future life questions

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by briski, Aug 31, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

Daft question. But would our conscious still be me/us. I know the body will be different. Effectively would it be my conscious same as this one just in different body and new/different memories and wouldnt know any better?

2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Briski,

You ask a very good question, and I think your suppositions are correct. Without getting into details, I would say that the source of your consciousness is what is reincarnating. The names this "source of consciousness" is given vary. Most on the board refer to it as "soul". (That is not the way I prefer to designate it, though I generally use it on the board). In any case, it is traveling through many embodiments in the process of learning and developing, hopefully in a positive direction. And, in each one of these it gains experiences, but until it has reached an advanced state (or unless some trauma or other strong memories break through the memory barrier) it doesn't usually recall its prior lifetimes while in the flesh. The reasons for the memory barrier are unclear, though it seems most likely that it exists so that we have a fresh start each lifetime. Can you imagine how you would feel if you had to carry the burden of every terrible thing you had ever done with you? Likewise, how would someone who had done really terrible things such as mass murder be able to escape the vengeance of others and begin anew? Anyhow, though we don't remember specifics, we do come into each lifetime with a lot of traits (good and bad) developed over the course of time. Every parent knows that children are not blank slates to be programmed as we will. Infants come with a built in temperament and personality, which manifests itself very distinctively as it grows older. This personality / temperament is not immutable. It can be molded in varying degrees, and is molded by parents, culture, environment, experiences, etc. across the course of each lifetime, but it is what we usually think of as being "me".

That is my take on your question. Others may have their own. I hope it helps.

Cordially,
    S&S

Spirit Sword and briski like this.
  3. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

Different people use different terminology, so if I understand your question correctly, my answer is as follows ... The one that incarnated in you isn't the you that you know, that you experience now. After death, your awareness reverts to the one that incarnated, and it is like waking up from a dream. Incarnations are like different dreams, with only weak connections.

briski likes this.
  4. briski

briski Senior Registered

Ah pretty much what i suspected the new incarnation is the reality of what you are.
    So effectively you are you with a different body and different memory etc

5. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

Exactly. The basis of who you are stays the same, despite new bodies and blank memories.

A personal anecdote on the subject: a few of my past lives have been recorded, and sometimes later fictionalized to a degree. A friend of mine read an old source on the subject (which supposedly was based on eyewitness accounts) and came to me saying how weird it was that this one historical person just sounded and acted exactly like me. It was interesting to see how well-preserved my personality was, and notice that, while situations may change, you are still recognizably you.

6. SeekerOfKnowledge

SeekerOfKnowledge Learner

No one can really know, but the essence of what you are, the core, the true YOU probably will remain the same. Certain aspects of your personality might diminish or increase or even turn into the polar opposite, but the part of you that is eternal, your soul, will remain. You might encounter the same patterns and issues for life after life (until you have learned to resolve them, maybe, who knows) or not. There might be something like a red thread or not.
    What Spirit Sword says, yes. There have been times when I wanted to be "important" or a "hero" at all cost. Back then, I even would have gone and spread rumors about myself, just so that people notice me and keep talking about me! Couldn't care less in this life. All I want is peace and to be left in said peace...

GreyReynard, Spirit Sword and briski like this.
  7. GreyReynard

GreyReynard Senior Member

I think that you are you. Lives are comparable to going on a holiday. You are doing different things in a different place from where you usually are, but you are the same person on the trip that you were before the trip now with new novel experiences.

Spirit Sword likes this.
  8. Ministargazer

Ministargazer Ministargazer

Yes Sea and Sky, the memory barrier still exists for most people, and yet, increasingly, the barriers are coming down and more and more people are not only remembering their past lives but contemplating them while in a new body. It might be that the Powers That Be are deciding that the time is now if They see that people are benefiting from this. It can speed up a soul's evolution IF the memory of past lives leads to more psychological understanding of our karma, a desire for self-improvement and a determination not to make the same mistakes again. I get the feeling that we are being watched as this is a type of experiment. Let's prove that remembering our past lives is a wonderful way to make fast progress towards the future.

9. Ministargazer

Ministargazer Ministargazer

And I think that while we are in this body we can begin to decide who we might become in the next incarnation. Especially in the last half of your life, the projects you are working on, the desires and goals that you have for the future will become the reality of your next life. For instance, if you are working towards recognition and success perhaps as a musician, this will carry forward into the next life and opportunities will arise then if they haven't in this one. You could even decide where you might like to live and what sex you might like to be. Knowing the mistakes that you've made in this lifetime you can even imagine how they might manifest as karma in the next lifetime and how you might react to it. As life is continuous, it helps to plan ahead!

10. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

Sometimes I like to think of the really terrible lifetimes as that one trip you take where everything goes wrong. You hate it in the moment, but it is your favorite story to tell at parties.

I do not have any memories of being between lives, but I have heard that you do not really feel any emotional trauma on the other side. I wanted to clarify that for anyone who is suffering from past life baggage like I do myself that this does not mean I do not see the very real trauma past events have on people at the present.

11. Speedwell

Speedwell Senior Registered

It's an interesting idea you have. I'm wondering though, I can argue both for and against it. On the one hand, my feeling is that at an individual level, the incidence of past-life recall has always been about the same, century after century, throughout the millennia. I can't prove this, but it is my gut feeling. What has changed is the societies in which we live. Particularly in Europe, the stranglehold which religion had over society is much reduced. Apparently in the USA things are a little different, there religions structures seem to have a larger influence. But that aside, historically, the Church would frown upon any talk of reincarnation, so it was almost literally unthinkable.

However, I would draw a parallel with Near-Death Experiences (NDEs) for which there is clearer evidence of many such spontaneous NDEs through history, if one cares to look. But one thing which has changed is the developments in medicine. Since about the mid 20th century, reliable CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) has been developed, and advances are still being made in this field. As a consequence, the incidence of NDEs has increased dramatically.

If we combine shifts in society with shifts in medical capabilities, the NDE and past-life recall have become more acceptable as a legitimate topic for discussion. Though one may still be ridiculed or dismissed for both in many situations. The grip which religion used to have has been replaced by the stranglehold of materialism as a belief system, which is so insidious that it is taken as a self-evident truth rather than the belief that it actually is (maybe again there are differences between Europe and North America).

If there is an apparent shift in approach from, as you term it, "the Powers That Be" by which I assume (perhaps wrongly?) you mean something other than our national governments here on Earth, I'd suggest that it is more the case that it is an ongoing effort, and each era or time-period presents its own specific opportunities; each is made use of as best suits that time.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Jim78 likes this.
  12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Hi Speedwell. While I agree that the modern world considers materialism a fact and that if one tells people about past life memories one is more likely to be judged to have a mental illness than having past life memories I don't think you can dismiss the power of belief in the modern era so easily.

With the scandals that rocked the Catholic church in my country the church most certainly lost its grip on people. That's true. Yet none of my family are practising Catholics outside of going to christenings, weddings and funerals, yet when I told them of my own past life memories I was met with stony silence. I realised then that just because they weren't regular churchgoers that doesn't mean that my mentioning reincarnation didn't go against their own belief systems.

Religions not simply something losing traction in the modern era...its a belief and beliefs are very hard to overcome.

My families thinking was "Jim thinks he was someone else in the past. That's not possible...we have one life, heaven and hell etc. He must be mentally ill!"

Just because people are no longer practising a religion that doesn't mean that their upbringing hasn't influenced their belief system. That's a very powerful opponent to reincarnation right there.

KenJ, Spirit Sword, Speedwell and 2 others like this.
  13. baro-san

baro-san Senior Member

It seems that when one knows to be "right", they have little understanding for those that err, and try to straighten them up. The same with those who know to be more "evolved" / "spiritual" / "open minded". A step ahead is when you start having doubts about being all those "...".

Jim78 and GreyReynard like this.