DNA testing to validate ancestry!

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by lagrima, Feb 1, 2006.

1. MaritaMari

MaritaMari Senior Registered

It would be interesting to check DNA results for reincarnation. If you were your ancestor I don't know it it would be of any help, since you'll have to have similar genes (I'm not a scientist so it's just a guess).

What would be even more interesting is to see if your DNA matches someone (or someone's descendants) with whom you and your family are not related at all.

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

At the present stage of genetic research, I think it would be a reasonable assumption that DNA, as it is understood today, would not reflect a person's past life in any way or by any known means. Every individual has a distinct profile that is unique only to them, and would reflect similarity only in cases of close familial relationships. Of course, 95% of DNA is regarded as "junk DNA" only because we do not yet know its purpose other than the fact that it seems to be constructed like a language that we are still unable to decipher.

Some theorists, therefore, suggest that this very large portion of our DNA may contain the sum total of our human history; so, perhaps it is possible that in the far future there may be some kind of connection.

3. Delonada

Delonada Senior Registered

Basically the soul is the software and DNA is the hardware. I can install the same software even though one computer is from Dell, whereas later I might get a computer from HP.

Now, Apple computers though...

4. MaritaMari

MaritaMari Senior Registered

What is interesting is that so many reincarnation researches showed physical similarities of the possible past life connections, like the facial structure, hair and eye color, etc. If those physical attributes do indeed appear from lifetime to lifetime, why wouldn't it be the same with DNA? Even though we might look like our previous selves it doesn't exclude the fact that we might have strong resemblance to our parents and relatives.

AlexD likes this.
  5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

How the physical body reacts to its past life experience and emotional makeup is, indeed, a profound mystery. If we are to believe Dr. Ian Stevenson's cases involving birth defects which relate to past life claims, or even Dr. Walter Semkiw's cases involving similar physical traits, it would certainly seem that something very curious is possibly happening that may be somehow directed by DNA. But, it may be interesting to note that DNA doesn't remain unchanged, itself. In fact, genetic research has discovered that our behavior and habits can cause DNA to change. This being the case, if we accept the theory that one's soul can occupy a new body, then it seem logical to also theorize that the experience of the old soul can also change the DNA of the new body in such a way as to resemble the old body.

6. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

It is my belief that the soul can influence various aspects about the foetus as it is making its connection in utero...sort of enhancing some genetic effects while minimizing others. It also seems to me that a soul has characteristic ways of using a human body, so certain tendencies or traits would easily carry over from lifetime to lifetime.

As for genetically validating a prior lifetime, I can see it would be interesting if available, but I find analyzing my connections to other soulmates and my planned purpose for this lifetime a great deal more exciting...my past lives are what got me here and their validity is not in question from my standpoint.

7. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

Readily available technologies may also be of help in validating possible Pl connections.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  8. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

In Jeffrey Keene's book Someone Else’s Yesterday, about his PL as General John B. Gordon, he remarks that he thinks DNA could be used to verify PLs. I think that his thoughts about this is because of his resemblance to the general. I thought it was a radical idea since I thought your DNA was more a result of your parent's DNAs.

I do not think that his belief that we always look very similar was accurate and thought to myself that he would not be a very attractive female. He possibly thought of that also because, if I remember correctly, that he did not believe that we changed sex.

9. larali

larali New Member

I had my DNA tested several years ago at 23andme.com, just for the fun of it. It is a very cool thing and I highly recommend doing it, if you have any interest at all in ancestry/ health/ genetics! I learned so much about myself and my ancestors.

I honestly don't know how that would help in determining past lives because you'd have to know 1. Who you "were" in a past life and 2. What their DNA makeup was, in order to make a connection. If reincarnation is even real (I'm still a bit iffy about it, to be honest).... then it seems like your soul and your body are pretty separate entities and I don't think it's likely that the DNA would match.

Fact. A person's DNA is an exact combination of 50% mom and 50% dad. This is common scientific fact and easily proved by genetic testing.

10. Marc Ross

Marc Ross Senior Registered

MRI scans likely more useful than DNA tests in PL research

Larali: DNA results might not be helpful in research into past-lives.

SEE Post #8: MRI scan results might help narrow-down research of historical records; providing you have a good idea of the region you felt that you PL lived.

11. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

This DNA testing is very interesting and I am planning on doing it myself. I am considering doing it through a DNA and One Name Study Project, where for example people with the surname Smith or Jones pool their data. All of this fascinates me.

I'm not sure how DNA could influence or relate to past lives, as it would be more of a biological factor as opposed to spiritual/soul... but then again who knows. The earlier posts regarding certain Jewish family/tribal influences was interesting too.

Has anyone else had their DNA analyzed?

Tman

12. Guest

Guest Guest

yes used Family DNA in Houston Texas

13. autumnleavesnnovember

autumnleavesnnovember Senior Member

Okay, I recently became interested in DNA testing because my nephew got an Ancestry.com kit for Christmas, and his DNA results were all over the map! Both sides of the family pretty much have always assumed certain bloodlines, but he's got lots of other stuff. He also was 2% Jewish which was a surprise. (Talking about Rabbi Gershom, as another poster did--while I very, very much like him, I think he personally does not like the idea of being anything but Jewish, and that it's doubtful anyone is Jewish in all their lifetimes.) My question to any and all who have had the DNA test: Did it verify your beliefs about where you lived or who you were in a past life? Because, as others said, it seems like DNA would strictly be a body thing, not a soul thing. But maybe it's both?

14. Christina Conrad

Christina Conrad Member

I did my Ancestry.com DNA. I was shocked to find out that I was 100% Caucasian. I heard so many rumors of having Native Americans in my ancestry but it did not show in my DNA. Also, my grandmother's mom was from Germany but I got no Western Europe. I was 75% Great Britain, 6% Scandinavian, 6% Eastern European, 5% Irish, and the rest was trace amounts of European ancestry. I have never connected reincarnation with DNA, but it is fascinating nonetheless.

15. autumnleavesnnovember

Christina, I once read a book by a well know Native American activist who said people loved to believe they had Native American blood, and they usually traced it to a Cherokee tribe in Virginia. That's exactly what I was told as a child, but I stopped claiming to be part Native American after reading that! :) My nephew's DNA test showed no Native American ancestry. Your results did not show "mainland Europe"?

Okay, if you believe in reincarnation and think about past lives, do those areas mean anything to you past life wise? The interesting thing about associating DNA testing with past lives is that those who don't believe in reincarnation will probably say countries that seem familiar to you, even though you never have traveled to them, do so only because of your DNA, not any possible past lives. But what if your DNA is associated with past lives?

Sunday

16. Christina Conrad

Christina Conrad Member

I am not saying it's not related. I just hadn't considered it. I think anything is possible and there are so many things we don't know! I did find out I have an ancestor that was married to a Native American and he took on a Native American name too. I am wondering if that's how the family thought we had Native American. It was in there but by marriage only it seems. Ancestry did not show any mainland Europe. Ironically, I have always had a huge affinity for England, as well as Scotland. For whatever reason I feel like I was a man in England in a past life, that I was somehow from a wealthier family, and kind of a ladies man. I just associate myself more with the men's clothing styles. I specifically think 18th century.

17. autumnleavesnnovember

If I remember the Ancestry categories right, Irish could also mean Scottish or Welsh, and Great Britain could be British, Scottish or Welsh. Okay, so now you are one person who has an affinity for a foreign country where you had ancestors, as well as believe that you probably had a past life in that country. I remember Jere who use to post in this forum had a huge attachment to Scotland, even though she was Asian and grew up in Hawaii. She ended up marrying a Scottish guy she met online and moved to Scotland, where, the last I heard, she was really happy to be in Scotland . . . or back in Scotland, if her past life memories were correct.

18. Sarra

Sarra New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. :) I joined so I could add my two cents to this topic...

I have a couple of past lives that I remember fragments of. The most recent one I remembered was of leaving Cuba in late 1518 to go on Hernan Cortes' expedition to Mexico. To be completely honest remembering that kind of blew my mind at first. I initially starting trying to disprove the memory but kept coming up with matching information. Then I stumbled across a scientific paper saying that past lives may actually be passed down memories within our genes I decided to have a ancestry test done. I used Familytree dna and then cross referenced my results with gedmatch, and dna.land. My results came back matching ethnic groups in Sardinia, Italy (Spain often accepted conquistadors from neighboring countries) and 7 different Native American groups across Mexico, Columbia, and Bolivia. I have some ancestors (confirmed through genealogy and oral family history) who lived in Spanish held St. Augustine, Florida (and I grew up near there myself)...so I'd say yes dna testing can validate past lives/reincarnation!

My dna results confirmed another past life as well but I will save that for another post if anyone is interested or can tell me where would be a more appropriate place to post that info.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  19. my2cents

my2cents New Member

20. my2cents

my2cents New Member

Ken J, What exactly are you calling an exact copy of your mother's and father's dna? An exact copy of some of it, for sure, but unless you're indistinguishable from your siblings, it's more like a blend of seasonal fruit.