Can there be "punishments" in the next life sometimes?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Velociraptor, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Velociraptor

Velociraptor New Member

Just asking. Sometimes not all the time.

Like for example a person made fun of some people with this type of disability and in that person's next life there's a possibility with having some sort of disability.

2. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello Velociraptor. First let me welcome you, as I think I have missed this opportunity before.

What you are asking about is commonly called KARMA. And yes, in many traditions it is believed that the actions of now have consequences later.

Chakrapani Ulla, in an article entitled Karma, Free Will, and Destiny wrote:

A few belief systems like Buddhism have a lot to say about karma. Karma is simply the law of cause and effect in the ethical realm. There are many good sources here and on the internet to read about it. Type karma into our search engine above, you'll be surprised how many times it is mentioned.

Again, welcome, and thank you for your question.

Tman

3. nachtreiter

nachtreiter New Member

I don't think there is. To me, the idea of punishment or non-punishment for people's actions is a western judeo-christian idea. Which has become ingrained into the idea of reincarnation as well...so, no, I don't think there is, or at least I have never experienced it and would be one who would.

4. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

In my opinion this is basically what CAN happen. Can, because we are not forced to incarnate into a type of life against our wishes, but at the same time we may need to experience being on 'the other end of the stick', so we'll likely think about living such a life.

It's important to remember just because people may be less fortunate than others in terms of wealth, health and so on, doesn't mean they've done anything wrong in previous lives as we all have to try different types of lives that may simply be a choice we've made on our own.

It's hard to tell if karma is some kind of 'punishment' or if it's only for our soul development. I suppose it doesn't really matter what way we think of it, it's still a process of reincarnation that takes place and most likely one that we've all experienced or will eventually.

5. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I don't see it as punishment. To me it's a learning experience. Everything has to be experienced from both sides. Each lifetime is like a grade in school. Start out in pre-school and work your way up to graduate or masters?