Fascination with the Middle Ages and Medieval times

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by monkeysorcerer, Sep 30, 2014.

1. monkeysorcerer

monkeysorcerer New Member

This is my first time posting on this forum, and am quite new to it. Great to see so much interest in what we all seem to feel is a very common feeling.

Ever since I was very young (but especially so), I have been deeply fascinated with the middle ages. Specifically images of knights and knighthood, castles, lush green hills and the sound of the music. I'm a hobbyist musician and have always gravitated to the sounds of medieval music, and melodies.

I've never really understood why, though these images would come up more in meditations and dreams, as if they were sitting under 'the surface,' so to speak.

It also seems like many other people are deeply affected by the time period, and have experiences of past lives from this time. Depending on how long you consider the time period, it really does cover quite a lot of ground- but I'm interested in why for me, and so many others, it seems to be what is uncovered more than any other time and/or place.

I suppose this may be more of a question than a comment, but I'm really interested in what people have to say!

Babe and ChristineL like this.
  2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Welcome to the group. :) I think this was probably an important past life for you.

3. tanguerra

tanguerra Senior Registered

Hi monkeysorcerer

Welcome to the forum.

It's hard to say why one life more than another might be the one that you 'gravitate' to. The reasons are usually individual. It could be that it was a particularly happy or interesting life. It could be that something is reminding you of it, for instance, someone in your current life is also from that life. It could be that there are some other similarities going on in this life and that one, for instance, music might be a common theme?

What sort of things have you recalled? What scenes or incidents are these that are 'just below the surface'? That might help make some sense of it perhaps?

4. monkeysorcerer

Thanks for the quick replies!

I seem to recall specific images- knights and castles, cloudy skies, lush green fields, beaten down paths from people and horse carriages. This is mostly through meditation, though other things feel very 'similar' in an eerie way- like certain songs and melodies from medieval times, and certain images.

I have European heritage, and have wondered too if there was some sort of 'genetic past lives' we re-encounter by somehow inheriting the thoughts and experiences of our ancestors... Is this something others have experienced or written about? I've always found this whole experience fascinating.

5. argonne1918

I don't believe there is such a thing as "genetic memory". This is a theory put out by people who don't believe in either reincarnation or life after death. They are trying to explain away past life cases that can be researched and proven to be true. They used to say "It's just a coincidence". But now there are too many validated cases for it to be "just a coincidence". I don't believe there is such a thing as coincidence.

6. tanguerra

Yes, I agree with argonne. I find the 'genetic memory' argument quite specious. But, there is also a bit of a tendency for people to reincarnate into the same family more often than not, so maybe there are some cross overs?

People usually recall events that are somehow significant or meaningful in their lives. Others just get fairly vague impressions and funny feelings. With a little more work you might be able to find out more about this if that interests you?

For instance, when you say you remember 'beaten down paths' do you remember travelling along such a road? Was it on foot or horseback? When you say you remember 'castles' do you remember seeing a castle from the distance or being inside one or both? Quite often what we get are little flashes of moments. At first they might not seem to make sense, but with a bit of work, they can be pieced together into something very interesting.

Have you had a look in the FAQ section about how to remember your past lives? There are lots of different techniques, it's a matter of finding one that works best for you.

7. monkeysorcerer

I haven't looked too much into the different ways of recalling past lives, as this is a pretty new interest of mine (in terms of really digging into the 'why' of these memories or thoughts). I'm definitely going to look into this more!

I'm just as fascinated by what I hear from other people and their stories. I've read some great things here on the forum and seen some great things online and though various programs. It would be neat to talk to people more face to face, I wonder if there is ever any groups that get together to talk about past lives?

As far as specific imagery, mine is fairly vague, though there are certain details that are more vivid- the clouds in the sky, the music. Sometimes these are brought on by other experiences, sometimes they are just 'there.'

8. tanguerra

Ok. So just fairly disjointed images at this point and some 'feelings'? If you want to try some meditation or regression CDs you might be able to get a bit more.

9. argonne1918

One thing you can do is look for metaphysical type "Meetup" groups in your area. Are you familiar with Meetup Groups? Go to Meetup.com and search for Paranormal, metaphysical, new age, reincarnation, ghost hunting, etc. and see what pops up in your local area. You will be surprised as many of these groups don't advertise anywhere else. Some might even be in your neighborhood. :)

10. monkeysorcerer

Thanks again for your suggestions everyone. I've found a meetup group really close to where I live, and have had a powerful group regression session, with some VERY intense imagery and stories. Really fascinating experience!

I wonder if the images that I had seen were preconceived due to my interest in this time period (I saw lots of medieval imagery, and the whole 'lifetime' was set in the middle ages), or if I was tapping into something deeper. I tend to be pretty scientific about these things, yet there is something that seems to defy my logic and continue to surprise me about this, the more I look into it and now after having this regression session. Are there others out there who had an interest in this and were fairly skeptical, but now are true believers? I love hearing about others' experiences with PL regression and their PLs.

11. argonne1918

That's great. :) When people start doing past life regressions they usually wonder if they were just "making it up" or "imagining things". That occurred to me also when I started. One thing you can do is research. The internet makes researching past lives so much easier. You also indicated you have been attracted to certain things since childhood. That's a dead giveaway that it's past life related. Start keeping a journal and write everything down. Especially after doing a regression. Also make a list of things and places you are attracted to, hobbies, talents, etc. These are all clues.

12. On the Charge

On the Charge New Member

Kilts and Clan Feuds

Hi Monkey! I have been lurking this forum for awhile and your post has enticed me to finally respond. I think you will be very interested to hear what I have to say.

I am an enthusiast of dreams and interpret dreams as a hobby, but one night a few years ago, I had a very powerful and vivid dream that didn't fit within the mold of what a normal dream usually is. I was certain that it was, in fact, a past life memory.

I was in a grassy clearing within an outside market, like a small renaissance fair, but kind of felt like a farmer's market. I don't remember what they were selling because this was not the focus of the dream.

All of the men were wearing green kilts. I was a young man, maybe a teenager. My "father" was having a serious conversation with a friend in the middle of the clearing as I walked up to them. His friend had told him that a rival clan had been insulting our clan, and my father, rather than angry, took on a very scared and sad expression.

This meant that someone was going to die. We were somehow obligated by society to defend our honor with some kind of duel, and I knew that I had to fight, too. All of this was unspoken in the dream, but I knew what we had to do. My father knew too, although he wished no involvement. I think maybe he was the clan leader.

It was believed that if we didn't fight, our clan would appear weak, and this would somehow lead to the suffering of our children's, children's children. This land was apparently without law, as we know it, and the clans governed themselves and each other in this way.

My father reluctantly, but swiftly, started walking away from his friend to prepare, as I followed. My feelings at this point were the prime focus of the dream. I tried not to show it, but I was scared. A "walking the plank" kind of feeling that made me feel like I was unprepared for a duel to the death. These feelings were very strong and were the highlight of the dream. The dream cuts off here.

After I awoke, I knew I had relived a past life memory (one of two I've ever had). I assumed we were Celtic tribes by the green kilts, but it may have been Scottish because I later found out that some Scottish clans wore green kilts, as well.

I also wanted to mention I have always found medieval history very fascinating and I have always felt drawn to it, especially the medieval history of the British Isles. I think I have had more than a few past lives there, and I also think that at some point I was an English foot soldier with a sword. I have always been very drawn to swords. Not a knight, but maybe a man-at-arms type.

Near where I live, in San Jose, CA, there is a medieval martial arts school where I spent about 6 months learning to sword fight (the instructor had lived in Europe). I found myself taking what I learned very seriously, as if it were my duty as a man to know these skills, and I found it easy to picture myself being in those shoes.

13. tanguerra

Hi On the charge

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, a classic past life dream, about an 'every day' event that had great meaning for you.

14. monkeysorcerer

That's fantastic, On the Charge. My visions have been set in similar places, generally revolving around war times, and in what sounds like a similar time frame. From the research I've done, the medieval era definitely seems to come up the most for people and their past life memories. Really fascinating.

And pretty neat about that martial arts school. I'm also located in the bay area, so I should try and check that out some time, as I've never seen anything quite like it!

Argonne, thanks for the advice. I'm going to continue looking into these visions with research, and go back for more regression sessions. Is it fairly common for people to have a regular meditation practice, to more easily connect with that part of the mind we use to access these memories? Kind of a random question, but I would imagine it being helpful.

15. argonne1918

I think so. Also, you will find that once you start to open up, it starts flowing more easily.

16. tanguerra

The 'part of the mind' we use is just memory in my view. Past lives are buried deeper than normal present life memories, but it's still just memory. I think though, that if you are used to doing meditation, like a regular yoga practitioner for example, that you will be more used to quietening your day to day thoughts, which would make it easier to do a regression and easier to just bring memories to the surface in moments of 'stillness'.

Past life memories are always there, but they are well tucked away and a bit harder for most people to access. I like to use the metaphor of the stars, which are always shining, but you can't see them in the day time because the sun is too bright.

Isacosmo likes this.
  17. ChristineL

ChristineL Looking within

Hi Tanguerra,

I'm new to your forum! Sorry for such a late reply. I've had a few past life dreams that reoccurred numerous times. Last night I had my latest one. It was very detailed. It will take me long to rewrite it, but from what your message earlier, I definitely saw the castle from afar, whilst a girl was showing me it. I remember the name was Mugdock Castle, I was a young woman in a purple long sleeved velvet dress with a white scarf/cloak. A young man that lived in the castle was showing me around the garden and inside the castle. We looked at paintings together. His oldest brother, that felt very cold, appeared and told me to leave, I apologised and I politely took my scarf/cloak and left, and the young man didn't tell me not to go, so I left. But I remember he was very upset and looked back at his brother, as I went down the stairs. I remember him well.

The craziest thing is that I researched Mugdock Castle, and it's real! From 13th century, Scotland. From recent tourist pictures the front of the castle looks exactly like my dream. For sure!. It looks much older and worn out now. The castle interior where I went inside, is now ruins so I can't tell if it matches, I remember the walls being a dark blue. The garden looks very similar in shape, but it doesn't look very beautiful like how I remembered. I don't know if it's really believable, but the front of this castle also named mugdock looks uncannily alike to what I saw in my dream, I remember staring at it from afar. The feelings I had was of happiness and missing of someone.

Before I met the young man. I was at a boutique and a young girl was dressing me, I can't remember too well, but I remember the colors red and purple alot. And that the boutique was quite dark, and the young girl maybe 15yrs old was close to me.
    I woke up feeling quite certain it was a past life. What do you think of it? I was really surprised how you mentioned how people remember the outside of the castle and the inside. I definitely remember that extremely well.

18. Isacosmo

Isacosmo isa

Wow, this is the ultimate metaphor! I'm glad I read that.

19. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

Monkeysorcerer, I have that same feeling. I was always obsessed with the Middle Ages, and felt a strong connection with the concept of knights. I actually came across a concept called Earth Angels, which is a type of soul which chooses to have specific life goals for growth like most souls do, but also has an added goal of how they can affect the world as a whole. A specific sub-category of these is called the Knight's Paladin, which is a kind of person who attempts to bring justice to the world, often by being a warrior, though supposedly many have changed professions by the time they get to this era.

20. janusz692

janusz692 New Member

if you are interested in castles and the Middle Ages, see medievalheritage.eu site
    for now there are only monuments from Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania and Latvia, but the plans are for the whole of Europe

fireflydancing likes this.