Do you think proof of Reincarnation is actively being repressed?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Jody, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I'm sorry if this question comes off as being a bit paranoid, but historically speaking, it's not that far-fetched, IMHO. It would seem that if Reincarnation is real (and I believe it is) there would be a lot more people coming forward about it than there are, given the plethora of information available on the Internet to research and verify claims. I'm a bit of a "conspiracy theorist" and I know how much certain political views are suppressed these days. Reincarnation is not a political view (per se) but the idea is very threatening to some people and it has certainly been suppressed in Western churches for a very long time.

2. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

In the west for the past two thousand years yes but it is apart of eastern culture so ridding it from there would be far more difficult. We can thank the church and some types of minds/personalities for repressing it in the west because such allows them an additional measure of control over society. It was extremely profitable to those in the establishment when for so many there is fear of death and the beyond ect so people are made to believe that they got just this one chance at making it all in life vs having any hope of having another chance never mind a better one.

fireflydancing and SeaAndSky like this.
  3. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Jody,

Religious people with a different viewpoint don't want to know, and will both repress such memories within themselves and discourage such ideas in those within their religious context. Children are especially susceptible to this type of thing, and will quickly learn not to mention aberrant memories and will (in time) forget them. Secular and materialistic people will do the same as they do not believe in anything that breaches the current materialist atheist paradigm. They will, likewise, discourage such ideas in their children, the larger society, and especially in the public school systems and colleges to the extent they can. So, its getting squeezed from both sides, but I definitely believe that people in the U.S. and the West in general are more open to these ideas than they were 50 years ago.

Cordially,
    S&S

fireflydancing and Speedwell like this.
  4. Speedwell

Speedwell Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

No, I don't think there is any particular active attempt at suppression of this particular idea. Clearly some religions accept reincarnation while others don't, but that has long been the case.

There is a broader issue in the West, where there are intertwining threads of a broadly Christian history together with more recent science. The latter, science historically arose from those with various religious, spiritual or occult beliefs. For example Newton, known for his ideas on gravity as well as laws of motion, also was deeply invested in alchemy, a somewhat mystical area. Many other founding figures of science had either religious or spiritual beliefs.

But at some point there arose a view that science and materialist atheism were supposed to go together. One consequence has been that even consciousness itself is rejected as just an illusion or an artefact of brain processes. Some go further and claim that brain processes themselves are wholly deterministic and thus we are just machines. A lot of this is sheer bunk of course, yet it has acquired a foothold in supposedly respected institutions.

I tend to the view that there has been a lot of irrationality and muddle-headed thinking in some areas of modern thought. For a while I think there was an expectation that with a greater knowledge of the sub-atomic particles which make up our physical world, sooner or later everything would be understood and explainable by science. It was an unrealistic expectation, consciousness remains as elusive as ever. I think nowadays the idea that consciousness is fundamental, rather than derived from matter, is becoming more accepted. It seems such a small step, but on the nature and reality of consciousness, much else depends, including the possibility of survival beyond death and indeed before birth.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  5. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Speedwell,

Agreed. I think it should also be pointed out that the fathers of modern science were almost uniformly men of faith as well as scientists. Isaac Newton, for example, was especially devout (though sometimes a bit eccentric in his beliefs). The modern divorce of science and religion is a relatively recent development. There was a subcurrent of extreme naturalism/materialism, but it did not really experience much growth until Darwinism really began to take hold in the public sphere in the first half of the 20th century, and only came to dominate the public perception of science and scientists in the second half of the 20th. I say "public perception" because it certainly is not and was never true of all scientists, including some I have known.

Cordially,
    S&S

Speedwell likes this.
  6. Speedwell

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    SeaAndSky likes this.
  7. Speedwell

SeaAndSky likes this.