• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

How Far Back Do We Go?

Susie said:
What is consciousness in living things which are not human?
For those who believe ALL things have consciousness, what does that mean?
Okay, - I am going to blame this thread for this latest memory coming back to me. I have been totally stunned for a day now, trying to sort through this memory and verify through my own meditations.

I said it in the past and it is hard to express to others what it was like to wake up at the age of 18 - and have no memories of myself, my history, my identity or my my life. It was as if my childhood became a past life. My relatives all had stranger stories to tell me about my childhood and the odd things I would say or do. Saying goes - when as an adult, put away the childish things of the past. I took that literally.

I went to visit one of my Grandmothers for an interview process. I worked it Doctors and this was their advise. I would set up interviews and show up at 'strangers' houses to try and probe my unconscious mind for memories. When I pulled up at this old woman's house - I got this felling that there was a missing tree. The feelings and emotions of that missing tree were overwhelming. I met with my Grandmother alone as the Doctors suggested and memories slowly came back. Then I asked her about that tree. She was shaking her head and telling me she thought that would be one memory I wouldn't let go of. She told me the story and I was shaking my head in disbelief. I thought I must have been an old child.

According to what my Grandmother told me: That as soon as I could start walking - I was hugging this particular tree. When I started talking - I started explain to my family that that it was 'my tree' as in 'my grandmother' or 'my Dad.' I had a relationship with this tree. I had told my family that the 'tree' had came to greet me in this life - and had been 'my tree' in a past life.

For years - it wasn't - lets go to my Grandmother's house. It was 'lets go to my tree's house.' I would jump out of the car and bypass my Grandmother to give 'my tree' a hug before her.

As my Grandmother told it - everyone got concerned about it when I started telling her things she did when I wasn't around. She had fallen and cut herself working in the yard. I asked about her cut (which was hidden) and she wanted to know how I knew. I told her my tree had told me. It had seen her fall. It saw everything that went on in front of the house. My Grandmother didn't believe in reincarnation and started believing that the tree was possessed by an evil spirit trying to seduce me into Non-Christian beliefs.

I came to her house one day and it was gone. I freaked out and couldn't believe my Grandmother had my tree cut down and dug up. To me and my childish mind, it was like she had murdered my best friend. I never forgave her for that as a child. When I visited her house - I would always bring up that tree and remind her how mad I was still at her. So when I showed up at the age of 18 - and that was the first 'sore subject' brought up - she apologized to me and admitted the true reason she had chopped it down was jealousy. She told me that it bothered her that I seemed to love that old tree more than my own flesh and blood. She felt she had made amends to me and asked me to never bring up the subject of that tree again while she was alive, so I never did. I couldn't remember it anyway - until yesterday.

I can recall my conversations with the 'spirit of the tree' as well as my conversations with my family afterward. I was totally convinced the spirit of that tree reincarnated itself in my Grandmother's front yard for the sole purpose of meeting up with me again from a past life. The 'spirit of the tree' was an old and dear friend to my soul and my heart.

I can recall having a 'dream' where the spirit of the tree came to me and told me the truth about why it had been chopped down. I told my Grandmother after she did chop it down that she could lie to herself - but I knew why she chopped it down and I was never going to forgive her for it until she admitted the truth to me. So - when I had a Doctors statement with an official diagnosis of retrograde amnesia and everyone in my family was pulling together to follow the Doctors advice to help me recovery - and the first thing out of my mouth was my resentment over the loss that tree - she said she knew there was some sort of spirit involved and that I was never going to forgive her until she admitted her jealous act of cutting down a tree.

So, from that experience I have a mind to believe that the spirits of trees, plants, insects and animals have a life, a conscious and can act in a way to help us with our own lessons of love here in this world of ours.

DK

dking777 said:
This is what my 'spirit' friends had said I had done when they passed. They said that they were caught up in a transition stage and that 'prayers' from the living on this side helps them in that 'blind and dark' transition that takes place until they radiate up - and back to a higher spiritual wavelength. So praying for family and friends (I was told) helps them as well as ourselves in dealing with the pain of the loss and grief.
DK,

this stayed somewhat in my mind because I've read this somewhere else also. But do you know which effect praying has on them once the spirits are beyond the transition?

Charles Stuart said:
Susie, I believe I HAVE answered your question... Personally, I think even my PC has a "consciousness", and what it usually "thinks" is: "now how am I going to screw this guy up this time???" :D
Charles, are you pulling my leg? :clapping:

What I meant is that the consciousness of others and of the "Greater One" is not something that we can access. Yes, certainly there are means by which I might "capture your thoughts", but I cannot have full acess to them just as you cannot have full access to mine.
Agreed- we don't have access to each other thoughts, they are ours alone. By consciousness, I mean that innate ability to move forward in one's spiritual lives, to be on a "conscious level" with our thoughts, behaviors, actions, etc. I believe you might be talking about a much deeper consciousness.

Have you read the "Is Reincarnation Real?" thread in the "Science of Reincarnation" section? That pretty much sums up what I believe, and, I also believe, is pretty well supported by all the available "evidences"...
I recall reading it quite sometime ago. Perhaps it's time for a recap. :)

Consciousness cannot be measured, as it holds no "mass", and therefore is not accessible to any currently known "science", but its effects are perfectly visible.
No consciousness that can be held in one's hand or measured by science. Just because it's not seen or physically felt does not mean it's not accessible to us.

Overseas said:
this stayed somewhat in my mind because I've read this somewhere else also. But do you know which effect praying has on them once the spirits are beyond the transition?
Hi,

I am having to look back many years and reconstruct the events in my own mind. I was often puzzled dealing with these 'six' particular spirits - because five of there human history were lost to my memory. They (the five) told me I had prayed for them but I could remember doing so.

The one that I could remember - I prayed for her night and day until I was satisfied that her spirit was reunited with her 'soul body.' (Some religious mind may look at that as the 'Christ body.')

After I was satisfied with her spirit being secure in her journey back home - I didn't look back. I went on with my life.

So - as far as the 'prayers' having an effect on them once they were 'in the light' - I feel it established (or helped to establish) a very strong spiritual, pyschic and karmic bond between us. A part of my prayer was - I was not going to be fully satisfied until I saw their 'light' (soul) shinning in my own eyes again. This is what led me to the 'reincarnated' spirits in new bodies. The mind, persona and life was different but the heart and soul was the same and I knew what I knew. They were in their own form of denial that goes with reincarnation. They had no memory of a past life. So - my own personal prayer was answered though the mystical nature of 'God.' I have no idea how meeting them again helped them on a human level. I am sure that on a soul level it had its benefits.

When I look back on the period from 1978 to 1983 - when I was the most active dealing with their spirits in a pyschic sense - their spirits were constantly thanking me for the prayers I had sent them and asked me to continue praying for them.

My prayer during that time was for them to find the 'guiding spirits' that would led them to the knowledge they needed to know for a safe journey home. (though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death; for thou art with me.) I walked through that 'valley' during my NDE and I knew there was 'evil' out there to create stumbling blocks on the journey back to the light.

There was a time when the 'spirits of my friends' were coming to me when I wasn't sure it was really their spirits. I felt that 'evil' spirits could be coming to me to try and get me to stop praying for them. All is fair in love and in war and there is a conflict between 'good' and 'evil' in this world as well as the spirit world.

So I had several of my friends tell me that my prayers were open the door for God to send them 'angelical messengers' and teachers that helped their spirits come to various forms of knowledge dealing with their next incarnations.

That is why I felt it was important that others knew that praying for their loved ones could help them acquire knowledge and skills for their next incarnations in that conflict that is going to go on between 'good' and 'evil.'

I met one 'reincarnated' spirit in 2006 and we walked for a short time together. I just got to know him in his new body. It was a very unique experience, but I felt he was very enlightened when it came to mystical or gnostic matters. He was young and dealing with his own personal issues - but yet he walked with insights beyond anyone I felt I had met in my past. I felt that since he was so young (21) that the foundation was there but he hadn't had the time to build the structure he needed to comprehend the mysteries he had sight of in his own heart. I felt part of his own conflict on a human level was the fact he had sight of so many mystical insights.

I like to think my prayers had something to do with giving him the mystical insights he walked with inwardly - but - I don't know for sure.

All I do know for sure was that during that period when their spirits were out and about - they all told me that my prayers for them were helping them in the moment as well as in the future.

The physical body may die and fade from our sight - but the love we carry in our hearts for our loved ones - never dies. It just grows, expands and changes course through time.

DK

Hey Dk, thanks for replying

Got a few other questions about...

dking777 said:
The one that I could remember - I prayed for her night and day until I was satisfied that her spirit was reunited with her 'soul body.' (Some religious mind may look at that as the 'Christ body.')
Some people see spirit and soul one and the same. But how do you see soul body and spirit? As the mental case in which our conscience, our thinking (= the spirit) houses? How can they be separated?

About the praying I think it's two-dimensional too, in that we are drawn irresistibly though unconsciously by our (departed) friends.

And about...

dking777 said:
That is why I felt it was important that others knew that praying for their loved ones could help them acquire knowledge and skills for their next incarnations in that conflict that is going to go on between 'good' and 'evil.'
You talked about evil spirits blocking the way to the light and disturbing (or trying to) the prayers. How do you see the concept of evil and good? Do you think it's like black and white, something there will always be, a natural phenomenon that has its manifest in spirit world? Or do you believe all evil is eventually intended to evolve into something good?

Regards

Overseas said:
Some people see spirit and soul one and the same. But how do you see soul body and spirit? As the mental case in which our conscience, our thinking (= the spirit) houses? How can they be separated?
I had a "near death experience" when I was a child in diapers. Afterward, my family said I became very mystical inclined. My concept of the soul is through the perception I had afterward dealing with an 'entity.' When I was four years old - I was identifying family members by their moniker. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa and such. I was defining in my young mind my relationship with these physical beings. This entity was constantly manifesting itself to my sight and I would have conversations with it. I wanted to identify it so I could relate the relationship I shared with 'it.' This 'entity' is the one that gave me the word "soul."

In the research conducted by many individuals - there is a feature common in the testimony of many experiencers. Dr. Raymond Moody is the first to do research on this subject.

Despite the light's unusual manifestation, however, not one person has expressed any doubt whatsoever that it was a being, a being of light. Not only that, it is a personal being. It has a very definite personality. The love and the warmth which emanate from this being to the dying person are utterly beyond words, and he feels completely surrounded by it and taken up; in it, completely at ease and accepted in the presence of this being. He senses an irresistible magnetic attraction to this light. He is ineluctably drawn to it.

Source: Dr. Raymond Moody on the "Being of Light"
This is the 'persona' of light whom I encountered in my first NDE as a child. It was with me during childhood and I had many encounters with it as I grew up. It is the one I identify with as 'my soul.' In a biblical sense - it is the part of me that is created in the image of creation.

Spirit: An incorporeal but ubiquitous, non-quantifiable substance or energy present individually in all living things. Unlike the concept of souls (often regarded as eternal and usually believed to pre-exist the body) a spirit develops and grows as an integral aspect of a living being. This concept of the individual spirit occurs commonly in animism. Note the distinction between this concept of spirit and that of the pre-existing or eternal soul: belief in souls occurs specifically and far less commonly, particularly in traditional societies.
Source: Spirit - Wikipedia
The soul (according to my understanding from experiences) never leaves heaven. It never leaves the "Light Realm" of creation.

During my experiences (and I have found many other testimonies of people who claim the same thing) there is a merging into as 'one' complete being during a stage in the NDE. When it is time to return to the physical form - my spirit departs and returns. I have often said that leaving here was having an 'out of physical body' experience while leaving there (the light realm) was like having an opposite 'out of soul body' experience.

I had many NDE's as a child and OBE's. In the OBE's - I would go to the local hospital in my hometown and watch other people pass over. I would fly with them to a point where they were reunited with their own 'soul body' or 'being of light' as Dr. Moody refers to it. So I intuitively knew that as long as the spirit of my girlfriend was coming to me in dreams - her spirit wasn't in fully reunited with her soul yet. My prayer was answered a year after she passed when I had a vision of her spirit standing next to her own 'soul body' or 'being of light.'

So if Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith died at the very same moment and had a NDE and both came back talking about an encounter with a 'white radiating being of light' - it wouldn't be the same 'being of light' they encountered. It would be each individual soul body their own spirit was derived from.

When I was 28, I had another 'near death experience' due to a relapse of my medical conditon and in that experience - I met up with my own 'soul persona' or 'radiating light being' and I encountered the departed spirit of my cousin as his spirit was reunited with is own 'soul persona' or 'radiating light being.' So - in that experience I saw two distinct and different 'soul persona's' and 'radiating light beings.'

So that is what I was taught in my experiences. The spirit incarnates into the flesh with a set goal in mind. The soul pre-exists in a perfect state within the realm of light and never fully incarnates into the flesh directly as the spirit does. The spirit is the one caught up in the lessons and drama of human life - while the soul is caught up in the essence of our divine image created in the image of creation.

Just my perception of it based on my experiences.

DK

dking777 said:
When it is time to return to the physical form - my spirit departs and returns. I have often said that leaving here was having an 'out of physical body' experience while leaving there (the light realm) was like having an opposite 'out of soul body' experience.
Thanks DK, now I understand your notion of spirit and soul body :thumbsup:

Overseas said:
You talked about evil spirits blocking the way to the light and disturbing (or trying to) the prayers. How do you see the concept of evil and good? Do you think it's like black and white, something there will always be, a natural phenomenon that has its manifest in spirit world? Or do you believe all evil is eventually intended to evolve into something good?
I have to be honest with you and say I am still trying to dig through my past memories and come up with an answer for myself about the nature of 'good' and 'evil' when it comes to the spiritual realm.

When I was younger - I developed a parable of a football sort of understanding. As far as making it back to the "Light" again - I felt there were 'forces' or 'spirits' who were opposed to the Light and did maneuvers to block our safe passage. As far as humans and the spirits that we are I don't feel their are 'evil' spirits that can incarnate into the flesh of the world. At the core of all humans is the 'inner spirit or light' that is derived from our Creator. In the essence of our true nature - we are not and can never be 'evil.' The problem I have found is that while we are in a state of ignorance (lack of true spiritual knowledge) then our consciousness (thoughts) get weighed down with 'evil' thoughts. That doesn't contaminate our spirits with evil and turn the spirit into an evil spirit. It just contaminates our consciousness on the mental plane.

I feel that evil only contaminates the 'mental' plane of consciousness with thoughts, actions and deeds. So - feel I am inclined to lean toward the same theory that there is a cleansing or purging process through 'karma' where there is a balance sought for the sake of the 'human conscious' or 'mental plane.'

Socrates (in Plato's early work) argued that which we call evil is merely ignorance.
Source: Evil - Wikipedia
On a human and mental level, I am inclined to believe Socrates and the Gnostics who also follow this line of thinking. On a human level, I feel all people who are incarnated into the 'flesh' and 'bone' structure of a human vessel have an inner spiritual heart that is by design 'free from evil' and evil goes against it's true design and nature.

From my mystical experiences, I have come to believe in 'diabolical dark spirits.' These 'things' do not have a soul and can not incarnate into the flesh as we do, yet they are like the parasites of humanity that feed on human misery. In my opinion (thus far from my observation of my own memories of them) these things are pure evil and are beyond the hope of redemption or transformation to evolve beyond anything other than what they are. The are by their own nature opposed to love, joy, harmony, peace, and good will toward others.

One thing I can recall as a child was the sight of three 'children' when their 'demons' came back into their young lives. I was with an 'angelical being or messenger of light.' I asked what happened and wanted to know why these innocent children where now plagued with the company of the parasites. I was told that they 'demons' that came to them were from a past life. They where scheduled to battle their demons all over again in their new incarnation. They were 'demons' from a past life.

I was told that these 'things' are not something our Creator created out of love for us. These things were what 'humanity' had created for itself in blindness and ignorance. In a parable sense, these spirits were the 'children of humanity' and not the 'children of God.' (I don't know that 'children' is a good world because of the association. They are 'soul-less' creations that humanity creates in ignorance while absent from the light. There is no good in them what so ever and they are wicked to the core. My understanding thus far is they can never evolve into anything good.)

I do believe in a process of 'spiritual warfare' that involves us incarnating into the world to battle the 'demonic spirits' we have a hand in creating due to our state of 'ignorance' and a part of the scheme contained in the 'karma' we are bound to from one incarnation to the next.

When I was a child, I was trying to explain my insights to my Grandfather with a parable sense of understanding. I came up with a boomerang parable. The 'spirit' was like a two sided boomerang. (The two tips being the spiritual twins of one body.) The 'yin-yang' created a perfect balance and when propelled through time with motion - then the design of the spirit would always bring the 'spirit' back to the 'soul' who had thrown it or placed it into motion through time.

I felt the 'spirits' of all human beings were designed with a trajectory that would propel it back to the hand that had put it in motion. (The soul.) It was a natural order by design. So I felt all human beings were on a journey back to the Light. Where an individual mental mind on the mental plane was in that journey - was a whole other story.

So I felt that all spirits incarnated into the flesh of humanity would (through a process of reincarnation) evolve back to the 'good' which their soul was designed. I felt the 'karma' that pulled us forward was the inward desire, hunger and thirst for the 'true knowledge' (gnosis) that would free us from the bondage of ignorance and the evil that is born from it.

Gnosticism, an ancient form of Christianity that flourished in the 1st to 3rd centuries, rejects doctrines such as original sin and emphasizes transcendence through inward, intuitive knowledge ("gnosis") of the divine spark in each individual.
Source: LA Times Antiquity's Gnostic Church Is Enjoying a Renaissance
Thus far this is the opinion I have formulate but it could change if more memories of direct encounters with the messengers of light come and change my perspective.

DK

Hi DK,

If I have not been commenting on your posts it is not because I have been ignoring them, but other members and myself often don't comment when we have nothing to add or subtract... :thumbsup:

Hi Overseas,

According to what I believe by what I have learned, there is no such thing as "devils", only what I like to call our "less enlightended brothers and sisters". We ALL evolve...

As to your question regarding "Soul" and "Spirit", I have shared my opinion on this in the new thread that Nightrain started under this title, if you would like to read it there... :thumbsup:

Indian said:
Well, I've read one past life memory seemingly from early days, perhaps before sapiens, but not long before, say 250 000 years ago. Can't remember what book it was in, but the guy remembered being an ancient human before fire was known. They lived in a desert like enviroment and killed other humans for food, without thinking anything about that. To prepare a corpse for eating, they covered it with sand and came back a few days later - a little easier to eat, being softened by bacteria and the sun :(
Ramtha, an ascended master has said that modern humanity goes back 300,000 years. He last lived in Lemuria about 35,000 years ago.

Overseas said:
I recently found an article that sort of outlined a Hindu concept and I felt it was an expression of something I tried to express since childhood.

Generally there is a great misunderstanding about the characteristics of the individual soul and Supersoul, or jiva-atma and param-atma.
Some transcendentalists claim that the soul and Supersoul are absolutely one and the same whereas others claim them to be different.

The truth, however, is that the individual soul and Supersoul are two different entities which are similar in their spiritual natures but distinct in their quantitative function.

Source: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOUL AND SUPERSOUL
and,

The Katha-Upanisad states that although the two birds are in the same tree, the eating bird, which has to face the reactions of his activities, is fully engrossed with anxiety and moroseness as the enjoyer of the fruits of the tree, while the other bird, who is the witnessing Lord, maintains His transcendental position without being affected by the material atmosphere. If somehow the individual soul turns his face to his friend the Supersoul, the suffering living entity becomes free from all anxieties.
Source: TWO TYPES OF SOULS
In my NDE's - when my spirit turns it back on the material word and faces the 'realm of light' again - this is who 'greets' me. This 'supersoul/oversoul' is unique to my own personal spirit. In my experiences - I have seen other spirits face their own personal 'supersoul/oversoul' that is unique to them. This is the 'supreme mind' that carries the 'hologram mind' of design in a transcendental state which never materializes into the physical realm - but yet - it is always with us.

I don't know how popular this concept is in the Hindu culture but it was something I ran across and related to - from my own experience. I feel this is the same concept Christians are trying to embrace when they look at the "Christ conscious" as a 'unison mind' that carries the 'hologram mind of design.'

The 'separation' is the illusion that comes about through a mental process. The Hindu culture refers to this as "Maya."

I am not a Hindu - nor have I ever been exposed to their religion, but when I read it - I can related to this concept from my own personal experiences.

At least it is a religion that does focus on the 'truth' about reincarnation cycles.

I just ran across this writing this week and thought it related to this post. I am no expert on the Hindu religion so maybe I am reading it different from their expression - but this does ring a bell of truth to me as it related to my own personal NDE's.

DK

We go way back.......

Just a fact: The Oldest Skeleton of a Human Ancestor was Found and reported by National Geographic and Jamie Shreeve --Science editor.

Scientists today announced the discovery of the oldest fossil skeleton of a human ancestor. The find reveals that our forebears underwent a previously unknown stage of evolution more than a million years before Lucy, the iconic early human ancestor specimen that walked the Earth 3.2 million years ago.

Hiya Deborah :D ,

I'm really interested in this topic, because it touches upon a very philosophical discussion: if only humans can reincarnate then when did we become human?

I agree that we go waaaaay back, but - as I already pointed out in a post above - would these 'specimen' count as humans? They're biologically speaking more apes than humans, so if we we do not acknowledge animal reincarnation then we must set a limit sometime later when the ancestors become more human than apes?

: angel:D

Sunniva said:
I'm really interested in this topic, because it touches upon a very philosophical discussion: if only humans can reincarnate then when did we become human?
You guys know how much I love this topic, too! And, I've often wondered where the line of distinction is drawn, myself. As you probably know, scientists have recovered a complete fossil of a

that they suggest is also an ancestor. Physically, I do believe that our species is only an arbitrary definition made by other humans, and that we may have begun our lives as fungal mycelium brought to earth two billion years ago. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I know that I'm a fun-guy!
As mushroom expert, Paul Stamets, says, they are a sentient species more closely related to animals (and fish) than other major life groups. Although I'm not sure that I would agree, I do find his comparison of their communication system with the neurons of the human brain to be quite compelling, and their benefits to human kind to be quite understated. His belief is that the first life on this rocky earth were fungal structures as tall as 30 ft.; and that they extracted calcium from the rock and created soil for the first plants.

Getting back to our animal cousins, many of us have observed human-like behaviors that were once thought to be only human, and I find it more and more difficult to believe that animals don't have souls. Even plants exhibit fear and memory as evidenced by connecting lie detectors to them. Could it be that all things being energy are connected to the collective subconscious? Could we have originated or evolved from individual particles of photon energy? Who is to say when we became self-aware entities?

Please forgive me, if I have wandered beyond the practical limits of this forum. I certainly don't have any memory of having been a fungi or a lemur. But, for that matter I can't really remember my most recent incarnations for that matter. However, when it comes to the point at which we became human, I think we are dealing with arbitrary definitions, which can't be nailed down.

I don't think that any of us believe that we were given souls as soon as we became naked apes on the 5th of June in the year 254,725 B.C.E. Nor, do any of us think that it is within our means to remember anything specific from times older than several thousands years. To do so would serve no practical purpose towards our growth as spiritual beings in this world of linear time. I do believe, however, that we are here now to learn what we can now, and that the past is something to recognize, if only to remind us that we are also spiritual beings of light.

I was tempted to sign off with a tongue-in-cheek report, that we are home-schooling our pit-bull, Diesel, in Philosophy and Greek literature. But, alas, he wants to take up the violin, instead.

LMAO

Our species is believed to have originated about 200,000 years ago on the African continent. Could we have integrated our essence with another species - I don't know. If you want to read a thought provoking statement about humans, animals and our spirit essence, read what Seth said about it (you will have to search for it). I don't give the Seth materials any more validity than other channeled sources but I neither discount the channeled sources - I find them interesting. You can read some of the Seth material at Google books.

But I do wonder if there are any valid memories going back much further than 200,00 years.

While an interesting topic, my focus tends to revolve around the relationships I develop in whatever body I am inhabiting in that lifetime. For me the "meat suit" provides less interest than the "reason for being there in the first place."

With that said, I have had akashic meditations that have included almost ape-like feet and included alot of undefined fear, anguish and still some love. Large, open areas were to be avoided while small, hidden holes/caves, etc were safe.

Back