Does anything in this life amaze you?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dark rosaleen, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jennieswan

jennieswan New Member

Some of the animal kingdom are amazing like how they can travel thousands of miles to lay their eggs or how they can find their way home.
    The human spirit is amazing. Look at how some people survive hell on earth and can still live, smile and be good to others.
    The human mind is also amazing.

2. Eldareus

Eldareus New Member

I would say the cycle of life is pretty darn amazing. As a father of two young children I am just amazed how they from simple babies grow, develope, adapt to their environments, learn to communicate, and learn to manipulate objects and thier environments. I mean one day they are babbling nonsense then each day they start building a vocabulary, form simple sentences, to forming complex sentences, to finally talking your ears off. Just totally fascinating. Then on other end spectrum watching my parents gradually deteriorate over time ( which is a sad process to watch ). Yet when you view the big picture as whole, all life goes through this process of birth, blossom, wither, death. There has to be some meaning to this process other than just existence or base survival. It's a process that is repeated even within the universe such as the birth, life, and eventual death of stars.

3. Kumoyo

Kumoyo New Member

what amazes me...

Hie all!

I am not sure if this counts, but what really amazes me is the ARVs and what new hope they are bringing to millions of Africans, especially in my country Zambia.

To think that people who died of AIDS only 10 years ago could have had a chance now just blows me away. I have seen people recover in just a few months...this awes me...i think there is hope!

4. vicky

vicky Senior Member

I think what amazes me most is the human desire for connectedness. To be connected with other people, family, friends. How in our busy world, love and the people we share it with is really the only meaningful interaction.

ChrisR, I see technology as a response to that. We are busier, our lives are more complicated by traffic etc so the most intelligent inventors among us develop technology to keep us connected. Cell phones for example. There are many days that I would get to speak far less to my husband without it. Computers, e-mail. Now I hear there is a tv screen that you can put in your home and in the home of someone like your aging parents where you can have dinner together. They can see and hear you and you them.

We get sidetracked with busy careers etc but I really think this is what everyone is searching for. I think the greatest lessons we learn, the kind of lessons that span several lifetimes, come from interactions with those we share intense feelings with.

Vicky

5. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Kumoyo -- I watched a documentary on the ARV program in Africa not too long ago. It's wonderful what they are doing -- with the clinics -- and the special deliveries they make to remote villages on motorcycles. In that way -- technology certainly has been beneficial in saving many lives :)

Another thing I found amazing about the documentary -- was that despite all of the hardships -- the sense of love and community was strong between the people. :thumbsup:

Ailish

6. chrystalpaths

chrystalpaths chrystalpaths

Amazing....seeing my grandson the moment he was born from my daughter who was never to be born. I feel he is destined for something very special and I hope I'm alive to see it this life and if not perhaps in the next.

Amazing....how a womanwho never had an independent thought and lived by other's leave...changed to someone else in 3 short years into who she used to have dreams about being.

Amazing....I can use a computer! I can learn and explore and make friends who I may never meet but treasure just the same.

7. Quintessence

Quintessence No One

Me. Nature.
    How love transcends death.
    Synchronicities and coincidences still amaze me...

8. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

Yes, it is a great thread. I agree with all the things - life in general is amazing!

Something that brought tears to my eyes just yesterday was seeing a trailer for an Iranian movie about the relationship between a mother and her daughter. No matter where in the world you are born, if you're rich or poor, there is an unbreakable love between people. I thought: why do we have to fight each other all the time when we're all the same? That realization of universal love was amazing.

On a completely different note, my new computer has bluetooth and that doesn't cease to amaze me neither. As for the internet and even telephones. Sometimes I just think: wow. :D

9. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

Strangely enough, I had just come from this link before I read this thread: http://dwaparayuga.com/2009/02/dwapara-yuga-pace-of-change.html

Weird, huh? They're two pictures of the same location, 30 years apart ... and the modern photo looks like a cross between an old futuristic Woody Allen film and Orwell's 1984 ... kind of scary ...:eek:

What amazes me is that so many people still think they can solve their problems by waging war on each other. We have so much technological power and so many on this planet live in an artificial, perpetual state of lack. It's got to change, and I feel it will very, very soon.

10. niamh

niamh Senior Registered

Just a little thing - language amazes me. Especially when I think about how we just learn it naturally. It seems so simple on the surface. This particular sound means this particular thing. This other sound means this other thing. But when you really think about how our brains work and how they understand language . . . wow. And then when you add written language and body language and sound language into the mix . . . more wow.

11. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

Jody

I think the first picture of the 70s is so much prettier and lighter... The picture now is dark and gloomy...

.. I hope the bright days return soon.. I could do with less media input ==Neither I nor my friends owned a TV until the 80s and I felt alot lighter in the 70s . === I think I will go and unplug my TV for the day. ...

soulfreindly

12. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Pregnancy amazes me. It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that your body just knows what to do, and then does it, with no conscious thought required.

13. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

Blueheart, I agree. I was meaning to post awhile back that the whole concept of these tiny little cells turning into a real person is absolutely amazing to me!

I find myself looking at my youngest son, who's almost 3, quite often and just marveling how those two little chromosomes (or whatever it was - science not my strong point LOL) turned into this actual PERSON with his own hair and eye color, likes and dislikes, ability to draw and sense of humor. It's amazing!

14. wrinkle

wrinkle New Member

I second and third pregnancy and conception as well. Absolutely amazing.

Niamh, I see your point about language, the complexity of it and indeed beauty. However, for me neither of the two languages that I know are precise enough to express my thoughts exactly. It's kind of quirky thing that I struggle with. I would really like if we could all communicate telepathically. :eek: : angel

Stardis, yes, our Sun and gazillions of other stars out there. :)

15. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

THose penguins in the antarctic , THe March of the Penguins movie ..

THe penguins who walk 100 miles to their nesting spot and I believe they have never been there before. . And then they walk back and forth a few times to get food. THe young penguins who have never even seen anything but their place of birth then they walk miles to the water and jump in.. The males who spend all of the four months huddled together in 40 plus below zero weather , holding onto their eggs... The mothers who return and can figure out who their mate is by the sound of their voice.

All very amazing.. Make sure you see the movie... in wide screen is even nicer..

soulfreindly

16. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

The things that are available to today absolutely blow my mind. After a while we take them for granted. For one thing, it wasn't that long ago if you wanted something to eat you had to go out and pick it or shoot it. Now, you walk into a store like Walmart and everything you could ever need (and a lot of stuff you don't) is right there.

Another thing is we live in a world of endless opportunity. It used to be wherever your life began was pretty much where it would end. If you were born poor, you'd die poor. That not true anymore. There are no shortage of stories of people who started with nothing and ended up being big successes.

Finally, I love to learn. I'm a sponge for knowledge. We live in the information age. Everything you could ever want to know is at your fingertips. I love walking into a Barnes & Noble store and its filled books on every topic imaginable. Then of course there's the internet. What an amazing tool! It brought us all together. You can communicate with people all over the world anytime you want. Pretty cool when you stop to think about it.

17. kmatjhwy

kmatjhwy Senior Member Staff Member

First would like to say is that to me Life is soooo amazing, just soooo Fabulous! It is always such a blessing it seems to me in just being able to experience another day in life with so much that life offers.

Nature to me is soooo amazing rather from the smallest microbes to the such intricate flowers to the largest whales.

The Planet Earth, our 'Home', and all the natural processes with this planet we live on just amazes me also.

The Universe we live in. People.

But also Bears with espicelly Grizzlies really amazes me. I have spent hours watching Grizzlies which are such wonderful and intelligent creatures.

Guess just for Starters ... Life is Great!

18. starchild

starchild Senior Registered

Life amazes me.

why are we here? how did we get here? who was the first person to be here and how did it happen?

space = other planets that may have life like ours - or different - are they human? do they look like aliens? animals?

I was wondering the other day - if there is intelligent life on other planets, do they have the same name for our planet - earth?

what about the clouds? what is their significance?

and then I get overwhelmed and wonder why are we here? what is the purpose of our being?

I'm just amazed and it fills me up

19. ThirdEye

ThirdEye New Member

human faces amaze me. The fact that there are billions of people in the world and each one has a distinct face amazes me everyday. even identical twins have some feature that is distinct between them. Sometimes when i'm in public i'll just stare at all the different faces around me and wonder how each one of them is so different! blows my mind!!e!e

20. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Staff Member Super Moderator

I think you only have to step outside on a dark, clear, moonless night and look up, and just take it all in to be amazed, as I have just done and it was like I had an epiphany! As you strain to look at the Andromeda Galaxy, which is the furthest object visible to the naked eye at a mere 2.5 million light years distance, it is considered by astronomers to be our 'neighbour'! Then a bit closer to home you look up and see the Milky Way spanning the entire sky from east to west, the Milky Way is just one of the 'arms' of our own spiral galaxy which, like the Andromeda Galaxy, is just a droplet in the ocean that is our universe. I think that to go out and look up at the Milky Way is a great example to get a tangible view of the immense size, not just of our own galaxy, but the whole universe. It certainly puts a few things here on Earth into perspective. To be able to step out into your own backyard and take all that in, it's not just amazing .... it's mind blowing! :cool