Are you afraid of death..?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Kristopher, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

Even though you have a belief in life after? I'm possibly 90% convinced that we survive after death, so that 10% still makes dieing a scary thought to me.

I suppose it's only natural to fear such an event. It's not just death itself that's rather frightening to me, it's that there's so many horrible ways the "angel of death" can take us.:laugh:

2. Gerania

Gerania New Member

Perhaps you could try reading Roger Woolger's "Healing Your Past Lives". It might just be the antidote to that 10% of doubt you have lingering on. I have just finished it and I recommend it: pleasant to read, elegantly written. I have found that over the past twenty years or so, reading widely about reincarnation, nde's, after-death communication, ghosts, clairvoyance and other human experiences and stories has bolstered my sense of myself as an immortal soul immensely. ;)

3. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Active Member

Not so much anymore (since I've become bitter and jaded over the past few years:() but I remember as a child of 6 I was in a cemetary and a thought hit me:

after this life, that's it...... forever!

What a terrifying thought for a happy go lucky child! This is probably the first step that ultimately ended up with me here. I had the same feelings come back from 18-20 and was petrified to do anything or talk to anyone. I'm still puzzled when just about everyone says young men have delusions of invincibility because I was the complete opposite of that.

Even with the knowledge I've gained it's hard to completely eliminate that fear. I know I was driven almost crazy about the idea that a God would send anyone to an eternal hell. Even though I knew the idea was completely absurd there is always that tiny bit of doubt. I've since learned to become a little more closed minded because being completely open minded 100% of the time can drive you crazy and not so nice people know how to take full advantage of it.

4. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I don't feel fear for death...I feel fear for pain. To me, death is just the transition...and I would like that transition to come without feeling the effects causing that death.

I also have a strong belief we are spared that sense of being ripped limb from limb by large cats (in Rome), or flying through the air from the car and staving in our heads against a metal railing (in Newport, R.I.), or having our innards blown to outards by machine gun fire (in southern Italy). Each of those transitions were met solely with bodily pressure at the points of impact, but no agonizing realization of pain, although the image I got of the lion pulling off my arm included a look of agony on my face at the time, I felt only the pressure. Then immediately after the pressure came the unbelieveble sense of relief...absolute relief, love, happiness, and lightness.

If this is something we do time and again, why not make it so our ends, despite the views from the human side, are as easy, painless and smooth as possible?

5. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Yes, for lots of reasons:

A) I could be completely wrong about what happens next. I don't think so, but there is a part of me that keeps its ballance by reminding myself that I could be completely imagining things.

B) Pain and fear really suck!

C) I am responsible for too many people right now to leave them here on their own.

6. KnickKnack

KnickKnack New Member

Absolutely.

My main fear concerning death is leaving behind my child. Sure, there's a chance I could watch over him from the other side, but to me it's not the same. Leaving him on his own is one of the scariest things I can even consider.

As others have mentioned, beliefs about what happens next could be wrong ... and if so, that's scary to me. Yes, I can believe something, and evidence leans towards supporting that belief, however there is always the possibility of being wrong.

Pain is another consideration for me. I have a low pain threshold, and don't see not being afraid of 99.9% of ways of dying.

Then there is the unknown aspect. I am not good with facing new things blindly ... even in life, I have to ease in to things, if we're going to a new place, I research and plan, and at times, even do a 'trial run' with the route, etc. Yeah, I have issues :tongue: Again, I believe we live on (could be wrong though ... there's no 100% irrefutable proof beyond the shadow of a doubt .. for me at least) but even if we do ... not knowing the details concerns me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  7. usetawuz

Blueheart and Knickknack, I see your points about leaving behind loved ones for whom you feel responsibility, and right now I would be devastated to leave behind my 18 and 12 year olds...it is a heartbreaking thought.

I also see it from the standpoint of our souls. From the time of our lifeplan, those with whom we intend to incarnate and in whatever capacity or role we intend to play for each other, we all have an understanding of the potential and possibility for shortened lifetimes, human tragedies and other events for which we came here to experience...some events more highly probable than others.

I take immense solace in the knowledge that those I love while incarnate are, on the other side, always with me, loved forever, and loved incredibly deeper than we can possibly imagine. This assuages my fear of death and enables me to deal with the incarnate loss...after all, its not the death which is traumatic, but rather the blinding pain of loss for the remainder of that life.

Along the same line, but sideways, I was told that we are spiritually responsible WITH our children, and while incarnate, we are only responsible FOR our children during their minority. It is our incarnate duty to give them the tools and skills to enable them to properly navigate this incarnate lifetime, and after that they have their own lifepaths to follow, just as we have. They may be inexperienced humans, but they are very experienced souls.

8. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

Yeah!

I think there's something after death, but am not completely convinced. So I worry about living, enjoying my life...then suddenly...nothing? And even if there is, I'll still have lost everying that I have now.

9. Red Night

Red Night Senior Registered

A little.

The pain part isn't a very jolly feeling, but as far as I'm concerned whatever happens after isn't much to worry about. If there is more to it all than just this, then great, but if everything really just goes dark and that's the end, so be it. What am I going to do? I won't have thought anymore and it's not like I'll be able to feel anything.

But then again, maybe there's something else besides those two alternatives... and that can be a scary thought.

10. Leesea

Leesea Senior Registered

I'm pretty old now so the fear that still lingers a little is not as strong as it was when I was younger. When I was 8 years old I had seen an accident in which a young girl was killed. I saw them carry her out of the car. From that day forward I would try to imagine what it felt like to be dead and not exist. It was impossible because not existing means nothing and trying to feel the nothingness was a trip. So all that contributed to my fear.

11. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

To quote my uncle.. "Its not death I'm afraid off, its how I die I'm afraid off.."

12. beadtrader

beadtrader New Member

I don't think I'm afraid. I came close a few years ago and it was fascinating. I was aware of my heart not beating and sparkly lights converging to the middle of my vision, but thats as far as I got before my heart kicked on again. I believe 100% that we "survive life", I just hope that it doesn't hurt too much before I finally escape this body for the last time.

13. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

I don't want to die. I have too much to live for. I don't fear it beyond base survival instinct (as in I try to avoid it and have thus far been successful) because of my experiences with the dead and the dying, but for now I am having a great time at this party and don't want the dance to end.

However, once I get there, I will have no shortage of friends, and my recent ghostly experiences indicate to me that the dance never has to truly end.

14. usetawuz

+1...its fun, even if sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

15. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

I think it's perfectly natural for everyone to feel fear at the thought of death, even if it's considerably less with a belief in reincarnation. For most, the 'unknown' is a big factor...

For me personally, as others have said, my main fears with death would leaving behind loved ones. The moment just before death can be terrifying, but the moment just after death all fear and pain is gone. It's that moment before that people fear, not necessarily death itself...

16. Midnight.Sapphires

Midnight.Sapphires Senior Registered

I thought long and hard about how to answer this question. I knew what I wanted to say, just didn't know how to put it in words.

I've faced death twice in my life. When I was 4, the family was spending the weekend camping at the beach. Everyone was in the water - a relative was holding me in his arms. A huge wave suddenly swept over everyone and I was knocked out of his arms, nearly drowned but someone was able to grab onto me and pull me up out of the water. Another time in 2003, I fell unconscious in the bathroom. It happened very quickly (the doctors could find no cause/reason for why I suddenly lost consciousness and collapsed onto the floor).

I remember that it was at the very moment when things suddenly went wrong that the initial panic and fear hit me, and then a sense of calm until someone came to my rescue/aid.

Lady2 explained everything perfectly when she replied:

So, am I afraid? I think I'm more afraid of how it will happen - that initial moment when I know my life will cease. After that, I know I'll be in a truly wonderful place.

17. redzzed

redzzed New Member

fear of death

..hardly at all , less than 15% and the older i get even that should reduce .

I do have some fear of a painful or drawn-out death .

It's all karma i suppose but we never can tell how much remains .

I'm sure the door out of life is also the door in to the next life .

What can be a hassle is the first few years having previously been wise and experienced and then having to learn to use a new body/country/family/language .)*(

18. smith07

smith07 truth seeker

That is pretty much the way I feel. I have flirted with death a few times. Had a temperature of 107* when I was 5 days old, At 15 almost drowned, was going down for the 3rd time, no air left, I remember pushing off of my buddys head who had come back to help me then the 5th time and was gone when I felt the life guards hand jerking me under my chin and pulling me up to catch a breath of air and him towing me to shore at a swimming beach. He later told me he was sorry, he thought I was just messing around. Was in a severe auto accident when I was 20, two of my friends were killed. I was thrown out of the car as it flipped and slid 130 odd feet in the middle of the road. I had layed there for a while until a passer by spotted me and told the paramedics, they thought I was dead. On the way to the hospital I was shocked back to life with the paddles twice and finally given last rites. My head was cut ear to ear and my left eye was out. Lost a bunch of blood but didn't even need a transfusion. Was in the Emergency ward for one week going in and out of conciousness (or so I was told). The doctor later said it was truly a miracle I survived and marvelled at the fact I didn't even need a blood transfusion. The next thing I remembered was seeing the overhead lights in the hallway as I was being wheeled up to a regular room. Before the accident I remember looking at the clock on the wall 12:27 pm. My memory from one whole week was lost forever. Had been in a wreck the year before, to the day Dec 20, 1968 and 1969, even wearing the same coat. Thrown through the windshield and landed a field. In this one if I had had my seat belt buckled I would have been killed, as the roof was smashed down to the seat of a '66 Mustang.

I really don't fear death at all except losing my loved ones and my cat, but that may be a thread coming in the future;).

19. usetawuz

Would you fear death with the knowledge that on the other side, death would have the same emotional charge as the passing of a sunset, with the new dawn being a new lifetime?

Would you still fear death if you knew your loved ones were with you forever...you would always be with them no matter where you were, and only while incarnate would you have the illusion of being alone, with the possibility of growing to realize how close they actually are?

20. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

Now I know I'm supposed to say 'no' to this, but honestly, if you knew my loved ones you'd prefer being gnawed by demons with sharp teeth for all eternity. I loved them, but there is relief that I don't have to deal with their constant neediness and drama. Would I do anything to see them again? Yes. Would I want to be stuck in close proximity with them forever? Does 'aaaarrrrgggh!' answer your question? By the by, I suspect they may feel the same way about me. :laugh:

I used to smoke heavily and take too many pain-killers. Then I stopped both, many years ago, with no problem. Then some 'loved ones' who were in my life then have recently reentered. I now have an over-whelming urge to smoke, and I've started taking more pain-killers. I now realize that I'd quit when they were out of my life. Coincidence? I think not.