How has PL Knowledge Helped You?

Discussion in 'Past Life Memories' started by J Rainsnow, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yea tanker. I can relate. Sometimes I think I've said too much and I have sleepless nights too. I'm not sure remembering is such a good thing but I can't deny that I have learned something from it. What's life without pain?

tanker likes this.
  2. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

I don't know, Jim. Depends on the amount of pain, maybe. There seems to be such hate for us German soldiers even in the present - We surely don't deserve that? Not all of us fighting soldiers anyway. I never hated my enemies, just did what I was told to do, as well as I could. I weep for all the lives I took. Even for those my Kameraden took. Heaven knows I have reason enough to hate Russians, but I refuse to do that. If I hate them, they win. They have no power over me now. Maybe this is all I can learn, not responding to hate, but today is a hard day.

3. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Its easy to paint the Nazis in broad strokes tanker. Its easy to see them as moustache twirling villains. Look at Where Eagles Dare or Indiana Jones or whatever. They are the real life equivalents of Ming The Merciless in popular culture. Look at the Nazi propaganda machines influence on the Empire in Star Wars. Nazi hate is considered acceptable and permeates the culture. Unfortunately that means that nonNazi common soldiers such as yourself are tarred with the same brush. Also, your armies lost. To the victors go the spoils.

Just remember that in 2018 Germany is a leader in the European Union. Over seventy years ago that would have been an impossible dream. It was a fractured, subjugated Europe at war with itself. Nowadays Germany lives in relative peace with its neighbours. Times have changed.

The other day I was having a drink with a friend and a Gordon Ramsey video came on You Tube. My friend started spouting sectarian hate. I found his attitude completely parochial, outdated and damaging. Even today, in the Republic Of Ireland, some people hate the British. I have no such ill will towards them. Particularly British women like Kate Beckinsale...hubba hubba. ;)

I just see my friend as being closed minded and judgemental and unfortunately a hatred of a race for the sins of their forefathers is unavoidable in some circles.

I was a soldier, you were a soldier and we are relating to how we feel about that. That's the truth of our experiences and, in your case, if you encounter people that are blinded by over seventy year old hate pity them. They having no idea that they are perpetuating the problem just like their ancestors did at Versaille.

Our experiences give us a larger picture. That's means we now have the opportunity to be the best men we can be. Pity those among us who can't see what we see, they are the blind leading the blind.

tanker likes this.
  4. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Thanks for that, Jim. I'm in tune with your sentiments. You're right - there should be no place for closed and judgemental minds in this day and age. Otherwise what has the human race learned? Listening to the news these days, very little.

I haven't seen Star Wars, so can't comment. I do watch the war films but mostly they're a joke. They don't even do most of them well. I think I've only seen one film out of all of them that's got the right sound of a rifle bullet hitting flesh. You don't forget that. (Although I forget which film it was!)

As you say, to the victors go the spoils. I feel that in destroying every last trace of the Third Reich so much of our story is lost too. I don't even know if it's worth reviving, sometimes. Our enemies have taken away so much of our self-respect and dignity. It's broken me, that's for sure. Broken in the past, broken in the present. Where do you go from there? Was this PL helpful? I am no judge.

5. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

Yea tanker. Its seems to me that the leading nations of the world need a "bad guy" to define them. Many people get caught up in that rhetoric. In that sense it is no different to the propaganda levelled at the people in the early 30s in Nazi Germany. Its just democracies doing it nowadays therefore they are considered 'good' by the majority in the western world.

Here is a clip about Star Wars and Nazi Parallels:

I've only watched two war films about the fights I fought. The first, Michael Collins, was like a live action cartoon. The second, The Wind That Shakes The Barley, was much better although maybe a little too modern in some ways.

The opening of Saving Private Ryan resonates with me. It encapsulates the organised chaos of war for me. I didn't fight in WW2 but I appreciate what Spielberg was trying to convey. I think its true to a soldiers experience ( although most of the battles I remember were on ancient battlefields ).

Did you read the Wolfe Tone link I gave you in another topic? I don't believe that any enemy has the capacity to rob ones self respect and dignity. They can treat you like an animal, they can enforce their will, they can threaten those you love, they can do numerous degrading and disrespectful things, but so long as you remain true to yourself and your principles they can't rob you of everything, they can only torture and kill you.

I say hold your head up high and feck the begrudgers.

tanker likes this.
  6. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Jim, I did read the Wolfe Tone link, and a courageous man he was indeed. You're absolutely right, of course in what you say about staying true to yourself whatever the enemy might do. I pray not to be put to the test on that.

I think when I was talking of losing self-respect and dignity I wasn't thinking so personally. I was thinking how continuing post-war attitudes to my Kameraden have painted them in the worst possible light, rather than allowing a single one to be a hero. Some were as much heroes in their way as the Allied. I feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall when I hear some of the things said about us in general, and the way we're portrayed in films. Tarred with the same brush is how it is for some of us. If we try to salvage what was our pride, they call us Nazis. I witnessed the making of an achievement on an epic scale, from ordinary men. Some of it brainwashing, admittedly, but a lot of it uncompromising discipline and organisation that made us one of the finest armies the world has known. It's apparently shameful, all the same. That's what breaks me.

I've often thought about the nations needing a 'bad guy.' My theory is that the only way nations will ever act like brothers is if we had some alien threat from outer space.

Star Wars and Nazi parallels! That was an interesting clip. I can see what they're on about. Certainly the rallies - looks like the film actually tries to reconstruct what we call the Cathedral of Light from 1938, with the parallel beams going up into the sky. Not having seen the film, I don't know if that was supposed to be a good thing or just evil. Helmets and Stormtroopers too? Why was this parallel chosen? Surely even the Nazis aren't the worst thing anyone could conjure up?

In my mind, I hold my head up high. In real life, I'm too scarred for that. I had indoctrination of a different sort.

7. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Tanker, I think I understand your feelings. I'm pretty close to WWII memories in this lifetime where my father was in the Pacific conflict in the Navy, my first father-in-law a soldier in the Rainbow division in Europe, and my current father-in-law enlisting as a youth at war's end where he ended up in the weather service of one of the branches. None spoke disrespectfully of their opponents that I recall although I recall my first father-in-law's reaction/expression as he related coming upon a "concentration camp" and the emaciated occupants. My mother's family were recent immigrants from Germany so I was somewhat confused as to who were the "bad guys" - as if atrocities were only done by our opponents. The newsreels of the day did all they could to define us as the "good guys" and it will take some time for all of that to dissipate. Personally, I'm pleased to see how well both Germany and Japan have regained a prominence and respect within my lifetime.

tanker and briski like this.
  8. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Good to have your understanding, Ken, thank you.

Well, I have utter contempt for whoever was in charge of concentration camps, whoever they were. There's no excuse for any of that side of things. I can't find words for that.

But it's true that there were atrocities on all sides, Geneva Convention or not. All sides were bad and good. I daresay the common European soldier I was trained to kill was much the same as me. I just don't want to be called a Nazi.

9. KenJ

I often get caught up in the conversations and forget the specific topic of the thread. I had meant to comment on the OP because my experiences in "remembering", although brief and unsubstantiated, gave me a broader outlook than my current experience presented. It helped me through some of the dark-times knowing that there was a reason for what was happening.
    I find it strange that none of my experiences or "memories" are specific enough to be scientifically proof-positive that reincarnation is real, my experiences seem only being able to fit within few such beliefs. I have tried several times to be regressed in order to get some kind of verification and have asked my guide, and deceased people that were close to me when alive, to help me gain further insight - only to feel/understand that I have all that I need.

Speedwell, Jim78 and tanker like this.
  10. briski

briski Senior Registered

I recently read Deborah's reincarnation webpage. Has so much clarity on her previous lives, quite impressive considering self regression doesnt work for me and im unable to unlock any memories, I had a vision of a fountain in ancient times briefly, however i dont trust that as i have a keen interest in anicent civilisations and been to a lot of places like that.
    And ive also gone off the OP..appolgies

11. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Perhaps you have all that you need for the moment, Ken. That doesn't mean to say it will always be like that. You might have one of those times when the floodgates open and it all comes pouring out so fast you wonder if you should even have started. That's mind blowing enough in itself, and you might not feel the need to verify it to anyone. You already sound like a wise man to me.

12. Jim78

Jim78 Senior Registered

That can't be helped tanker. If Nazi Germany had won the war how people view it would be very different. Its just the way life goes.

As it stands the Nazis and their armies can be painted in two dimensional ways. A couple of weeks ago I came across a colourised picture of a concentration camp survivor and its was like a slap to my face. To see the inhumanity the Nazis had for other souls is still shocking all these decades later. That's what your up against. The industrialised murder/genocide they committed may have been unknown to you and many other soldiers but the Nazis made it very easy for everyone to point and say "look what they did. They have to be evil". To look at it any other way means individuals would have to look within their own hearts and ask themselves tough questions about themselves. Much easier for post war propaganda in media to paint them as purely evil much like the Empire in Star Wars. It means nobody outside of that regime had to take personal responsibility thus the cycle of war and bigotry continues.

I don't know if you've ever seen the film Starship Troopers:

It is a satire on fascist propaganda. It has shallow characters and a gung ho attitude to the extermination of another species. They were aliens so it was easy to dehumanise them. By the same token Germany dehumanised the Jews, the Allies dehumanised the Germans etc.

We two are very lucky tanker. We've been given the awareness of past lives. That means we can look beyond nationalism and propaganda. We can see the truth that we are both human and we've both done atrocious things in the name of God, destiny and country. We know we can no longer point fingers at other people and judge them by narrow standards. A whole new world opens up. One in which we can recognised the brotherhood and sisterhood of all humanity without the need to be tied down to an ideology.

Perhaps you remember your life as a German soldier to bring to life for people the struggles and heroism of men like you.

Its been a century since the War Of Independence in Ireland and on the centenary of 1916 both sides in that conflict, as well as civilians, were honoured. Maybe its too soon for Germany to join the world to honour its dead patriots because WW2 is still within living memory. I'm sure once the last of that generation dies out people will become more objective about the common soldier...but I doubt the Nazis will be seen as anything but evil. The Nazis really are a huge lesson from history but that doesn't mean the voices of the ordinary German will be forever silenced. Give it time.

tanker and AlexD like this.
  13. KenJ

You are generous with your comments tanker, I wish that I felt wise, I'm barely wise enough to recognize any of the bounds of my ignorance, but thank you anyway. My memories from seventy-five years ago when I recalled being separate from my body and the experience of having my guide warn me of an impending "accident" are more paranormal than reincarnation experiences. My memory (imagination?) of being part of a group levitating a stone from where it was quarried, with the use of sound, and other things that I just knew to be true have added a little breadth but no depth.

Speedwell and tanker like this.
  14. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

You give some kind and thoughtful answers to other people on this forum. That's a gift that's worth having, for whatever reason.

I don't understand the paranormal, but those sound meaningful experiences. It's what we do with our experiences that counts, I think, rather than whether we can offer a reasonable explanation of them (even to ourselves). I'm still hoping for more, anyway.

15. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

If Nazi Germany had won the war, given what I know now, I wouldn't want any part in it. The only positive thing I could say is that it would be ordered and tidy, and the trains would run on time. I guess we'd all run on time. Five minutes early, that's what the army taught us as far as punctuality was concerned.

The industrialized murder/genocide carried out by the Einsatzgruppen was purely evil and deserves everything people say about it. No-one could dispute that, whatever side you were on. I just wish that people didn't mix them up with the whole of the Waffen. I knew Waffen-SS men who didn't know what was going on (at least up till '42). That doesn't mean they were all unaware - I don't believe some were - but there were also some who remained innocent of that. Same with atrocities. Some Waffen-SS were responsible, some weren't. However, we were all guilty of large-scale killing, which is what I can't forget.

No, I haven't seen Starship Troopers. The trailer looks ugly. Wonder why so many aliens look like insects ... I don't kill insects either, these days. Might make an exception if they were that size and had designs on my liberty.

I like your view of the way humanity could be. If our feeble words could make a difference it's worth the present pain. I could perhaps bring to life some of the struggles of a German soldier. I saw much heroism on the field, but can't say I did much that you'd call heroic. Most of the time I was just trying to survive.

It's certainly ironic that the Nazis won't be seen as anything but evil for all time. The stunning aesthetic they created remains, as intended, in the consciousness, and will now forever be associated with all the terrible things they did. If they'd had the appearance of the simple thugs so many of them were, I doubt if anyone would even remember them.

Jim78 likes this.
  16. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

Tanker, sci-fi movies often portray enemies as arthropods, particularly insects or arachnids, because they are possibly the animals that look the most different from human beings, hence they give an immediate idea of something alien. They might even be peaceful races but they are immediately seen as something "other" than us, giving a reaction of disgust or fear to most people. I think that's why they chose that design in the movie, it's a bit of a cliché that always works. It's basically the same as when a fascist country dehumanizes another country emphasizing the differences between their ethnicities. This way they are no longer humans, but humanoids with a different skin colour and features.

Jim78 and tanker like this.
  17. briski

briski Senior Registered

Dr Who's Daleks were based on Nazi's apparently

tanker likes this.
  18. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Thank you for that, Alex, it's a good explanation.

AlexD likes this.
  19. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

They seem to be everyone's target. It's looking like we need another thread here!

briski likes this.
  20. briski

briski Senior Registered

Does seem that way!