Hey, why is my kid speaking French?

Discussion in 'Children's Past Lives -Age 7 & under' started by luling, Mar 23, 2015.

1. luling

luling New Member

So, I feel like talking about my little one. She's four, and I've been observing some of the interesting and/or silly little things about her. I don't know if I've known her in a past life; maybe I'll get a sense of it later. Right now I feel like I'm just now getting to know this hilarious little person for the first time, no familiar feelings.

Intelligence -- pretty normal. No early milestones, does things when she's good and ready.

Personality -- We extremely rarely see her frightened, angry, or sad. She's happy, happy, happy. Her sense of humor is really unusual for her age. And scary things that would frighten most children don't affect her; she thinks it's all funny. She even chuckles in her sleep.

She goes to a church pre-k twice a week. Last year (age 3), she did not utter a single word at school (selective mute?) for four months, even though she loved being there. Her teachers said she didn't seem like other shy kids, she would sit there grinning in silence, like "you can't make me talk." She seemed to act like she was pulling one over on them. Then she just cut it out one day and started talking and kidding around like the other kids. All the teachers and staff didn't know what to make of this.

She's quite girly, but until age four she would say that she used to be a boy. She still hangs out with mostly boys but likes girl things.

When my mother-in-law passed, little one started pretending that her baby doll was her nanna. Maybe she had the sense that people come back as babies after they pass? I tried to ask her why she was pretending nanna was a baby and she just told me that I was the one being silly.

Anyway, little ones are funny. I always just wonder which of their quirks are traces of who they used to be, but who knows.

However ... The thing that really has my whole family puzzled is that sometimes she used to blurt out words/phrases in French. We don't know any French speakers in our area, she's with me almost constantly, no French being spoken at her school. (I actually looked into this.)

I first noticed it when she started using porquoi instead of why. That's one of the few words I understand and thought nothing of it, even though she actually seemed to prefer it to saying why. And she might have actually heard this word somewhere, since it's a really basic word. Then I thought about it and realized that she often said words that sounded kind of French-like to me, but I thought I just wasn't comprehending her toddler talk. So I started writing down a list of words, at least those I can understand well enough to jot down. (I won't bore you unless you ask) The way she uses these words is interesting. She's not saying them to be cute, they often pop up when she's struggling to express herself. As if she forgot the word in English.

These days she very seldom uses French words any more. Her English vocabulary has pretty much taken over. I suppose that's to be expected. I'm thinking about ordering a language-teaching game for her though, just to see if she has an aptitude for it. But I don't want to be pushy or make a big deal about it either, so if she's not into it I'll let it go.

Anyway, those are my rambling observations about me wee one. Can any of you relate?

2. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

These are definitely past life related. If she was still speaking French I would say take her to someone who speaks fluent French and she if she can converse with them. Maybe a high school or college French teacher? Since she is only 4 she may still be able to understand French. I think she was a boy in her most recent past life. Have you ever seen the TV show "Ghost Inside My Child"? On one episode there was a girl who never spoke for several years. Her parents took her to doctors and they said there was nothing wrong with her hearing. It turned out she had been a silent movie actress in the 1920's. She is now about 20 and has her own facebook page. If you want to know more send me a PM.

3. IrisG.

IrisG. Senior Registered

It is possible that the peculiar things you have noticed in your daughter relate to a previous life. Would you mind sharing more words and phrases she sais in French? While I don't think it could harm to let a native speaker try to talk to her don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out. The memories and skills carried over from a previous life might not present themselves at demand but only when the child is in the mood.

4. Carol

Carol Author

It might be interesting to get some basic French CDs and see how she responds to them. It is likely that she was a French- speaking person in a past life, probably her most recent one. That would explain her unlearned ability.

You might want to casually show her images of France--the Eiffel Tower, or other landmarks, and see if there is any recognition. The images, too, might trigger a past life memory. If so, see what she has to say, and please keep us posted.

Your daughter's confusion about her gender suggests that she did have a life as a male--either her most recent life, or another one that may have left a strong impression. I'm glad that this confusion resolved for her.

Does she have any other "unlearned" abilities, or has she made any statements that could relate to another life? As you can see through the posts on the Forum, these memories can manifest in many different ways in a child's personality.

5. argonne1918

There are many French videos on YouTube, including music videos. Also lots of pictures.

6. argonne1918

There is another family on here with a child who spoke French at an early age.

7. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

There are some darling French children's books you might like to get for her?

The Madeline books. They have been around for a long time, since 1939. They are tres charmant and have images of Paris, stories of the adventures of a little French girl.

There is a Youtube here you might like to show her and see if she likes it?

8. ZeonChar

ZeonChar Senior Member

I loved the Madeline books as a kid. That is a good recommendation. They also have animated them.

9. Blueheart

Blueheart Senior Member

Yes, I can relate. I wrote about my youngest speaking French here. It does seem, however, that she was not French, just French-speaking. Something to keep in mind if France does not fit.

10. luling

luling New Member

I'm in a hotel right now and don't have access to my journal, but she used a bit of French to identify colors, animals, and naturey things. My friend, who is Romanian but also speaks French, translated a bit for me. Also, when my friend spoke French to her (she was teasing her in French about her little boyfriend) my little one just grinned and chuckled back at her. Later, she told me that my friend was really funny. So I'm not sure if there's any meaning in that, but she did seem to understand my friend.

We look at various photos (not always for past life purposes, usually just for fun), but her interests seem pretty random. She's drawn to the ocean, chickens, and all things weapons-related. we've been having a lot of fun at the library lately, so maybe a clearer picture will gradually form.

11. argonne1918

It's nice you have a friend who can speak to her in French. :) Has she told you what her name was? The interest in weapons could mean she was involved in a war. Maybe WWI or WWII. Have you shown her any war pictures? She may have been French-speaking, but not living in France. The southern half of Belgium is French-speaking. Part of Switzerland is French-speaking. Quebec (Canada) is French speaking.

12. argonne1918

Let her watch some YouTube French videos and see if she understands any of it.

13. argonne1918

If you encourage her to speak French now, she may grow up to be bilingual which would be a good thing. Does your friend live nearby? Maybe she can have regular conversations with her in French. If she doesn't live close by, maybe phone conversations, etc.

14. shker

shker New Member

Thanks

15. Oscar42

Oscar42 New Member

Oh, that sounds weird as I have never heard of these kinds of issues in real life. Well, my 5 year old daughter also knows a few French words. Actually she has various friends at Phoenix pre-k that speak French. I think you should meet her friends to know if anyone speaks French or not!