• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Can wisdom be carried with us?

wavesJ

Senior Registered
If one of the main aim for life is to " learn lessons", we will gain certain wisdom from the lessons. Therefore we gain more understanding of human and the world and will behave in a much better way at a similiar situation.:)

For example, once a person eventually learned how to communicate effectively with others in a nice manner from a series of things that happened to him. Do he know how to communicate effectively with others ever after?

Can wisdom be carried with the soul from life to life?

Any thought?

Any experiences?

I sure like to think so wavesj.

It does seem like when I follow my conscience and my gut it can sometimes be hard and I don't see the point in it, but things work out. When I go against my conscience and my gut, it is never worth it in retrospect - it turns out my conscience and gut were correct only I didn't see how it could be, how some part of me could feel that strongly but no explanation. So I think perhaps that the wisdom I've brought with me resides in the strong feeling (recognition?) of my conscience and gut instinct and it recognizes when I am about to make the same mistake I made before, but only I cannot remember the mistake.

So memory would probably really help me actually listen to my conscience! :laugh:

IMO, all people that claim they have a "gift" (or society claims they have a "gift") are people who have carried over their knowledge from a previous incarnation. There are examples of musicians who begin to play music when they are 3 to 5 years old - for example Beethoven. They are cases when a child in primary grades will know advance math and physics. People that can play instruments 'by ear' have been trained in a previous life in music. People who can draw pictures or paint masterpieces were artist in a previous life.
Also people who can communicate effectively; people who show passion; demonstrate kindness; express love; leadership, etc are people who have carried over their learning from another incarnation. IMO
Majic

Hmm until I read Majic's response it did not occur to me that wavesJ's question is about all kinds of learning. When I read it, I automatically assumed the question was specifically discernment and making good choices. "Wisdom" as in the opposite of foolishness, is how I read it. Anyway, just wanted to clarify my response. :laugh:

Yes I think we do carry over all our learnings from previous lives to future lives and they are stored in our subconscious. I think alot of the time we need to be in a situation to remember them.

How many time can a person be in a situation that they need to resolve and alot of the time the answer to resolving it comes from a instinct or out of nowhere. They don't know why they have choosen to do things that way but it works. I beleive natural instincts and abilitys need to come from somewhere even if we are unaware that we have been through the same or similar situation before this life.

wavesJ,

I certainly hope so! If not, then the whole purpose of repeated reincarnations disappears. I must be making progress as we go from life to life. Yes, we are on a pilgrimage through life, and, yes, we are making progress.

HI Wavesj,

I am curious if others see a difference between wisdom and knowledge?

For me, wisdom can only be found through compassion. It is not something you take with you - so much as something you become............I know that sounds odd; compassion is not something we do - it is something we become. Dr. Moss talks about this in his book. The Second Miracle.

Knowledge to me reflects history, learned experiences and relates to educating ones self about reality and the world. Wisdom on the other hand - has to do with Matters of the Heart. ;)

Something I wrote a few years ago and says - Wisdom comes in moments of silence and understanding in the depths of compassion. It is something I try to live by - day by day. : angel It's definately a journey and a daily walk IMO.

Definition of wisdom?

Thanks for all replies! Definition of wisdom? That’s an interesting discussion by itself. Every language has a word refer to wisdom. It implies human being glimpse the concept from very early day. :)

Here is my understanding only:

You know many times good intention can do bad things. ;)

"Wisdom" is in the opposite of foolishness, as Szofie said here, the ability to see things and human relationship from depth, ability to know the essential, and clever enough to act in a right way. We gain wisdom from experience, lessons, mistakes, and logic thinking…

Buddha once said the process to gain wisdom including get rid of the unhealthy-attachment of money, power, hatred, other emotions. Those are the obstacles of knowing ourselves and the outside world. Wisdom is the way to get rid of suffering for Suffering may reveal that we don’t understanding thing in a right way, or not act according universal law.

Yes, Deborah, wisdom must including compassion but might not limit that. I think compassion is a nature of every living being. But some people limit their compassion to certain group because they don’t understand all human races are same. That limitation might be the cause of conflict among nations

The other term is clever or intelligent, an intelligent person can gain huge amount of knowledge easily to become outstanding scientist. That doesn’t makes him wise (for example Nazi scientist)

Looking forward to hear your opinions!:)

Wisdom is that inborn something that we develop over many lifetimes. IMO our purpose in life is not to knit that perfect sweater, or to make that perfect car, etc. Our purpose is to replace fear with love; attachment with non-attachment; pride with humility; greed with sharing, etc.
As we do that we gain wisdom, and this wisdom becomes a part of our personality in succeeding lives. Making a perfect computer is knowledge - the ability to forgive is wisdom.
Majic

There have been some excellent comments made in this thread. Too bad I don't have the wisdom to leave well enough alone. I wonder if wisdom isn't the ability to use your knowledge with empathy and common sense. That should result in understanding yourself enough to embrace both compassion and a love of life and people so that you think before you speak. Maybe considering others feelings is the real wisdom we all seek. I agree this is something we have to develope each lifetime.

John

tiltjlp said:
There have been some excellent comments made in this thread. Too bad I don't have the wisdom to leave well enough alone. I wonder if wisdom isn't the ability to use your knowledge with empathy and common sense. That should result in understanding yourself enough to embrace both compassion and a love of life and people so that you think before you speak. Maybe considering others feelings is the real wisdom we all seek. I agree this is something we have to develope each lifetime.

I see "wisdom" as being a label like "leet". In the IT industry, to be "leet" is to be extremely employable at the highest levels, because you've proven to have the skillset, the understanding and the ability to troubleshoot and learn. It's not something that can be taught-there is no Microsoft certificate for Leetness.

Leet is an accolade others give you. It is not something you can claim for yourself, unless you are a total wannabe or a script kiddie (they all call themselves leet) or you want to be laughed at.

My ex is leet. We needed something that had to be configured on the phone switch at Verizon, and their engineers said it wasn't possible, the phone switch couldn't do that. He got a group of them on a conference call, and explained to them step-by-step, how to set it up. They had no idea that what we wanted was part of the basic functionality of their own equipment. That's leet, and it was very funny. I kept going out in the hall to laugh.

Ditto with wisdom. Lots of people claim to have wisdom, but only a fool would go around claiming to be wise. The truly wise admit how little they know (can't remember which wise man said that).

Wisdom is an accolade others give you, if you show them that you are wise. Just like stupid. Not too many people go around saying, "Hi, I'm stupid". But if you show people that you are stupid, you will receive that accolade, as well.

Phoenix

Wisdom

Defintely wisdom is carried over from each lifetime. It's there if we let it guide us (gut instincts etc.) I think the more we trust it the more it readily becomes available to us to guide us, the more we ignore it, the wisdom from the past live expereinces becomes dormant and harder to awake. Thus making our purpose for this life harder to achieve.

Each life is a lesson, and it is that wisdom that helps us and guides us through each life taking us to the next level that we strive for.

The question that was asked regarding the difference between wisdom and knowledge is to me that wisdom comes from learning from experience and knowledge is just knowing about something by learning about it through another source such as reading etc.

We all can have knowledge but we only gain wisdom through our lifes experiences. That's what the difference is to me anyway.

Peace,

Leisa

In my opinion – wisdom and knowledge are two entirely different things. I see knowledge -- as being what we bring with us from life to life -- not wisdom.

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." Confucius

Knowledge alone does not result in clear vision or a proper perspective. In my opinion – knowledge gives us the ability to make correct choices. Wisdom is the proper use of that knowledge. To be more precise, “Wisdom is knowledge that has been applied in a way that takes into account all its pertinent relationships and that is consistent with universal laws.”

Wisdom is a life long experience. We first learn wisdom in life by experience, and then as we grow, we recognize wisdom in life by example. Through the combination of knowledge and wisdom, we eliminate fear, which results in understanding. We begin to understand who we are and why we are here. Through wisdom we develop a keen awareness, compassion and love for all life.

We are not born with wisdom – we still need to be taught, to learn and to grow – to be able to know how to apply the knowledge we have inherent within us. Wisdom is found in all of life by learning from every situation. Some of the wisest people I have met – are not necessarily the most highly educated – they are the ones who have lived, loved and experienced life, and have an amazing compassion and understanding from within.

Imo, knowledge can easily deceive some people into thinking they are wise. Is someone wise because they have knowledge? No. I know plenty of highly intelligent people – who have incredible book smarts, but their lives are a complete mess because they have not learned how to apply their knowledge.

Ancient Egyptian religion tended to focus on knowledge. The approach was one of what one knew and what it meant to you. However, knowledge is worthless, unless it is transformed within one's heart. Only then does it flourish and become wisdom.

Knowledge is only a doorway to wisdom. “ Knowledge tells you that your capacity to love is your proof that the soul exists and your soul is proof of the divine exists. However, love is not an intellectual experience; this alone should tell you which vehicle the divine uses to reveal wisdom.”

Just my two cents....

Aili :)

Wisdom

I think what carries over is the spirit, and wisdom grows from that according to the potential for intelligence in the new incarnation. I like the idea of working with a clean slate to create a life with. And I feel wisdom grows from one's immediate life experience, rather than many.

Knowledge is knowing how to balance your checkbook. Wisdom is doing it so you don't bounce a check. :) That's how the difference was explained to me once, although that's not exactly PL-pertaining.

Carried the trauma--taught the coping mechanisms

Frankly, I'm not sure how much constructive material I experienced in the past life to carry over, but lets ponder this...

I think the most useful character trait I developed then was what the Jews call chutzpah. I tend to really stick my neck out and stick my nose into things, if its a matter of conscience.

I don't think I speak up enough for myself if I am in the position of being an outsider or otherwise perceive myself to be in a disadvantaged position.

I think my faith is a gift that I got from the in-between as well as from my parents and grandparents. (and some other ancestors thru dreams.)

I also have a strong sense of justice, and though I have a lot of anger I have found that helps me empathize with others' anger, particularly on socio-political issues. I may disagree on issues, but I can totally respect rage at oppression. I get annoyed with people who do not, though I think peace is a virtue to strive for.

I also generally distrust authority and institutions, and hence wonder at others' reliance upon them. I see the impermanence of material things and do not associate high status with what "the world" values. The one exception in this area that I struggle with is relationships, and how they are used to imply or confer status.

I'm actually grateful for the medical problems, because I was handled with a bit more care due to them. For instance when a traditional school setting did not work, I was not punished, but switched to an alternative, open classroom, multiage setting until third grade.

I value freedom above all else. I know that is a carry-over from BEFORE.

Hello.

Wisdom is a God "attribute" I think ,among other attributes .

God is not a man and can be "known" by its attributes : wisdom ,faith ,love ...

Wisdom ,faith and love are connected and the univers is vealed in these. They cannot be seen ,but can be "lived" .

As God is eternal ,its attributes are eternal .

So ,the wisdom I am talking about here is the kind of wisdom according to God 's.

Maybe this sounds like "cheap" philosophy ,but is not.

"Wisdom" was apreciated in all the times ,and was the principal thing studied in all schools of "initiation" .

When it was said that somebody was born with "aptitudes " ,this states that the person came again on earth initiated in wisdom.

But this kind of wisdom is not (only) to read books,to study a lot ,but to live inside the wisdom and develop wisdom .

I think wisdom can be carried from life to life as long as we have access to the same material or parts of the same material that originated that wisdom.

Deborah said:
For me, wisdom can only be found through compassion. It is not something you take with you - so much as something you become............I know that sounds odd; compassion is not something we do - it is something we become. Dr. Moss talks about this in his book. The Second Miracle.

Knowledge to me reflects history, learned experiences and relates to educating ones self about reality and the world. Wisdom on the other hand - has to do with Matters of the Heart. ;)
Yes, I see a difference. I agree with this doctor that always tells us that knowledge is knowing the facts, but wisdom is knowing what to do with those facts when faced with a situation. Wisdom requires creating mental nets with the information. Wisdom requires reflection over the matter. Wisdom requires interaction with the surrounding and others.

Back