Any thoughts on what this case of high strangeness was?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by xtriggerman, Jul 8, 2017.

1. xtriggerman

xtriggerman New Member

Hello folks.
    I would like to describe something that happened to me 42 years ago when I was 16 and see if any one here has ever read about what it may have been.
    This "thing" happened about 6 different times during the fall and winter of 1975. I would go to bed at about 11pm and sometimes would lay there in bed just thinking what I was going to do the next day or just thinking about the day past when I would begin to hear a very faint humming type of quiet wind roaring. Once I could focus on the sound, I could also begin to see something up in the same corner of the ceiling above a closet door. It was always the same thing in the same place. It begins like a small Coffey can size of swirling semi transparent grey smoke, and quickly develops into a larger and larger swirling, tumbling mass. As it grew in size, the sound of that humming type of groaning with varying pitch would eventually "look" as if it would literally blow everything around in the room that isn't tied down but the swirling mass had no physical effect on items in the room. It would quickly encompass all the air in the room as it made its way directly to me and in an instant, it would completely emplace its self into my chest just as if I had a huge shop vac in my solar plexus sucking this swirling loud mass into my body.
    The result of this was complete paralization of my body except I could roll my eyes and breath. Also, every inch of my skin was tingling with pins and needles.....badly. I was scared out of my wits and would fight this thing with every thought wanting it out, out, out! but to no avail. As soon as I gave up fighting it mentally, it would leave out of me the same way it came in. The first time this happened, I shot out of bed and ran down to my grandmothers room and told her all about it to see if she knew what it was but she only said their are many different forest spirits that one may have tried to take over my body. Once one of these episodes was over, The clock would show time of 12:30 to as late as 1:30. Mind you the entire episode "felt" like 2 or 3 very lonnng minutes but according to the clock, it was anywhere from 1 to 2 hours latter in the night.
    A long time ago I read that abducties also suffer paralysis but I have a hard time going there since there is not the smallest inkling of memory of me going or doing anything other than what I have described.
    So, there it is........ has any one here ever read of such a thing or maybe could suggest a book that describes just what the heck was going on all those years ago?

2. BethC

BethC Senior Registered

Hi xtriggerman. There is actually sleep paralysis. Usually, we will be unaware of this happening to us. It is a natural state and part of R.E.M. However, when we experience sleep paralysis in a waking or just falling off to sleep state, we are conscious of our mind/body preparing itself for deeper states of sleep. The paralysis is to protect ourselves from wild physical movements we may make while dreaming. If we are still 'awake' we may feel as if we are paralyzed (which, essentially we are). It can also be accompanied by visual and auditory 'hallucinations. I also likened it to the sound and visual effects of a tv that has lost the signal (from the old days. LOL) Static, if you will. The tingling aways felt to me what 'static' would feel like. This is normal,
    Now, that being said, there are more 'paranormal' associations with your experience...such as out of body experiences/astral travel. Part of what you describe, sounds like the beginning of the separation of physical and spirit (not to necessarily mean as in dying). People can have out of body experiences during otherwise normal pre-sleep activity, not necessarily during severe traumatic states. People will describe similar experiences where they hear the rushing sound and then a loud pop or crack, and then they feel that they have separated from their physical body...they may 'look' down on themselves sleeping, and may 'float' away from their physical self. If one is anxious about this experience, they very often feel that they are 'sucked' or 'pulled' back into their body, which may be similar to what you experienced. Eventually, most out of body experiences end up with the experience of being sucked back into their body at some physical point, like you said it was the solar plexus. I hope this explains in part what you experienced, or answers your question. I'm sure others here can add more.

Mere Dreamer likes this.
  3. xtriggerman

xtriggerman New Member

Thank you BethC for your reply. Some of what you say may fit the case but I don't think I was the source of that tumbling semi transparent smoke like mass of whatever. After the first or second episode, I distinctly remember thinking to my self..... "Oh no, NOT AGAIN" when I started to hear that noise and then sure enough, there it is starting to swirl in that very same ceiling corner of the room. After it was over I was so mentally exhausted, I would just fall asleep like a rock for the rest of the night. Once I realized it would soon depart without harming me, I wasn't so freaked out when it took over. I think it was certainly something other than me but who knows, the human existence is a mystery.

4. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

I'm not too familiar with this kind of things, but I think it could possibly be a night visit of some sort. Sometimes other beings (incarnate or discarnate alike) can manifest in night visions and if your mind is receptive they can influence your perception. I haven't had any "night visits", if anything it happened only when I was already in deep sleep but thankfully in the dream it was never full paralysis, I was always alert enough to react (even just partly). But I've heard of people who had similar 'encounters' between wake and sleep and they experienced what is called sleep paralysis, they were unable to move and felt a sense of impending danger coming closer and closer. But there is the fact that that "thing" never really harmed you, at least not physically, though you were afraid of it at first and fought it with your mind... and became exhausted because of the mental resistance. So I guess we can't really guess why that thing was there, but if it meant you any harm I think you would've experienced something worse. Of all my "encounters" no one was ever capable of harming me, but my aunt was visited by more than one entity that manifested clearly and caused her severe physical harm. I guess that if you came out of this experience unharmed, that thing wasn't hostile, maybe it was just watching you or it simply decided to leave you be.

5. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

I know sleep paralysis, all family members 'suffer' from it now and then. To us, it happens just before waking up, not before falling asleep. It is always nasty and the hallucinations are like real life.
    I really don't know why the ugly creatures pop up during a sleep paralysis. It is somehow like a mirror: if you don't care, the impact is less than when you're frightened.
    We discovered our own system in the house. Even when you are in a sleep paralysis, it is possible to make a low humming sound with the vocal cords. As soon as we hear this sound, we all jump to the one who is asleep, to wake him up. Interesting enough we are able to hear this sound through multiple walls.

6. xtriggerman

xtriggerman New Member

Thanks for all the reply's. In my case, I tried to cry out for help from my brother who's bed room door was just 15 feet away from mine but I couldn't get any sound out at all. All tho, I didn't think of humming, it seemed like the brain to body nervous system was completely detached aside from life giving functions.

7. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

It is possible to make a sound, an ugly unearthly sound, very low. It needs a little practice perhaps, to make it and to recognize it (your brother) but Good Luck!
    Oh... when you try to wake someone (shaking, clapping in de face) don't stop until the other one confirms: I am ok.
    If not, the sleep paralysis might continue. (almost awake, but still awful realistic hallucinations in the bedroom)