Does anything in this life amaze you?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by dark rosaleen, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

:thumbsup:mad:Chris

I definitely agree. The universe is incredibly amazing. When I was in South Africa we lived on a lodge far from any towns, so there was no 'light pollution'. It was absolutely mind-blowing. We are sooo small.

2. Ariannel

Ariannel New Member

I am amazed at plumbing. Getting access to water for our various tasks is amazing to me. We don't have to go to the creek or draw water from a well to cook or take baths. Toilets and hot showers, in particular, are a truly a comfort!

I'm also amazed at how quickly we can communicate with people around the world. Email, cell phones, internet forums, chat rooms, online video games, etc. Even 20 years ago we couldn't communicate this easily! I can talk to someone in Japan or the UK and it's as if there is no distance at all. Truly amazing.

What also amazes me is the rate at which technology is progressing. I look and think about the technological difference between the 1700's and 1800's (not much for the most part) and then the difference between the 1800's and the 1900's and it's staggaring! Now in the 21st century, it's even going to be more amazing.

It's so exciting to me to be living in this day and age. Even more exciting is the thought of living in another life sometime in the distant future! What will life be like? What will I see and experience then that I can't possibly comprehend now? It boggles my mind.

3. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Welcome Ariannel! :)

These are all great points. I too love the fact that we can have instant communication we people all over the world. Sometimes on this forum I forget how spread out we all are. Some of us are seperated by thousands of miles, yet it almost feels like we're gathered together having a conversation.

Something I've thought about is how crazy cell phones have gotten. They have so many capabilities now (text, email, internet, camera, exc.) the fact that its meant to call someone with has become an afterthought. People have become so dependant on them its almost scary.

4. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I completely agree with you too, Ariannel! :)

I agree :) I never leave without mine. Another thing that I'm terribly dependant on is the internet - if it breaks down I feel completely lost, almost as if I'm stuck on a desert island. I didn't even grow up in a home with internet and my parents didn't get a computer until I was 15 (late 90's) and yet I couldn't possibly live without the internet and my computer.

My great-grandfather was born in 1885 and died in 1980. I've always been very fascinated by the thought of the world he grew up in. When he was a boy there were no phones, no cars, no aviation, no fridges, no tv's, no electricity, no coffee machines. When he died in 1980 it must have been a strange world to him in so many ways. His head would probably have exploded if he knew the stuff his great-granddaughter can't live without today :D : angel

5. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

Ah yes, I remember life before the internet, but I can't imagine living without it. A couple months ago I had a day where my internet connection wasn't working. That was not a happy day for me. : angel

6. Ginger_Mandrake

Ginger_Mandrake Ever Confused

I am less amazed by technology and more amazed by personal experience, especially of such things as the interconnectedness of everything, and the moments in which we connect deeply with one another, sharing love. I think that this is because I grew up with technology all around me, but not much connection :)

I'm also mesmerized by the sound of wind blowing through trees and the sight of falling autumn leaves, or the sky when it is so clear and blue that I feel like I'm dreaming. I'm very thankful that I have found appreciation in things so readily available, instead of craving for more material things.

I'm also amazed by how incredible people are. I've met some truly magical people who have filled my life with more joy and broken open my protective shell.