1. hoping4change

hoping4change Registered

I saw a commercial during "Ancient Aliens," on A&E, about "finding your past lives." It was very generic, as if they were selling something. I looked up the website advertised and realized this was an actual religion, that is based on the light and sound of God, where members believe in past lives, soul travel, etc. It made me feel kind of uncomfortable. Maybe because I prefer to view my beliefs as more of a Science, or Metaphysics, than a religion. As always, I had to look for sites objecting to Eckankar and read statements from past followers, who referred to the religion as more of a cult. Once you join, you must stay, or the result could be eternal damnation. I don't like Eckanakar's use of punishment & control. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I'm interested in hearing how others feel regarding the commercial, religion, beliefs, etc. I did not know this faith existed, and I'm interested in others feelings on the matter, good or bad.

2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

I know someone who belongs to Eckankar. I've never gone to it but I don't think it's as bad as same claim. I suspect that Eck members probably knew each other in past lives. It's a way for them to reconnect. Just like some of us here have know each other before.

tanguerra likes this.
  3. Sarellah

Sarellah Senior Registered

I've heard of the religion but not of the eternal damnation part; thanks for informing us.

4. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I knew a member, and most of her beliefs were like mine. She gave me books to read, but I thought they were simplistic. I didn't know about the damnation - it wasn't mentioned in the books. I think the founder was a man named Paul Twitchell. My friend did practice OBEs, and we discussed our mutual belief in reincarnation.

5. Sister Grey

Sister Grey Senior Registered

I've read a bit about them, and I think I knew a guy way back who might have been a member. My impression was that they're harmless, but I imagine the fundamentalists wouldn't be too fond of them.

6. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I once went to a meeting and while friendly and open, there were still rules and a sort of dogma which put me off. I had one man pull me aside and tell me my methods and rationale were ineffective and unhelpful, so I thanked him and promptly forgot about it. It is a religion and has all the hallmarks of man-directed rituals and a supposed "right way of doing it", which has never worked for me.

7. Misty8723

Misty8723 Senior Registered

When I was a teenager, I came across a book on Eckankar. I found it interesting, and it actually the first time I had heard the term "astral projection." A lightbulb went off because I had had an out of body experience but had no idea what it was. However, I don't like the religion aspect of it and would never get involved. I prefer to maintain my beliefs without the dogma.

8. Twilight

Twilight Senior Registered

Interesting, it seems like you guys have introduced me to this religion although I've only been exposed to Catholicism and Methodist religious septs. ^_^

9. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying...this wasn't so much an introduction to a religion but rather a view into our impressions of one. Please understand these are our opinions and you must make up your own mind...I would suggest investigating Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism before eckankar simply because of the established aspect of them and the potential for more likely participants who can provide greater understanding of them.

10. Twilight

Twilight Senior Registered

I find the concept quite interesting in all despite never hearing about this sept, don't get me wrong. However I'd prefer Catholicism in the heat of them all. It's fun learning new spiritualities :D

11. TMarie33

TMarie33 Registered

A really nice woman who was a customer at my last job brought me in a bunch of Eckankar books, it was kind of confusing because they all seemed to start in the middle of the whole story. She was such a nice woman though with the most peaceful energy, one day she could tell I was not feeling too good through the "retail smile" and did the sound of god with me (Hu) and the vibration of it was very calming, it had a soothing tone. She invited me to the meetings but I never went as I am a lone wolf. ;) Very lovely people though, I agree with the soul group thing and wondered if I knew her before because I felt a strange tingly warming in my solar plexus area when she she was leaving and we hugged, a familiarity.

12. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Yes, it's possible you knew her before. Most of the people you know now you have known before. After a while you get so you can sense it when you meet someone. BTW, many of us here in the forum have discovered past life connections with other forum members. It's like at some level we agreed to meet here. Thank God for the Internet. wine**

13. TMarie33

TMarie33 Registered

I love that idea! Most definitely I have had that "Well hello again!" feeling....it just validates all these new experiences in a whole new a way. :)

14. WS12

WS12 Registered

Balanced View

Eckankar is not for everyone but my experience with it has been positive. Everyone is welcome to attend as long as they like but there is no pressure for membership.

15. rjmarzano

rjmarzano rjmarzano

I've seen those TV commercials also.

To be honest it gave me the creeps like it's a cult. I guess because of Scientology I'm very leery of those 'new age' types of organizations.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but on the other hand it may be advisable to just be cautious.

16. WS12

WS12 Registered

Eckankar is a great spiritual path. They have many exercises to try and the path is an unfolding one and not constricted to the teachings of only one teacher years ago.