Dreams with people you don’t know?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Kenz1010, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kenz1010

Kenz1010 Senior Registered

I think there’s ways you can learn to control your dreams? Pretty sure I read that somewhere but I’m not 100% sure if it’s true.

And yes, it’s highly irritating. I feel like what he said was probably important/ something that’d be nice to remember.

2. SundayAtDuskReturns

SundayAtDuskReturns Active Member

There are supposedly ways to control your dreams, but I'm afraid all my attempts to do so have resulted in failure . . . with the exception that I can stop remembering my dreams if I "announce" I no longer wish to do so . . . or if I "announce" someone had better stop showing up in my dreams! :mad:

Do you or anyone have a dream journal by your bed or record your dreams some other way immediately after waking up?

3. Kenz1010

I don’t write my dreams down all the time, but I did with this one. My dreams usually slip my mind very quickly once I wake up, so I think it was good that I wrote down everything I remembered with this one. I think I’m going to try and write them down more often, have you tried it?

4. SundayAtDuskReturns

Oh, I kept dream journals for decades, until my dreams went stuid. By that I mean they stopped being interesting and intelligent and became simple-minded and parochial. I use to joke that I had really intelligent dream fairies at one time that were eventually replaced by idiot dream fairies. That's why I seem :mad: at times when talking about dreams. Dreams were the one metaphysical thing I stuck with over the years. I saw them as spiritual . . . not all of them, of course . . . something that would only get more enlightening, not become a waste of time. But the problem might have to do with age. Once you hit your forties, your deep sleep time is drastically reduced and just keeps getting less and less. I'm guessing all really interesting dreams, like the one you described in the beginning of this thread, occur during the deepest sleep period. Keeping a dream journal does drastically help you remember dreams, though. The more attention you give to a dream journal, the more dreams you will remember. At least before you hit middle-age . . . .

5. Kenz1010

What do you think has changed in your life that has affected your dreams? Just as time has passed they’ve seemed to become less eventful? And have you had it where you wake up multiple times but the dream just continues once you drift back to sleep? That’s exactly what happened with the dream I mentioned here.

6. Thyme&Bay

Thyme&Bay Member

I’m not sure exactly where the line is between dreams and astral travel in the dream state. I’m not remembering my dreams in the last while, but I’ve definitely gone through periods where I have a lot of conversations with people while I’m sleeping. Or even attending teachings—like one dream where I sat in on a teaching by a Buddhist master, perhaps Japanese, can’t really remember.

7. SundayAtDuskReturns

I don't think anything changed in my waking life that affected my dreams, since my waking life has never been that eventful to begin with. :) And, of course, many dreams are just mundane everyday stuff being rehashed. Nevertheless, all the dreams I had simply became less interesting and less intelligent. Due to the fact I could detect they were less intelligent made me not fear my own intelligence level was slipping, but that the dreams were slipping. Or maybe it is just the fact if you get less deep sleep, you get less interesting dreams. Maybe it's all biological; but that is a disappointment to me, since I always saw dreams as being metaphysical. That reminds me, during the last few months I have been taking melatonin before going to sleep, and that does help you to remember dreams, because it makes them more vivid. Thus, maybe the fact your body creates less melatonin as you age is a factor in having less interesting dreams, particularly longer ones.

Yes, I use to often have dreams where I slipped back into them as you described. That's why back when I had nightmares in my 20s, I often would get up for a while after a bad dream, so I would not slip back into it. That obviously was an important dream that you had, Kenz1010. Or maybe it was actually astral traveling, as Thyme&Bay has brought up. The dreams I miss the most were the ones I use to have where I met up with someone I knew . . . although not in this lifetime . . . and was so happy to see them and spend time with them. Maybe that was astral traveling. Thyme&Bay, teacher type dreams/astral traveling are indeed special, although mine would be limited to western type teachers, as opposed to eastern ones. Do you have a lot of those type of dreams?

Thyme&Bay likes this.
  8. Thyme&Bay

Thyme&Bay Member

I wouldn’t say a lot. I’m not remembering dreams much these days. It tends to go in cycles. If I remember anything of a dream, probably at least 50% are conversation dreams. I was with a spiritual teacher for a bunch of years so many of my dreams included the teacher. As I’ve fallen away from that person, my dreamscape is more varied, tends to be a mix of Asian and Western.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. yvettebruneau

yvettebruneau Senior Member

I had vivid recurring dreams, but I don't know if they were ever related to my past life. Obviously, I don't remember them now, and I didn't write any of them down. I don't write down my dreams. But, I was also younger back then, a kid, and so I had no knowledge of dream meanings. If I had the wherewithal to write them down back then, I could look back on them now and try to decipher them. But, then, it wasn't until about a year or two ago, when the idea of reincarnation and past lives reached me.

Perhaps, like me and my dream visitor, you'll find out who he was soon.

10. Kenz1010

Could have been? I’ve read a little bit about astral projection but I don’t fully understand it.

11. glia21

glia21 Senior Member

I kept a journal for some time but then let it go. The meaningful dreams are remembered anyhow.
    As a young child I had lots of lessons. Then they either gave up on me - lol - or it's the usual way. I haven't had many lessons since or don't remember them??!
    What I did learn stayed with me all these years, mostly about the nature of time (no past - no future - but all happening at once -- the concept was very detailed - Its a pity I don't remember everything ).

I also got experiences:
    What its like to have a tumor at the neck- I experienced the development of it and all feelings along.

The experience of being just in the middle of your lifetime being 45 years old( I was only 9 years or so at this time).

Many more.

There is also a town I use to visit often - the name of it is something similar to teneriffa. I've been to the real island of teneriffa and it has nothing to do with my dream town.
    I think the dream town has been built by the thoughts of others and that I'm only visiting.
    All these things sound a bit bizarre.
    I couldnt tell anyone in real life. :rolleyes:

Kenz1010 likes this.
  12. Kenz1010

All this dream talk has jogged my memory a bit. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this before, but I used to have bad nightmares when I was younger (probably somewhere around 5 years old). According to my parents, I’d run into their room a lot of the time, would be scared out of my mind and would cry if they told me to go back in my room. Not sure what the dreams were about, don’t know why I was all freaked out.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018