was london and oldtimes and i'd watch it over and over as long as we rented the equipment for it and even now, all grown up, i love that movie because it shows london and i used to see the movie and think that some of the things they did weren't quite the way it really was LOL

also when i was little every time i drew a house the smoke had to curl down from teh chimney...i remember mom correcting me over and over that's not how smoke goes but i INSISTED that smoke goes down from chimneys:laugh: i still wonder if that pertains to anything PL

14. Val

Val Member

I remember at about age three seeing a vision of sand dunes (I lived near Eureka California at the time, so sand dunes were not in my expierence) and people wearing white robes walking in a line. There was a feeling of peace and happiness about it. At the time I didn't know what reincarnation was, so I didn't think it was a past life memory. Now in retrospect I believe it was a past life memory.

There was another memory that seemed to take place in the 1920's or 30's, but I got it confused with my current life when I was a child. My mother looked very different though, and as a teenager I was able to reconize it as a past life memory.

15. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Once while meditating as an adult I suddenly had a memory flash of my childhood in this life - that I hadn't remembered consciously before.

In the flash I'm about 3 years old and I'm waking up in the morning. My mother is sitting on my bed side next to me, and I say to her "Mum, I had a dream that I was black!" There were practically no black people in the whole of Finland back then (around 1980), I had never seen one, and I was actually using a word that would be regarded very derogatory nowadays, but wasn't back then in Finland).

Now I know that in my most recent past life I was an African-American girl. I haven't remembered to ask my mother if she remembers me telling her such a thing when I was 3.

Karoliina

16. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Hi Iris,

I’ve had memories since I was very small. I remembered other places, other families – other languages and cultures. I never really thought too much about it – it was just a “knowing” - just something that was. Many of my pl's showed themselves in play – in behaviors – in likes and dislikes – and in things I said to my family.

I think occasionally there was a minor confusion – as there was no differentiation of time. It’s hard to explain the experience in words – but in that moment your consciousness is back there – yet you are here with your family in the present. Children slip in and out of an altered state extremely easily. ;)

Ailish

17. wednesday

wednesday Senior Registered

I remember "remembering" but it's hard to explain. It was almost like an altered state of conscience where you could see and be in the other time combined with what seemed like someone opening up your mind to see it. That doesn't seem to make much sense by just reading it but I can't really describe it. Maybe saying God, Higher Power, the Universe, whatever let you tap into another kind of memory to see it would be saying it better. I just know when I remembered it was very real but I couldn't usually remember on my own, some "higher power" it seemed had to open the door. I remembered things back as far as I can remember but the things I told my mother she wrote off as an overactive imagination. After I was 4 or 5 I kept it to myself.

18. JanY

JanY New Member

Glad I found this as it's an interesting topic. My mum used to refer to me as an 'old soul' when I was a child and has always talked about how old I sounded at a very young age.

One memory from my early childhood is always having the feeling that I had been left with my family by someone else, to grow up with them and observe them. At the time I accepted this as a normal feeling but not one that others would have. As such I didn't mention it to anyone. Looking back this was a bit odd as I am definitely not adopted and I have a lovely, caring family, a very happy, secure childhood in fact.

I used to have quite a few dreams when I was a child that seem to relate to the PL I think I had. For example, I used to dream that I was being electrocuted by my father which is a very odd dream for a 6 year old or so to have. I recently found out that in my PL I received electric shock therapy after being committed to an institution by my father. I still remember those dreams very vividly but as a child I didn't relate them to a PL - just thought they were odd and slightly scary dreams. I didn't mention them to my parents though and I remember thinking I would hurt my father's feelings if I did.

So I was conscious of being a lot more adult than other children and I couldn't ever relax and enjoy being a child - I just wanted to get back to being an adult as that was what I felt was more normal for me. I also remember feeling very sad and alone some of the time and would just go down the end of the garden and cry with longing for something I could not articulate (this was up to the age of around 10). Odd when you think about it as my parents were lovely and as I said my childhood was very nice. I didn't think this was unusual at the time though - just accepted it. However, I do remember being aware that other children probably didn't feel like this and it was not something that I would ever mention to anyone. There didn't seem any need and as a child these feelings felt deeply personal. It didn't even cross my mind to mention them to my family as I knew that they would not get what I was talking about. So I just accepted and waited to grow up.

19. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

Thanks for sharing, JanY. It's interesting to read how differently children relate to their past life experiences. It's also fascinating to read how mature you were about it all. Comforting in a way. :)

Karoliina

20. Sunny1994

Sunny1994 SUNNY1994

Reading this last post, brought back a memory of a dream I had as a Child. It was really kind weird, but I remember being terrified of it at the time. I was prob. 7-8, and my Mom and some unknown guy, had me strapped to a chair. And, they were strapping things that, at the time, I thought looked like firecrackers, all over me. And, I remember them talking amongst themselves, but no matter what I said or did they wouldn't acknowledge me. But, I knew their intent was to blow me up. This was a reacurring dream, and had quite a large impact on me as a child. Not sure if there was anything PL related to it((though since it had such a big impact one me, makes me really wonder)), or just crazy stuff as a kid. But, reading thru all of this made it all come to the front of my mind again.:rolleyes: