• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Clothing

You are right of course, and I remember as well that I had to wear what ever kept me warm, was "appropriate" and so on (and these garment were scratchy indeed). I just can't stand it when people say anything against the clothing of an era (or a country)... not only because most of my memories are from a life or two during which I I had the oportuniy to wear the fancy stuff. Not that this would mean that everything was gold and glory. Just causes the deepest longing, sometimes... In fact, during my happiest moments I was wearing either something scratchy or almost nothing, aka monk or tribal life.

Hi There and back again.

I do have some style that might relate to my medieval life but I didn't mention it because its hairstyle not clothing.

For most of my adult life I've had long hair. I always felt more myself with long hair. One thing I wasn't surprised at upon remembering reincarnation is that an Irish warrior king would be reincarnated as a long haired rocker type. It just seemed perfectly correct to me.

BoruArticle.jpg

This feels appropriate too. It resonates with me for some reason, probably because of the overlapping of my medieval life with my current life love of rock:

Kinda glad that I didn't keep up with this thread given that it had went off the rails but I do have to wonder why the focus only being in the last century or two and nothing earlier after all some got a lot more miles on the odometer.
I’m rarely interested in any of the topics taught in my history class. I’d like to say it’s the teachers though, as they tend to make most everything we “learn” boring. The only thing in history (history that has taken place a while ago) that I’ve ever took an interest in was an early time period in what I think was Rome.

Loved seeing the paintings/ drawings of the battles. Where they’re on horses wearing some type of thing on their head and their armor. I honestly don’t even know how to explain what they’re wearing hahahah, but here’s a picture that’s close to what I’m trying to say. The thing I remember I was particularly interested in was the head gear (? Don’t know what to call it) that looked a lot like what the guy on the very left is wearing. I don’t remember the specific time period though or the details anymore, I looked into it a while ago.
F4F83C95-F5AC-4842-B5EA-F60555F8C1F8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the guy on the upper left?
1338838538_ow162_roman_republican_legionary_298-105-bc.jpg

Or more like this (spartan)?
iron-spartan-helmet-500x500.jpg

Or maybe this (anglo-saxon)
e769eb83fc935a4865ad84c93917279d.jpg

I also loved learning about the buildings and architecture from that time.
Love looking at these types of structures. I think it’s cool how they haven’t destroyed them to build something else.
upload_2018-12-13_11-36-7.jpeg
upload_2018-12-13_11-36-33.jpeg

I think it’s actually kind of cool, just leaving them the way they were from the beginning. It seems they haven’t tried to touch them up or mess with them in any way and I like that.

Folks used to dress that way here where I live in what was once the heart of the industrial revolution.

Basically folks here were no better than slaves. They made chains, nails, worked the mines, the canals and got kaylied in the pub.

Here’s a local ditty

‘From Tipton we am
Born an bred
Strong in the arm
And thick in the yed’

Folks used to dress that way here where I live in what was once the heart of the industrial revolution.

Basically folks here were no better than slaves. They made chains, nails, worked the mines, the canals and got kaylied in the pub.

Here’s a local ditty

‘From Tipton we am
Born an bred
Strong in the arm
And thick in the yed’
I've heard a number of variations on that rhyme, each one substitutes a local place-name in the opening line, and adjusts a little for the local way of talking.

One I'm familiar with,
"Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred,
Strong in the arm and weak in the 'ead."

Yes I’ve heard a few variations of it, too.

Derby is not too far.

The popular show ‘Peaky Blinders’ has made a lot of this stuff popular by glamourising it all. Some of it is filmed at a museum near me which has historical streets , canals , etc. But it is not Birmingham. Folks from here dislike with a passion when outsiders mistake them for Brummies. Apparently myself included. Rob Plant from Led Zepplin is a Black Country boy, albeit a very rich one now.

Peakys refer to the flat caps men used to wear. I’ve not watched that show apart from a snippet but the accents were hilarious. Sorry to say but Brummie accents when forced are cringe worthy.

I can't really get away with wearing dresses so i tend to hang around mostly in Tshirts and shorts. . ha ha. Although I admit I think it would be honestly really nice to know what it feels like to be able to put my hair up (if it were long enough to) or to wear something that makes you feel pretty. Past lives can be confusing when you switch genders and cultures sometimes.

I honestly think it's great to able to still wear things that connect you with your past culture and are still socially "passable".

I can't really get away with wearing dresses so i tend to hang around mostly in Tshirts and shorts. . ha ha. Although I admit I think it would be honestly really nice to know what it feels like to be able to put my hair up (if it were long enough to) or to wear something that makes you feel pretty. Past lives can be confusing when you switch genders and cultures sometimes.

I honestly think it's great to able to still wear things that connect you with your past culture and are still socially "passable".
Well at least a T-shirt and shorts are comfortable.

I don’t think I’ve had gender “issues”, haven’t felt more male than female. I’m good with the body I have. Although, I’d say my interests are more ‘manly’. Ever since I was little I’ve loved playing all different kinds of sports (soccer, basketball, etc..). I remember when I was younger I was on an all boys basketball team for a while and I loved it. I’m not saying girls don’t play sports, but majority of the ones I know aren’t into them. I’m also an insanely competitive person when it comes to these things. I always feel like I have to be the best at everything I do. With sports, I felt (when I was younger more so) that I had to be the fastest, always had to be the best at whatever I was doing. I’d practice over and over again to try and improve. Even would meet up with my coach individually to work on different skills. I remember when I was younger I’d get REAL annoyed if someone was “better” than me at something, not a very good trait, but it pushed me to better myself I guess. A lot of people viewed me as arrogant. That actually just reminded me, I remember parents getting agitated that I’d be yelling at their kids (who were on my team) across the field telling them what to do and where to be. I think I did this because I didn’t want to lose.
Not into those competitive sports nowadays, more so just love running. Anway.. didn’t mean to write this much, oops.

I'm equally comfortable male or female. I've spent my life doing both male and female things. I'm not into sports, but I am super competitive when it comes to action sports like paintball and multiplayer shooter video games. But I also love cats, I drink hot tea when it rains, I love to decorate and cook, I'm very close to my mom and grandmother. I was also her dad and grandfather in a simultaneous life.

I definitely say overall I'm more on the girly side.. but I'm fine with either as long as I can still be with the people I love.

I'm equally comfortable male or female. I've spent my life doing both male and female things. I'm not into sports, but I am super competitive when it comes to action sports like paintball and multiplayer shooter video games. But I also love cats, I drink hot tea when it rains, I love to decorate and cook, I'm very close to my mom and grandmother. I was also her dad and grandfather in a simultaneous life.

I definitely say overall I'm more on the girly side.. but I'm fine with either as long as I can still be with the people I love.
That’s cool that you have a past life that correlates with the people you’re close to. Do they know about it?

Can’t relate to the cat part, as they seem to be pretty unpredictable pets with a mind of their own. Don’t know if they’re gonna be chill one minute or claw my eyes out the next.

Having had a majority of male lives with a few female inbetween I relate to what you say, Totoro. I’m at a luxury to dress however I want and do whatever I want in terms of dress or whatever in this life. Despite that I’m happiest in men’s clothes. I can tell you being ‘pretty’ is overrated and has its own downsides. The major downside is that you become an object, no longer a person, which might be fine an hour or so but a whole lifetime that way would be a frustrating for me. The ‘me’ gets shrunk to the background and the shell becomes a mask. On the contrary when I’m in a shirt and slacks I feel empowered and the ‘me’ comes forward. But then, my experience is biased as I don’t identify as a woman. My mode of dress has been jeans, top, no makeup, pony tail. Low maintenance. Never have given a crap half the time how I looked. Last year got my hair cut off and it felt SO GOOD.

I consider myself a masculine spirit, but enjoy nature, poetry, the arts, music, beauty — to me these are how I express my feminine. I don’t believe any of us are without both feminine and masculine aspects. Just in different concentrations. We are, after all, the sum of all our experiences and our genetic thumbprint.

That’s cool that you have a past life that correlates with the people you’re close to. Do they know about it?

Can’t relate to the cat part, as they seem to be pretty unpredictable pets with a mind of their own. Don’t know if they’re gonna be chill one minute or claw my eyes out the next.

No they don't.. although my wife / ex does. I've talked about it with her, we have beliefs that are along the same line. I hardly think I'm unique though, I bet if people were able to identify their past families, they'd realize that they're with them in some way still, in the present. I think "loners" so to speak at the in the minority.

Having had a majority of male lives with a few female inbetween I relate to what you say, Totoro. I’m at a luxury to dress however I want and do whatever I want in terms of dress or whatever in this life. Despite that I’m happiest in men’s clothes. I can tell you being ‘pretty’ is overrated and has its own downsides. The major downside is that you become an object, no longer a person, which might be fine an hour or so but a whole lifetime that way would be a frustrating for me. The ‘me’ gets shrunk to the background and the shell becomes a mask. On the contrary when I’m in a shirt and slacks I feel empowered and the ‘me’ comes forward. But then, my experience is biased as I don’t identify as a woman. My mode of dress has been jeans, top, no makeup, pony tail. Low maintenance. Never have given a crap half the time how I looked. Last year got my hair cut off and it felt SO GOOD.

I consider myself a masculine spirit, but enjoy nature, poetry, the arts, music, beauty — to me these are how I express my feminine. I don’t believe any of us are without both feminine and masculine aspects. Just in different concentrations. We are, after all, the sum of all our experiences and our genetic thumbprint.

ohh no I wouldn't do anything that requires effort ha ha. I think you can / could still look cute without putting in a lot of effort or putting yourself out there to be objectified. I really don't agree with the latter. I think that's the thing is girls can be either practical or cute and fun and that's just something guys (at least in the west) don't get. Over the last couple decades I've seen a trend in unisexual trends in asia, since asian males tend to be skinner and more hairless than their western counterparts.

I'm not sure if it's dying young and denied in my last life or I just lean more towards the female side anyway, but that cute and fun thing is something I sorely miss.

No they don't.. although my wife / ex does. I've talked about it with her, we have beliefs that are along the same line. I hardly think I'm unique though, I bet if people were able to identify their past families, they'd realize that they're with them in some way still, in the present. I think "loners" so to speak at the in the minority.

ohh no I wouldn't do anything that requires effort ha ha. I think you can / could still look cute without putting in a lot of effort or putting yourself out there to be objectified. I really don't agree with the latter. I think that's the thing is girls can be either practical or cute and fun and that's just something guys (at least in the west) don't get. Over the last couple decades I've seen a trend in unisexual trends in asia, since asian males tend to be skinner and more hairless than their western counterparts.

I'm not sure if it's dying young and denied in my last life or I just lean more towards the female side anyway, but that cute and fun thing is something I sorely miss.

There’s no reason you can’t go ahead and indulge that part of you — what’s stopping you? People who are bold enough to go forward and break gender moulds are the folks who will show the way to the rest of us.

I noticed a lot of trans men are more comfortable than the average guy with bending the supposed rules of gender. I’ve seen them experiment more with clothing, hairstyles and even painting their nails (wouldn’t do it myself right now but if you want to, why the heck not?)

Take into account gender is a scale. Falling from one end female to the other which is male. Folks can be on either side of the scale or even move about on it. Some folks don’t consider themselves gendered at all. That’s fine. Personally I think the world is a better place when we are all free to be ourselves.

Boy George in the '80's and '90's is a prime example where many wondered what he was

Just be you people judge anyway

Just been thinking about this... having been considered unintentionally cute most of my life, it quickly gets boring and depressing. One of my memories of being a small person was a big girl picking me up, lifting me off the ground and internally me screaming 'Who do you think you're grabbing hold of?'

People are often quite shocked that this little cutey pie has a nasty bite. Though now I've given myself a buzz cut I think folks just assume I'm neurotic.

I can understand how being a 6ft something tough guy could be an equal prison. No way to show the soft side, everyone just sees the tough exterior.

The grass is always greener, amigo.

Just been thinking about this... having been considered unintentionally cute most of my life, it quickly gets boring and depressing. One of my memories of being a small person was a big girl picking me up, lifting me off the ground and internally me screaming 'Who do you think you're grabbing hold of?'

People are often quite shocked that this little cutey pie has a nasty bite. Though now I've given myself a buzz cut I think folks just assume I'm neurotic.

I can understand how being a 6ft something tough guy could be an equal prison. No way to show the soft side, everyone just sees the tough exterior.

The grass is always greener, amigo.
I could never cut my hair short, would never be able to pull it off hahah

I’ve gotten lots of stares by guys who are WAY older than me and it’s quite disgusting the looks they give. Highly uncomfortable, but I assume this happens to a lot of people. It actually happened just yesterday at the store and I felt so uncomfortable I hurried and left. I think you mentioned it earlier, but it does make you feel like an object. I personally don’t want someone to like me for my looks, rather them like me for who I am as a person. But it seems that a lot of people these days don’t really care about that, which is disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, cutting hair is the most liberating thing -- that's why Buddhists do it. It's a total non attachment thing to do, but not for the faint hearted. I had a head of Janis Joplin hair, seriously, three kids did something to my hair and sent it into wirey bush territory. Every time I had to brush that bush it was painful (not physically, but you get my jibe). I'm a total low maintenance person and now it's just hair is getting long, get the shaver. 10 minutes later, jobs a good 'un.

Some women shave their hair for that reason. Puts SOME men off ;) Especially the undesirable ones.
Well that is a good idea, and definitely low maintenance.
I like my hair, it’s not incredibly long but still past the shoulders. Not too much of a hassle, but I do get lazy when it comes to these things. Not really that much of a make up person either, I think I actually look (and feel) better with it off.

Hi tanker.

In spite of all I've learned about conflict I still can't help but feel pride in wearing that uniform. Here's a colour picture of a rebel uniform:

View attachment 895

Although after 1916 I realised that civilian clothes were more effective for success. Although I like the Volunteers uniform, its simple and functional.

Most of my clothes are black and white with some gray. I have to force myself to buy anything with color. And while I am a feminine woman who wears make up and is relatively girly, I love short hair and pants more than dresses/skirts. I love form fitting pants tucked into boots in the winter. In the summer it's form fitting capri pants with sandals. Always dark colors! I feel unlike myself otherwise.

Back