• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Are you afraid of death..?

Wonderful thread. Thanks to all that posted.

I can relate to the common theme here. Not afraid of death. But afraid of the pain/way of dying. Also the unknown part is a concern. What if something goes wrong and I don't end up where I am suppose to!cover face

That is where the trust comes in!

Thanks Val for sharing your story. All the best to you.

One aspect of this question, that we don't often think of, has to do with the fear people exhibit when dealing with someone else who is facing death. I have known people who—although they were coping quite well with their own impending transition—found their friends, family and acquaintances unable to deal with it, and turning away from them during their time of greatest need. It is one thing to face one's own passing; but quite another to observe how we fail to cope with the passing of someone else.

Nightrain: "One aspect of this question, that we don't often think of, has to do with the fear people exhibit when dealing with someone else who is facing death."

For the last half of 2011 I took care of my mother who had been diagnosed with lung cancer. She never smoked, but she had been around second hand smoke most of her life. It was painful watching her deteriorate before my eyes and I was powerless to do anything. I had a strong conviction that her mother and my dad (both deceased) were close by, and would be there for her when the time came.

She was a Christian Scientist, but not much involved with it. And she was open-minded about reincarnation. But sadly toward the end I sensed a strong fear of death in her. She watched an inspiring show about death and the afterlife with Robin Williams, but she said it was morbid. I wanted to talk to her about death and the afterlife, just to comfort and reassure her, but I sensed she didn't want to talk about it. So I honored her wish. She died in January of 2012. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in August of 2012.

BriarRose said:
Val, I thought about your post all weekend. I'm sure other members did also. It deserves so much more than a flippant reply. It is comforting to know that your basic feeling about death didn't alter after "facing it down." I have found that as I age, my belief in reincarnation grows stronger, and that allays my fear of death, just as it seems to for you. I find it perplexing that so few people are willing to consider the prospect of death squarely, and firmly. One of my great regrets is that as my father lay dying, and wanted to talk about it, I didn't have the courage. In my defense, I was only thirty at the time, and not ready to face that kind of reality. The feeling I got from what you said, is that you're looking forward to living your life joyously. I hope to be here to read your posts for years to come!
BriarRose, Thank you for your kind thoughts. My father died unexpectedly (I think by his own choice, as he didn't let the family know how sick he truly was) when I was 32 years old. I always felt a bit cheated that I didn't get to say goodbye to him. I would have been happy to talk to him about dying, but that is because he taught me the belief in reincarnation when I was about 12 years old. He also taught me to think for myself, and never pressured me to believe as he did.

I remember him mentioning at times that he looked forward to the adventures he would have in the next plane of existence. I think it is largely because of him that I do not fear death now. I am not in a hurry for death; I still have things to do in this life, but I am at peace with death.

I lost a friend to stomach cancer last April. I think she knew in her heart, and suppressed the knowledge from herself, and everyone around her. She died five days after the diagnosis. My father had lung cancer, and it was three weeks between diagnosis and death. I think people may wait "too late" subconsciously, because they are ready to go. My father went with style, grace, and courage. When my time comes, I hope to equal him. I feel as you do, that there are adventures ahead, and when it's really time to experience them, we'll know. Until then, we keep learning, and finding joy in life.

I don't think we should be in any hurry to die, even if we are not afraid of it. There are things we can only do in a physical body. People who commit suicide are reported to be regretful of their choice. They now have to wait until they have a body again to learn what they were supposed to before. They have to "make up the test." Religious believers who think they are going to be "Happy forever" in Heaven are probably greatly disappointed to learn they have to come back and do it all again.

argonne1918 said:
I don't think we should be in any hurry to die, even if we are not afraid of it.
To me, lack of fear about dying makes life so much more enjoyable...why leave any sooner than you'd planned? Sure its great "over there", but you can't do alot of the things we take for granted over here. Why do you think we keep coming back?

I am scared to die and what life I may be born to next..

But with this knowledge of how I feel and the whys of it with having done a fair amount of regression work , maybe I can still change it before I die.

I surely do wish for an easier time working up to death than I have had with my chronic health problems so far .

Having had memories of being a ghost in the life before this one .. and the difficult time I had in deciding to return. I was feeling I did not want to return to be born into another, so until I let that past go ... Plus this life has been very difficult .. difficult family , difficult health ... I am still looking for " that " happiness I suppose ...

I think that the thought of dying is the easiest area to see the divisions in "myself". My ego is afraid since it will not exist anymore and all of the things that are important to it will never be secured. My mind can spend quite a bit of time trying to consider all of the things that could best be done for my loved ones. And, my (whatever you want to call it) is looking to see what lessons are still to be learned before going home and being rid of this old body (and is not afraid).

I'm not afraid of Death per se, but how I die (peacefully pierce the "Veil" as I sleep or wracked with pain lying in an ICU bed).

IMHO Death is a transition to Life on the "Other Side" (or whatever word you choose to call it) as I believe it is a dimension or plane that we normally cannot see due to the Other Side vibrating at a much higher rate.

I also see the Other Side as a place to rest (and recover, if need be) between lives and I look forward to the day when I'll no longer have the need to "Go out and Play" in another life.

I'm not really afraid of death. More like worried. It's something natural and something that will eventually happen.

Are you afraid of death..?

Hi, yes, I'm afraid of death when its too soon or kind of sudden one because I just thought that I'm not ready yet to die.. not now

What I find scary is when quality of life erodes and that usually happens before we die. This is to do with materia and that we are in 3D.

Also since there is free will and all that many things can happen that are bad.

I am however certain that we "survive death". What I would like to know is what is it like on the other side since I am convinced its a better world there.

And how come we cant remember it from here.

I would also like to know whether I still have to come back as I am an old soul and I think I dont want to come back here.

Sometimes it would actually be much easier to imagine its all over when we die, rather than having to come back so many times.

By "all over" I dont mean heaven or hell. I mean just nothing. At all.

Kristopher said:
Even though you have a belief in life after? I'm possibly 90% convinced that we survive after death, so that 10% still makes dieing a scary thought to me.
I suppose it's only natural to fear such an event. It's not just death itself that's rather frightening to me, it's that there's so many horrible ways the "angel of death" can take us.:laugh:

I read a book about reincarnation that was also a fiction (the red lion), and that book says the way we die is determined.

Some people are not allowed to commit suicide, that door is closed for them. Some die quickly and painlessly or after short suffering. (in bed, for example)

Some die being tortured etc. or after a long illness. This is all determined somehow based on how good we are morally etc.

Whether this is true, I dont know.

The problems begins when our Soul is deprived of a body to transport the Soul in order to try and finish it's business while here on Earth.

Any one of us is only a heartbeat away from death and within 6 minutes we are finished with our current body whether we were ready to leave or not until such time as we are able to return with a new body and a new lifetime.

I continue to appreciate life having seen death so close up and having had brushes myself with death, but when my time is up, I am ready to "pierce" the veil, the fabric that divides this world from the "Other Side".

I'm not afraid of death per se. I'm afraid to leave my children to fend for themselves in this difficult world and not being there for them.

I'm very fearful of things like being hurt in a car accident, etc. I am not scared to die a natural death.

I used to fear death, when I had more hope for myself in this life. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Death is just a gateway to another level of being. I have nothing tying me very strongly to this life. I know how I'll die, too. I just hope it happens in my sleep.

are you afraid of death

Anthony,if you say you know how you ll die, why do you "hope" it will be in your sleep?

You are correct CP, to watch my once-good-body become a swollen mass of muscleless tissue that becomes less and less useful is not good. With a pacemaker set at 40 respirations per minute causing me to be unable to relax enough to meditate, it is easier to accept it now.

Hi Ken,

Pacemakers should have an adjustment dial (probably on an external hand-held transmitter) allowing you to turn them up or down within a certain range. Of course, that is the thought of an untutored layman, but it seems logical to me. Respiration levels naturally vary depending on the level of activity (and consciousness). So, why not let us choose based on what we are going to be doing?

Cordially,
S&S

PS--My mother-in-law just passed. We have been very busy over the last couple of months dealing with health and care issues both at the younger and older end of the scale. The latter is enough to reinforce my conviction that there comes a time when life is no longer worth living. However, it did not become so because she had been a complete invalid and bed-ridden for many years, but because her dementia became so advanced that it did what the former could not do. It separated her from life and the living (including her family). It isolated her in a way that loss of bodily mobility never could. She was fairly comfortable in her state, and would have periods of limited lucidity (just enough for us to know that she was still in there), but towards the end all of that faded away. I feel like I could stand a great deal in terms of the body as long as there wasn't disabling and constant pain, my mind remained intact, and I still had access to some people and things that I love. But . . . .

Yes it can, and has been, adjusted from 50 down to 40 respirations per minute before shocking me. Any lower would hasten my lungs drowning I think. Both of my parents and my sister went the way of your mother-in-law so I chose to select supplements that help me avoid MOST of it.

Because I find being here after the Holocaust so difficult, sometimes when it gets too much for me I say to my Guides “Can I come home now?”

Then the thought dawned on me where I said to them.. “What if I get to that time where it is truly time to go home, and I didn’t want to? Like I know who is waiting for me in Spirit, but what happens if I spend all this time saying I want to come home, but when I do ‘need’ to go home, I don’t want to?”

I feel once you have recalled memories of a past life death, death should no longer frighten you because you know what happens afterwards...

Eva x

I am actually terrified of dying, afraid I will end up a ghost again, not know where I am, not know how to get out of there, most afraid if I die when I am still needed as a mother, as I felt a huge failure when dying like that once. It does help though knowing I must have gotten out of there to a better place, somehow, and that all children grow up, have other support system if a mother dies from it/them, but still the thought frighten me.

/jaimie

I feel once you have recalled memories of a past life death, death should no longer frighten you because you know what happens afterwards...

Eva x

My sentiments exactly. After watching and feeling myself die in a truly horrific way, death really doesn't phase me at this point. I'd rather it be a peaceful death tho

The only fear I have is leaving my family and loved ones behind. I carried with me from one past life this difficult feeling. I died when I was a young mother and my children and husband needed me.

Best Wishes
Li La

I'm only afraid to leave something not done or done badly, with respect to my dearest ones in this life.

An acquantance of mine (a woman of my age) has recently had a lot of problems with becoming the legal owner of the properties left to her by her mother, she even had to hire a lawyer.

I want in my next life to be sorry for nothing left in this life.

Lots of luck on that Cyrus, I've done badly by trying too hard to make things right. I feel that I've lost my best friend over it.

Back