Discovery of quantum vibrations in 'microtubules' corroborates theory of consciousnes

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by fiziwig, Jan 17, 2014.

1. fiziwig

fiziwig moderator emeritus

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-discovery-quantum-vibrations-microtubules-corroborates.html

A review and update of a controversial 20-year-old theory of consciousness published in Physics of Life Reviews claims that consciousness derives from deeper level, finer scale activities inside brain neurons. The recent discovery of quantum vibrations in "microtubules" inside brain neurons corroborates this theory, according to review authors Stuart Hameroff and Sir Roger Penrose. They suggest that EEG rhythms (brain waves) also derive from deeper level microtubule vibrations, and that from a practical standpoint, treating brain microtubule vibrations could benefit a host of mental, neurological, and cognitive conditions.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-01-discovery-quantum-vibrations-microtubules-corroborates.html#jCp

-------------

While science still thinks of consciousness as originating in the brain, I think the fact that it is mediated by quantum level phenomena support the theory that the brain expresses consciousness, but that consciousness itself has it origin "elsewhere" outside the physical realm. Just as a television displays images that have their origin outside the TV set itself.

Once it can be established, scientifically, that consciousness does not originate in the physical brain then the continuity of consciousness, and its transmigration from body to body, incarnation to incarnation, becomes an inevitable consequence.

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I do love the idea that Science is on the verge of bringing us proof of what we believe. It would change so many things about how we see the world, ourselves, and other people, even though acceptance from the scientific community and the public would be slow in coming.

3. Totoro

Totoro Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been saying that for years... it's both! LOL

4. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

Makes perfect sense to me!

5. Ghost of Gumby

Ghost of Gumby Hi, Friends : )

This is certainly one of those mysteries which science may never solve anytime soon, and does seem a long way from resolving the issue of whether consciousness can persist separate from the physical form. Perhaps this brings that a step closer, and I am mystified myself by these "microtubules" in the brain and the possible relationship to quantum dynamics, it seems to me to be more in the theory stage at this point. But if it can be proven it would lend to a greater degree of understanding on higher consciousness.

6. IrisG.

IrisG. Senior Registered

Why does the finding that quantum mechanics is involved in brain function indicate that individual consciousness is a separate entity and might survive death? Can anyone elaborate on this? It seem there is an emerging trend towards an “quantum religion“...I am familiar with th very basics (entanglement, double slit experiment etc.) but I do not see the link to the assumption of an immortal soul (which I generely believe in).