Have you ever bought something that would make your past self happpy?

Discussion in 'Members Lounge' started by Klaud, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:55 PM.

1. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

I bought a hair stick made out of a buffalo horn and I wish I could describe the feeling I had when it finally showed up in the mail.

Native American me would have loved something like that

Jim78 and SeaAndSky like this.
  2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Klaud,

I have never purchased these, but there are 4 items that really appeal to me: Walking sticks for gentlemen, gloves worn by ladies and gentlemen for formal occasions, single-hand swords from 16oos-1800s, and sword canes.

Only gloves for ladies on formal occasions were still in use in my childhood. On a personal level, I've never purchased or used any of these items, but they do "call" to me and I think that I or those close to me used them. Likewise, though on many levels I appreciate the modern era, there is a level of courtesy, decorum, gentility and gallantry (especially in regard to relations between the the sexes) that I find sadly lacking in modern life. These items are, to me, somehow emblematic of that loss. Seemingly, nothing is gained without something else lost. This is not to say that the gain does not out-weigh the loss, but a loss is still a loss.

Cordially,
    S&S

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 10:06 AM
    Klaud likes this.
  3. Eva1942

Eva1942 A Walking Enigma...

Kosher food. It’s like my ‘comfort food’ in this lifetime. It’s the Jew in me needing comfort. Half of my pantry is Kosher food for when I feel awful...

(Yes, self medicating with food is not okay, and I’m working on that. Residue from being imprisoned in the camps and ghettoes... :( )

Eva x

Klaud likes this.
  4. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

There's been a few moments where I've considered buying a dagger just so I could have one again, but I'd probably never use it. Probably time to give it up lol.

5. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

What kind of kosher food, if you don't mind my asking?

6. SeaAndSky

Hi Klaud,

I understand about the dagger. Plus, there might be some legality issues (depending on where you live). The truth is, unfortunately, that some things just don't fit in anymore. The things I like--if used publicly--would mark me as an eccentric at the least and land me in jail at the worst. To the extent they are legal and collectible they are useless in the modern era and/or (for the types I prefer) overly expensive.

I'm at the age where I could cultivate a walking stick and people would think I was merely a bit lame. However, men carried walking sticks as a part of their dress attire back then--they were not a sign of disability. The dress cane replaced the sword carried by every gentleman, most could be wielded to good effect for self defense purposes, and many had training in their use for self defense provided either as a specialized martial art or as a byproduct of their training in the use of the sabre. Among the Irish, who had been banned from owning weapons, every man (high or low) carried a walking stick (typically blackthorn) and was trained to various degrees of proficiency in its use.

Anyhow, I'm getting off track and really just trying to think of a practical reason in the modern world for the beautiful walking sticks I would like to collect and possibly cultivate and use. But mostly, with all of the above, I think I'm just missing some things that I liked and/or romanticized in a distant and very different time and place.

Cordially,
    S&S

Klaud likes this.
  7. SeaAndSky

As an example of one of my crazy and unnecessary obsessions in this area, here is a link to Burger Canes, a top-of-the-line producer of custom canes and sword canes in South Africa:

https://www.swordcane.com/

I'm especially entranced by the MK4 model, which can be custom engraved. Here are a couple of examples:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gorgeous workmanship, but at $1400+ why would I need such a thing? It is expensive and probably illegal, plus it has the added problem of being the wrong weapon for the modern age (which is filled with firearms). But that is just me now. There is a whispering in my soul from someone else (pre-1900s and possibly even pre-1800s), who is entranced by these and would dearly like to own one.

S&S

Klaud likes this.
  8. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

I didn't realize walking sticks were functional weapons and a fashion accessory. The more you know! $1400 is a little high though even for that workmanship

9. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

Here's the hair stick because I feel like sharing

Attached Files:

SeaAndSky and fireflydancing like this.
  10. Eva1942

Eva1942 A Walking Enigma...

Anything and everything, nothing in particular, though I like to cook a lot of Ashkenazi food, seeing as my family were Ashkenazi Jewish. Some Jews are also big into Chinese food, because over the Christian Christmas they are the only restaurants open.

I usually order online from a Kosher supermarket that’s interstate, and sometimes visit the very small variety one of our local supermarkets have. I always have a few packets of Chicken noodle soup and Matzo ball mix handy for when I want something deeply comforting and Kosher - Jewish Penicillin! :oops::D

https://girlandthekitchen.com/jewish-chicken-soup-with-matzo-balls-the-real-jewish-penicillin/

Eva x

Klaud likes this.
  11. Klaud

Klaud Senior Member

Thank you for sharing! I'm definitely gonna have to make that matzo ball soup sometime. That sounds so good omg

12. SeaAndSky

Hi Klaud,

Compliments on the hair stick, it is a lovely bit of craftsmanship from an interesting and beautiful material. I can see why you would want this (plus, unlike my obsessions, it is also practical!).

Cordially,
    S&S