History and Mission of the Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Rules and Guidelines' started by Carol, May 1, 2014.

1. Carol

Carol Author

Back in 1997, when my first book was published, and we all were discovering the internet, my husband Steve and I launched a primitive version (the best we could do at the time) of the Forum. We wanted to have an online presence to support my first book, Children's Past Lives, to find new cases, and to assist parents who were looking for help with their children's memories.

At that time, Pat Lawrence, an early visitor to the Forum, volunteered to manage it. It was a relief to have help and have someone else responding to posts and helping us with the technical side of it. Around that time, I first met Deborah Barr in San Franciso at one of the first workshops that I gave. She told me about her own past life experiences, and her own experiences with children's memories. We immediately became friends, and she became an active member of the Forum. When Pat stepped down from being the administrator, Deborah, a mother, artist, and art professor volunteered to take over. That was 17 years ago. Under Deborah's leadership, the Forum grew and developed, and a moderating and administrative team grew--all volunteers with families, careers, and other things to do, as well as managing the Forum. Over time, many people have volunteered to be moderators, and Deborah has had the support of an administrative team, some of whom have been with us for years and have volunteered thousands of hours of work to keep the Forum going, to help it grow, and to keep it in line with our mission: to provide a safe place for people to talk about reincarnation, and especially children's memories.

Over the years, I have trusted Deborah to manage the Forum. I leave almost all of the major decisions to her and her team. Steve and I weigh in when necessary, but I have always trusted Deborah's and the team's judgment in archiving valuable posts, culling those that aren't in line with our mission, and sometimes barring members we feel are rude, abusive, off topic, etc. (The guidelines and rules are posted.) We've had to do this, because, as you can imagine, a Forum on reincarnation can attract quite a diverse group of people, including those who would like to derail the discussion, people who may be looking for psychological help which we can't provide, those who are interested in other paranormal topics. But, for the most part, members have shared their very personal stories, have been supported with what they've experienced, and a helping community has been created.

Moderating a forum is a 24-hour a day job. Fortunately, we've had moderators from around the world who could offer this type of coverage, with relatively few lapses. Sometimes, however, comments are made that might seem inappropriate, and they aren't immediately caught. Since this is sensitive material, people may feel that their postings were not responded to, or responded to in a way that was not helpful, or they felt criticized. Those are just the types of situations the administrators need to be aware of, and we hope to address, to keep the Forum a safe environment for sharing.

So, if you have any concerns, please contact the administrators with them. The group works together to keep the Forum going, and to provide a community for exploration.

Thanks!

Carol

The Spiritual Design and Myna like this.
  2. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Thank you Carol for posting this. I believe it helps people understand the strict rules and hopefully feel safe to post here.

3. Deborah

I thought new members might enjoy reading this.

Myna and Looking Backwards like this.
  4. Deborah

As a side note - the forum will be 21 years old in September. WOW....and a journey it's been. I had to laugh when I noticed my message count [Message means posts on this format (Software)]. I had over 8,000 on the last one and that was after the biannual forum cleaning up every year. o_O

The strict rules are here to keep it on focus and safe. Thank you Steve and Carol for supporting such a place. A community where people can talk about their experiences and ask questions. Not to mention get get great advice and resources.

fireflydancing likes this.