"Did someone call me?"

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Looking Backwards, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Aaab

Aaab New Member

This reminded me of the time I stopped at a friend's place to pick her up. As we were heading out the door her husband called her back to ask her something delaying our departure by a couple of minutes. As we were later driving along the motorway we were stopped by an accident that had only just occured where a car had crossed the median barrier and smashed into five cars travelling in same direction as us. I have often wondered if spirit guides may have played a hand in delaying our departure as there is a very real possibility we could have been caught up in this accident if we had been a few mintues earlier leaving.

2. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I've told this story before, but it was actually an unexpected "voice at the back of my head" that cued me in to investigate a possible past life. I was doing research about what I thought might be someone else's past life, and a somewhat familiar sounding voice came out of left field and said very clearly, "Jody, look up John Paul Jones." Now, I knew this voice was in my head (as in, no one was standing behind me) and I wasn't disturbed by it because it seemed to me to either be a message from my higher self or a spirit guide or something, because I've actually heard from it before (to prompt me of a name I'd forgotten or an appointment I'd otherwise miss). But it clearly wasn't part of my regular thinking process because I was totally absorbed into researching another group of people entirely.

3. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Yes, I have heard people saying my name and other things...only to find nobody near.

The strangest one was sometime back, maybe a year or so ago, when I came home from work. I was checking my mailbox when I heard a child ask me if I could help her. I turned around to respond and there was no one there. Well, I don't know if it was imagination, or if it was a spirit, but I wondered about it for a long time.

4. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Sorry, I hadn't seen your reply till now :) It's exactly as you describe -- an internal voice. It was as clear and loud as if I had said them myself, but it was (without sounding too crazy) in my head :eek:

I just found in my notes another experience I had forgotten about where the same thing happened, but in French. Again half asleep I heard a woman say "Le BAR rouge" repeatedly and insistingly and then 'Ces't la vie, ma cherie' and ending with 'Tout ne's pas' or something like that. I don't speak French at all, although I know a few phrases, but this experience was sooo weird :confused:

5. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

I am so happy that I am not the only one here. I have a few experiences to.

When I was in High school:

1. I was waiting for school bus and talking with my dad. After I got on the bus a we were about a mile away. We were picking up kids and all of us talking and laughing. When all of a sudden I heard my dad call my name loud as day. I spun around so fast my neck hurt for a few days. But my dad was no where around. I thought he had followed the bus. I asked him later about it, but he just laughed it off. So I left it alone.

2. I was alone in the house and we lived in the country. No one could come or go with out you being able to see them for about ¾ mile down the road. I was cleaning the dinning room and I saw my dad pass by the window. I quickly went out side to talk with him and he was no where around.

3. Another time I was washing dishes and saw my dad again pass by the kitchen window. Went out the back door and again he was no where to be found. (I was alone in the house again)

4. A few years ago I was at work enjoying my music and entering data in computer. Out of no where I saw my dad's face right in front of me, between the monitor and my face. I stopped in my tracks and co-workers asked me what happened. I told them and they just said maybe my dad was just thinking of me.

5. Now my sister and I both live outside of city limits and it is heavily wooded around here. I went to my sister’s house about ½ mile down the road with my son it was about 10:30 at night. No one was home but we went to check on the house. As we were getting back in my car. I heard my name loudly. I ignored it thinking it was in my head. But my son asked “Mom did you hear that? Some one just called your name.

6. dobsd

dobsd New Member

How strange to find a thread about this on here as this happened to me only yesterday.... Walking through a corridor at work, I turned a corner and heard a female voice say my name. I looked back around the corner and there was a male work colleague there who I asked if he had said my name and he had not. This happens quite frequently with me, especially if I'm tired.:freak:

7. Meagan

Meagan New Member

I read through this thread and found it very interesting. I also had an experience where a voice saved my life!

When I was 23, I was driving home from my college classes and turning left onto a busy road. While I was waiting for the light to turn green, an Ambulance was wailing it's sirens in the distance. When the light turned green, I moved forward cautiously looking to my right for the Ambulance and not paying attention to the oncoming traffic in front of me. I started to turn left while still looking to my right and a very loud voice yelled "turn right"! (I was all alone) At that second, I jerked the wheel right and barely missed the car coming at high speed head on. The driver blared his horn but only after I heard the voice and responded. I believe that I would have died or been seriously injured. It was the first time that I knew someone was looking out for me. :angel:

8. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member

Now I also find this thread to be so very interesting. I for one have not had much when it comes to this type of experience with hearing my name called. But what I myself have experienced is that how often am I out somewhere deep in the wilds just living and enjoying life and I hear voices loud and clear and people seemingly talking. But when I look around and about, there is absolutely no one around whatsoever but just my lonesome self.

9. Florence

Florence Senior Registered

I also never remember hearing my name called but I WAS saved from killing two people.

I had just turned into my subdivision and was approaching a cross street. I had right of way and a stop sign was posted on the cross street. The man on the corner lot had Lilac bushes the were very old and very large. They completely blocked any view as they grew all along his fence line right to the corner

A voice in my head suddenly yelled STOP. I hit the brakes and as I did a motorcycle flew right across in front of me.....a young man with a girl hanging on for dear life on the back. My heart started thumping wildly in my chest as I realized how close I had come to klling those two people....they were no more than 10 feet from the front of my car

It happened again after that with another car....but not so dramatic as the first experience.

I now slow way down when I come to that corner ....twice is enough...

My son, on a regular basis asks me if I called him when he is coming out of his bedroom. He believes I am in the hallway calling his name. I say no and he says "Well, it's probably that spirit having fun again" Remember this is the house where things move around and rings disappear....The dog often looks down the hallway and barks at nothing...so Steve is probably right.

10. 4mysonK

4mysonK 4mysonK

Funny, I was about to say something about this on my son's thread (Ian's story) because this happens to us all the time.

As a child, I used to hear my name being called, and it wasn't until it happened in the busy lunchroom at school that I realized my friends weren't experiencing it. Now it happens to my 5-year-old. He hears his name being called quite frequently. I've been in the room with him many times when this happens, and there is no 'normal' explanation for it.

To add to this, he sometimes specifically hears my voice, AND I specifically hear his voice. I don't hear my name anymore. I hear "Mom" very clearly, even loudly. Once, I heard him calling me, so I thought he'd arrived back home from being with Grandma. I yelled back a reply, but soon realized no one was home with me. When he finally did get home, I asked if he was talking about me in the car. He said no, but he'd been thinking about me.

(It's not always my voice he hears, though.)

Also, I've found that I'm increasingly predicting what he's about to say, no matter how random. Sweet connection!

11. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

It has been said that the bond between a Mother and her child is the strongest connection there is, in the human world (as well as the animal world)!

Perhaps carrying that child for 9 months drew you two very close in a psychic sense.

I'm not surprised that you hear each other's voice from time to time, perhaps you and your Son are naturally clairaudient (clear hearing), or perhaps it is just the Mother-Child connection.

I would be interested in hearing if you and your Son have any more instances of connectivity (such as clairvoyance [clear seeing] perhaps) or some other type of feeling.

Ian sounds very fortunate to have a Mother who is so understanding. :thumbsup:

12. Sarellah

Sarellah Senior Registered

Wow...I just found this and I cannot believe so many people have experienced this. I feel less crazy, wow!!!!!

I hear my mom calling out my name sometimes but she sounds frantic, terrified, distressed and lost...

I wonder if her energy from when she felt that way still resides in our house. Or maybe I just fear her becoming that way again.

It's funny because when she really does call my name, sometimes I think I'm just hearing voices :p

13. ColourODarkness

ColourODarkness Senior Registered

When I was in my late childhood/early teens my life was really stressful, and I'd hear my nan or my aunt call my name all the time if I were in a semi-quiet room.

I'd sometimes here my mum calling my name also and actually go downstairs to ask what she wanted but she hadn't called me at all :laugh:

This was also a point in my life when I was very spiritual, extremely interested in the paranormal, often went 'ghost hunting' with friends, and actually on occasion heard what I believe to be 'ghosts/spirits' talk to me.

It stopped after a few years, but occasionally I still hear my name being called from somewhere in the house when it hasn't been~

14. ColourODarkness

My mum actually mentioned something similar that happened to her not long after we moved into our new house. Just as she was waking up in the morning she heard a woman very loudly say "Good morning~" which startled her awake and made her panic :laugh:

15. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

"Semper Fi" is the motto of the U.S. Marine Corps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semper_fidelis

16. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

Interesting to see this thread. I've had a few experiences - not of the calling my name type, but this sort of thing.

I had a voice (but not a physical voice iyswim) in my head once stating "Home NOW" and I got home as fast as I possibly could, to find the (then) lodger had inadvertently left my front door wide open - ie vulnerable to any passing thief. It wasnt a physical voice on the one hand or a thought on the other hand iyswim. Difficult to describe, but I put it down to my "guardian angel" looking out for me.

The other incident is a sound (but not voice) nature. One night in my last house I was just about to go to bed and heard the noise of a loud item of factory type machinery very loud and clear in one section of my bedroom. There is no factory anywhere near that house. I looked outside the house for the cause of the noise and all was as normal outside. I checked inside the neighbours house (in case it was them) and all was normal. The rest of my house was normal. That noise was only there in that one corner of that one room and there was no possible source of that noise at all.

I was scared and also knew my attempts to get to sleep would be disrupted by the noise so, when the noise was still going after about half an hour, I went into the other bedroom to sleep and keep fingers crossed this scary noise would soon stop. I must have woken not that long afterwards and went and checked out my bedroom and the noise had stopped and I then swopped back to my bedroom for the rest of the night. I have occasionally wondered if there is such a thing as a parallel universe and wondered to myself if that was an instance of one intruding into our universe (ie in a parallel universe there was a factory built on the site of my house).

The other thing I noticed in that house was there was an occasion when there was a group of helicopters hovering directly over my house for quite some time in the middle of the night. It was too dark to see them - I could just see their lights (but not the helicopters themselves) and the noise was quite clearly helicopters. I know the sound of helicopters well, because the local police there often took off for a fly-round in their helicopter. I subsequently rang the local police, airport, etc to complain and ask for an explanation and they all said it wasnt them (which may or may not be the case of course).

I would be interested to hear any thoughts anyone has on those two noise episodes.

17. ColourODarkness

When I was young I once heard a horse and carriage down the street I lived at around 2am. I was so convinced that there was something there I stood on my sisters bed to look out the window only to see nothing.

Rather recently I could hear what sounded like gunfire just before I went to bed, I asked my boyfriend about it and he couldn't hear it at all! I sometimes hear the humming of a machine that doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere... Very strange.

18. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Maybe the factory was there BEFORE your house was built. Do you know the history of the area? I have seen stories like this in tabloid papers over the years. So it's more common than you think. Have you tried recording the sound? As for the helicopters, we have several police helicopters in my area. They are over my neighborhood several nights a week. They are looking for someone. They radio the patrol cars on the ground and direct them where to look. They have infrared and night vision equipment and are able to see in the dark. The lights are either to assist the officers on the ground or sometimes a decoy to fool whoever they are looking for. In a few years the police helicopters will be replaced by unarmed drones. Much quieter and cheaper for the tax payers.

19. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Senior Registered

I don't tend to agree with drones being quieter. I have found that they fly over the area I have moved to occasionally:eek:OMG:eek:. Awful awful things and that's an example of the British understatementsaywhat

The mere fact of what they are about literally makes me "go into shock" when they are around and I have become a vehement opponent of them. My feelings about them and what they represent arent "polite" enough to put in print or of the "people" who are sending them up (I did put "people" in inverted commas for a reason....:rolleyes:). Some of them were in the same room as me the other day and the atmosphere changed visibly the second I found out who they were and I had to keep well away from them....I cannot find it in me to forgive them for being involved in something like that (even if I am busy thinking that they must be incredibly "young souls" and I should be more understanding of the "babies in the class").

Anyways back on topic and I understand your reasoning - as in some sort of time lapse. That is a possibility, but I understand that those houses were built back in the Victorian era on land that was previously green fields. So, unless it was a very BIG time lapse and back before Recorded History there was a factory there many many thousands of years ago (ie the "civilisation" it is said existed on our Planet prior to Recorded History and we now have very little trace of it indeed).

20. Gnostic

Gnostic New Member

Awakened from a very sound sleep

I have heard my name called very loudly and clearly over the years. Usually, I'm sound asleep and it wakes me up. My husband is disabled, so we sleep in two different rooms. I frequently hear him call me in the middle of the night. I get up, and walk into his room, but he is in a deep sleep, or he is awake watching television and says he didn't call me. This has happened so many times I've lost count. The last time I heard a voice in my head, it was my grandmother who "died" in the 1980's. It was her voice and she said "Hello" kind of tentatively as if wondering if anyone was there. It happened just as I was waking up and I remember wondering if she heard me say hello back and the feeling disappointed that the "connection" may have been broken and she didn't know I was there and heard her. It happened in a split second.

When this first happened years ago, I did not recognize the voice of whoever was calling me, but someone distinctly called my name. More recently, it always seems to be a family member (either living or deceased) and I always recognize the person's voice.