Antarctica

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by briski, Dec 19, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

Following on from the other thread, i thought i would create a seperate thread on this, any ideas why no one is allowed on this land? Why there was a treaty signed from every country agreeing no one to go to this land, and why anyone not authorised gets immediately shot. This isnt a conspiracy all the above.

2. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

There was something at TV lately, in a documentary. They said that as Antarctica isn't suitable for living there anyway, it was used as testing grounds for military things like tanks. Maybe there are still tests like with drones or what ever new technologies there are?

3. briski

briski Senior Registered

Theres all kinds of rumours, even a hitler story. Even a googlemaps photo of a building or something under the ice. There is definitely something there.

4. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

That’s interesting briski. I’ve never really thought about it but now I’m compelled to research the topic.
    Not sure if you’ve ever heard of it, but there’s a place called Area 51 in Nevada. There’s all these theories about what goes on over there, it’s pretty sketchy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

There's plenty of people there right now and if I'm not mistaken, you can book a cruise and tour there. Its something I've wanted to do.

Quite a few countries maintain science research stations there. Its also quite dangerous to get to. Having to pass by the tip of Chile is the most dangerous crossing in the world.

Its not restricted by any means. The treaty states that it belongs to no country and can't be used as a military outpost.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Treaty_System

Speedwell likes this.
  6. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

Are you people kidding?

Try google searches ...

Top 10 Antarctica Cruises & Tours
    • Antarctic Peninsula. 12 Days from $9,995. ...
    • Antarctic Peninsula - Basecamp Plancius. 12 Days from $7,950. ...
    • Antarctic Explorer: Discovering the 7th Continent. ...
    • Crossing the Antarctic Circle. ...
    • Antarctica - Off the Beaten Path. ...
    • Antarctic Small Ship Expedition. ...
    • Classic Antarctica. ...
    • Polar Circle Air Cruise.

Can you visit Antarctica as a tourist?

No documentation or visas are required to visit Antarctica, but if your cruise stops off at other countries en route, visas and documentation may be required for them. It is worth thinking about what you will do on your Antarctic trip beyond icebergs and glaciers.

Is it illegal to go to Antarctica?
    Legally one can go to Antarctica at any time and not only go, you can move anywhere over Antarctica. ... It is not illegal to go to Antarctica. There is absolutely no control of any entry. I can show you my passports: exit and entry stamps for South Africa, but no corresponding entry and exit stamps for any other country.

Best Things To Do In Antarctica: Tourist Attractions
    • Get Up Close & Personal With The Penguins: ...
    • Swim in Antarctica at Deception Bay. ...
    • Take a Zodiac Cruise In Antarcitca. ...
    • Send a Post Card from Antarctica: Port Lockroy. ...
    • View the Natural Beauty at the Lemaire Channel. ...
    • Admire the Wildlife. ...
    • Kayaking & Camping in Antarctica.

Can I live in Antarctica?

The people who travel to or live in Antarctica fall into two main groups, those wholive and work on scientific research stations or bases, and tourists. No-one lives inAntarctica indefinitely in the way that they do in the rest of the world. It has no commercial industries, no towns or cities, no permanent residents.​

Try images and videos too ...

Speedwell likes this.
  7. briski

briski Senior Registered

you can not freely explore Antarctic. That is a lie. You can take a trip and do tours, yes.

Ritter likes this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

If its not owned by any country they have no right to legally restrict your movements there. You may be denied access to laboratories etc but they can't stop you from landing, walking around etc.

9. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

A tour over there would be pretty interesting, thanks for giving me an idea of something to add to my bucket list haha

There’s a show on Netflix called Blue Planet 2 if anyone’s interested. There’s some neat stuff about the animals and sea life that live over there. But some of it’s kinda depressing since a lot of the ice is melting and this is affecting the animals in a very negative way.

10. Ritter

Ritter Banned by Moderators

I have read extensively about what you are talking about. With that, I mean a few tens of hours. There is little information. But some of it is highly weird/disturbing. Not least of all the Operation High Jump information and admiral Byrd. To be honest, I have long hoped it is something relating to MY Germany.

briski likes this.