Cloud Atlas

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Arrant, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

Hi all,

I'm off to see the new reincarnation themed movie "Cloud Atlas" tomorrow night. It only came out here on Friday, but as movies usually open in the U.S. sooner than here, I wondered if any of you Americans have already seen it and, if so, what you thought about it?

2. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

It was not in theaters very long here. My sons saw it and highly recommended it to me "Yer kinda movie Dad." Unfortunately it was gone before I could see it. So I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD... soon i think. Let us know what you think of the movie.

T

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

I frankly don't think anyone is missing much by missing this movie. Either it didn't represent the book very well, or it was missing something in the visual continuity, or the concept was impossible to execute in the time given—whatever the cause, it left me cold, and very little of it has remained in my memory. The theme of the movie was only clear in the very last part of the film which represented an improbable and implausible period in the future when test-tube babies are mass-produced for food. Shades of Soilent Green? Actually a number of themes were covered in the film including reincarnation, and the result was a jumbled morass of science fiction, social depravity, lousy dialog, confusing continuity and good acting by Tom Hanks.

4. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

I've seen it! :) It was a bit confusing in places, and there was almost too wide a range of things covered all in one movie. But still, I liked it -

I posted this a little while back after seeing it:

fireflydancing likes this.
  5. AOSpare

AOSpare Zos Kia Cultus

If you did not like the movie alas found it difficult to understand, the book is a horrid example of multilevel writing. With costumes you can instantly place the watcher into a period, it is much harder with a book, then you have the special language that is very hard to grasp - in both places, book and movie. I gave up forever READING this story in print but I found it overall compelling and very well acted and a visual masterpiece. Not a five star but a four...just my two bits...

6. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I saw a trailer on TV last night. I can't wait to see it at the movies. I might go this weekend and check it out.

7. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

I have read the book, but have not yet seen the movie. I searched for reviews when I heard it was being released and was utterly flabbergasted at the amount of people who just didn't get it. Is the movie that bad, I wondered? The book, to me, was clearly about reincarnation. That was the point. The whole theme, and yet it was lost on so many people.

I admit, the first section of the book was hard to get into. I was dropped into a world I really didn't care about, with characters I didn't yet know. The writing seemed ponderous. I almost gave up.

But as I read, I realized that the experience was a lot like the past life flashbacks I have had. You are instantly transported to a place and time. Something important was happening, but it was not really clear what, beyond the snapshot you were allowed to see at that moment. I would not be at all surprised to find out the author has his own past life memories.

Some things I loved:

"Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies"

"One model of time: an infinite matryoshka doll of painted moments, each 'shell' (the present) encased inside a nest of 'shells' (previous presents)"

"The sound is pristine, river-like, spectral, hypnotic . . . Intimately familiar. Louisa stands, entranced, as if living in a stream of time."

Louisa is listening to the Cloud Atlas Sextet, which she wrote as a composer in another life. The book's title is Cloud Atlas. It is a story of six souls across six intertwining lives. Threads like these are sprinkled throughout the book.

Many more are less obvious. The composer comments on a cup of tea he hates. He calls it soapy tea. In a later life, as the fabricant, he, now a she, has to drink Soap to survive. In such ways, even the smallest seemingly insignificant details reverberate into the future.

I have experienced the same thing, only not in fiction. Read it, if you can get past part 1.

8. helz_belz

helz_belz Super Moderators Staff Member Super Moderator

The book is good, although when I read it, reincarnation was still just a philosophical/theoretical concept to me, not the reality it is now, so at the time I didn't pick up on a lot of the reincarnation themes and threads. Really must go back and read it again, it will probably mean many different things to me now!

As for the film, I've not seen it, but would like to, although I'm always a little cynical of films based on books. But it must be difficult to fit so many story threads into a single film, especially as the topic is so 'foreign' to most people.

9. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

The book has to be better than the movie. I saw it on opening day because it was PL related. It should go down in film history on the list of famous "flops".

10. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

I didn't see it last Tuesday as planned; other stuff got in the way. Rescheduled for this coming Tuesday. However, given the comments on here, and those of my parents - who walked out on it after only an hour - I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother...

11. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Do you have anything like Netflix there where you can rent it?

12. Tinkerman

I'm like you Arrant... I wanna see it but there are a lot of conflicting reviews. I guess, no, I know, I will watch it at the first opportunity and see how it resonates with my own perspective. You should do the same and hopefully report back. I am told it is best to see it on the big screen because of the cinematography. But unfortunately for me here on the remote plains it has moved out of theaters.

Tman

13. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

This is an old thread but wanted to comment on the movie - I didn't rush to watch it, given the mixed reviews (some reviewers didn't 'get it' at all, a few loved it) I was expecting it to be pretentious and incoherent (I don't have much tolerance for pretentious films), but turned out I loved it! It is long and initially the storylines are confusing, but if you haven't seen it and think you might be interested, do give it a try.

14. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

The film has popped up on HBO Go, so I will probably try to watch it again. I might read the book first - I usually like the book better!

15. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

Some critics said they appreciated it much more on second viewing than they did on their first, perhaps you will, too. Or not! No need for you to watch it again if you don’t want to! It’s odd, it received a fifteen-minute standing ovation when it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, but when it was released to the general populace it was scorned, I figure it would be a hard sell though; the religious would certainly hate it and so would the atheists and assorted skeptics. That leaves whoever falls in-between, which one would think would include the sort one finds here, but surprisingly (to me), mostly everybody here hated it as well. :confused: I love the fact that Roger Ebert loved it, for some reason that just makes me happy.

I loved that it was so complex, and that it showed a redemptive arc for some of the souls while others were apparently slow learners, and showed inter-connective lines between them, and that it tried to show the effects of one’s actions going outwards/wherever in time, that it was beautifully filmed didn’t hurt. Not to mention I’m just grateful it wasn’t some linear-in-time clichéd romance about star-crossed lovers or something. It wasn’t perfect and I felt that some of it was a bit forced but of course things don’t have to be perfect for me to love them. I’m still happy thinking about it, days later. :laugh:

Good luck with the book, not sure my attention span is up for it, but let me know what you think of it!

16. Tinkerman

Thanks for the reminder sister Grey, I'm gonna look for it now too. Sounds like something I'll like.

17. Aelfgyva

Aelfgyva Senior Member

A Touching Film...

Like many here, I didn't rush to see the movie. I did however buy the book shortly after it came out. Yesterday I saw the movie and all I can say is...I understand... and for anyone, like myself, who has multiple memories that occur spontaneously, it is just like this fast moving film... one memory overlapping another flying like clouds in a storm. I actually cried at the end to think that someone had captured what I experience on film! The book was easier to follow, but the film was visual...almost exactly what I see...lives flashing by in split seconds, through thousands and thousands of years! My husband sitting next to me could not comprehend my emotion, to him it was a confusing movie, a sci-fi film and he fell asleep before the first half. I was unable to explain to him...my only thought was...my clearest memory is that of The Bayeux Tapestry almost 1000 years ago...if I could have seen at that time what our world would be like today, it would have been very sci-fi. I'm still not sure he understands, nor am I sure that it is understandable for those who don't experience what the film showed. It will not go down on my list of most favorite films, but it is one that has touched me deeply!

18. Lia1992

Lia1992 Senior Member