Different ways of receiving past life information/memories?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by velveteen, Dec 26, 2018.

1. velveteen

velveteen New Member

Hi,
    I was curious if anyone knew anything specifically about the different ways we receive past life information. For example, 95% of my past life recollections are extremely visual. My life and soul are centered around visual arts so it doesn’t surprise me. My triggers are visual, and I was able to validate my own memories through paintings and photos I researched this year.
    My friend however, has experienced almost no visual memories, yet can piece who she was and her story together. She receives her information emotionally and has vivid experiences of her past life but through understanding ? I was just wondering if anyone else knows more about special ways of receiving information like this

fireflydancing and Speedwell like this.
  2. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

In my opinion there is no "special" way of getting our memories back, depending on our perceptions they are equally valid. The only difference is that as humans we tend to trust our eyesight more than the other senses or our deep perceptions, so if memories manifest in ways other than visions we are more likely to doubt them or misinterpret them.
    I've had a mix of visions, physical sensations, strong emotions, and memories that re-emerged without triggering my senses. The latter in the sense that I'd know how things went without re-living the images, sounds or physical sensations, just trusting the emotional response. I reckon it's somewhat easier when you have a visual recollection because you are more likely to grasp the details. In such case the details are in my memory, but in complete darkness (as in absence of a vision) so I have to rely on my deeper perceptions to make them clear. Depending on the lives I've had a predominance of either visual, physical or emotional recalls. My first remembered life has been extremely visual, supposedly because I couldn't possibly have reconstructed it any other way (it was very distant). The most recent ones emerged as physical sensations first, then I got memories and validations of other kinds. The life that is emerging now is almost completely in the dark, I've only had two extremely brief visions of it, the rest is all about deep emotions and memories that I still have to interpret consciously. I live with a member of my soul group (we have reincarnated together in the majority of our remembered lives), so she has given me some validations of my memories too.

velveteen, Jim78 and tanker like this.
  3. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

@AlexD. I too have a mix of visions, physical sensations and strong emotions. What I find interesting is that one or two people like yourself have spoken of memories re-emerging without triggering the senses, i.c., knowledge of events without re-living the sensations. I've never had this. It sounds like a good idea if you can do it, as I guess it would save you a lot of distress. Is there a particular way of encouraging this to happen that anyone knows of?

4. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

Sorry tanker, I said that I have had recalls of events without re-living the sensations, with the five senses. I think it has to do with the mental filter we were discussing in the other thread about the terror barrier (or pain barrier in that case). I have relived the emotions though, in some cases I lost my sleep because of that. I can't really say it has saved me the distress, it's just like reliving the events being completely blinded to visual and other physical stimuli. But if you have had an emotional shock, having such an experience won't be painless.

tanker likes this.
  5. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi all. Pretty much all of my memories that I've described to other reincarnationists are visual but that doesn't mean that every instinct I have for past lives is visual.

Many many times I've accurately described past life occurances without having had a visual aspect. I just don't really discuss them because they are not visual. I like to focus on what can be verified visually.

Maybe that is only giving me half of the picture though because my non visual senses have a 100% percent verified success rate just like my visual memories do.

Like Alex said...its easier to doubt a nonvisual impression than a visual one. Maybe I should be more open to them.

velveteen likes this.
  6. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I don't seem to have a mental filter. I just get everything, all the terror and pain, without an apparent barrier. I don't seem to have any control over when or where it happens.

7. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

I suppose it is an individual thing. For example some people are moved by the written word, such as poetry. Others by music, or visual arts. Of course in everyday life we experience sounds, words and vision, but we don't all have the same responses. Certainly vision is direct, the cinema and tv shows us how much of a universal thing it may be, but that doesn't mean we all see the same things. Just as some may be deeply moved by the layers of meaning in a poem, to others, there are depths in ways of seeing, going beyond the surface appearance. In this lifetime I'm pretty much musically untrained and illiterate, yet I spend most of my free time in amateur music. I expect that in a future life, music may be a pathway through which I recall this one - if there is anything to be recalled.

Still, I'd say the primary way of connecting is the emotional one, which may not be describable, but without emotion I don't think there would be any meaning or relevance in past-life recall, it would all be equally dull and uninteresting.

velveteen, tanker and Jim78 like this.
  8. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Well put, Speedwell. I don't know what it is, I seem to be over-sensitized to everything, poetry, music, arts, visuals, all the other senses ... and sometimes it's just too much, all at once. Some days it just floors me and I can't do a thing.

velveteen and Speedwell like this.
  9. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

I don't have many visual memories like flashbacks and such but I mostly get them thoughtwise, kind of like when you forgot something and all of a sudden you remember something from lets say 10 years ago when you hear, see (including reading) or smell something

Along with remembering something I also feel the same things I did back then, emotions, sensations etc
    I can also feel things that stem from a PL, like feeling exactly where I was hit before I was killed

For me visual memories aren't more valid or important than the 'knowing', thought or other possible options, everyone remembers differently

If I ask here to remember something that happened 15 years ago in this lifetime, many of us remember something from that year in different ways and no method is wrong or more important than the other

10. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

Welcome to the forum, velveteen!

Most of what I get from regression is visual, combined with sense of touch or smell sometimes. Audible is rarest, don't get these from self-regression, probably due to the background music in such videos. Music or sound can work as trigger, though and cause flashbacks. I also get "sudden knowledge" and just emotions. Or a spontaneous memory that is much like when you suddenly remember something from your childhood. Also possible: the "No, but". You see something at TV or read something, and suddenly go like: "No, this is not what it was like back then. No, but..."
    Haven't tried regression often lately and only get occasional flashbacks. These short flashbacks are mostly visual, but may contain sound or sense of touch, too (emotion comes after), sometimes it is words going round in my head or almost understanding something...

Like CalSol, I wouldn't say any method or way is more valid than the other.

tanker likes this.
  11. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

For me I’d say it’s been mostly visual. And like CanSol said, some of them are like thoughts. One memory started out as a repeated thought that popped into my mind randomly, then later turned a lot more intense. Had a flashback and felt like I was actually there, felt the emotions, felt like I was actually doing the thing the memory contained. I also think some memories have occurred in dreams, and I remember snippets of them when I wake up. I wonder if there’s some sort of way to remember the good times, all the memories I’ve had/ experienced aren’t very pleasant. I want to remember the good times but those memories don’t seem to come to the surface.

Also many things have changed for me since the flashback/ memories. I used to run outside when I heard a plane over head (liked watching them fly by), now it sometimes gives me panic and anxiety to hear one. Other things have changed that I won’t mention, but that’s one observation I’ve made.

12. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the world of Neuro-Linguistic Programming, an understanding of how we use our various senses. Each of us has a predominant and less-used senses, most people seem to be visual, followed by auditory, then kinesthetic (or the other way around?), next are smell and taste I think. Back in the day, when I was very deeply immersed in NLP, I could decipher a person's method of "knowing". It's interesting; most everyone accepts it as something that "just happens", not realizing that they actually process it through some sequence of their primary senses. An example is someone might produce a visual representation, get a feeling about it, have a secondary visual stimulation of some kind, and perhaps something else before ending with the final sensory affirmation (mine is a feeling). This is where eye-movement is so important in NLP since the eye position, visual direction, indicates a mental function that is being accessed (one of our senses and its variant). I mentioned variant where examples are seen below.[​IMG]
    The mirror-image of this also occurs, like people are usually either right or left handed, but most of us are as shown.

Part of what led me to get away from therapy was my discovery of how easy it was to actually change a person's beliefs by stimulating their senses in the same order as they use in their "knowing" sequence - this scared the heck out of me because of the power that I had at my command after practicing the art for about seven years.

I use to like watching the Ted Koppel show in the evenings to watch how the people used their mental processes by their eye movement. You also become pretty adapt at seeing a lie being spoken!

So, getting back to the thread topic, yes we usually process our experiences in our "primary representational system", an NLP term.

glia21, Li. La., tanker and 3 others like this.
  13. Li. La.

Li. La. Senior Member

Very interesting thread. I experience remembering through the eyes, ears, nose and emotions of my so called past self (yet not found her so can't really prove it), but yet things seem to be in distance - like past life me writing down something and yet I can't remember what she wrote; it is what she feels and sees at the moment so even if she looked at the piece of paper and wrote it - I can't reach it. Sometimes it just flashes by and I can't hold on to it, other times it is very clear and it feels as if I remembered every second of the scene. Emotional scenes seem to both pull me into remembering, yet they also push me out because there are too much emotional - leaving me with lots and lots of threads with no beginning and no end and no order. I have to like try to tie them together when I've had enough. I've experienced remembering ever since I was a small girl - and kind of held on to the memories. I've experienced being a rather young mother who past away suddenly so I think that has been the reason why I've held on to those past life people I've experienced past life me being connected to. Anyhow, enough about me - really like enjoying reading this thread and how we remember : ) Thanks a lot /Li La

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    tanker and velveteen like this.
  14. Thyme

Thyme Active Member

85% of the time I have visual memories.

Sometimes I can smell something specific.

Sometimes I can feel intense pain.

Sometimes I can't explain the sensation. This includes unknown voices, meaningless phrases or symbolisms.

I have emotional reactions (anger, sadness, happiness or a mixture of all) and somehow those emotions help me know if I'm going through a "good" or a "bad" time on the scene, without the need to get visual memories.

15. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

That's fascinating, Ken. I knew nothing about all that. Do I take it that your diagram is as if you're looking at the subject? i.e. the 'remembered side' would be on the left if it was you?

16. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Interesting about your 'past life me' writing things down but still being out of reach. I actually get clear 'dictation' from my past self, and can write it down almost at talking speed.

17. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes tanker, that is the directions the observer would normally see when facing you. I did my doctoral dissertation about it and know that this is correct as the statistics showed the possibility of it not being correct was infinitesimally small in my study.

tanker likes this.
  18. Ritter

Ritter Banned by Moderators

What works for me:

1. Past life regression. (Self regression)
    2. Getting hideously drunk while being exposed to music from bygone days. Weird, but works.
    3. Meditation (learning how to listen).
    4. Going places and doing things
    5. Reading history and finding things you recognize

Li. La. likes this.
  19. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

2. and 5. seems to work for me, too, yet still, I wouldn't recommend 2.

Li. La. likes this.
  20. Thyme

Thyme Active Member

3. 4. 5.

I know this deflects the thread completely, but is alcohol really good for remembering past lives? I'm curious.

The answers in this thread are very interesting and I learned many things. :)