Does anything in this life amaze you?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dark rosaleen, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Lorbeer

Lorbeer New Member

What amazes me it´s when I went to a Roman Village museum I saw technology 2000 years old and I remember my grandfather still using it.
    So, at least in 2000 years the world didn't changed at all and look now what we have !!!!

But what really amazes me is that the human brain can learn how to use all those new things whithout effort and they say that is 1 million years old : angel :laugh:

2. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Friendship. My three closest friends I've known for 47 years. One of the wives I've only known 40 years.

Memories. If we nurture them, they can and do keep alive some of our most precious relationships.

Myself. How can anyone use the Internet but still be so out of touch with today's society.

Words. I strung them together for 50 years to make people laugh, cry, smile, and wonder. The ability to use words in that way astounds me no end.

John

3. vicky

vicky Senior Member

What amazes me is the love that i have for my son and how it is so different from any other love I've ever known. I feel an inexplicable closeness to him that feels like it trancends your regular parent-child relationship. I feel like we planned to be together in this lifetime and that this life would be one of spiritual discovery for both of us.

4. Kalyiel

Kalyiel New Member

Well, since I was born until now, I've been having moments when I look around, at the sky, at the streets, even at the grey blocks and shabby buses and when I think "How wonderful! The world is beautiful!". I don't know why I do this and I don't know why even dreadful places impress me. But when it happens, I get a really good feeling, of peace and satisfaction.

5. Artzab

Artzab AS2

I'm amazed that scientists have been able to mend wounds, cure colds, flus and are on their way to finding a cure for cancers and diseases someday. But, they still haven't been totally able to give a clear, concise, true explanation for the existence of consciousness. Hence, quantum physics. I think just plain life is amazing.

6. McDebra

McDebra New Member

I guess I take too many things for granted. But sometimes what I take for granted and no one else shares the same philosophy - that amazes me. Like when I found out that pre-existence is not a regular belief in my church I had been a member of for years. Pre-existence is a belief I've always had. I had never been taught that, it as just something I just KNEW. Finding out others did not know this too was like being told we were not human!

7. elese

elese Senior Registered

recent amazement: how history repeats itself. of course, I guess I've always known that and that's partially why I think that reincarnation is so true, but I mean, we've been studying it in a class and by golly, I never realized how bad it was! Oh, and the fact that I feel unconnected from the person I was a year ago (I feel like that was me venturing off the 'trail' :eek: ), and how I pretty much feel like I'm continuing on from two years ago.

8. zetascair20086

zetascair20086 New Member

Avatar:My last life Jill Montgomery in 1982
    I agree. It seems like we can never break the cycle. As soon as the generation that made the mistakes dies the next generation repeats them with increased fury. It makes me wonder, are we really learning, or just chasing our tails? It appears as though something is just fundamentally unchanging in human nature. Maybe it just happens so slow that change can only be noticed over the course of thousands of years such that no noticeable major changes have occurred during the short span of present recorded history.

9. star rover

star rover Senior Registered

That could as well have been me speaking! I'm absolutely fascinated by the age and technology of space exploration in general, and of manned space travel and space colonization in particular!

At the same time I feel a strange and sad kind of nostalgia when I read modern science fiction classics as Arthur C Clarke's 2001 - A Space Odessy, where we have at "present time" both Lunar and Martian bases and colonies and are on our way out to Jupiter and beyond - like *sigh* "It was supposed to be like that by now"....

To a second degree I'm fascinated by the advancement and potential social usefulness of advanced technology in general - even *gasp* of nuclear power (before I get shot down in flames: I realize that nuclear power energy in it's present form, and in the contemporary kind of socities we have, is far too risky to be thrustworthy, but that mean it always have to be that way in the future : angel )

I guess I'm a kind of critical technophile who envisions a future environmentally sustainable, socially stable high tech global society that extends itself out into space. A truly classless and stateless society where humanity is free to raom both outer and inner space, at last free from the shackles of resource scarcity, poverty, wars and similar idiocies!

I don't think it's completelly too late for such a thing yet to come into being - if not in my present lifetime, so maybe some time during my nextcoming lifetimes!... :thumbsup:

(End of speech - climbing down from soap-box) :rolleyes:

Yours Sincerely, Star Rover

10. dark rosaleen

dark rosaleen Senior Registered

The power of love is amazing. When I think about it, how many people do I love right now? And I can still feel love for people I knew a thousand years ago. On this forum, I read about souls who sought each other out, sometimes through millennia, for love.
    The human race may have held onto its hatreds and pettinesses, but in spite of that, we've held onto kindness and joy, too. It's amazing that we do that.

11. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

You're right -- that is a pretty amazing thing. Sometimes it seems like such a rare thing -- but if you really look at the world around you, people perform random acts of kindness all the time. That gives me hope for a peaceful world -- one day.

Love truly is amazing -- it is the root of compassion, forgiveness and joy.

Thinking about what you've posted -- about how many souls we've loved throughout our lifetimes, is simply a beautiful thought that makes me smile. :thumbsup:

Ailish

12. HealingHands

HealingHands New Member

I had a strange experience in my car several years ago.

I was heading home from work one day. I was driving on a long, secluded paved road so I had my cruise control set. I must have been in a daze or a semi unconscious state when suddenly I didn't recognize where I was or what I was moving in. Everything seemed so different as if it was a different time. I didn’t recognize the paved road or the style of house I was passing by. I didn’t know how to make the moving box stop since there was nothing pulling it. I started to panic until this feeling started to fade and I realized where I was again. The episode must've lasted all of 8 seconds. At the time I thought I may have been dreaming or had some type of temporary amnesia, but now I think I may have tapped into the mind of a past persona.

13. tiltjlp

tiltjlp A Recycled Soul

Life itself and reincarnation amaze me. Even difficult lives contain endless moments of happiness and joy. And out journey or reincarnation, where we are able to grow both personally and spiritually, that seems so fantastic to me. For those reasons and more, I decided to revive this thread so our newer members could enjoy reading it, and add their own comments.

John

14. Tomi

Tomi New Member

I'm amazed by...

...the fact that one moment can change your life forever.

How a singular event can influence all other events in your life and one moment your life can be one way and the next everything is different.

How things happen when you least expect them. Like the death of a loved one or a turn of good fortune.

15. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

That's a huge one, isn't it Tomi? If you sit and really think about it -- it IS amazing.

Seasons changing -- amazes me. I was sitting, bemoaning the coming of winter last night. This morning when I woke up -- I looked outside and the morning light was just peeking over the top of the trees -- all vibrant and multi-colored, the leaves getting ready to fall from the trees. It was breathtaking -- and absolutely magical. :D

16. MoonDansyr

MoonDansyr Senior Registered

Ailish - such a cute avatar!

If I repeat what anyone else says, I'm sorry, but I truly wanted to responded without sway from other's comments, so I'm responding first and then going back to read.

What amazes me...

Our planet, which is virtually a spec of dust in the universe, but look at what life has blossomed ... repeatedly ... on this one tiny rock.

The moon. Imagine what this planet would be without the moon! It controls the tides and I'll swear that hospitals get chaotic during full moons, as I used to work in a hospital.

The same is true for the sun.

Nature. Wow! Sometimes you see life growing in the most desolate of areas and that truly amazes me. But it is also amazing in a general sense: the way plants and animals have adapted to live and survive seasons.

Humans amaze me on many, many levels! There's this constant drive to "divide and conquer that I don't understand, but it has existed since the dawn of time. If it isn't about religion or race, it's about other things. Why? Because when the going gets rough, it seems like man eventually bonds together regardless of differences that once mattered.

Music amazes me. Sometimes a certain chord or combination of notes or chords will evoke intense emotions for reasons completely and utterly beyond my understanding.

I'm sure there are more, but that's the start of it that came to mind quickly.

17. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

What amazes me, there are many things. Technology amazes me, especially in the communication department, which has come such a long way in the last ten years, cellphones, text messaging, the internet. Who would have thought just 15 years ago that you can now sit in front of your computer and see, hear and talk to someone else over on the other side of the world?

Nature amazes me, reproduction, the way all life adapts to its surroundings, a moth that can blend in by looking like a leaf, or an insect that can mimic a twig. A plant that can catch a fly. A fish that can glow in the dark...amazing!

The heavens amaze me, i've been moved to tears watching a solar eclipse, the northern lights (my lifelong ambition), a comet, looking in a telescope lens and seeing a whole galaxy or the rings around Saturn with my own eyes....amazing!!

People amaze me, love, walking to the shops hand in hand with a tot to buy sweets, hugging a loved one, helping an old lady cross the street, a smile from a stranger, people that risk their lives to help others, doctors, nurses, the emergency services....all amazing!

Among many others, these are just a few of the things that amaze me...:)

18. nexus

nexus Senior Registered

The LITTLE things

Yes.. technology is amazing, but I am still amazed by the absolute brilliance of nature that is so often overlooked by humans immersed in the wonder of new and better things.
    For instance, I will never forget the sight of a dew covered flowering plant whose flowers were just opening at dawn to reveal a beautiful butterfly asleep inside the petals of each flower.
    Like the rainbow in the mist across a country road just evaporating in the sun after a downpour; the miniscule movements of an ant as he appears to clean his antennae or the mass movement of ants focussed on a shared task but pausing to communicate with others on their path, or removing the dead ones;The delicate, beautiful and strong spider web and how precise its occupant is in using it as a hunting tool... etc.. etc.. You get my drift.

There are so many wonders under our noses that have been there all along to see and enjoy for free that go largely unnoticed.

AND I am amazed that people will not see these as treasures signifying wisdom that is there for us to depend on and learn from ,that we are an intricate part of these "insignificant" everyday wonders .

I am amazed that all these wonders,natural and technological, and much of humanity could disappear along with nature as we know it if we concentrate (I do not say eliminate)our wonder and amazement on creating and owning every new invention and bauble at the expense of our very lives.

Sadly, and negatively,I am sorry to say, I am truly surprised at the short sightedness , if not selfishness, of so many towards the future of life in ours and coming generations!

So many people have said to me."Well, it won't happen to me!"!! If they only knew!!.. which leads me to wonder at the patience and mercy of the universe that we can still relearn these lessons.

By the way.. I do appreciate all of you who do see both sides of the coin, Chris , for instance. It is just that I was hit hard over Christmas by so many who are not tuned this way.

19. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

HI Nexus.......Merry Christmas. :)

Have you heard of the DVD and book titled The Secret? I just started reading it...it is amazing. It is about consciousness creating - and instead of focusing on what we don't want - focus on abundance - a positive outcome. For example - if a person is against war - and they are always focused on being against it- it only brings it closer to them and fuels the fire. Same with the planet - perhaps. : angel I was thinking of starting a new thread about positive thinking, for positive outcomes in life times to come.

Maybe soon. I wish you well in the New Year.

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Forgot to play nice

That is so right. Fighting against war just makes no sense to me, because you are still putting your energy into conflict.

By the time things have gotten to the point where the Pentagon announces that we've sent troops into combat, about all you can do is protest loudly. You are not going to stop the juggernaut of war, any more than the protesters in Tienamen square could stop the tanks with their bodies.

Putting all of that energy into the positive and focusing on peace, might just help prevent things from getting to that point. Or at least it will help people to be less angry about something they have no control over.

Phoenix