Exploring the afterlife from a "philosophical" perspective.

Discussion in 'Reincarnation, Religion and Spirituality' started by Native Son, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Native Son

Native Son Member

If there is an afterlife, the typical & most frequently asked question is, "Where do we go after death? The various places that have been mentioned throughout history are usually a sort of Heaven and Hell. In the middle ages, the Italian poet, Dante Alighieri, added Purgatory. In his major work, The Divine Comedy, Dante gave the world a masterpiece of a poetical nature, while also inventing the base for the modern Italian language. But also, Dante gave a most descriptive account of the afterlife that seemed visionary. Perhaps Dante was only giving us his account of an NDE which he may have had, although he never mentions it. And using his talents as a very gifted poet and writer, gave us, using only words, what may be the most detailed account of the journey of the souls after they leave the body upon death.

Most modern accounts of NDE or ODE fall short in describing hell, or purgatory and these accounts are seldom negative, as heavenly lights and heavenly beings are encountered, and described as peaceful, warm, and loving. I have read a few accounts, just a handful really, of NDE or OBE describing something other than a heavenly environment. I have personally experienced an OBE which was not heavenly at all, to say the least. And I was wondering how many here feel about it, or if anyone has had an NDE or OBE of the same nature.

Philosophically, man has always contemplated the afterlife as having both a positive and negative side. Using an excerpt from Plato's Republic, it shows how civilized man has looked upon this subject from way back when.

2. Native Son

Native Son Member

Excerpt from Plato's Phaedo.

3. Shawn T Murphy

Shawn T Murphy Member

Most people juts think about a binary Heaven and Hell, but if you closely at Socrates, you find a continuum from the darkest dark to the lightest light. Where you end up in and NDE or OBE or after this life depends on your individual level of enlightenment. This is why individual reports are so varied. Without knowing the charter of the person, their experience is irrelevant. My trilogy has many references in it to support this, but the third book addresses the philosophical view of the ethereal world called Torn Between Two Worlds: Material and Ethereal