Coping mechanisms?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Kenz1010, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

I just had a major panic attack triggered by a repeated scene that keeps popping up in my head. I was hyperventilating, my legs became weak. I had to sit down because I thought I might collapse and I couldn’t stop sobbing. Had conflicting emotions, overwhelming sadness, guilt. It’s like everything around me disappeared and it was so in the moment, like I felt like I was actually in the scene itself. Does anyone have any coping mechanisms to deal with certain traumatic repeated memories/ scenes? I feel like there’s no way to stop it from coming, the scene just randomly shows up with no warning. It also doesn’t help when it’s really hard not to think about in general. I feel like this will just be one of those things that will resolve in time. But I know that the scene I keep seeing is definitely not even the worst of it. I’m sure there’s ones in my subconscious mind that are much much worse, but I seem to be taking this horribly.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. BenjaminFR

BenjaminFR Senior Registered

Hello Kenz,

You need to learn some grounding techniques. Most techniques I learned are basically breathing techniques. These are little tools that, the more you practice them, the easier it will be to connect to the present and let those out-of-control emotions and thoughts fade away.

I would also advise you, if you are doing what I did, which is to frantically search for historical information, to take a step back and devote only a limited amount of your time and attention to things that will inevitably put you in contact with triggering information or materials.

As for the grounding techniques, there is a little app called Third Ear that I use with great satisfaction. It has lots of guided exercices to focus your breathing, of various lengths, and you will naturally learn how to use them and take control of your breathing - numerous studies have shown that it is key to lowering your body stress levels, including Cortisol.

Whenever you feel that a panic attack is coming, take a step back from what you are doing, put on the headphones and let the exercise guide you to control your breathing and attention. It has worked wonders for me, and I no longer need any app or guidance to slip into an altered state of concentration, that puts me out of reach of these bad emotions.

Hope it will help, and please let us know how you are doing in the next few days or weeks, you are not alone in this strange adventure!

3. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Member

I went through this when I really began to open up. I am sorry. I know it's hard. The first lifetime I discovered and the one I know the best dredged up some trauma. I spent the last few years of that life on the run, never knowing when the assassins would make another appearance. I started stressing about it in this life as well. Of course, I knew that no one would be coming for me now, but I started getting panic attacks, the constant threat of past enemies returning to the front of my mind again and again.

I believe what helped me was to see my death. After I regressed to that point, I stopped carrying around that concern with me on a day-to-day basis. It might have been coincidental timing, but I felt like the issue was resolved after that.

If you are in the middle of an episode, have a plan for ways to calm down. Find things that distract you or clear your mind. In my experience, music is a good starting point. Then when I get home, I take a hot shower and drink a cup of tea. Usually, I come out better than before. You have to find what works for you, and your situation, though.

What helped me to stave off emotional issues was actually putting myself deeper into the mindset of the situation: I focused on what I would have wanted back then to feel secure and made sure I always had access to it. In my case, two things would have made me feel safer back in the day: being armed and being with my companions-in-arms. I started being more regular about carrying a weapon--no skip days, always right within reach for me to touch whenever I felt something going on. I also made a point of spending more time with a friend of mine who kept me safe in that life. I never had an incident with them around.

Another thing you might want to look out for are stimuli related to past life events. Sometimes something in your life may be reminiscent of something else you once experienced, which may cause old trauma to resurface. Keep an eye out for patterns or events that may be causing you to return to that specific point in time.

SeekerOfKnowledge and landsend like this.
  4. Kenz1010

I’ll get the app, sounds like it has good results. Thanks so much

5. Kenz1010

I’m sorry you’d gone through that, and glad you’ve found ways to overcome it. Thank you for the advice.
    The scene seems to come out of nowhere. Embarrassingly enough I actually had the panic attack in the shower. I’ve had the scene pop multiple times before this, but this one was much more intense. I’m not sure if the shower could’ve triggered it to become more intense? I can’t think of a reason why it would, if that’s the case.

6. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

I rarely do this but if you ever want to share some of the stuff that you can't post on an open forum just pm me, trust me it's hard to shock me with the things I've heard, seen, done

Focussing on your breathing, finding distraction, finding the triggers are all important things, so is talking or writing about it

7. Klaus Heisermann

Klaus Heisermann Trotz Allem

It'll probably ease over time but, it is something that's definitely happened to me as well.

For a few months, when this all came back to me the second time around, I kept getting hit with what I refer to as "transmissions" and sometimes they get very, very bad.

All of BenjaminFR's advice is solid, especially about not letting it consume all of your time; what I started doing when it got unmanageable for a while and became a kind of absolute obsession, was to set a specific time I could devote to it, whether that was digging into research or going through what I'd already had to try and put more pieces together.

Also, like CanSol said, finding your triggers are definitely important because even if you can't stop it from coming, you'll have a solid idea of what's going to happen, and why. For me, a lot of it is certain music that I need to avoid, whether that's because it'll "take me back" too hard, or I just get entirely too emotional about it.

fireflydancing and Kenz1010 like this.
  8. Kenz1010

Interesting to hear that one of your triggers is music, what kind?

I don’t really know what triggered that intense flashback, maybe just an overwhelming amount of stress? Or maybe there wasn’t even something that triggered it, it might have just found it’s way to the surface or something.
    I do know the things that trigger me to become very emotional though, which has helped me figure out some things.

My body has gone into panic mode by the dumbest things lately, and the things that have triggered me to feel that way didn’t trigger negative emotions/ reactions before, so I’m not sure if I should dig much deeper into the past right now.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

I know them too. I put on music that is not related, for distraction. I drink. And I try to wait until it is over. I know all attacks will end. I try to keep this panic attack isolated as just an unpleasant period of time. A few times I stepped into this panic, to confront my fears, but that is not a piece of general advice. It depends on the situation and the triggers and on your mental condition.

Kenz1010 likes this.
  10. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

What sometimes helps is humor. Watching comedy, reading black humor jokes, making up my own jokes... when there is something scary you cannot change anyway, there is no harm in having a good laugh, either as a distraction or to see a funny side in the darkness.

11. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

I cannot watch anything during a panic attack. It consumes me. And I have never had one for visual things. It was emotions. Being powerless, feeling abandoned etc. The past life feeling comes to my current now to be relived again.

AlexD likes this.
  12. Klaus Heisermann

Certain military songs, "Ich Hatte Ein Kameraden" absolutely devastates me every time I hear it. There's one and I have no idea why, but it has always made me irrationally angry, any time I listen to it. "Ein Guter Freund" by the Comedian Harmonists also messes me up in some very strange ways that I can't really put into words but, it's a very strong reaction every time.

Stress is definitely something that'll kick off a flashback sometimes, or make you much more sensitive to having them in my experience. There's a thing my group and I have talked about that we've termed "contextual relevance", where something isn't any kind of exact but it's close enough. For me, that's been a lot of what sets it off, if it's not just a transmission.

You may want to give it some space then, if you're in a spot that volatile right now; if you're able to though, you may want to dig deeper right now, try to find the issue sooner than later. It can go either way, and it's going to vary hugely from person to person because what worked and works for me here may absolutely not work for other people.

Kenz1010 likes this.
  13. Kenz1010

Here we are again. I just accidentally triggered a flashback. I don’t think my heart has ever beat this fast while laying down. I feel that all these memories are just at the surface and are about to all come pouring out of me. Again, I started hyperventilating and bawling, I’m actually out of breathe and sweating.
    I’m behind the tree line looking out at the field. I feel very cautious, almost like we’re trying to be quiet. I know I’m with others but I’m not focused on that. I’m filled with so much dread and fear. Right now I feel so tired and confused I don’t know what’s going on. Sorry if I sound completely delusional I don’t know what’s happening but I need to find ways to calm this down.

14. Klaus Heisermann

No friend, you don't sound delusional at all, trust me. I started to lose it a bit in Walmart earlier, got super blurry and disoriented and actually had to leave because I thought I was going to drop out in the middle of the store.

Are you somewhere safe at the moment? Sometimes, if you're able to, it's easier to just let it come and go, that's how I've gotten a lot of my information.

15. Kenz1010

Yes, in my room. I keep seeing a build up of it, walking through the brush quietly, looking down at my boots but still in this weird mental state. I think this is before I’m at the tree line. My hands are freezing right now and will randomly shake. I get random waves of emotions of dread and agony and can’t stop crying I feel like something horrible is about to happen. And I keep thinking “please help me”, it’s bad. I think it’s made it worse since I’m so tired right now and can’t think straight at all.

16. Kenz1010

When this happens I can’t separate reality, here and now, I completely feel like I’m back there. I feel like all my feelings and things that are going on are exactly how I felt in those moments, why can’t I recall something semi-pleasant? I don’t even know why having a flashback of being behind a tree line and walking through brush would trigger me to become so panicked and feel so much dread.

landsend likes this.
  17. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

Some of the heaviest fights that I remember and know of happened in such areas

18. landsend

landsend Senior Registered

The same occurs to me especially when something is emotionally blocked for some reason or other. Just try and get some rest if you can, not sleeping definitely intensifies the feelings for me.

19. Kenz1010

There’s definitely some sort of blockage, but I feel like everything’s about to come pouring out very soon, it feels like it’s all at the surface about to overflow. I’m mentally and actually physically drained from all of this.

20. Kenz1010

Oh and another thing, I can’t think straight like at all. I’ve become so ornery and get annoyed at the littlest things when it’s my problem. I don’t know what’s gotten into me lately.