Any one believe in or aware of the Gnostic

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by briski, Sep 8, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

Idea that going towards the light is a trap? and the Archons etc
    I find the idea quite interesting, not sure i fully believe in it. I suspect im more likely to be like a moth going to the light lol

2. briski

briski Senior Registered

So from what i have read. The Gnostic idea is that reincarnation is a trap that the archons try to manipulate us into reincarnating again as they feed off our souls /spirits emotions.
    If we refuse or fight them off we can do pretty much whatever we like. We are apparently divine beings, and more powerful than them but we dont realise it until we been tricked intp signing up to another reincarnation.

Interesting idealism. I wonder how true

3. GreyReynard

GreyReynard Senior Member

I am familiar with the gnostic teachings. Well the Christian ones. Been down that rabbit hole. My understanding of the teachings go like this. The Gnostics felt that an imperfect god created an imperfect world using energy from a more perfect being. He wants to keep us trapped in his creation in order to perpetuate his works. Hence the light and reincarnation. Jesus’s gnostic teachings were to abstain from earthly pleasures in order to escape this world. By doing this you also were to have no children. This would allow you to better love others because this would eliminate nepotism. Basically, you were to reject and not participate in this creation. If you were to die and avoid the reincarnation trap, then you would be able to reunite the energy used to make you from the perfect being back into the source so to speak. After this being regains all of his energy in this manner, the perfect being is reborn and he will create a perfect world.

I don’t remember the archons. Sounds a lot like the thetans from Scientology.

Maybe this thread would be better in the religion area.

4. briski

briski Senior Registered

Archon is a servant of the Demiurgei in Gnostic beliefs

5. GreyReynard

Let me head back into the rabbit hole, and we can have a bit of better conversation

briski likes this.
  6. briski

briski Senior Registered

Hahaha

7. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Briski,

As Grey says, the Dualist/Gnostic current is very old and is generally pretty kooky. It also varies a great deal in terms of intensity and content. The "Christian" varieties range from just wacko to a somewhat more stringent version of Christian asceticism. I.e., hard dualism to soft dualism. After a while it can become difficult to tell some of the milder versions from some forms of esoteric/ascetic Christianity. However, the harder forms are all (from what I can tell) characterized by a belief that the physical universe was always debased/evil and was created by a lesser entity with it being our job to escape from this corrupted world to the light universe of the real deity. Likewise, in the "Christian" varieties of Gnosticism, the evil deity who created the physical world is the God of the Old Testament, while the "Father" in the New Testament is the real high deity, with Jesus being sent to show us how to escape and return to the light. (This is very similar to some forms of Catharism). The "hard" versions of Gnosticism/Dualism are usually also characterized by stuff like complicated hierarchies of Archons and secret angel names/passwords to help one in the ascent.

Some of this is not so very different in some respects from certain types of esoteric/ascetic Christianity. The general Christian belief is, of course, that the Highest created the physical universe and made it good, but that it was corrupted at some point by evil--with an evil entity or entities usually sharing blame with humanity for its ruin. Still, the end result is somewhat similar: a fairly rotten world. However, in the Christian version, the goodness of the original creation still shines through and it is our job to redeem it and ourselves via a restored relationship with the creator. In the Gnostic version it is irredeemably evil and the only thing we can do is try and escape from it to a God higher than the one who created it. As you are probably aware, there is also a strong current of this type of world rejecting asceticism in some strains of Christianity, and Christianity has slipped into this mode often enough both in individuals and in particular eras. So, I'm not surprised when it crops up in various forms in the current day as well as in history.

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    GreyReynard likes this.
  8. GreyReynard

Haven’t been able to spend as much time as I like on this researching. Enjoyed reading your post sea & sky.

So far what I have been reading has been incredibly complicated with all the levels of archons and such.

As far as my impressions on how right it is. Well, there are times I have felt like our physical/material existence is comparable to hell, but I think the creator has good intentions.

Also, I have looked through almost all of the nderf website’s NDEs. Some of them sound like utter bs. But, I feel there is a lot of truth there as well. If he were trying to keep us imprisoned, he would never tell anyone it was not their time and send them back. He’d just toss them back into a new body while wiping their memory. Many of these people also seem to legitimately want to make the world a better place and teach about love being the only important thing there is after coming back.

I do like the idea of gnosis in a way. Basically, knowledge is what confers salvation. That seems correct to me. Trying to figure out the truth is difficult. There are so many people who are outright dishonest for their own gain. It is hard to know who and what to trust.

briski likes this.
  9. briski

briski Senior Registered

I just looked through nderf myself after you mentioned it. It doesnt seem as active as here imo. Was a little disappointed to be honest

GreyReynard likes this.
  10. GreyReynard

I go through the near death experience reports or stories. They have reports going way back and new ones posted every couple days. The archives go pretty far back and have a fair amount of reports. I don’t really look at their forums.

briski and Speedwell like this.