Does anything in this life amaze you?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dark rosaleen, Sep 8, 2005.

1. dark rosaleen

dark rosaleen Senior Registered

Not the Martian lander-type stuff that would amaze almost anybody, but everyday things 21st century people take for granted.
    I've been in this life over thirty years, and little stuff still blows me away.
    Like grocery stores--I can't walk into one without amazement at the quantity and variety of food.
    And libraries. So many books! It's as if the concepts of abundance and choice are foreign to me.
    And just for some silliness, I still think paper towels are a wonderful invention.
    :thumbsup:
    Am I the only one, or does anybody else look at a commonplace item and think, "This is great!"?

2. Libellule

Libellule Iridescent Insect

I do that, too, sometimes. It's almost as if I'm seeing certain things through other people's eyes. Like your example, the grocery store: I'll think something like, "Wow... people in Africa would just be blown away by this." Know what I mean? It's like I see the amazing in the commonplace because I'm looking at it through a different lens... a lens other than that of a modern woman from an affluent part of the world. I don't know where that comes from, though...

Lib

3. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member Staff Member

The internet amazes me ....without it, I would still think I was nuts! :):)

4. Fab

Fab Senior Registered

I am amazed by a lot of things! :D

Garbage disposal!!! I've never seen one of those where i was born!
    Drive-thru banks!!! In my country you have to go inside the bank to pay your bills, make deposit, withdrawls...And get in the line! What a waste of time!
    You've got to love America! :D

So many things!!! I get amazed but small stuff too... Like a mirror... I love mirrors!!! :D
    Toilet paper, toothpaste, hair gel...

Cameras! It is increadible to me that you can take pictures of whatever and whoever you want and keep them for years and look at them later and remember that exact moment they were taken, etc... It really amazes me... Same thing with camcorders! Computers!

Airplanes!!! Think about it! That big piece of metal that holds hundreds of people in the air!

Food!!! People eat different kind of foods all over the world but if you thing about it, it is all the same but cooked in different ways...

That is just the beginning for me... I could spend hours typing everything that amazes me in life, from everyday things that we take for granted to big things that exist and we don't really pay attention to... :rolleyes:

Very interesting thread! :thumbsup:

5. Susie

Susie Dreamer-former moderator

Rosalean,

What a great thread! I am amazed by the volume of informtion out there on spirituality, information that was not available to us even ten or twenty years ago. I love weeding through bookstores and seeing who is just the "pop/new age" spiritual writer and which writers base their information on ancient texts and clinical work. I stay away from New Age writers as a rule, go more for those who study their subject thorugh and through.

Life itself is really an amazing thing!

6. Karoliina

Karoliina Moderator Emerita

I often start to think about how everything has started from a scracth. For example if I'm in the city centre in a café looking at people, buildings and everything. It gets almost too overwhelming to think about where did all this come from? Where did we get all the knowledge and skills?

And then I'll get sad of course.. Because we are destroying everything beautiful with this crazy consuming and polluting in the Western countries.

Karoliina

7. Chelle

Chelle Probationary

Something that amazes me is that despite how much the world around us changes and technology advances, people still remain the same. Both the good traits and the bad. :) The more things change the more they stay the same. ;)

8. curious_girl

curious_girl Curious Member

Intellectual, spiritual and emotional freedom.
    No more strict Victorian morality.
    Jipieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The Victorian times were so tight,
    so much was not done, so much was forbidden,
    you could only allow yourself some freedom
    if you decided not to fit in.
    I needed my freedom back then,
    I needed to travel, to rove about.
    But strangely enough the Victorian morality
    became a part of me.
    There was always doubt and guilt
    somewhere deep within.
    It was impossible to free my heart.

My past life self is still amazed.
    By all this freedom.
    Especially for women.
    Women rights were still an anarchistic thing
    in the 1890s :D

In this life I feel less ignorant than in my previous lives.
    I can finally expand my inner horizons.
    And I don't have to carry this burden of honor & guilt anymore.
    What a luck and what a relief.

Curious Girl.

9. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Babies amaze me! :D No matter how many newborns I see...I am fascinated by their perfection ;)

Flowers...from the first little bud, to the last withered petal...the transformation is beautiful.

The ocean! I grew up next to the ocean and could spend hours looking through the tidepools for starfish and crabs, digging for clams, hunting for seashells, sand dollars, sea glass and other treasures the sea gave up.

As for modern conventions...I suppose microwaves fascinate me...even though I've had one my whole life. It still surprises me how quickly you can make a roast...lol. Oh...and dishwashers...whoever thought that up was brilliant in my book ;)

Ailish

10. Denomar

Denomar Senior Registered

Music technology will never cease to amaze me...

Paramedics... What they do is amazing.

The relationship siblings have, twins more so. One minute you could be the worst of enemies, but a few weeks ago, my sister and I had an argument over something stupid like reading the newspaper that morning. Went to school and at break time when I heard she was being beaten up, I've never run so fast in my life. :rolleyes:

The sky. I like watching the clouds in the day and the stars at night.

11. Lemurian

Lemurian Senior Registered

Not too many things amaze me these days......

However just recently I was amazed by a sight that still floors me. I went to a local library recently (the area has some great ones too) when I saw a giant active very real WATERFALL inside the building. It was like 30-40 feet tall and was a great sight to see. I have never saw something like that inside a library before and it amazed me to no end. Gave me a even bigger love for libraries then I already have and for that I am thankful indeed......

Peace.......

12. Aaron

Aaron Senior Registered

Video games. To make something so interactive and exciting, to dive into a world of whatever it may be.....just gets to me. :thumbsup: I really love Nintendo.

13. nexus

nexus Senior Registered

I am also amazed by babies, especially since I have come to accept and understand the reality of reincarnation. I look at them in awe and respect for the awesome and dangerous task they have chosen to come back to!
    Being an adult, now.. I know that it is pretty impossible to escape pain in this life.
    I can even be flippping thru channels or turn a page.. and if I see a newborn or especially a birth.. I spontaneously cry from the enormity of it!
    When I look into their eyes..it is with great respect and I ask silently .. what do you still remember that I have forgotten? (that you will also soon forget?)

There is a true story (or urban legend) about that very question posed to an infant by her 4 year old brother.It is also the subject of a painting I did.

I am also amazed at the abundance of North American life and how easily we just discard perfectly good things when all around us there is poverty and tragedy. It amazes me that in such a "progressive"? (with a BIG question mark) world .. we have not been able or found the need to get a balance.

14. AuroraBelle22

AuroraBelle22 Member

I'm also amazed by babies, I feel the same way as Nexus. My older stepsister is expecting a baby in March and whenever I think of that baby I think of it as a soul reincarnating once again, and I wonder if it's someone I knew at one point, I wonder what his (they think it's a boy) life purpose is, etc. I always wonder what is going through infants minds, like how much they remember.
    Technology is so amazing as well. The internet, airplanes, the medical field, etc., there has been so much advancement. Another thing that never ceases to amaze me is the way in which nature is so detailed, and how everything works together. It's like it just can't be a coincidence, there must be a higher being that created it. My parents are doctors and they always say that the more they study the human body, the more sure they are that a higher being exists, and not that everything is just a coincidence.

15. chelbear

chelbear Senior Registered

my girls amaze me. what they say and do, how they interact, their imagination. everything.

even beyond that the sky and the clouds. do not ask me why, but the wonderment of looking at the sky during all types of weather is amazing, it can be peaceful, and calm, and nasty and intense. it can make you warm, or cold. i have had some intense emotional connections with the weather. and the stars at night. i remember when my uncle died many moons ago my granmother point to the sky and saying the brightest star was my uncle. i was maybe 7 years old, and that just amazed me.

the power of prayer amazes me, and even if you do not believe or pray just the positive thoughts you send to someone, they really make a difference. i could go on and on.

16. azgrl25

azgrl25 Senior Registered

I find that the universe itself amazes me. It's infinite, and to think something like that never ends - and if it does at some point, what is behind it? To think that there are millions of planets and stars, there is probably another earth somewhere out there with life on it just as we have here. I think about whether it is possible that if this earth ever ends, if we'll start over again with the dinosaurs on another earth somewhere else in the universe? You hear so much on what became of them, but what was before the dinosaurs and where did they evolve from?

The ocean! It's so huge and to think that there are still hundreds, possibly thousands of undiscovered marine life deep down where nobody has ever gone before or is unable to because it is too deep - is amazing to me.

Life itself, comparing the changes from prehistoric times to what it is now - and what it will be like in the future. From first carving into stone to the technology now, is mindblowing to me.

17. Spocket

Spocket Senior Registered

Babies amaze me too, but as for technology, I can't think of anything in particular that amazes me, other than "all of it." When I compare the present and the past, I tend to think of the present as "the future." Example: [thinking] "Here in the future, that no longer happens," as if I'm on Star Trek or something. And when I think about it, I'm glad to live in "the future." All that awful stuff that used to happen is mostly gone, at least here in the industrialized world. Some periods in history are interesting (e.g. the Renaissance), but outside of those periods, most of the past feels kind of suffocating (Victorian England comes to mind), if that makes any sense.

Wait, I thought of one thing that amazes me: space travel, and what we don't do with it. We can go to the moon, but we only sent people there from 1969 to 1972, and only 12 people in all of human history have walked on the moon. It's kind of sad when you think about it...I guess my feelings about it come from having lived in a time when the closest thing to the concept of space travel was "...the cow jumped over the moon..."

18. elese

elese Senior Registered

I totally spaced that it wasn't people that amaze... it's things...

WEll anyways... I'm amazed at a lot of things like cameras... I recently learned how they work and it blows my mind but makes so much sense... I'm also amazed at how complex everything is and how freakin obvious that reincarnation is taking place... Just Everything everyday... the internet... food... everything...

19. Alpha

Alpha beta

Oh, yes. When I try to imagine an infinite universe, I can't do it. And exactly what is the universe? There are galaxies, stars, planets, black holes... but what is it, really?
    Sometimes I think one would go insane if you'd keep thinking about those things. :p

20. Mysterysoul

Mysterysoul Senior Registered

My god..what do i like in this life,in this age you mean?
    not much to be honest!
    I like the nature,the animals ...photography , internet...thats about everything
    i would prefer living in the 30's or whatever, i never go out to danceplaces, and there is no much fun nowadays, i bet in the 20's - 30's or even 60's it was alot nicer to go out,i dont know
    nowadays, there is a big tension between people,more stress then before,
    cars (bleh)............
    all whats left from history i like *smiles*
    i like phylosophy and all the thinking and nowadays u cant find that much anymore :(