Astral Projection: the basics.

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Eowyn, Jul 4, 2014.

1. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Two nights ago it happened to me too. After several not pleasant half succeded experiences, I finally managed to make my first real astral travel in full consciousness. It was different from what I had expected and I had so much fun. I was euphoric, not only during my adventure but also after going back to my body and also the day after.
    That night I went to bed, saying to myself: I want to leave my body and be conscious all the time. That was it. I left all the techniques and expectations I am used to trying to leave my body. I entered a dream state in which I was at my parent's house and in which I also went to bed, trying to sleep. Then I felt that special feeling that I was leaving my body (I know that well, but usually I lose memory immediately afterward). In my case, it feels like making a huge salto through space, in slow motion.
    This time I kept my consciousness and I was excited.
    I've been in a lot of unknown places. I experimented a lot. Mostly all was grey and dark. Empty streets, empty office buildings. I tried to reach a certain place, that I've memorized to go to just in case one day (night) I would suddenly find myself out of my body, but I didn't reach the place. I guess I was in a street very close, I recognized the neighborhood, but then I decided to test if I could go back to my body, which happened instantly. It wasn't a return, it was instantly back in my body. I moved my lips and knew I was back.
    It was different from what I had expected. I was in control of my mind and I was very aware and very curious about every little aspect. I tried to memorize as much as possible, but I know I've forgotten parts of the adventure because I've been in a lot of buildings and I don't remember them. One moment I was in a supermarket, the only part in which there were other people around and there were colors. I immediately knew I had entered a memory, I knew I had been there as a child. I tried to touch a lady, but she didn't notice me, I was invisible to the people there. At the end of the shop, I pushed myself through a wall and I entered the grey world again, another deserted office. There were words written on the wall, that I could read, but not understand. Unknown language.
    I told my son and he commented if it could have been lucid dreaming. I think astral traveling is connected to lucid dreaming (I'll have to study this) but it was different from a dream. First of all: there was no story. Nothing happened, just me roaming around, doing tests and experimenting. Highly aware.
    I've had lucid dreams in my life, but they are real dreams with stories and I've never been able to stay long time in a lucid dream.
    In this astral travel, I was in control as long as I wanted. Nothing happened to me. I moved through empty streets (night!!) and empty buildings (night!!).
    I also told my cousin who used to astral travel during childhood and she had that same happy smile on her face as myself. She had had the same fun when she was younger.
    I hope my adventures will continue.

2. cloud potato

cloud potato Senior Registered

i hope they continue too! thank you =)

fireflydancing likes this.
  3. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

That was a great experience, fireflydancing, I love it when people tell they were successful.

I don't remember if I explained earlier in the thread, but yes, of course they're connected. Only, it's not easy to explain when people haven't seen it for themselves. The difference between astral travel and lucid dreaming is only the degree of lucidity in each experience. Or, in other words, how much your mind is interfering. Our minds create dreams. A dream starts being lucid when you're aware you're dreaming. From there, you can have more or less control of the dream itself. If you reach enough lucidity, your mind just stays aside and it's only then that you can fully move and experience the astral plane, it's when you can say you are seeing "the real astral plane". Of course, this is quite hard to do. If you manage to have really long OBEs, you might begin to notice that lucidity can vary within the same experience, so you'll witness how a lucid dream can become an astral travel, or how, from an astral travel, you can go back to a lucid dream or a normal dream. And this is why you can also use lucid dreams to "enter" the astral realm. If you have enough control, you only have to say "I don't want to be lucid dreaming, I want to get out of this dream and explore the astral". And then you'll see how the dream just fades and suddenly you're somewhere else. This can be more confusing, but it is said to be an easier technique than trying to separate from your physical body being wholly conscious.

Some people still believe astral travel and lucid dreaming are the same thing, but through my experience I found out this is not the case. As one of my mentors said, and you've described it very well with your own words, "A lucid dream is still a dream".

cloud potato likes this.
  4. cloud potato

3-4. 4 attempts. each one becoming more elaborate and slowly turning into dream state before waking up. 4:44AM final time to wake up.
    happened after falling back to sleep around 3:00AM and sipping water. layed on back and projected. first time out, i pulled myself out of bed and looked around. let my mind wonder so everything reset. 2nd time out i looked at my arms, realizing i was back in the bed- aware of my body and the feelings and pulled myself back out. this time i came out of body very easily and was almost floating- i couldn't get steady right away and tilted too far into one corner of the room. after regaining balance i started to dance(waltz) around the bedroom. from here something happened and everything reset, i'm back in bed. third time out i again look at my hands and arms in front of me- i think i am beginning to see more of a solid form in the astral. i get out and know i can walk through my bedroom door so i do. nice. i'm at my parents house. walking around i feel an uncomfortable presence in my parents room like i should not enter my dads bedroom, it was an unwanted energy that could have turned my experience into a fearful one. i avoid going that direction. the dogs who are are curious to the commotion outside dads room(thats where they're sleeping) come running out only, they're in the astral too. one of the dogs recognizes me and the other is a little scared at first and pulls back. the energy is playful as we rush down the stairs and head towards the backyard. our astral forms if i remember were like light shells of our physical bodies. not quite the same, like an energetic outline of our physical selves hard to explain. anyways... we go up to the door leading to the backyard and the dogs look at me thinking they need me to open the door... instead i push myself through and they follow suit very quickly(like it was no problem) and run out to grass. i'm laying in the yard under the tree watching the dogs. they come up to me and everything resets, i'm back in bed. now, the 4th time is more of a dream. the tv which is off in reality is on but i'm not watching. instead it's a theme song to some show i'm listening in the background. i feel younger too, weird. i get up and pull myself out of body and find someone here, my cousin? are we living together? and am i in a different room? i'm very hungry and i think i'm still in the astral. i must be dreaming at this point but i will ritz cheddar cheese crackers into existence. as i question how i did that i then receive a lecture from who may be my cousin that i left some orange juice outside from the party i held the night before and need to clean it up. as i eat the crackers i begin to realize i'm dreaming and that something is off so i wake up. i tried recording as soon as i've returned. it's now 5:04AM excuse the informal entry :) coming back felt weird and is taking a while to adjust and wake up completely, getting there :D(or should i say here?)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Eowyn, KenJ and fireflydancing like this.
  5. fireflydancing

Hi Cloud Potato,

How did you do it???
    You left your body by will. Several times on a row. I think that’s special.

So, how did you manage to leave your body?

6. cloud potato

hi firefly,

thanks. i think your experiences are special too. your last one is very interesting and i'm not sure i've experienced one like it. i must be tired because i think you've answered your own question. you left your body by will too, no?

... like you the opportunity isn't always there and i've tried to recreate what i thought to be the proper conditions for an out of body with little success. how wonderful is it to see others validate our experience- like a ringing in the ear, the chatty voices, the metal noises, the creeping feelings slowly working up the body all indications... the slow motion of pushing out just as you've described above.
    there are different effects, different experiences yet there seems to be a lot of common ground too... i am really blown away by those shared here... you've really given me some thought on will power too, that's real magic.

i've noticed in my later years the opportunity seems to happen when i wake up early in the morning, have a small stretch or a sip of water then go back to sleep laying on my back. from there i relax and watch my body enter rest... if i can maintain a degree of self awareness, like noting the body beginning to shut down i take it as an opportunity and direct my energy on pushing out. there is a certain crossover point that i'm not sure i can pin down. anyways... i simply push myself out. the best way for me has been to start with the arms but i suppose everyone is different... if you find yourself in this state and know your body is asleep try seeing yourself lifting your arms out of your arms(if that makes any sense) if you can do that then surely you can pull yourself up and out too, right? :)
    sometimes i hear myself saying to sit up lol

i hope this helps... i didn't know how to answer your question....

peace <3

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Eowyn and fireflydancing like this.
  7. -HM-

-HM- Senior Registered

I’m pretty sure I’ve done it a few times. I had heard of it before and wondered if that’s what I’ve experienced, but what really convinced me is that a friend of mine, the one with some psychic abilities who’s confirmed some of my PL’s, has been to some of the same “places” as I have, and also, as crazy as this sounds, we were in the same place together. I saw him there and he saw me, and we both remembered when talking about it the next day. It wasn’t just a regular dream with him in it. He was THERE.

I should add, I have no control whatsoever as to whether I project or don’t. It just happens spontaneously.

cloud potato and fireflydancing like this.
  8. fireflydancing

Hi Cloud Potato,

Nope, it just happened to me and while in the process, I recognized the feeling of leaving the body and only then my will took over. I was in a dream first. In that dream, I was laying on a couch in my parental house (which doesn't exist any longer in reality) and I tried to sleep in that dream and suddenly I felt that special feeling I already knew but never was able to go through without losing memory.
    The first experience (years before) was like being catapulted into darkness but NO control at all.
    I know that in a lot of 'dreams' I must be in an astral plane somehow but only to realize it afterward.
    But I've never managed to leave in full consciousness. I have tried since childhood and so many times I was so close but then a highly strong 'whush' happens that knocks out my consciousness.

9. cloud potato

-HM- that's amazing. i've read of similar experiences but haven't been able to go far whenever i do project. only in rare instances i think. thank you for sharing that...

fireflydancing,

i presume this is accredited to your will, whether it's in the manner you're expecting or not. without such, this experience may have never happened. the body sleeps, the mind dreams and you've been able to wake up in a dream. that's amazing- you've insight to a subtler realm.
    i have only projected out of body as a child once while laying in the back of my parents car and looking at the clouds... i suspect in meditation there are ways to achieve this.
    i can attest there is a honing in before a pushing out occurs, which i think is related to this crossing over 'whush' you're describing. it's the body entering into a rest mode... perhaps you trick the body by slowing it down willfully in meditation... anyways, as mentioned in previous post i too am simply recognizing the opportunity. the right conditions have to be made first.

well i've made my attempts from the very limited scope i can draw from. i hope these insights help...

learning more about the astral and having the experience, just like dreams have brought me much joy. i wonder though, if we can transcend ourselves from the astral towards a different plane...

well thanks for the exchange. peace.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Eowyn and fireflydancing like this.
  10. cloud potato

this is new for me...
    two nights ago i was in a hotel room and i was able to astral project around 4:30AM. I remember getting up and out from the corner of the bed to the window. I saw the field outside and I pushed myself through the window and down to the field. Now... I'm not sure if this turned into a lucid dream or... But I felt like I was watching a scene from the past. Someone was shot in the field. I don't think I saw the shooter or even the person being shot. But I sat down next to him.. Whoever he was- he wasn't there. Or was he...? A person died here is what I thought. It was an impression or a very vivid idea played out like a movie. Hard to explain. After sitting down by the scene and taking it in I woke up. Not sure what to make of this one.

11. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

Wow, Cloud Potato, your latest experiences are amazing! I've loved reading them.

I think I once saw a scene from the past too in one of my astral projections. It was my current home, the flat in which my partner lived with his parents for years. I passed near the door of the bathroom. I saw a man having a shower in a bathtub I've never known. When I told my partner he told me that was how the old bathroom was arranged, and of course I wonder if that man was his father, whom I never met either, as he died years before my partner and I started our relationship.

I'm pretty sure we can somehow access "layers" in the astral that belong to the past. Many astral travellers would say we can travel in time, but I don't think we really do that. It seems these are just scenes that remain there for some reason, like those scenes psychics can see in haunted places.

12. cloud potato

Thank you Eowyn, your replies mean a lot.
    I think you're right. I have a friend who can access layers of time in her meditations. It's usually by chance but she is able to witness a scene as if it were happening yet she knows it's from the past. Well, they kind of blend together like augmented reality without the need for the technology.
    Maybe it was your partners father- i wonder how these connections are made, if there is a level of love required to access these moments(connection with your partner) or if they are just provided as a gift(or something else entirely). Your experience with astral travel has to mean something. Maybe the other souls impression is loud enough, desires strong enough, for a receptive to pick up on?
    Peace <3

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. cloud potato

Something other than an out of body experience?

i fell asleep at 7:00PM last night. I woke up at 9:00PM to use the restroom. upon falling back asleep something happened...
    i was beginning to detach from my body. there were no more thoughts and from a different point of view, in a gray room, all that was visible was a very large and very bright, shining white light. there was no noise coming from this radiating orb. the only noise i heard was the breathing of my body. this giant mass was moving very slowly down towards my body. my breathing was increasing, becoming louder. then the orb sank into my chest and upon contact my breath had immediately synchronized with this light. once it touched my body i was flooded with a sensation and chills ran along up and down my spine as my breath carried everything through out my entire body. the feeling here, words can not/should not satisfy... but it was a bliss beyond what i've experienced in a long time. today i intuited the word union. this all happened so quickly(at least, that's what i thought) and once the orb sank into my being i tried to astral project. well as soon as i pulled my ethereal form out of my body i was slammed down back into it by a very heavy weight. i'm not sure but i think, once i began to witness my ethereal form and think more of an, "astral body" noticing a second presence against the orb may have caused some form of doubt which brought a halt to my experience. it could have been because i was beginning to think again as well... who is to say... i woke up so energized though i was ready to stretch and meditate- not tired at all. all of this happened in what felt like a couple minutes or less... well i looked at the clock and it was 10:33PM.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018