how do you dig around for details?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Patty, Aug 9, 2000.

1. Patty

Patty Guest

If a past life memory involves being involved in a murder, do any of you know a way to search public records for information? Like is there a search engine on the internet where you can input roughly the years and whatever details you remember (like stabbing, etc) and hope to pull up some records?

This particular memory has no historic significance, so I don't think I could look it up at the library, for instance.

Any ideas?

2. lighten

lighten Guest

Hi, I'm quite interested in your question even though I'm computer illiterate there are more than one way to skin a cat and people's brains can be a search engine too. For starters where or what town do you live in and what town are the records you seek stored in?

3. Audra

Audra Guest

I agree, try to pull as many "details" from your memories as possible and then start with those. What area? What town? What time frame? Names? Anything in particular that comes to mind, write it down. Old newspapers are great - many state historical societies have them, and you can scan those for "details" like murders, etc. Also probate records or court records if you have a name/date to go on.

4. Catseye2

Catseye2 Guest

Yes, the first step would be to determine the name of the city and state in which the memory occurs and the time period. The next step involves finding out what newspapers were printed at that time in that area. Then you prepare yourself to spent many hours in front of a microfilm or microfilche machine at the city library where they normally keep copies of old newspapers on file in microfilm form. There is normally little or no fee to scan the papers, only a fee for copies.
    But, it will take a while to find your info unless you can pin it down to time and place. And you could wind up with a headache before your work is done. Those machines are useful but.....you better have quick eyes or you'll be there for a while.
    Good luck in your search.
    Catseye2

5. lighten

lighten Guest

I look up old old things at times and those records aren't on computers because no one wants to input things prior to 1980 for instance at the land record place. Another thing is motivation for murder. Maybe killed someone to gain land ownership and the name shows up on the title at some point.
    Just ideas and share what I know. These things do happen. I believe the lies are carried into the next life and the karma continues. Finding the murderer and putting them into regression. Which could do them a favor to unload that sin.

6. Peter V

Peter V Senior Registered

Are the "details" of your past lives imporant? Or are the lessons you have taken with you from those lives more important? Hehe, folks, there is a reason we have lives that are more influencial to us than others. It is because we came into life (this time) with issues stemming from those lives currently influencing us, and for us to deal with.

So that "drive" to find out facts, although interesting, may not be what is imporant. Try to find out what lessons need to be learned from the lives remembered to further your growth NOW. [​IMG]

7. patty

patty Guest

I just wanted to extend a thank you to everyone - you have given me food for thought, and some new avenues to explore.

8. Kateet

Kateet Guest

Peter is right. Its good to keep in mind that new issues are arising, new karma in the making.

People tend to think in terms of past life karma, as if their current incarnation is all about past karma, forgetting that karma is a constant.

Sometimes we are kind, gentle, understanding, other times impatient, petty, and harsh. We also have to remember when we are curious about the whole issue, that it can be a very bad idea to seek out past life memories we don't have. Not only do we risk "remembering" what never happened only to fulfill a desire, we risk spending time concentrating on issues that bear no significance in this incarnation. If it were important, we'd have those memories and we'd have what we need to remember.

Kat

9. sunday

sunday Guest

Yes, but sometimes people want to explore possible past life memories just out of curiosity...and research records out of curiosity...and there is nothing wrong with that at all. It's no different then being curious or researching anything else in life.

Patty, you might just consider posting your--or whoever's--"memories"...and getting some feedback that way. And I always like reading an intriguing past life story!

Sunday

10. Patty

Patty Guest

Well, I am all for concentrating on this life, and the challenges that are raised here and now. There are enough of them, just learning the simple things like how to really listen to someone, seems to take a constant effort.

That being said, I do have some sort of issue (if that is the right word) with attaining personal certainty that we are more than physical beings. I think this is not uncommon. For a long time I fell into the camp of "well, the answers to these sorts of questions have never been absolutely determined by even phenomenal thinkers and so I will just live in the moment as best I can" and I still tend to drift towards that sort of mentality. But I have occasional experiences, only one of which relates to a possible past life, that make me think that even if I can't find an answer for others I might be able to find my own personal certainty. I find opportunities like this particular past life memory, knocking and waiting. Whether it is an opportunity to find personal certainty or an opportunity to reaffirm my belief in the importance of focusing on this life instead - is another question.

Details? I was involved in a murder. I don't have many details about place or that sort of thing. I can extrapolate from the dream and guess where it took place in terms of what part of the planet, etc, but then it is no longer a memory but rather guesswork based on what the dream entailed. I think I was female. I woke from the dream and my first thought wasn't: "thank goodness, it was only a dream" but rather "yes, but that happened a long time ago." I still get chills when I remember that part of it. I am beginning to look into the possibilty of being regressed to uncover clearer details.

Anyway, I think both sides of the "verification" argument have merit. I appreciate the input.

regards,

patty

11. Peter V

Exploring past lives simply out of curosity could be dangerous. What if you were doing a regression (for fun) and found yourself being tortured, or being burned to the stake, or...

There is a REASON we don't remember some lifes. That reason is ALWAYS that we dont need those memories to further our spiritual growth right now. That is what is imporant, and should be the focus of everyone on earth. The evolution of their spiritual awareness and consciousness. Spiritual knowledge does not make you spiritual.

It makes no difference to know whether or not you woke up on August 31st, 302 BC, put on a red robe and walked out the door off to Delphi. What MATTERS are the issues that stem from that life that are currently influencing you. For example, perhaps in that life you were abandoned by your family. That may manifest in the present as a drive for family security or a fear of being "left out". In this case, it is good to know that this drive comes from that experience on earth. But when you simply dig for details, all too often you miss the point of reincarnation itself.

12. possible

possible Guest

I enjoy Peter V's responses as the best advice in general but burning issues like Is there such a thing as past lives and the need to be really sure there either is or isn't I read as a current issue among lots of persons. There is something making people upset over wether it is true or not true and religious issues at stake in the world. There are great leaders that take position against it as even true at all. And remembering things that never happened is another nightmare. How can anyone remember things that did not occur without lying? What exactly does lying to the self mean? How many people on this site are still skeptical and have questions? And what are those questions? It has been my experience that some of those questions are sitting out in the universe, unanswered, and expressed by others. The truth it is generally agreed upon will set someone free. Has anyone ever told truth only to meet with dispute and disbelief?

13. Peter V

Is it met with disbelief, or fear of it being the truth?

Many people take a stance against it because it goes against their translation of teachings they have dedicated their lives to. The truth, in the end, always wins out. And indeed, the Truth sets you free, but not until you're willing to openly look within yourself and APPLY that truth in your life.

It really does not matter if someone believes in reincarnation or not. For some people, it may confuse things. For others, it may clarify things. What matters most is how you interact with others and the amount of love you share with the world. Finding the method that most enables you to manifest love in the life of others, and embracing it, is what is important. Not whether or not you believe in reincarnation.

If the belief in reincarnation helps you to be a better, more understanding and loving person- GREAT! If your disbelief in reincarnation helps you to be a better, more understanding and loving person - AWESOME!

Remember, Jesus only had one commandment, "Love each other"

14. sunday

sunday Guest

Hey Peter,

"Exploring past lives simply out of curiosity could be dangerous?" But that is what many people who went to Edgar Cayce did! Some had problems to deal with, but others just wanted a life reading. I'm a bit curious how someone with a Cayce web site and all, can be so against exploring past life memories.

People have come up with really bad past life memories--read Woolger or Fiore--but it didn't kill them. In fact, all of the medical past life regressionists say remembering really bad past life situations often cure people of current fears and illnesses.
    My personal opinion on this is that anyone who does believe they had a horrid past life should only be regressed by a professional therapist.

Also, the common belief is that if you SHOULD NOT remember a certain past life, you WILL NOT. Cayce himself said more than once that certain past life material was being "blocked" from his view. Once, when doing a past life reading on himself or for his family, the old man who usually just handed him the book to read, actually stood there and showed him what passages he was allowed to read; he was not allowed to read the whole page.

Sunday

15. Peter V

I'm not against exploring past lives. Not at all. I'm against exploring past lives simply out of curiousity and/or to feed your own ego. Which happends all too often when people sometimes start exploring. There is one life Cayce lived that even he was not to know about until near his death becuase, as he told himself in a reading, if he was to know about it eariler it would have inflated the ego. This was a life he lived in Biblical times when Jesus walked the earth. I'm not against exploring past lives, as I've said, I'm only against doing it for entertainment.

Warmest Always,

Peter Vanderzwet

16. Deborah

Deborah Executive Director Staff Member

Hi,

Well, now my nose is up here...I must have had a minute to myself...LOL I have a question...Peter, you said --

"I'm not against exploring past lives. Not at all. I'm against exploring past lives simply out of curiosity and/or to feed your own ego. Which happens all too often when people sometimes start exploring."

Could you please define ego?

You also said ..."It really does not matter if someone believes in reincarnation or not."

You have used the word "believe" many times in your discourse. I am curious as to what your understanding is regarding the differences between 'belief' and 'experience' - especially regarding things 'unseen'.

Where does consciousness and the "expansion of consciousness" come into play for you, or does it? I mean isn't that the point?

Love,
    Deborah

[This message has been edited by Deborah (edited 08-21-2000).]

17. Peter V

Hi Deborah,
    You're absolutely right. The raising of consciousness and your awareness is the point. That is why we're here. Becoming aware of the little details of your past lives *may* only fuel your ego, which never helps you to raise your awareness and consciousness because you're consumed with yourself (not you, I'm just giving an example).

What I mean by "ego" is that part of us that wants us to believe we are separate, more important and more advanced than everyone else. Some people who may not understand the purpose of reincarnation, may find that they were, for example, a King or an important ruler in a past life. This may lead them into developing an ego and being consumed with finding out as much about that life as possible. This is where people sometimes miss the point. That individual did not recall that life so that he/she may find a source of entertainment and "wood" to fuel his/her ego. That person recalled that life because issues from that life were currently influencing him/her in the present experience. The fact that he/she was a king of England, or a begger, does not matter one bit. Yet people may use this as the center point of their interest in researching past lives. "Who was I?", instead of "What do I need to learn about myself to further advance my growth now?"

It doesn't matter who you were or what you did. It makes no difference if you were the King of England or beggar. What is important is, as I have said, what issues have been brought with you into this life that need to be dealt with?

I'm just saying that when people regress for entertainment, they can loose the entire point for regression and it can sometimes be a stumbling block, instead of a stepping stone.

As for my the term, "belief". I was saying that it really doesn't matter if people believe in reincarnation or not. Consciousness can still expand if you don't believe in reincarnation. Reincarnation is only one aspect of our true reality and doesn't play as big a role in our advancement as other Truths to manifest in life - like Oneness.

What is my experience with reincarnation? I've meditated since I was 5 years old. During one meditation when I was around 9, I saw myself as I lived during my most recent incarnation. That experience ended and I Graduated (I use the term "graduated" instead of "death" or "died") in 1872. I have identified the issues that stem from that life that are currently influencing me in the present and I am working on them.

18. Patty

Patty Guest

Hi everyone,

Thanks for more input. It was nice to come back after a break for a few days and see some of you batting ideas around.

Peter, you said:

"Exploring past lives simply out of curosity could be dangerous. What if you were doing a regression (for fun) and found yourself being tortured, or being burned to the stake, or...
    There is a REASON we don't remember some lifes. That reason is ALWAYS that we dont need those memories to further our spiritual growth right now. That is what is imporant, and should be the focus of everyone on earth. "

I assume this is meant as general advice. I just wanted to be clear that, personally learning about a past life is not something I am considering doing "for fun" or simply out of "curiosity." I don't really feel comfortable sharing personal details of my life, but if your advice was directed primarily at me than you may have misread something I said, read motives into it that aren't there. Still I appreciate the caution, you make a good point.

Second, I am not clear how you are distinguishing between lives that are remembered vs those that are not. Certainly the dream that I had was not something that I was searching for, it fell into my lap rather unpleasantly. I think this would thus cause it to be categorized as a pastlife that was remembered. Now if you are saying that we should not make efforts to try to recall additional details, then I wonder where you draw the line. Any attempt or energy put into thinking about, meditating over, dream journaling , etc - pastlives could be considered trying to dredge up additional details that are best left forgotten. Regression may be further down some spectrum, or it may not be, and in any case if you feel that it is okay to explore in certain ways but not okay to explore in other ways, I would be interested in why.

Finally, the last two sentences that I included from your quote are stated as absolutes. Certainly it is en vogue in the new age community to think that the goal of everyone should be spiritual growth. And some (by no means all) NDEers come back with that conviction as well. Personally I am not certain what is meant by the idea of spiritual growth, and the idea that that should be everyone's goal. What is Bill Gates' purpose, for instance? He has had an amazing impact on the world, but not in a spiritual way. But perhaps his purpose for this lifetime had more to do with advanceing technology than with advancing his spiritual growth. I believe that I can't know what is right for you. I am not even certain that I can know what is right for me. I believe the search may be more important than the answer.

hope this made some sense,

patty

19. Peter V

Sure did, Patty. And yes, my comments were not directed towards you, but were made in General.

I believe that it is absolutely impossible for someone not to be working on their spiritual growth. After all, without Bill Gates, hundreds of thousands of people would not be able to help each other with their growth from all over the world via the internet. That is, in my opinion, a major contribution. I also believe that everyone on earth has the same main goal, and the issues and lessons they are working on are there to help them realize it. So, in other words, everyone has their own lessons to learn, in their own way, but everyone is here for the same reason. I believe that reason is to come into FULL AWARENESS of your Oneness with the Creative Force/God. The lessons you choose to work on in life are there to contribute to your advancement towards this goal. Many paths up the mountain, but everyone gets there eventually in their own way.

In regard to remembering details of past lives. I believe it is all in the INTENT. IF your intent is to work out specific problems and issues you're currently dealing with, then I believe, with patience, it is perfectly fine to seek the details that help you to make sense of the situation.

"The spirit of your actions multiplies the result"

Warmest Always,

Peter V

20. sunday

sunday Guest

Hey Peter,

Well...I guess my difference in opinion with you is simply that I don't think reincarnation should be seen as a strict type of "religion" with rules everyone must follow. I think reincarnation is life itself, and life is full of humor and mystery. Exploring a past life out of curiosity is no different then exploring any other spiritual or historical topic out of curiosity.

By saying the exploration might feed one's ego too much is something one can say about exploring ANYTHING. If one is inclined to be egotistical, then one may certainly be exploring past lives for egotistical reasons. But they will learn a lesson--hopefully--from doing so, won't they?

And that is what life is about in my opinion--living and learning. It's not about rigidly trying to control what one studies and how one studies it...in my opinion that sort of control is rooted in neurotic fears or egotism itself. To tell others how one believes they should study or explore reincarnation is saying either: 1) Everyone should do and believe as I do and believe...or...2) Everyone should be afraid of what I'm afraid of, and if you're not, something terrible might happen to you!

To me, reincarnation is both one of the most intriguing topics in life, as well as one of the most humorous!
    And I will explore it in any manner I choose...with NO FEAR.

By the way, welcome to the forum, Peter.

Sunday