Do you believe we "choose" our parents?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Sarellah, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

We all have different views on how we define "God", but my personal opinion is that we are all God. Everything and everyone is God. I don't believe there is anyone or thing higher up, sitting on a throne on the clouds telling us what we can and cannot do lol. :D

2. Sarellah

Sarellah Senior Registered

yeah maybe the mother planned it too and forgot about it. shes of course more likely to forget because she hasnt been in the spirit world for a longer period of time :)

3. Sarellah

i don't claim to know for sure the answer to that question Kristopher :) i think i believe G0d sits on a throne and commands and judges us but i am not sure. (the throne is just a metaphor though.) are you a new member? i don't remember speaking to you but it's nice to meet you :)

4. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

Well no-one can claim to know the answer, I suppose, as that's just not possible to know. This is obviously a completely different subject we're on, but I'm unsure about who or what has control over us (if anything) against our will. At the same I have to question if souls who have lived on earth and caused horrific crimes (we can all think of a few), would be 'allowed' be reincarnate again. I don't believe in hell as its traditionally known, but it's a tough one to think about. No I'm not new I've been a member since 2011! I've just been really busy recently lol.. Nice to meet you too! :)

5. Sarellah

Thanks :) I actually never thought of it that way. I always thought Hitler and the Nazis were meant to be born again to learn love and compassion, but maybe not. Someone told me Hitler types become Big Foot or the Lock Ness Monster, lol

6. Misty8723

Misty8723 Senior Registered

My personal belief if that no one has control over us, we all have choice, and no one is beyond redemption or not "allowed" to reincarnate. I think it depends on our level of advancement how much of our life in this plane is planned out and how much left to chance or choice. For example, a very advanced soul might just go with a general idea of what they want to learn, while a less advanced might plan out every move and detail.

7. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

This reminded me of a song I listened to over and over again in 1979. The Logical Song. I grew up talking and asking questions about my 'past life' memories - as well as my 'trips to the light' due to multiply 'near-death experiences' as a child. I wasn't giving testimony of what I had sight and understanding of from the 'spirit world' as much as I was trying to get the adults of my life to help me 'make sense' of it all for the sake of my own human mind. I can not count the times I was told,

"That is just not logical, Son."

Through the early 80's - I was still dealing with spirit directly, so much so, that it wasn't unusual for me to look up and see a 'transparent' figure of a persona walk right through my wall - to have a discussion with me about the differences between the 'spiritual world' and the 'human world.' I would try and tell my friends about the 'phantom' spirits that visited me from the other side. How many times I heard,

"Dude, that is just not logical."

If I have learned anything from my experiences - it is -- when it comes to spirit - nothing is logical. Logic is the illusion that keeps our minds grounded in the physical reality. I learned that to fully embrace spirit - you had to let go of the logical approach. That is why I got such a kick out of the song. When someone approached me with a logical mind about spirit - I would tell them,

"Your talking in your sleep."

The metaphor came from the song.

"There are times when all the world's asleep,......"

I related to the world of man - as a slumber chamber and logic was the blanket people wrapped themselves up in - when slumbering in the 'temple of the dog.' I once had a friend ask me why I refered to the 'world of man' as the temple of the dog. I told him,

"Because here, we are 'god' turned inside out, backwards and upside down." (God spelled backwards is dog.) It was my way of saying the 'temple where man worships the image of man -- and the logical mind he walks with while in a deep slumber."

Sincerely,

DKing

8. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

you can watch Roger singing it himself at a concert.

9. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

My parents agreed to be my parents and my maternal aunt was my backup mother in case mom couldn't or wouldn't play that role. We chose to come together in this lifetime for a multitude of reasons, but the primary being the particular assembled souls already in the family, the time and the opportunities available to "usetawuz" presented by this family and its situation and location.

10. Obie

Obie Senior Registered

My spirit guides guilted me into choosing the family I'm born into. I strongly believe that. I wasnt happy to be born in this family and I knew things would be difficult at times.

I was a colicky baby. Could taht have to do with me not wanting to be born ?

11. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

That's an interesting thought. My oldest daughter was quite colicky, and I was young, and could do nothing right for her. I think she wanted to be her father's child, and I was just part of the package. Does anyone else have thoughts about this? Are unhappy babies with their families against their will?

12. usetawuz

Hmmm...I was colicky, though I never got the sense of unhappiness...I felt close to both parents and my sister when she came along. My daughter, who is definitely mine and came to be with me, was colicky and had reflux...a remarkably uncomfortable infancy, but she has brightened every day of my life and seemingly I hers. My son came in without difficulty and seemed to glide through his infancy and younger years making friends and influencing people...he made it all look easy.

Another question along this same tangent...in my family, both my parents had only one sibling, as did I, and both my sister and I only have two children each...in each case, and without exception, the younger child has enormous math capabilities while everything else remains equivalent. The older child doesn't so much have difficulty with math, its just that even the higher maths come extremely easily to the younger child of the pair. Does this sound like a past life sourced situation or might it come from a biological or societal or even birth sequence cause?

13. BriarRose

I think it must be past life, because I don't know of situations that duplicate it. It doesn't tie in with any birth-order data that I have read, although my youngest is the only child of mine who is good with higher maths. I presumed it was because her father was more mathematically "able" than I am. Any thoughts from other people?

14. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

My younger sister told me awhile back that she was always good at math and likes numbers. I never knew this before. She wishes now she had pursued a career in accounting. She'd be a CPA now.

15. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member

Now personally, I do not know if we personally choose our parents or not. But personally both of my parents have now passed on. And from what I have experienced in this present life, am very grateful for having them both as my parents. I obtained something profound in this life from both of them. And I would not at all be surprised if this is indeed the situation in which we do choose who are parents are in the next life.

16. dking777

I have a memory of talking with my two grandmothers and my grandfather about reincarnation - and the fact I could recall a time (prior to my arrival in the world) when we had met up and discussed the 'relationship' factor in the future and how we would be together in this world. I could never grasp the 'by-chance' explanation I was given about how our relationship came to be.

I can recall the 'mentality' I had as a child - and asking a question to 'test' my elders. I can recall telling my Grandmother,

"How can you say that if you know different?"

"I don't know differently."

"Well, how come I know you know it differently? How can there be a difference in what I know and you know if we both knew it together before?" I hope I don't forget it like you forgot it. This seems mighty important in my mind. You grown-ups are a hard lot to figure out sometimes. Walking around and talking like we never knew one another before. That is something I can't figure out."

I have vivid memories of the discussions I had with my Dad, Mom, both grandmothers and my grandfather about 'our' fate together being a choice we made together prior to 'coming here.' I don't have vivid memories of what I had sight of as a child that led me to the conversations. Just the discussions.

So, I feel that our spirits have a hand in the choice of our grandparents as well when I reflect back on the childhood conversations I had with my elders as a child - about reincarnation memories.

Sincerely,

DKing

17. dking777

I recalled another conversation that took place shortly after the one I mentioned. My grandparents had a retirement home in the country they used as a summer home. They lived in the city when I was a child and I was used to visiting them there. When I was 8, I spent part of the summer with them. There was a constant flow of relatives I had never met before. On one occasion I walked outside to find a group of 'relatives' visiting their country cousins. I stopped in my tracks and someone asked, "What is wrong child, you look like your seeing a ghost." I was starring at a male relative. I walked up to him and asked, "Are you as mean this now as the last time I met you?" I made some more indirect references about the 'last time' we met because by that time - I knew not to talk too directly about it. He had a strange look on his face and said, "Your talking like we have met before and I have never laid eyes on you until today. I heard about you and how strange you were. Now, I know that part is true. What are you talking about. I don't remember meeting you before." I went on to tell him, "If you ain't got the mind to remember it yourself, I don't have the mind to remember it for you. I got enough on my mind trying to figure out what I had on my own mind when I agreed to get this close to you again. Now that I am here looking at you in the face, I am trying to figure out - what the heck was I thinking. You is a mean one. Slippery as a snake. I got to remember to keep my eye on you and not let you get away with the same things again. I was expecting to run into you again, but now that I am here face to face with you - I is having second thoughts about it." I went on to describe the character of his past life and someone said, "For someone who has never met you before - he has you figured out." There was rumors around about my past life memories and someone finally said, "I think he is talking about you from a past life." He scoffed and said he didn't believe in such a thing. I told him, "Your believing don't make it any less so or any more than what it is or isn't'."

I made a references to the 'time' we agreed to meet up again in this world and how I had been comfortable with it 'then' but coming face to face with him and recalling parts of our past life together was making me very uncomfortable.

All these years later, I can recall the conversation but nothing about what I actually had sight of. This relative and I did grow close for a while and developed a fondness for one another. The worst I can say about him was his sarcastic wit and how ornery he was.

I knew a choice had been made by both our spirits prior to my birth - but as a young child - I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of an 'inner part of me" making that choice.

It was one of the first time's I ran into the concept of 'fate' and how we were supposed to meet up. I would always ask him, "How did you find me like you did - if you can't remember us from before? The last thing on my mind was finding you - so - it wasn't up to me. If I would have had it on my mind, I would have been running the opposite direction from you. So, it had to be you who did the finding."

Sincerely,

DKing

18. usetawuz

Wonderful response! And so true! Just because they don't believe it doesn't mean they aren't starring in their own play...and their disbelief only increases their fear and prevents their providing an Oscar-worthy performance.

19. BriarRose

I have more than a few relatives that I would like to avoid next time, dKing. From my understanding of the process, those are the ones I'll encounter again. I'm glad that you and your relative developed a "fondness". You must have been a challenging child to raise - as was I! My parents would often look at me in disbelief, and I could tell they were wondering if the hospital switched the babies. I wonder if that is where the Celtic idea of "changelings" came from? Were they children that didn't "fit" in the families of their birth?

20. dking777

I do feel those 'hidden memories' of childhood conversations are like treasured gems. I really didn't appreciate the moments as a child, but can really appreciate the experience in hindsight.

I had grown up talking about 'past lifes' and at the age of 6 when the 'near-death' experience became a factor in my young life.... my conversations and insight increased and were compounded.

To me, it was like walking out of one room into another room with a person - and when we got into the other room - they switched from being one person to another. I could remember it just like I had just been in the room with them - as another person. I just felt others had the same 'memories' I had of it. Of course, I was a child and didn't know how to add 1 + 2 yet or write complete sentences on a piece of paper. The majority of people I grew up around expressed a 'disbelief' in reincarnation and in my young mind - it was beyond a shadow of a doubt. It was absolute. I would often hold up my hand and ask how many fingers where on my hand - and then ask people how sure they were that I had five fingers on my hand. When they said they were absolutely sure I had five fingers on my hand - I would tell them - "That is how sure I know you from before." In 1st grade, the biggest subject I tackled in my own personal young life was the whole 'idea' behind 'belief' and what it meant. I can recall telling one elder, "You can believe the sun is the moon and the moon is the sun - all you want. It don't mean the sun isn't the sun and the moon isn't the moon - anywhere else but in your mind."

Before I discovered that 1 + 1 = 2, I learned that 'belief' plus 'ideas' don't always add up to the truth.

As a child, I was never out to change anyone's mind about their beliefs. I just wanted to know how in the world they could forget it like they did. Of course, when I became an adult, I too forgot my childhood experiences and the direct insights I walked with after my 'near-death' experience about past lives and reincarnation. I don't know that I really ever forgot it entirely, because it would pop up from time to time in my early adult life - and I would just 'stuff' it back down in the 'unconscious' as if that was the thing to do while walking with two feet firmly on the ground in the world of humans. As a young adult, I became more respectful of people when I encountered someone who 'didn't recall' their past life as I could. I would joke around about it and then tell them, "When we get home - you will get the joke. It will creep up on you and take you by surprise when you finally figure out what I just said to you."

My favorite 'metaphor' was "your slip is showing." I looked at 'past lives' as a 'hidden undergarment' that everyone kept covered up and tucked away inside. I would hint at characteristics from a past life that had probably carried over into this life - and people would ask, "How do you know that about me?" That is when I would tell them 'their slip is showing. Guys would jump on the fact - they didn't were a slip. I would never tell people what I meant by that and tell them they would have to wait until they woke up in the afterlife to get the joke.

I looked at life 'here' as a masquerade ball. I felt people didn't want their 'true identity' revealed while walking around hidden behind a mask. I would tell them, "when you get home and take off your mask - you will get the joke and understand what I had sight of hidden inside of you."

As a young adult, I looked at a person's personal belief - as a 'security' blanket. It would be rude to walk up to a child and jerk his 'security' blanket away from him and tell him he don't need it -and he would be better without it. I felt if a 'person' walked with 'disbelief' in reincarnation - it was up to them to let go of that 'false security' blanket when they had a mind to find something better to cling to. I got tired (as a child) of having people 'kick me in my shin" when I tried to change their minds too fast about 'reincarnation' as a fact.

But time and time again, I ran into relatives, friends and even strangers - where I would recall some type of 'choice' made in spirit that brought our feet to cross paths here in this world through an act of fate. Try to talk to people about 'predetermination' or 'reincarnation' before their minds are ready for it - and they will turn blue running out of breath trying to 'repeat' their belief's over and over again - not so much to convince you of the truth of their belief, as much as to convince themselves of it.

Sincerely,

DKing