Have you ever seen a ghost?

Discussion in 'Parapsychology' started by Kristopher, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

or anything at all that you would label 'paranormal'.

I haven't been lucky enough to witness anything of the sort yet, but I'm hoping I'll have a few experiences in my life at some point.

2. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

I have seen a few incidents. My grandmothers are mediums (coincidentally) and I have seen a few times where my grandmother got possessed by ghosts (relatives on the other side) I noticed that her emotion changed (she was all jolly but when that happened she started crying and shaking) her way of speaking changed (although I don't understand Chinese, regretfully but I can still hear the change in accent.) her aura also changed.. I can just feel it. This is my paternal grandmother.

My maternal grandmother, I heard.. Knows witchcraft. Gives me chills at night but I refuse to believe it without proof (skeptic).. I heard rumours that my mother knows as well. I never seen much but my mum told me that when she was young her family practised head hunting. (very gruesome family history) Hopefully that isn't true or I might never look at them the same way again.

PS. I think there's a poor POW ghost stuck in my bathroom... Can't confirm it though. But just a feeling, so I avoid it as there's also.. A.. Very large *gulp* mirror in there.. There's also a very large mirror staring down the hallway.. Geez, why do they hang large mirrors!!? (I guess its for Feng Shui.. My mum practice it even though she isn't Buddhist..

3. hippiemade

hippiemade New Member

I experienced some paranormal things as a child, that were really confusing to me until I was an adult.

I have seen my father a few since he passed 8 years ago.

4. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I have experienced quite a few 'corner-of-the-eye'-phenomena, but usually I get really strong imprints mentally. I'm quite sensitive to residual energy :rolleyes: :D .

A few times I've experienced physical stuff happening that I couldn't explain. Just last weekend my boyfriend had put his iPhone on top of a book on our coffee table. We were sitting in our sofa watching tv and suddenly the phone just flew off the book onto the table. We were really puzzled, but decided that it must have been lying on the edge, etc. etc. however the way it fell off seemed forceful rather than accidental. We were to eat our dinner in front of the tv and so cleared the coffee table. My boyfriend put the book on another table and put the iPhone on top of it again, making sure this time that it wasn't on the edge of the book. A while later the phone "flew" off the book again onto the table. Now even my very rationalist boyfriend was slightly creeped out. We decided not to put the phone back on the book, but kept a close eye on it for the rest of the evening. Nothing happened though and nothing has happened since.

It was just a very strange experience. The book, in case it has any interest, is a huge biography on the Danish polar explorer Knud Rasmussen. I wondered if the great Knud was giving us his opinion on modern technology :rolleyes: :D

5. dking777

dking777 Senior Registered

I was just thinking of this one particular 'haunting' last night after I replied to another post about the five friends who passed away. I saw all of their 'ghostly' images appear to me in one form or another. The one that got me 'going' the most was a prankster. He enjoyed giving me a 'start' with his antics.

I was sitting in my living room with friends when a person's head popped up over the couch and appeared only a second and then popped back down. (My couch was such that it had an open space behind it.) It was so fast - the face was a blur - but it was definitely a human head.

Another time - I was sitting in the LR and had sight of my bed in the bedroom. His head appeared at the end of the bed on the floor. He was just sitting there waiting for me to catch sight of him and then he disappeared. I would forget about his 'haunting' me - and make a big fuss with my guest about someone playing a trick. I would have all my guests searching the place for someone playing tricks on me. Then I would realize - "oh yeah --- it is my dead friend playing tricks on me."

One time - I went to my closet and was in a hurry to grab a jacket. I opened and closed the door fast - and when I closed the door - I realized someone had been standing at the end of the closet staring straight ahead. I started laughing because that one really got to me. I started talking to him and told him he had better not be standing at the end of my closet when I opened the door. He wasn't.

He not only played tricks on me. He played tricks on my friends and made appearances to them as well. People would see 'him' riding in my car when I drove by for work. They would ask me who was in my car - when I had been alone. When they described him - I told them, "Oh yeah, that is my hometown friend who died recently. He is keeping me company in the spirit world." One time - a couple of girls came to my house while I was gone and knocked on the door. My 'ghostly friend' answered the door and spoke to the girls. He told them I wasn't home and when I was going to return. When they asked me who was at my house and answering my door - they described him. I told them, "Oh yeah, that is the ghost I keep telling you guys I am seeing in the house all the time."

I had to get my Dad to send me some photographs of him to prove to people they had actually seen a 'ghost.'

That is one of many experiences I had with the 'spirits' of departed friends who gave me a 'friendly haunting' after their passings.

DK

6. hydrolad

hydrolad Senior Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, as I recollected in a much earlier post, I saw the ghost of my Great-Grandmother in a Bedroom years ago when I was a child of about six.

I was called to Dinner one night and was walking to the Kitchen down a long hallway, when I glanced into this Bedroom (used by my Mother) and was surprised to see the figure of an elderly woman surrounded by a glow of light.

Only the head, shoulders and chest were visible, perhaps it was as if she had only enough energy to show a partial body apparition.

I stood there in the doorway and just stared at the lady and she smiled at me and studied me for a while then slowly faded away.

There was a light in the hallway, but it could not reflect into the Bedroom and the Bedroom was dark also, so I continued to the Kitchen to eat.

Afterwards, I told my Mother what I had seen (being somewhat confused), and she went to the bookcase and got all of the family photo albums out for me to look through and try to identify this lady.

After one book and several pages more of another book, I pointed to a lady dressed in a high necked dress with a brooch at the throat and gray hair pulled into a tight bun on top of her head.

My Mother looked at the photo and said it was my Great-Grandmother and that was her Bedroom (by then it was my Mother’s), later on my Aunt said it was where my Great-Grandmother had died (back then people died at home).

Back then, as a child, I saw her “head on”, but now, as an Adult, I can only see other ghosts out of the corner of my eye and usually only when I'm overly tired or pre-occupied.

Sorry about the long post, but this was the way it happened.

7. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Former Moderator

I've had a few experiences.

The house I grew up in had a lot of strange noises. We would commonly hear things in parts of the house that at the time nobody was in. It wasn't just me hearing it either. We all did. I remember one time we had a house full of people and hear a loud crash come from the basement. We all stopped what we were doing and looked at each other. We then went to investigate what caused it and found nothing. We could not figure out what caused the loud crash.

Also I worked at a place for years that was haunted. Many strange things happened there. I saw a fire alarm go off with no one around. I would hear someone call my name when no one was around. I always would see someone in my peripheral vision and no one there. The craziest thing was seeing in a window the reflection of a girl standing behind me. When I turned around no one was there.

To quote The Monkees - I saw her face, now I'm a believer. :D

8. Shiftkitty

Shiftkitty Registered User

Yes. Want one? ;) Actually they've been a constant in my life, and as of now we're dealing with something in the house that thumps the walls, spooks the cats, tries to trip my husband, smacks the back of the chairs, drags things around in the garage, opens and closes doors, shakes doors, and a bunch of other things. We're going to be setting up some cameras to see what we get on video.

It's actually somewhat communicative. We had a period where day after day the water-protector was being removed from the backyard sprinkler timer. This was a problem because water would get in and screw with the batteries. One day I went out back to feed the dog and saw that it was off of the timer and hanging in its usual spot where our ghost would put it. I popped it back an and told it to stop that unless it planned to get a job and pay for the batteries. It hasn't happened since. Sometimes it wants certain music played, and if we don't play it, it gets cranky and starts emanating a bad mood.

Man, I hope we get that camera set-up running soon!

9. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

I have seen, heard and felt paranormal things pretty much all my life. Not until recently I have had some PL memories, but not enough to make enough sense out of it. Like country, year or life status.

My weirdiest experience was seeing and hearing my dad when he was still alive yet no where around. Ever since he passed I have not seen or heard him. I have felt his energy once in a while though. He passed away in 1989 :angel:

So much to understand and no easy button to open up the answer box.

10. Shiftkitty

Tonight the backyard sprinkler turned on on its own. I had shut it off for the end of the summer at the end of September. Tonight, however, it came on and started watering the backyard. We don't live in a nice neighborhood, so we keep the guns handy. Tonight we had to go clear a darkened backyard with a sprinkler going full force. We didn't find any evidence of anyone having gotten into the yard.

Tomorrow when it's light, we're going to go out and investigate the area around the valve closer. With an unknown situation, we didn't want to stay out there longer than we had to. I don't think we're going to find anything.

11. Raptor95

Raptor95 member

Shiftkitty

I am glad you all are ok. I can imagine going out there in the dark in those conditions. I am curious to find out what you find. It is weird when things like that happen.

12. Shiftkitty

This morning's investigation revealed no footprints, but the ground was pretty well-packed. The cover to the sprinkler's controls was off and the setting had been changed to "Auto", where I had set it to "Off". My husband set it back to "Off", and then off to work I went. He's on permanent disability, so he's off work pretty much for good. He only left home once today, and that was to pick me up from work. I went out back to feed the dog and decided to check out the sprinkler again. The cap was still on, but it had set itself back to "Auto".

We've had some serious humidity here, so it's possible we're having a short-circuit that's causing it to change its own settings, but that still wouldn't explain how the cap got off when you have to snap it off.

13. Midnight.Sapphires

Midnight.Sapphires Senior Registered

I've only seen a ghost/spirit once but have heard and felt them many times.

When I lived in America, I worked as a Secretary in a very large hospital. I worked the graveyard shift and my office was situated in the basement near the stairwell. A young woman had been murdered in that stairwell many years ago - her murder has never been solved. The morgue was also situated further down the corridor, near the elevators.

One night, I was speaking to a friend of mine who also worked as a Secretary in the same office but our shifts overlapped so as I came into work she would be leaving. She was standing near the doorway and I was facing her. While speaking with her, I saw a black shadow go flying by. Not sure what I had just seen, I didn't say anything but my friend just starting cussing and yelling, "Oh my God! Did you see THAT??!!" I knew then that I wasn't seeing things.

The house that I lived in at that time was also haunted but I never saw the ghosts - only heard them. As mentioned, I worked the graveyard shift and would arrive home in the morning around 7:30 am. One morning, not too long after we moved into the house, I had gotten home and was washing up. When I left the bathroom, I heard a young male, probably around 12-13, calling, "Mom? Mom? MOM!?". Thinking that it was probably a kid outside, I ran to the window and looked out but the street was quiet and there was absolutely no one around. And then I realised that the voice had come from inside the house. After that, whenever I was in the spare room that we used as an office, I would hear what sounded like slow, deliberate footsteps creep up the hallway and stop right at the office door - but I was the only one in the house. And whenever the footsteps stopped, the hair on the back of my neck would rise up, as if someone was staring at me.

Another incident involved mumbled voices (sounded like older males) coming from the kitchen. At that time, both my husband and I were in the spare room and when I went to check, there was no one outside the house.

14. Shiftkitty

It'd have been nice to have done a seach on the house's history to see if anything unusual went on there.

For us, we had more activity last night. One of the cat food dishes popped up violently and scattered kibbles across the kitchen floor. We went into investigate followed by three very frightened cats who suddenly wanted to go out to the garage for the evening. No other activity was noted for the night.

15. Midnight.Sapphires

I often thought about that - doing a history on the house, which wasn't very old - it was built in 1972. But we only lived in that house for about 3 years before we packed up and moved to Scotland (my husband's home country).

I remember when we first looked at the house, before buying it, I felt very uneasy about the master bedroom. In fact, I never slept in the master bedroom for the first year and a half - my poor husband slept alone - because I just felt that there was a very bad vibe in there. One day, I blessed the house using sage and holy water, and the heaviness/bad vibes disappeared. After that, I was able to sleep in that room.

For some reason, my husband never felt nor heard anything. In fact, he never believed me when I told him about the odd things going on in that house.

16. Mama2HRB

Mama2HRB Senior member

My home has at times been a home, a video store, a doctor's office, a hospital and a bordello.

The ghosts are here but I feel very safe. I have seen a few but do not feel in any danger here.

In my last home the man who built it was still there as was his dog. We had numerous events with him and there was a presence that was very scary.

17. Shiftkitty

I guess some people aren't particularly sensitive to such things. I'm a mixed bag when it comes to dealing with the spirit world. I've never been able to work a ouija board (and am suspect about them anyway, so maybe that's a matter of belief), so I probably wouldn't be very good at seances, but it seems when something from the other side of the veil decides to communicate, it's going to mess with me!

18. NetRaider

NetRaider New Member

I thought I'd share this story of a childhood experience when I was eight years old, something I often think about and more recently had discussions about it with other family members.

I grew up in Clydebank a town near Glasgow famous for shipbuilding. My parents, two sisters and I lived in a cramped tenement building with an outside toilet so the offer of a council house with three bedrooms and proper toilet was very welcome and we duly moved in about the time of the summer school holidays.

It was an exciting time, being the eldest I got my own room and even got to choose the wallpaper and we got our first dog a black labrador called Glen. Not long after we moved in the strange events started to occur. The dog would never go upstairs where my sister's and I had our rooms and would often stand at the bottom of the stairs growling with his hackles up. My father worked nightshift in a local factory so was never around much in the evenings and after we children were in bed my mother would hear footsteps on the stairs as did the dog which would start growling and getting agitated. Thinking it was one of us sneaking downstairs she'd check but nobody there and we'd be sleeping. My father also mentions hearing footsteps during the day and on his nights off.

I remember waking several times during the night and although dark there was enough ambient light from the streetlights outside to see a figure standing at the bottom of my bed, I could see it was a man thinner and taller than my father but couldn't make out any features. Needless to say I was terrified and I don't mind admitting that until I became an adult I kept my head under the duvet when in bed in case I saw something. I didn't mention this to my parents until much later.

Also around this time one or more of us would get sick during the night, headaches and nausea but this was put down to some bug or other that was going around.

I didn't find out till years later that the house became vacant because the previous occupant had apparently commited suicide by gassing himself in the kitchen, no suicide note was left nor any indication that he was unhappy for any reason.

Being Catholic my parents had a priest come around to bless the house but the incidents still continued. About this time they bought a new gas cooker to replace the very old model currently installed. When the gas fitter arrived to install it he was horrified to discover that the pipe leading to the old cooker had a large hole and was leaking gas constantly. Had it not been a warm summer and all the windows being left open we could have died and the small amount of gas building up during the night was probably responsible for us getting sick.

That discovery also solved the mystery of the suicide which of course wasn't, it appears the guy had come home from the pub and decided to make something to eat in the kitchen but fell asleep. The buildup of gas had killed him and was of course accidental.

My parents tracked down his mother to tell her what had been discovered and after that nothing more strange happened in the house which we lived in for several years after that.

19. Midnight.Sapphires

NetRaider...

Hello...it's nice to see another Bankie here! I loved reading about your paranormal experiences but please tell me about where in Clydebank this house was? I'm praying it's not mine. :eek:

Just a question - have you heard about the Haunted Dog Bridge in Milton? I always joke to my husband that we should take his mum's "wee noisy rats" (her yorkies) there to see if what they say about the bridge is true. Of course, I'm just kidding but my husband is never amused. :laugh:

A note to people - this bridge is a reportedly suicide spot for dogs and no one really knows why. It's said that if you walk your dog across this bridge, your dog will commit suicide by jumping off of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-411038/Why-dogs-leapt-deaths-Overtoun-Bridge.html

20. NetRaider

NetRaider New Member

The house was in Whitecrook, King Street. The street still exists but the houses were refurbished many years ago and the house numbers changed as parts of the original building were merged beyond recognition.

After living there we moved to North Elgin Street which is where I left when I was sixteen to work and study down south. It was my father who recently brought up the subject of the 'haunted' house in King Street which although much in my mind the rest of the family had forgotten or ignored.

I have to confess I've never heard about the Haunted Dog Bridge in Milton but I'm intrigued. I'm now living not so far away from Clydebank and I'll make some enquiries.

21. hydrolad

Haunted Dog Bridge in Milton?

I’ve never thought about suicides in animals, so is it possible for an animal to form the concept of suicide in their minds?

And if they do commit suicide, do they know what it entails and what type of punishment is waiting for them, if any?

I wonder what process is in place, to cause an otherwise stable animal, to try and commit suicide, and does it know that the act is often terminal.

Almost every family has skeletons in their closets, my family had a relative who “tried” to commit (suicide), but was instead committed, the suicide implement (deactivated) was kept on display for years as a lesson to others.

22. hydrolad

To NetRaider:

Your story is a classic example where a benevolent spirit tries to help the living through the veil, without the assistance of a corporeal body anymore.

The gentleman who died of a supposed suicide, recognized the problem upon reaching the “Other Side” and sought to warn the new occupants of the danger, especially since children were in the family.

He was unable to do much warning, since he had no body, but he did try, within the limits of his spiritual body, and after the danger was over and his name cleared with his Mother, he moved on.

23. Shiftkitty

Awesome story, NetRaider! We had a family ghost for a few years whose presence we could always feel riding in the car with us whenever we went around Laurel Curve on Hwy 17 in the Santa Cruz mountains. He wiped out there driving home drunk. Fred Thompson stayed with us for many, many years, choosing to haunt our family instead of his house. He was a fun ghost, though, fond of pinching the behinds of female guests (and sometimes those of the resident females, me and mom, as well)!

One night we were heading towards Laurel Curve when a "gullywasher" suddenly opened up, a sudden, heavy downpour. It went on for a bit, the mist from the vehicles obscuring vision. In front of us was a big rig who didn't slow down for the curve in time. His trailer started to jack-knife and as he began to slow, we found ourselves between a swinging trailer and a drop off of the mountain. The presence in the car became very strong, and as we went around the dreaded Laurel Curve, we noticed that our car was hugging the rails. The truck narrowly missed us, and there were no collisions from any other cars either. When we got off of the mountain and down into the valley, my mom swore that someone else had been holding the steering wheel and steered the car towards the rails, keeping it just out of reach of that swinging trailer.

That night we all drank a toast to Fred.

24. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

This is a great thread, with some creepy stories, and some amazing ones…I have several personal stories to share!

My mom lived in England for 4 years. During that time, she noticed how everyone talked about their ‘ghosts’ like they were everyday things while standing in the grocery line, etc. As many of them lived in towns and even homes that have been around for centuries, a spirit or two hanging around is considered quite common by many people over there in the small old towns.

A personal experience mom had was when she visited this small bakery bread shop. She walked in past a table with loaves of bread displayed, and behind her 4 loaves fell off the table onto the floor. She thought she must have bumped them and put them back. Then carried on, and 6 more loaves shot off the table! She looked at the owner behind the counter confused and apologizing, but the owner was laughing. She said, “oh, never mind, it’s just Fred! She’s messing with you. I really shouldn’t call her Fred, but I named her before I knew it was a she”. She said she had seen her, often circling their well, in an old white dress. She would follow her to the bread store and mess with the lights and bread on the tables sometimes, quite innocently, but when shoving many loaves repeatedly off the tables could become a little nuisance.

One day at our house, my mom had just walked in when one of her grandmother’s china teacups flew of the shelf in the kitchen and shattered on the floor. There is quite a ledge on that shelf, and mom was on the other side of the kitchen. No explanation for that other than her grandmother wanting to get her attention somehow.

My mom has also seen her grandmother and father shortly after they passed, in person briefly before her, and in dreams.

Once, we were touring a old country property for sale that we were looking at to buy. We went through the house, and mom & I just didn’t like it for some reason. Then we went down to the barn, and coming back up the lane I go this horrible creepy feeling that someone was looking straight at me from the top of the hill to the right. I looked that way, and saw a clear mental image of a young man, a soldier who was quite angry with us being there. Clearly in my mind I heard a masculine voice say ‘leave.’ Needless to say we left. As we hurriedly walked back down the lane to the car, I could feel his eyes in my back watching me the whole way. I got the impression he wanted to be left alone.

We went to see many places, and some of them were just plain freaky, mom and I would come away saying ‘what happened there?’ We looked until we found one with all the physical requirments and good energy.

At our current country property, there is a good positive feeling, which is why we moved here. Since we moved, mom and I have had several interesting dreams of ghosts here though. I dreamed I helped one ‘go to the light’ from the barn loft before we even finished moving in, and have also dreamed of some 1700s style dressed men asking me in a friendly way to follow them to a corner of the property. Mom dreamed of a whole family of ghosts knocking on the door, asking for help.

We know the previous owner died of cancer at an old age in the house. We will all be sitting at dinner and suddenly we’ll all exclaim at the same time ‘do you smell pipe smoke?!’ None of us smoke, but we know he loved his old pipe, we have also all smelled men’s aftershave that is not a smell the men in our house use. We know the owners poured their lives into this place, and they like to ‘check in’ every once and a-while. :)

We have also started getting amazing pictures of orbs, mist, rods and shapes of light that are unexplainable. They are all very bright and beautiful; we know we are not alone here, but in a good way. We want to learn more about them. We have had many different people ask us if we have a energy vortex/portal on our property, this is something else we are looking into. As many who get these genuine orb pictures don't seem to get the amazing multitude that we get so easily.

25. Sunniva

Sunniva Administrator Emeritus

I love reading these stories :D

Last year in december I helped out at a conference. We were three students, who were payed to make coffee, serve food, do the dishes, jobs like that. The conference was held at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen in the villa that used to be the private home of the founder of Carlsberg I. C. Jacobsen. It's a beautiful house built in the mid-1800's and very much inspired by Roman villas (probably inspired by the discovery of Pompeii).

Anyway, most of the time I was in the downstairs kitchen. I immediately felt a presence there, several actually, but I didn't think much of it since...well, it was an old house :rolleyes: The day was very stressfull, we were only people to serve 70 and we were running up and down the stairs constantly. At some point me and another girl were standing alone in the kitchen, while waiting for the coffee and trying to plan logistics. Suddenly the electric tea kettle started and we looked at each other, none of us being anywhere near it. Fortunately this other girl believes in the paranormal as well, so we just smiled and shrugged, saying "thank you for wanting to help us".

Later that evening I was doing the dishes after lunch. The kitchen had this huge industrial dishwashing machine, where you slide a box of dishes in, pull down a lid for a minute or two, pull it up and voila, clean dishes. Behind me was a table where this other girl was arranging the afternoon snacks in little bowls. She had put all the bowls in a row, but left for a minute to get some of snacks from another room. She was gone for less than five minutes, I was working the dishwasher, and the third student was upstairs with all the participants of the conference. When the other girl came into the kitchen again she said: "eh...why have you stacked the bowls?" I turned around, puzzled, and there all the bowls were stacked on the side of the table. Since we were very busy and stressed out at this time, we didn't thank the "helper", but asked if they would please stop and just leave it to us.

Afterwards I've been thinking how obvious it was that someone from the old staff just wanted to give a helping hand. Turning on the kettle, stacking the bowls, trying to help us and clean up after us. It wasn't scary at all, it just happened and seemed really natural.

26. Shiftkitty

Lady & the Unicorn- Just think, some day in the future you may be casually standing in a darkened corner watching a new family move in and will be among the ranks of friendly spectres to welcome them! ;)

Ours is in a restless phase right now. Last weekend the only way to calm it down seemed to be to play the Rolling Stones' "Tell Me You're Coming Back". I wonder if this corresponds to a dream I had a few weeks ago in which everything was being thrown around the house while my husband and I were trying to grab the neccesities and get out. At one point in the dream I went into the bedroom to grab something and the dresser slid away from the wall revealing some scribbled gibberish with only one clear phrase; "She drove him to suicide".

I've looked, but have yet to tie any suicides to this house or the plot of land it sits on.

27. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

What wonderful stories! Mine are not so dramatic and defined but here they are;

I was with a group of friends having dinner in a special events room at restaurant that had been a 1700's lighthouse and lifeguard station on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and we were having a loud and boisterous time. With no one nearby, a closet door opened as if someone was pulling it. We all noticed it and the idea that a ghost had opened it became a brief part of the laughter. Soon a waiter came in and asked if we had opened the door and we told him what happened. He showed us the key that would unlock the door, and told us that it is never left unlocked, but their ghost opens it nightly...which effectively silenced the crowd for a moment until he said it was friendly, then the alcohol resumed its happy effect.

During my 5 am walks, I enjoy solitude and darkness, the only light provided by sparsely placed streetlights and the stars. There are seldom more than three to five people passed during my three mile tour of the greater neighborhood. On one occasion I noted the fallen leaves at the curb began to rustle...I assumed because I moved the air as I passed. For no particular reason, I moved toward the center of the street and expected the rustling to end as the air I moved with my passing would be too far away...but it didn't stop. In fact, it became stronger and seemingly intent on keeping up with me, all the while a sense of chill seemed to pour over me. I reached an intersection with my hair nearly standing on end and took a left turn and moved to the center of the street, maintaining my fairly fast pace and trying not to break into a run to get away from whatever was rustling the leaves to my left.

For the next 100 yards as my "rustler" kept pace with me, I repeated to myself "I am protected by the God of Love!" over and over and eventually the rustling began to diminish and finally stopped. In retrospect, I felt a little foolish with having been so scared, and if my chant of protection was actually understood I must assume the being was laughing at my invocation of Eros, as was my neighbor, a psychic, who said I found an angry being attracted by "your light", and the next time just say "I am protected by the love of God" and that will send him away more quickly than the vision of a cherub!

The next morning he found me again and when I heard the rustling I began my chant and he went away before I got to my corner.

28. NetRaider

NetRaider New Member

A few years later moving to a house a couple of streets away I had another strange experience. I'd get home from school around 4.10pm and watch some TV whilst dinner was being prepared. My father usually got home from work around that time would come up the stairs, walk along the hallway and hand me the day's newspaper he had bought earlier before going to work in the morning.

I was sitting in the chair with the open living room door on my right, from the corner of my eye I saw my father appear at the top of the stairs walk along the hallway and go into my room. Now that was strange, why would he go into my room? Since he didn't come out again I went to my room which was empty, no sign of my father. Just then I heard him come in the front door as normal. I was more puzzled than anything else since what I saw was very clear albeit at the periphery of my vision.

We didn't have a phone in those days but a telegram arrived later with the news that my grandfather in Ireland had died earlier just about the same time as I saw what I thought to be my father go into my room.

When I mentioned this to my mother she wasn't surprised but said that somebody in the family always gets a warning about an impending death and seems it was my 'privilege' that time.

29. Lady2

Lady2 Senior Registered

Usetawuz, that would have freaked me out too!

Interesting...Some ghosts/spirits want to help you, some need you to help them, some just hang around a person or location for some reason and a few should just want to be left alone.

I forgot to add that when my brother was little he would run through the house and mom would tell him not to. He said a man was chasing him. Then he would stand at the top of the basement stairs and point down, saying that the man was standing down there. Once night he was really restless right after mom had put him to bed. As she stood there he pointed up to the corner of the ceiling and said "if I have to go to bed, HE does TOO!". Mom said out loud 'it's time for BED now'. He only saw him for so long, then stopped talking about him.

30. Ignotus

Ignotus Senior Registered

My friend just told me one a few days ago but I have to say; its really creepy and I asked her to get the house blessed... And its a true story.

My friend loves keeping antique dolls in her room. Yes, they are real. She got them from England when she went there last year. Her niece loves playing with it and one day, while playing the dolls are on a swing. The swing started swinging on its own. The fan wasn't moving and there's no wind. Her niece also swore the doll turned its head. She then ran as fast as her legs could carry out of the room. My friend also had lucid dreams (3 actually before her niece told her it was alive!) about the same doll except its human size and staring at her.That's why I don't like dolls. She offered whether I would like the doll. Of course I said no, dolls of all shape and sizes scare me.

Another one was the same friend but her father's friend's daughter. She was a little girl, roughly 5 or 6. She went shopping with her dad one day. When her father's head was turned to pay the cashier and he looked back, she was gone. He of course, panicked went searching for her. He noticed a gust of wind and something in him told him to follow it. He followed the wind until it stopped in front of a DVD shop. His daughter was there, just staring at the screen. He then questioned her what was she doing there. Her only reply was that a man in Buddhist clothing took her by the hand and showed her around the mall. Of course, her dad couldn't find any man in monk robes. Well, that was all she told me.

PS. I always asked my friends to share ghost stories. All of us are paranormal fans (and Otakus) one of my friend, her name's Lydia, is very brave, she could watch the Grudge at night alone with a smile on her face... Plus, she plays a lot of horror games. But she never encountered a real ghost before. I have more though but I can't fit it all. :laugh: