Childhood Games

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by BriarRose, Dec 22, 2013.

1. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

Ian Stevenson mentions in his work that very young children "play" at the vocation of their previous life personality. Other researchers have mentioned observing this in children. All I can remember playing was that I was ironing. I got a toy iron and board for Christmas when I was three. I was very disappointed that the iron wouldn't smooth the wrinkles out of cloth. The same year, I remember my mother having to leave the room with the iron on. Of course, she told me not to touch it, and of course, I did. I burned myself, and told her that a mouse had bitten me. Up until the age of five, I would study the pictures of laundry equipment in the Sears,Roebuck Catalog, and pretend to iron, by moving my hand through the air. I am told I looked insane. I loved the pictures of mangles - those old fashioned ironing machines that pressed laundry flat. I remember wishing I had one - you could put a crease in trousers so easily. I never made the connection from this odd, childhood preoccupation with my PL until today. Rose Rooney was a laundress! Duh! Does anyone else remember playing an early childhood game that connects to a possible PL occupation? For those of you with no PL recall, this could be a strong "clue".

2. MaritaMari

MaritaMari Senior Registered

Your is quite specific "game" to play, BriarRose :) To be honest, I haven't heard of many children pretending to iron :)

What I'm interest din is - how to distinguish a teacher/doctor game kids usually tend to play from pl vocations if there are no other clues that indicate a possible pl connection? Since there were many doctors and teachers and since they have to reincarnate like everyone else (unless we are wrong, and reincarnation does not exist) it would be quite normal for them to play being a doctor or a teacher. My guess would be that if a real pl connection exists, a child will probably play this particular game longer and more seriously than the other kids or than the other games this child plays.

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I was always fascinated with boats when I was very young. I would often turn the lid of a box game upside down and then load it up with supplies for my Action Man and my Sister's Barbie, and then the lounge carpet would become a vast ocean for them to explore together :D Then at bedtime, my bed would become a raft and my bedroom a grand lake that would take all night to cross. I did have a nautical past life, but that time was spent on big ships, so perhaps my childhood games came from my past life as Lisbet because I have a few memories of fishing on a raft with my father, and I really enjoyed those times with him in that life. I've always loved being on the water.

4. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I think I mentioned it in my thread but when I was around 8 I had a game where I measured people's arms and I compared them with a dog chart to classify every person into a dog breed. I also played making imaginary genealogy trees and figure out the children phenotypes based on their parents. I was probably around 11 when I was doing that game. Those are the only games that stand out as clearly past life related.

I also played explorer which could be maybe related to my Victorian life, although it's a pretty typical game. I was also a bit obsessed with humans having animal parts, dolls with wings for example, or I would create a pair of fly wings and attach them to my back, or antennas, or a tail. I' m not too sure if those are somehow past life related or just me being weird, the latter being a more plausible option. I also wanted to build a real car using things I found around the house and guiding myself with a huge book on how to fix a Ford T (we're talking about a 7 year old kid), but again, not sure if it's past life related since I don't have any memories of fixing or buildings cars.

5. BriarRose

That it was Lisbet, and the raft makes sense, Chris. Those must have been happy memories. :playing:

MaritaMari - I agree not many 3-5 year olds fantasize about being a laundress. As I remember, it went on until I was 5, and I don't remember playing much of anything else at that age. I sat with a book, or the Sears catalog, much to my mother's dismay. Until modern times, i.e. 1940 on, I don't think teacher and doctor were common occupations. Most people lived in rural settings, and farmed, and the teacher, or doctor, were the rare professionals. I imagine there were a few of each in any given community. For younger people, like yourself, playing those games is probably common. I think to be indicative of anything, it would have to be a big preoccupation, over an extended period of time. Stevenson mentioned games before age 7 in the children he studied, but most of them weren't in the Western World. Do you think you were a doctor, or teacher?

6. MaritaMari

BriarRose, I don't think I was neither a doctor nor a teacher. I played teachers quite infrequently and only after I started going to the kindergarden; pretty much the same way other kids did.

What I was interested in was to know if we can see the difference between today's children that play those kind of "common" games (or do they? with tablets and phones, I'm not so sure).

Owl, have you thought that maybe your fascination with humans with animal body parts has to do with what children tend to do - pre tent they have wings (fairies) etc? I'm just asking, even though to me it seems more pl related than not, but then again, we should explore every possibility before reaching a conclusion.

7. MaritaMari

Btw, I read about Dr Stevenson's cases. Majority of them seemed convincing, though, for me at least, some of them didn't.

And since we are talking about pl vocations finding their way in children's games, I have one major doubt - how do the kids that were born in a different nationality that speaks different language from the one they spoke in their pls, how do they, then, know the names of the items used in e.g. laundry in their current mother tongue, when they currently speak in a completely different language? That doesn't have much sense to me.

8. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

Thank you for answering. It's possible, and the most likely answer. I don't think I was thinking about fairies in particular. I just mentioned it because it was something I played a lot and it stood out, I' m not really sure how common it is, it was somehow a desire to be an animal. I don't can't see how it would be Pl related, I don't remember any animal lives nor I think it's possible to be a human, then an animal, then a human again. Maybe "winged people" is just one of those concepts that is similar in many cultures and I just got it from the "collective unconscious".

9. Twilight

Twilight Senior Registered

I always lined my toys up or get myself dizzy.

10. MaritaMari

I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand this. Would you mind explaining it a bit more?

11. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Many kids like to spin themselves round and round until they get dizzy. Just because it feels "weird". I remember doing it myself a few times. There used to be foot powered "merry-go-rounds" at playgrounds where you could sit down on it after it was spinning and get dizzy. I think this is what they mean. Lining things up sounds like a "neat-nik".

12. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

I was just thinking about this very thing this morning. We have a corner store in our neighborhood. It's larger than a convenience or liquor store but too small to be a supermarket. It's just about the right size to be one from my childhood imagination.

I used to play like I owned a store. I would go to the kitchen and take things like bread, shortening, oils, spices, etc., and line them up on the table, facing them so that they showed their labels correctly. Then I'd put bits of masking tape on the table in front of them and write a price. I'd make "sale" signs and tape them up. Then I'd stand there and wait for my first "customer", usually my mom who was looking for the dish soap!

I didn't think twice about it at the time, but in later years I wondered if it was PL related. I've seen photos of old stores and they stir a sense of nostalgia.

13. BriarRose

ShiftKitty, that's the kind of memory the "Grinch" can't steal. You were having fun without batteries, or ToysRUs. Old-fashioned stores were nice. You made me want to visit one again. People used to be able to "run a tab" at the grocery. My husband and I were talking about that the other day. It makes me want to reincarnate "backwards".

14. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Reincarnate backwards! I love it! Out where we live, general stores are hard to find. I have been in a few, though, when traveling. I prefer to spend money at local stores when I can. Especially when it's in an older building, talk about a "peaceful, easy feeling"! Maybe it was one of my happier, more fulfilling lives.

15. MaritaMari

Reincarnation backward seems lik a nice concept but, even if it worked, it probably wouldn't be what we expected. In order to have the same great feelings we had in our past lives we would have to reincarnate in the same family and have the same life situations, hanging out with same people, etc. in which case it wouldn't be the same reincarnation, but just a re-living of the one that we had.

We could, if we are talking about backward reincarnation, reincarnate in the period we lived before, but it would be highly unlikely to have the same life circumstances. This can go in two directions (or three, if we can live a life that is similar to the one we did) - first, that the life would be better, or, second, that it would be worse, in which case we might even started hating the period we previously liked. So... watch what you wish for :)

16. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

It's like revisiting places from your childhood after being away for many years. Everything looks smaller than what you remember seeing through the eyes of a child. Instead of being 3 or 4 feet tall you are now close to six feet tall.

17. Twilight

When I was in preschool to early grade school I was always interested in getting dizzy, there was an automatic spinner Magig that I'd spin the steering wheel and the toy would spin me around in circles. The lining the toys up I hardly remember, going by what my mom was saying :/ . As I got to gradeschool, I've been really fascinated by atlas and history. At the age of 12 Not only I've interested in studying history but got really into Military games like Halo and to my parents amazement ended up on Heroic/Legendary

18. MaritaMari

I think argonne1918 was right in saying that most kids like to spin around and around and feel dizzy. I remember doing that when I was a kid from time to time. Why do you think it was pl related in your case? Do you think it could be somehow related to something from your pls?

19. Widmo

Widmo New Member

As a child, from I can recall playing, I would play "Horse" games, we would play out "prison" games ( I was the doctor and guard), war was played often, including "survival" games. I don't recall a great amount of anything that could point one way or the other as hints. Most of it was subtle compared to what most post here. One theme seemed to stand out most was a militaristic theme, and a medical theme, including the prison games. Almost everything else I believe was normal play by children.

20. Twilight

Strangely enough, military games and to an off subject extent the Church tends to bring me at peace especially since working with reincarnation the interest has heightened. I spent the 2nd half of my childhood as Diana Devonshire (1632-1664) fighting in the English Civil war, only me and my sister; Tanya survived.

As far as getting dizzy, I can't seem to subconsciously get any info though.