Help with past life in the 1920's?

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by Jaimie, Apr 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Hi S & S !
    Hope you enjoy the holiday ! It is perfectly alright :)
    /Jaimie

2. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

There is a Bay St. Louis in Mississippi, but St. Louis is up-river in Missouri, still considered a Southern state though [nearly in the center of the US Central time zone].

Jaimie likes this.
  3. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Hi ! I am back, forcing my questions on my research on you guys ! Sorry, but I can't help myself : )

Now that I have finally worked out on how to search on Newspapers. com is when I finally got some answers where I was stuck before, but today along came a surprise.

And this is why I write to you gals/guys right now, and hope you don't mind. I figure I can't be the only one trying to research in old newspapers and am somewhat saddened/confused/puzzled/amused at times about what I read. The American language is not my first language either so I use google translate, but this time it won't help.

Please, if you know this help me out, I would appreciate it :)

I was looking into the exact address where Sadie lived with her husband and father in Germantown, and going few years before of her death.

I found out that apparently, by the ads in the newspapers, that there were a few business on this street like technical and electrical support, and then I found in the year 1919 on the exact address where Sadie & family lived that there was an experienced stamper and ( Allen Hosiery Company ) high-grade hosiery.

Now, in one of my memories of my father in that life he was doing something with needled and thread and fabric and it was as if he had done nothing else in life. He had a particular way of doing it, that I by accident ( ?) saw my own husband doing when fixing something ( believe me, my husband don't chose to sit and sew if he does not have to so I was a little surprised he was that good at it ).

When I had the memory I thought he did these things because he was a widow and no new wife in the house and caring for a daughter alone, that he had to get practical in this department as well and not lend it over to a woman's hands.

Now I am thinking that perhaps he was employed by this company, working from the home, having ads in the paper, but to me it is a surprise mix of discovering both this and the "experienced stamper"- thing. What is that ? Experienced stamper ? When I search I only find a lot of stamps. Does anyone know ? ( someone collecting, selling stamps ? I'm lost... )

Back to the "sewing thing" I found this pdf document https://archive.org/stream/secondindustrial00penn/secondindustrial00penn_djvu.txt
    and on the exact address it says :

Oak Lane Knitting Mills 79 Wister St., Germantown Philadelphia.

It is part of a list of ISO INDUSTRIAL DIRECTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA along with other addresses .

In 1920, less than a year after the 1919-ad, something happened that caused a great deal of damage ( I will have to research more on that ) .

I understand that this is very boring for some to read and for that I apologize, but maybe someone out there knows what an experienced stamper is ? Perhaps very easy for someone living in America or UK ( and I will come across as very silly for not knowing ) ?

Have a wonderful Sunday :)

With kindest regards

Jaimie

PS I have found Allen Hosiery Company ads, this is one of them:

[​IMG]

4. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Me again,

I was able to get the entire article of the incident occurring in 1920. It was fire. In one of my memories I woke up and it was heavy smoke everywhere and fire, and managed to leave and then fall down to the ground, in shock ( so not the first floor ). I can't say if this would be the fire I had in my memory. I have in the past found another Sadie Conlin who survived a fire, but it was a different address. This is the same address where I know Sadie lived in 1922, but I don't know if she lived there in 1920, but at the same time it does not mention if people actually lived there at the time, if it was their private homes or just business, it does not mention anyone being injured or killed. I remember trying to hide from the people I saw further away, as if I did not dare to take any chance, that I did not trust them. Nothing is said in the article about what caused the fire. It was starting to burn early Saturday morning, it said, but I remember it to be night time, that it was rather dark outside and that I woke up from it, but I suppose it is dark in January, around this period. Anyhow, here it is:

" SNOW HAMPERS FIREMEN Manufacturing Building in Germantown Damaged By Flames Fire early yesterday morning caused damage amounting to several thousand dollars in a building used by manufac turers at 79 East Wister street, Germantown. The firms which lost most heavily were the Allen Hosiery Company, on the third floor, and Joseph T. Pearson Sons, packing box manu facturers, on the main floor. - The fire to first discovered on the third floor and proved difficult to control because of the snow and ice which hampered the firemen. Fire damage was held to the upper floors, but the plants and stock on the first floor suffered considerably from water. Insurance patrol No. 4 saved a great deal of "property by spreading tarpaulins over stock' on the floors beneath the fire. "

/Jaimie

5. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

I now understand perfectly well why it is so difficult to find one's potential past self, if it was not hard already...

In my case ( and I am still not sure this lady is the one that I am researching on ) I first read in the article of her death that her name was Sadie Conlin. Her husband William Conlin. Her father Henry Wells.

Only now I have found a notice of her death ( that I think can only have been made by her loved ones ? ) that state this:

"CONLEN - Suddenly April 12, SADIE, wife of William Conlen and daughter of Harry and Mary H. Wells, aged 26 ( I think it says 26 but it is very poor quality, the rest very visible ) . Relatives and friends invited to attend funeral services ... "

Source: Evening Public Ledger, April 20, 1922

Sigh...

/Jaimie

6. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

hi, this was the big shot who had the big house and did not approve of you and your husband? Then he is one validation more that past life memories are real, great work! Thanks for sharing:)

Jaimie likes this.
  7. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

And the fire too (I first only read the last note), and your pl father's occupation with the memory you had of him, this is just great! A lot of validations, yes?

Jaimie likes this.
  8. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

Hi, yes I understand the hunger to find out more. It was perhaps difficult for the dad to make a living on his music alone and this could be why he worked with what he did to make enough money? A lot of artists has this problem too, so it could not be that impossible that he played on his free time and to make some extra cash on the side or if it was voluntarily as it was a passion of his.

Best Wishes
    Li La

Jaimie likes this.
  9. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

I think it is very difficult for many to try to find their past self and many give up, sometimes one has to look at the healing aspect of it, what the meaning, if there is any, is to remember this past life, what it has taught me and so on. I can understand the hunger as it seems that you are moving on the right track - have found your past self but need more flesh to the bone to convince yourself, perhaps. There was a longing/a remembrance to the South, was it not? New Orleans? Have you searched there as well? If Sadie's parents were only visiting Philadelphia and then only the father and Sadie lived there, then perhaps more answers to be found is in the past, in the memories from the South? Maybe that was where they came from?

Best Wishes
    Li La

Jaimie likes this.
  10. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

True about the healing process. Before when I would get flashes of depression pass me by I knew it wasn't me, it was not something in my own life happening externally or internally and I was always surprised when it happened.

When I was under meditation as my past self walking up narrow steps and looking at things inside the house (that later rang a bell with a Philadelphia house on Wister street) I felt the depression real bad.

There were also moments when I have felt her feelings of deep despair, like the heart is being wrenched.

Still, I can't believe, with the great, tender love I felt for my father and husband in that life, and that I felt in return, that I got sunk into these two state of minds, but I still think - if I was Sadie - that something must have happened six months ago to have caused her to spin into these two states of being very nervous and, or being depressed. It could also have been the response of a life long experience of being seen, discriminated as a colored woman (being of mix race) living mainly in the "white world" that finally got the best of her.

I feel gratitude that I have been able to pinpoint the depression, and the anxiety in not just what I think might have been my most recent life as someone else, but going further back in time to this life that ended in the 1920's. If it was not for these discoveries I would not know why these emotions, states of mind, come by so quickly to then leave so quickly again without any explanation.

I have searched with the right names this time around in New Orleans and have found a Harry and a Marry Wells as well as a Sadie wells, but while the married couple Harry and Mary are noted together in a newspaper I still can't be sure this was truly Sadie's parents. What is quite remarkable, though, is that there were noted, especially Mary, in both church and the theater world, but no photograph of her, so I can't say if it is her or not. She would sing, (just like I remembered my mother doing in that life and my father playing the piano) and in one small article, very small, the songs she sang was even noted.

There was a Sadie Wells (the same maiden name as Sadie Conlen had) and she died tragically along with 10 others (people registered as either colored or white, mixed up together) during a very bad fire in a theater in New Orleans. From looking at a picture of her I would say she was a colored woman with somewhat light brown complex, but when she died "my Sadie" was still only a child so it can not be my Sadie. It still does not, I suppose, leave out the possibility that this Sadie Wells knew the Harry and Mary Wells couple.

This actress Sadie Wells was married and so her last name could have been a brother or some other relation to Harry Wells, but I have not found a photograph of this man so I can't say if he looked alike to how my father looked like in my memories.

Thank you so much for caring about this : )

/Jaimie

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  11. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

What is still a mystery to me is that I can not find any engagement or wedding to be, wedding of Sadie and William, no matter how I spell the last name Conlin or Conlen.

I have searched in all states, in all kinds of ways.

I felt dumbfound when looking at my heritage to find the right Sadie, with no information that she was married.

I simply don't get it. If they were, why keep it such a "secret", in a sense, by not having any notification about it in any newspaper ? If they were married abroad, or at a ship abroad, or wherever, I still would have thought I would find something about it in a newspaper.

I suppose they were a private couple. ( By now I have read of all sorts of engagement types and wedding types, in people's homes etc. )

If they eloped - could this have been a reason why it was not in any newspaper before or after ?

If they eloped - I wonder why. Because they were too young, according to the parents ? Because they were not allowed to/not been giving a blessing for some reason ?

If anyone has bothered reading this and know what/how to find out these things please tell ? Anyone else who research about their own family or trying to find a possible past life ?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  12. KenJ

KenJ Assistant Archivist and Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Common-law marriages were common in times-past.

Jaimie likes this.
  13. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

I have a theory that I hardly dare to write which is that she was pregnant before they got married which was why they did not want the date of them getting married known in any newspaper thinking this baby would make it

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  14. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

I apologize for all the confusion with my search... I have erased several of my posts because I was looking at the wrong Conlens, Conlins, sorry about that.

I have now finally, finally (sigh and relief) found the right William Conlen (goes by William M Conlen) and the right Sadie Conlen as well. They were legally married, there is a marriage certificate after all (but still no note in any paper that I can find).

William M Conlen was drafted into the army, WW1 in 1917-1918. (This fit into my memory that my husband returned home from the war later to complain after a fist fight that he survived the war, defending his land only to come home to this, his dark, "boyish" humor).

I have found one disturbing note in a newspaper from 1918 about a Harry Wells in a Philadelphia newspaper (Sadie's father's name), but again I have to say I am not 100% sure this is Sadie's father (as his name is too common...too...) . He does fit into age criteria, though. What happened was that in 1918 At age 42 Harry Wells drinks shoe poison which lands him in the hospital and police considered it a suicide attempt. In my remembrance of my father his voice was - I don't know how to put it, that it took him effort before speaking, as if something had happened to his throat, voice, something.. but I don't know if this could have effected his voice in such a way

/Jaimie

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Li-la likes this.
  15. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Only wish to add this photograph from the page https://turnstiletours.com/immigrants-made-brooklyn-navy-yard-great-frederick-lois-riefkohl/

In my remembrance of my husband in that life I was sooo surprised when I saw him in navy clothes - with pants that very much reminded me of the 1970's rather than the something from WW1. Now I have found a photograph of those type of clothing, pants : ) Also it is from Philadelphia ! :)

[​IMG]

check out those broad pants.

How the men looked in these clothes were just like I saw my husband look like : ) I swear, I did not know this before. I have not watched a WW1 film in my life. from my later research I have found that the navy clothes would change their looks from different years during the war.

If my husband now was William Conlen then I have found that he was 100% the right William Conlen ( of all others ) and was drafted in 1917-1918 and this was how they were dressed during this time period.

I don't know, my heart just skipped a beat when I saw this photograph. Anyone else discovered the same response within themselves when seeing some type of uniform one did not know existed, and then found proof of it ?

Anyway. I just wanted to share.

Thank you for reading :)

/Jaimie

Li-la likes this.
  16. Li-la

Li-la Senior Member

That's great, Jaimie! :) I would see a husband to be in a past life dressed in what is called Khaki from World War 2. I agree that it was a special feeling when seeing a photograph of it. In my case, however, I think I had been subjected to khaki's before in films (motion picture). "Your" particular sailor-look is more rare, I think, in terms of being exposed to it, and as you write that the looks changes from different years. If I were you I can understand that this is a legitimate proof for you that your memory is just that - a true memory. I can't help but wonder what happened to your husband and if he was the William M Conlen you are searching on? Have you had any more memories while doing your research?

[​IMG]

Best Wishes
    Li La

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Jaimie likes this.
  17. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Thanks, but I feel like such a fool for having written before about the wrong persons... I had no idea it was such a common name and that - of course - they were relatives there as well in the same area ( at times even in the same neighborhood ) and they had inherit their first names too and all....

I am using ancestry which is really great, but still - shattered documents and misspellings/misunderstandings and one has to really get down to the bottom of things to make 100% sure one is on the right track ( researching on the person one wish to research on ).

I do too recognize the khaki's on the picture you posted from a past life, it does not hold any good memories for me, so I rather not go there, but I hope you have some good memories from it :) ( I was talked into going out on a date with someone looking like that, of course it did not go too well. I was painfully shy and did not wish to date, ha ha. I honesty don't know how guys put up with me in that supposedly past life, yet few of my closest friends in that life were male )

Yes, I have been able to finally figure out what happened to the particular fellow that I am researching on ( BUT I still do not know if he is "my" husband from that past life). Thank you very much for caring. After working on boats for some years he changed trade and worked on land, practical work. After his first wife's death he supposedly remarried ( But have not found their marriage license yet. He was listed in 1930 living on different address with wife (and radio ;) ), but died from consequences of either trauma to the head or an infection to cause what happened to the head, an autopsy had to be made, but it does not reveal if it was trauma or infection, just the plain cause, no history. He was only 40.

I still feel I need more information to know if he is the one that I was married to in my past life. I have found out more to show it is the accurate one, but I still don't know if it is all coincidences. I need to dig out more to really know. I have some loose threads hanging in mid air right about now. Hopefully, I will in the future have more answers.

All my memories, all my flashbacks has stopped now for some time. I have not received any while doing my research, maybe because what I was/is reading is all text, no pictures. Or it could very well be that what my soul wanted me to know about this life has already been told, who knows ? Or maybe it is evidence that I am researching on the wrong past life me ? I just don't know at this point. It is still very interesting to do this kind of research. One learns a lot, get a feeling of what life was like back then. I understand now why some are hooked on researching and creating family trees :)

All the best
    /Jaimie

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  18. Jaimie

Jaimie Senior Member

Hi, I am gonna close the book now on the potential past life I might have had in the 1920's. Thank you everyone for your support ( not just on this thread but on another I began when asking how to do research ). Before I do so I would like to summon it up:

After much search in old newspapers to try to find my old self I began focusing on a woman named Sadie who seemed to fit my profile somewhat. As I did my research I was often a stray because her name as well as her family and her husband's names were all very common, many people had those. It did not exactly help that their last name was misspelled in the article concerning her death. It was not until I went to ancestry.com where things got more reliable because by then I could focus my search much better to the address where she had lived and not just follow her traces but her family too.
    What I started to react upon was that looking for Sadie was very hard in comparison on how it was to look for other family members. Turned out that Sadie's name when she was a child of 5 years of age and when she was 15 years of age was Sallie ( her father's mother's name was Sallie too ).

I could tell by looking at the collected records of her family and her neighbors and everyone else living around that Sallie went to school about 2 years further than the other girls and boys did, but there was no information to where she had gone to school. ( I would later see the exact same thing about her future husband's school record ). At first I thought there must have been some mistake with her being named as Sallie, but it wasn't. So then I thought, OK -- I got this. Now I am going to find more on her under her childhood name, then, Sallie. It did not turn out this way. For some reason it was as if both Sallie and later Sadie was kept in hiding. It could be that some records, documents has simply vanished, or it could be some other reason. I don't know. What I can say is that she clearly stands out from the rest of her family when it comes to difficulty of finding out more about her.

Unlike her older brother Sallie or Sadie was nowhere to be found on either birth certificate or church records. Suddenly she was there - age 5 - living with her named parents Mary and Harry, their son ( her brother ) and her uncle Frank ( Frank being 2 years older than his brother Harry ). There was nothing I could find on her before this.

When Sallie was 17 years of age she became the mother of a son who was named Frank.

The only marriage license I found on her was as Sadie when marrying William when she was 19 and he was older. They were married one year after the WW1 began. In one report her husband was named the father of her son Frank, and she as the mother.

If the reports are true it means that Sallie/Sadie was unmarried when she had her son, which must have been a difficult scenario back then, I can imagine. What also seemed like a difficult scenario was that around the same age her future husband William got himself into some legal troubles, being arrested looking like he had been in a fight, his sentence was later heavily reduced.

There were later military records of her husband who was in the Navy and was a fireman. He wrote that he was financially responsible to care for his wife. Not only her husband was sent out to war, but her only brother as well. He tragically died, young, single, leaving no wife nor children behind.

There was a heavy fire where Sadie lived which broke out a very early Saturday morning, but there was no notification from any reporter that anyone had been hurt or died. Her father had had his business there, and after the fire I could tell he simply found himself something else to do. I could also see that her husband changed his trade and began working on the same working place as his father-in-law. By now, in 1920, Sadie was reported living with her husband, her son and her parents. 2 years later she was suddenly dead, age 26. 6 months prior to her death she had seen a psychiatrist in town who later said that she had worried about herself almost constantly and that was why he believed she had killed herself. He thought she suffered from anxiety and depression. Sadie had gone missing and was found dead in the Schullkill river in the month of April. At the same time the police had gotten reports about witnesses seeing joy riders on the river and that a person, that had looked like a small child, had been thrown overboard. The first claim of what had happened to Sadie was murder. Then it was believed that the joy riders had accidentally killed Sadie. Later a man was taken to court and found guilty for having thrown what was claimed to have already have been a dead child ( with weight on ) overboard. I can't help but wonder if Sadie saw what happened and tried to save the child, not knowing if the child was living or not, but perhaps assuming it was.

The first death certificate that went out said her cause of death was drowning. Her husband chose to leave her birthday as unknown, only the year of which she was born was filled in. Today I stand with the weird assumption that I have everyone else's birth dates within her family, but I still don't have Sallies and later Sadies. There were also other fields her husband chose to put question marks on, that to me were questions that were very basic. Upon the time of her death they had been married for 7 years.

As the notification about her upcoming funeral was in the paper it was noted to say she was the wife, and she was the daughter of so and so, but there was no mention that she was the mother of so and so. There was no mention that she was a mother at all. Why I don't know.

I could see that her son Frank was age 9 when she died. He stayed on living on the same address after her death. At some point his father remarried and chose to live very close by with his new wife and no children. After the death of his grandfather (Sadie's father) his grandmother moved. In 1930 son Frank, age 17, lived with his grandmother, not his father. A year later his 40 year old father past away. On his father's death certificate his wife stated that he had no known children. His second wife would live til old age. William came from a Roman catholic family and was buried in his family's grave, not on the same cemetery as his first wife Sadie. 2 years later son Franks grandmother dies and Frank is there with a relative to sign her death certificate. His signature at age 19 is the last that I can find on him. I sure hope everything turned out alright for him.

I can't say if I was Sallie, Sadie or not. I see things that rings a bell, several strong "coincidences" ( ? ), things in common between my own memories and what happened to Sadie and her loved ones, but that is as far as I can get. So now I close the book. Sadly most of her family died out within a surprisingly short period of time-- but maybe this is, from a soul and reincarnation look of it, because they belong together, one way or another.

upload_2019-10-17_0-1-50.png
    William & Sadie, the only pic I have found on them, apart and together.

/Jaimie