How does reincarnation explain dementia?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by GMiller, Dec 18, 2012.

1. GMiller

GMiller New Member

Hi,

As an open-minded person I am willing to consider many theories regarding the afterlife and am very interested in past lives and reincarnation. However, the main issue where I have not been able to find an explanation for is how the mind and the brain can be separate when physical damage to the brain can cause conditions such as dementia. How can someone who cannot remember anything anymore choose their next life? And how can the mind be indestructible when it can be damaged by conditions such as this?

2. BriarRose

BriarRose Senior Registered

I think it is not the mind that is indestructible, it is the soul. The soul of the person with dementia would be intact, while the mind deteriorates. In the "between lives state", where the next life would be planned, the person's faculties would be completely restored. It would be interesting to explore the question of karmic reasons for dementia, as well.

3. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

It is my belief that there is a difference between the physical body/brain and the mind/soul. Dementia is the malfunctioning of the physical body/brain, and while it may falter, the mind/soul, which is the one making the choice of lifetimes, functions completely without the body/brain. It is not the mind which gets damaged with dementia, but rather the brain. The mind/soul is energetic and not limited by physical limitations nor susceptible to injury or malfunction.

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Our physical brain can be compared to a radio or television, which picks up and transmits information from the "ether", the soul or the universal consciousness. The main point is that, like a radio or television, things can go haywire and the information can get garbled. But, this does not mean that the source of the information is wrong. However, it does mean that the soul may be temporarily cut off from the physical world—at least until the condition ends by cure or death. But this doesn't only apply to cases of dementia, for all of us are physically handicapped to some extent or another. The very nature of our physical brain is like having a governor, which restricts how we take information. The very fact that savants are able to do much more than we are normally capable is evidence that such limitation is normal. When we die, those limitations are suddenly lifted and we feel as though we are suddenly capable of knowing all and connecting with everyone.

5. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

This has reminded me of a fact I don't think many people know. There are blind people from birth who report they were able to see when they had an NDE. How can this be explained if the eyes are totally useless?

I think it's the same with the brain/mind question. I totally agree with Nightrain in this matter. After all the research I've done I'm completely sure brain and mind/consciousness/soul (I think that mind and soul are different things too but that's another story), are different and independent entities. The brain is only the physical organ that makes possible our soul to get in contact with our physical world. If the brain is damaged, the soul can't communicate properly but it's still there (and in many cases even more active, I'm pretty sure, though we can't see it), as it happens in the states of coma or dementia. It seems someone with Alzheimer doesn't remember anything, but as soon as they die they'll be free and the mind/soul will be as powerful as before.

6. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

While visiting my paternal grandfather who had Alzheimers back in the 1980's I had a sudden mental "flash" that said he was "out of his body". He lived until age 90 but the last few years did not recognize anyone.

7. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

This is a question that we all wonder. I think the memory is always stored, just like our past life memories are stored, and the memories of the spirit world, yet we can't unlock them.

Although this is slightly off topic, there was, very recently, a study that took place that gave people who were thought to be in a vegitative state an MRI scan. A lot of these people where able to respond to questions simply by thought. If they though "yes" or "no", it would show by the activity in certain areas of the brain.

They were also asked things like "imagine that you are playing tennis", and the activity recorded from their brain shows that's what they were doing. I believe this shows that our "personality" goes somewhere else while we may be in a unfortunate mental state in our physical life due to a, say, tragic accident, for example.

The 'brain v soul' topic is always a hard one to crack or give theories on because there is so many arguments for both sides. It's not just memory loss that can puzzle us. Other damage that can be caused to the brain is also just as confusing.

A documentry I seen recently was about two men/brothers in their 30s and both of their brains started to age backwards. I forget the exact name of the disorder they had, but I believe it was very rare.

The best way to view it, IMO, is that no matter what state our mentality is while we're connected to a brain in this physical world, we are always the same person. Think about yourself as a 10year old. You're not the same person now as you where then, but at the same time you are.

8. Ghost of Gumby

Ghost of Gumby Hi, Friends : )

Intellegence is poorly understood by modern science. What causes cognition and consciousness is still a mystery, even with all the knowledge about the structure of the brain. It is a postulate that consciousness is separate from the physical brain, so if this is true then our intellegence probably is carried within our conscious being, separate from our physical being. Our conscious being may manifest as anything from a mere low level mode of existence, to a supraconsciousness. It seems that memories do continue beyond our mortal expression, so that consciouss being goes on, seeks renewal and development. I think that brain damage may be a particulary difficult situation to overcome, and may affect the functioning of the consciouss being. But I think eventually this damage is overcome by some mechanism of healing.

9. Eowyn

Eowyn Wrought out of steel

Yes, I was referring to this when I said "a more active soul". I've recently read that when the body is not working properly, something impels the "soul" to get out of it, as it can do a lot of things outside. Why the body keeps living, I don't know, but I'm sure there's a reason we can't understand. Maybe it's just "part of the plan".

10. Yellow Roses

Yellow Roses New Member

My grandfather lived to be 100. For the last 15 years of his life he didn't know his name. But the strange thing was, he could recount incidents that happened on the ranch in Texas when he was 2, and sometimes would go into monologues about one thing or another. It always struck me as strange. It would certainly be interesting to do a study to find out if there are karmic issues in cases like his.

Before dementia got the best of him, he was absolutely brilliant, and I wonder if the two are related, opposite poles of the same phenomenon.

11. argonne1918

argonne1918 Senior Registered

Short term memory is the first to go as we get older. I can remember things from age 3 but now I have trouble remembering people's names, which can be embarrassing at times. When my father had Alzheimer's he would talk about things from the past and get them mixed up with the present.