Feeling Like I'm Losing Myself

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by GalaxyDreamer90, Oct 15, 2020.

1. GalaxyDreamer90

GalaxyDreamer90 Senior Member

Sorry I haven't been here in such a long time, but I thought I had been kicked out of here for being a troll. Anyway lately I've been getting this feeling that I've been losing who I really am. Now that I'm finally moved out and on my own I have been feeling happier, but it doesn't feel right. Doesn't feel like who I really am and I'd much rather be able to feel sadness instead. Unfortunately I can't seem to feel any sadness anymore for some reason even when I really want to I just can't feel very sad. Maybe it's because I've found other things to comfort me then just the feeling of sadness or my medications, or maybe even both. Either way part of me misses being sad all the time and the comforting feeling it use to give me. It just doesn't feel like me to be happy all the time. It just doesn't feel right for some reason. I feel as though I'm losing myself and my emotions. what can I do?

2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Galaxy,

It's good to hear from you again! However, I have to say that it actually just sounds like you are getting well, but that you have been held down by sadness and other depressive symptoms for so long that you have forgotten what it is like to be without them.

It also sounds like your sense of who you are as a person is so tied into having feelings of this type on a constant basis that it feels weird and somewhat unnatural now to be without them.

On the one hand, I have to think that this is a "bump" that you not only will have to overcome, but should overcome. You should be happy to face life without feelings of sadness after such a long time feeling sad all the time.

On the other hand, though I hate to be the bearer of bad(?) news, you will not be able to get through life without having your old feelings revisit you from time-to-time. So, you needn't worry that they are gone for good. This world can be a pretty sad place. You'll be lucky if you get very far without having unhappiness camp on your doorstep again.

So, as the old saying goes, "Make hay while the sun shines." Believe me, overcast and rain always seems to be just around the corner.

Cordially,
    S&S

3. GalaxyDreamer90

Apparently I just needed to finally feel some sadness again since it has been so long since I have felt it amd I have really missed the comfort it gives me. It's good to know I will feel some sadness again every now and then. Still happiness seems so awkward to me. Not sure what I can do to get use to it.

4. cloud potato

cloud potato Senior Registered

I remember you GalaxyDreamer welcome back. :)

Speedwell likes this.
  5. SeaAndSky

Hi Galaxy,

You remind me of someone: "Sadness" from the movie "Inside Out"-

https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Sadness#:~:text=Sadness is the deuteragonist of,try and drag her down

But this isn't intended as a dig--though they made her character look a bit silly in the movie. Sadness_InsideOut_281.jpg Nonetheless, they end up honoring her. When all of the others fail, she is the one who turns out to have the gift of empathy and healing for those in grief, and is the one who ultimately heals a very disturbed little girl in the movie. It makes me wonder whether you might also have such gifts.

Cordially,
    S&S

inhaltslos and Speedwell like this.
  6. GalaxyDreamer90

Yeah I've seen that movie and agree i am a lot like sadness. I'm not sure about being empathic though I've been told I can be but at the same time I've been told I can be self centered. I know everyone has some empathy but I dont know about being highly empathic.

7. SeaAndSky

Hi Galaxy,

It may depend on the need. In the movie, it was Sadness's particular gift to empathize and sympathize with others who were sad or going through hardships. Otherwise, she was pretty intent on her own sad feelings.

So, it was not across the board, but when it was needed she was there and she was dynamite!

Cordially,
    S&S