Have you ever heard of the "Mandela Effect?"

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Jody, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

I've been really interested in this seemingly new phenomenon. It's when large numbers of people insist they remember different versions of history.

2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Jody,

I have heard of the Mandela Effect, but have come to no definite conclusion (though it seems like one of those things with a very low probability to me). However, I definitely can't dismiss what is going on in the article cited. I tend to think that there may be a more prosaic explanation out there than the Mandela Effect. Perhaps there is a legal tangle behind the whole thing, though it would be pretty remarkable for there to be no copy of this old video somewhere if it exists. Other than that one possibility . . . .

Cordially,
    S&S

3. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

Read the whole article. I am betting on false memories rather than timeline switching or anything else.

Kellybin likes this.
  4. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

Cryscat: I've studied many proposed examples of the "Mandela Effect" (which got its name from the hundreds of people who independently believed Nelson Mandela died in prison and were surprised he died a free man after becoming president of South Africa). I think some proposed examples could be simple false memories, but some are more troubling. For example, there's a whole website dedicated to people who are really good spellers who totally remember "dilemma" being spelled as "dilemna" even though its not pronounced that way. The same is true for "Berenstein Bears." I remember it being pronounced as "Berenstain" but being spelled "Berenstein" making it a special case. Why would I remember these special cases along with thousands of other people? There's a mystery here! Anyway, here are a few more examples:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

It is interesting, and some cases are hard to figure out. I was referring to what was in the first post though. As for dilemma vs dilemna, I too, was taught to spell it dilemna and was surprised to find that it really is spelled dilemma. As to the cause of this, the aberrant dilemna is almost certainly a hypercorrection; if common words like solemn, hymn, or autumn have a silent n, then surely this Greek philosophical term would as well. Like pluralizing octopus as octopi, saying between you and I, or pronouncing habanero with an ñ, the spelling is then perpetuated by well-meaning but mis-remembering teachers, editors, and so on. Its is , now, listed as a
    variant spelling. ((shrug))

Let me think about the " Berenstain but being spelled Berenstein" thing. I am pretty sure there is a regional pronunciation variant as the source there. Its another interesting puzzle as I have always pronounced it "stein" and not "stain."

Stuff like "stain vs stein" really shouldn't be a mystery. Spoken language is very flexible. I do remember that the northeast tends to flip the long e into an a, so that may be the source. Also if you say "berenstein" a number of time, you can flip "e "into "a" easily. Might be a possible "Great Vowl shift #2" in process and freaking a number of people out.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Cryscat,

I think your point is well taken regarding most of the items cited. Actually, I find the movie example the thread began with the most interesting, and hardest to explain. A local aberration in spelling or teaching spelling, false impressions about the way something is spelled or pronounced based on past (internalized) ideas about the way it should be spelled, etc. are adequate explanations for most of these. Likewise, in terms of Mandela, I seem to remember articles predicting his death in prison, so I can imagine that many would have internalized that as a fact just from the articles. So, that type of thing doesn't add up to much to me. But the example given re "Shazaam", and the number of people who independently remember this non-existent movie, as well as (apparently) independently remembering the nature of its alleged case, star, plot, characters, etc., just seems a bit too much to fall within the usual ambit of human error, false impressions, mistake and etc.

It is just a bit weird. Its like a slight glitch in the woven fabric of reality, a bit like some interfering deity made a clumsy job of pruning something from existence, leaving a lot of loose ends dangling . . . .

Cordially,
    S&S

PS--Actually, the whole thing makes me think of the kind of thing one used to see on the "Twilight Zone". I can almost hear Rod Serling narrating in the background.

Mere Dreamer likes this.
  7. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

Here's a new one that just blew me away ... does anyone remember Ed McMahon (Johnny Carson's sidekick) handing out big checks for Publisher's Clearing House? Because apparently he never did ...

8. Kellybin

Kellybin New Member

Read a little bit for the first time glace. I will read it whole later.

9. Cryscat

Cryscat Senior Member

McMahon did the Jerry Lewis Telethon... maybe some people are crossing that with Publisher's Clearing House, somehow.

10. fireflydancing

fireflydancing Registered

Is this Mandela effect an American problem?

I mean, it is commonly known that he became president of South Africa (for many years), and this thing with American movies and series and movie stars... means nothing to me as a European
    ;)

11. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

fireflydancing: according to this website (dedicated to the seemingly new spelling of "dilemma") "From the hundreds of comments received here it seems that the Dilemna with an 'N' spelling spreads across many generations from 15 to 90+ year olds and right across the world - every English speaking nation seems affected!
    This site alone attracts visitors from over 50 different countries. "