Are We Stardust?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by Karen25, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Karen25

Karen25 New Member

2. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Good article. Thanks for posting.

I love this quote:
    I think it is beautiful that the wisdom of "ancient" people is so relevant today. And, well, who cannot think of Joni Mitchell's song... “We are stardust, we are golden, and we got to get ourselves back to the garden.”

~Tman

3. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Karen, welcome to the forum. I accept the thoughts that the human form dates back some twenty to thirty thousand years with human-like forms going back somewhere like two hundred thousand years or more (if my memory is correct). But, this is talking about the "body" or vehicle that is material, and that substance (body material) is composed of matter that exists here on Earth and probably elsewhere and thus could be called stardust. The essence of who I am is something more than that IMHO that involves consciousness, memory, senses, emotions, and thought-creation that would lead to communication and religion (among everything else).

I would imagine that the questions of birth and death would be something that would happen pretty early in the development of a species capable of that level of consciousness, especially if there were memories like many of us have had - which would lead to shared beliefs and thus a "religion". But, that is just my understanding and thoughts about it.

Civilization = "the stage of human social development and organization that is considered most advanced" So, using this definition, one would have to decide whether or not "religion" equates to "most advanced" in order to answer your question. I would guess that it was at some point in the past although I'm not sure that it has that meaning at this time in history. I'm not saying that it is not important or necessarily outmoded, just that our experiences lead us in various directions and our priorities and needs change.

I'm sitting here thinking about the small group of classmates (all octogenarians at this time) who meet occasionally where I'm the only one holding a belief in reincarnation - are my thoughts more "advanced"? Which of us is more "civilized"? I don't see it as particularly relevant (in that group anyway), but that thought might give you something to ponder.

4. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

From Wikipedia:

Religion may be defined as a cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements. However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion.
    There are an estimated 10,000 distinct religions worldwide,[9] but about 84% of the world's population is affiliated with one of the five largest religions, namely Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or forms of folk religion.

The anthropomorphic models of the Universe served a historical need, but are as accurate as the Earth centered models, or the flat Earth models, as far as I believe / know. Our beliefs are the biggest obstacle in our progress both in physical, and non-physical (afterlife).