Do you approve of cremation?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by Sarellah, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Sarellah

Sarellah Senior Registered

In Judaism it's said that cremation is wrong because our souls have energetic attachments to the body, especially if we spent a lot of time focusing on our physical and material needs, and it will take a lot of time for that attachment to go away. That is why cremating a body will cause the attached soul pain. What do you think of that...and would you get cremated? I am sorry if this post hurts you or makes you anxious...

I have recently heard three different people bring up cremation this month (two today) and I feel the universe is pushing me to discuss this.

I don't believe in that theory because I was raised Jewish, but because it makes sense to me - objects carry our energy and there is no object we spend more time with in our lives than our bodies...

I also wonder if the body being cremated after we die will affect our cell memory and make us afraid of fire in our next life.

2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I don't think it matters. People who write those things in the holy books don't remember their past lives. Catholics were taught that cremation was a sin. But in 1964 a new Pope said cremation was OK. Nothing is written in stone. Some of the things we were taught as kids have turned out not to be true.

3. Sarellah

Maybe - I suggested to someone whose brother got cremated to contact him through mediumship and ask him if it hurt. I wonder if she'll take my advice...I am not anti-mediumship because we can get a lot of answers from the other side...

4. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member Staff Member

I want to be cremated when I am gone. I feel like then I will truly be "free" .... if that makes sense. I told my daughters to put part of me in my beloved research room, some in a local Goodwill and do what they wish with the rest ...

Doesn't really matter because I will always be with them anyway. <3

Angie Brown likes this.
  5. Sarellah

Of course you will! <3

6. Aelfgyva

Aelfgyva Senior Member Staff Member

I do not belong to any religious congregation, but the words “ From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be” are very comforting to me...I also choose cremation!

Angie Brown and Tinkerman like this.
  7. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

I think cremation is the best option. If there's still a link with our bodies after we die, it's better to destroy them all, so that we can be totally free. And... we'll take up less room.

Have you seen CSI? If not, ask a medical examiner about the process of decomposition. A coffin won't save your body from that. If my cells suffer from being cremated, I wonder what kind of memory they will have when they're eaten by all kind of bugs. (They're dead anyway, I don't think they'll remember at all...)

Angie Brown likes this.
  8. inhaltslos

inhaltslos Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm going to be cremated. After visiting a past life related place a few times, I thought how much I'd like my ashes to be spread there. I don't know how feasible (or legal) it would be, so I am not banking that it'll happen (I'm not going to 'hold my breath' so to speak...hahah). However, even before that experience, I had wanted to be cremated. The idea of being buried really makes me anxious.

I think what happens to your remains is very personal and should be well thought out. Not only should you have it decided so you're comfortable with the decision, but you need to discuss it with your family so they know what to do. My husband isn't too cool with cremation, but he knows what my wishes are and the same goes with me for him.

In my last life, I was cremated. No fear of fire here, Sarellah.

Angie Brown likes this.
  9. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Did you know that in the past some people were accidentally buried alive? They were thought to be dead but actually they were just in a coma. They later woke up and realized where they were and pulled their hair out because they were so frustrated that no one could hear them. We know this because there have been coffins exhumed where the position of the arms and clumps of hair indicated this is what happened.

10. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

All of these are interesting responses. I get offers of cremation in the mail fairly regularly, usually around my birthday. I have wanted to call them, and ask if they plan to wait, or intend to start now. :rolleyes: I approve of cremation in principal, but am leery of going that route myself. It's for the reasons that Sarellah mentioned. I have a superstitious fear that I could feel it, and the soul is somehow "attached". When someone is cremated, they have really left the world in every sense, and for me, it adds to the feeling of loss. I was Jewish in a PL, and that may be where these feelings come from.

11. Sarellah

Maybe! :) Also, did you know that 35% of the mercury of the air in Sweden comes from cremation and that the chemicals released from crematories are so toxic that no one can live near them...Burning of fossil fuels is an ancient hazard to the environment that we need to get rid of.

This is where I got some of these opinions from. Someone sent it to me yesterday and I think you'd be interested, BriarRose: http://www.ou.org/jewish_action/11/2012/the-cremation-challenge/

12. Owl

Owl Super-alt Mitglied

I don´t want to be cremated, I don´t see the reason for it and it gives me a bad impression. I want to be buried so hopefully I would be able to somehow recover my bones in my next life and... I' m not too sure what I would do with them actually. Genetic studies? Being cremated is more poetic but less practical in that sense.

13. Sarellah

Me neither...I don't want to lose my body-soul connection until my body disintegrates naturally...all things are a process...

14. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

The body is simply a vessel for the soul to have a physical, human experience. Once the soul departs, the body has served its purpose, and immediately begins to decay naturally. Cremation simply speeds the process.The soul is elsewhere by then, and the fate of the body is immaterial. Personally, I don't care if my body is tossed on a rubbish dump once I've departed. My friends and family might care otherwise, and that is essentially the reason we hold funerals - for those who remain behind.

Angie Brown likes this.
  15. Sarellah

Everyone has a different opinion, but I believe we are always connected to our past on an emotional level...otherwise, what would be the point of this forum? I believe funerals are to honor the life of the departed, as well as to comfort the grieving.

16. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

I agree with you entirely.

My point was simply that what happens to the body is a matter of irrelevance to the departed soul. The soul is past caring.

Angie Brown likes this.
  17. Sarellah

I hope so. My mind is not past obsessing over my past life, including my physical body's health, appearance, etc. but I hope my higher self let go immediately upon death. They say pain is impossible to the higher self...I sincerely hope that is true.

18. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I have had various ideas about the disposal of my remains over the years. There was a company that compressed the body into a gemstone, (I have no idea how!) but my children refused to "wear" me, even in a nice setting. Another company cremated the remains, and set them off in fireworks over the ocean in San Diego. I was partial to that one. My grandchildren could say, "Ooh! Doesn't Granny look awesome!". That company is now defunct. I presume there were no fireworks. My current plan is to wander into the desert, so my remains can return to nature quickly. Seriously, modern funerals really put me off, although I do have interesting ideas for the ensembles that I might wear for the occasion. :D

By the way, thanks for the link, Sarellah. I will peruse it. :)

19. MaritaMari

MaritaMari Senior Registered

I don't particularly care. We die and we reincarnate no matter how we were buried. I don't see how the ceremonies after our death can affect our reincarnation process. I find it's more about superstition than anything else.

Still, I'm more for burial than cremation, but not for religious or birth/rebirth reasons. Simply put, if there is body then maybe some DNA testing could be done or any other test people invent in the future that could possibly prove the relation between the living person and their pl body. No body, no tests... and who knows, maybe ultimately no physical proof of reincarnation.

20. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

I found out that a guy had the skull of one of my past lives in his house. I like skulls. If I smoked I could use it as an ashtray, like the one I bought as a gift to my brother. But I don't know, maybe my visitors would get a bit nervous being around it... and they wouldn't want to come back. Hey! It's not bad idea after all... :D