How I've come to view...

Discussion in 'SCIENTIFIC and ANECDOTAL research' started by Rod Turner, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Rod Turner

Rod Turner New Member

...the question of reincarnation.
    I have no supernatural belief. Everything is perfectly natural, maybe just hidden from human perceptions and instruments. That said I have come to accept reincarnation as a working hypothesis. I don't think it can ever be "proved" in the sense that we can prove the decay rate of isotopes, etc.
    My acceptance of reincarnation is rooted in my growing disdain and lack of respect for modern science. For example, when looking at the Creation/Evolution controversy I see a huge load of cheap, petty ego in the mainstream scientists defending random mutation/natural selection as the driving force of evolution. I am certainly not a Creationist, but I cannot see how the standard theory of evolution could have possibly given us the current world. As an outside observer I see both side s of the debate defending their own existential fears.
    Since it is impossible to know the ultimate truth while we are alive I just don't worry about it.
    I conjecture that some type of reincarnation phenomena is the real driver of the evolution engine. Mind is not contained within our skulls. There is a teleology to life and the Universe.

SeaAndSky likes this.
  2. SeaAndSky

SeaAndSky Senior Registered

Hi Rod,

You've definitely hit the nail on the head in terms of current materialistic theories of "evolution", and overall I don't find much to disagree with in your critiques, though I am definitely a believer in divinity and divine guidance and control in terms of whatever process brought us to where we are at this point. And yes, it is headed towards a definite end/goal.

In terms of natural vs. supernatural in the reincarnation process, a lot depends on where the line is drawn between the two, which could be very difficult in many cases. Technically, I believe that only the divine can be referred to as "super" natural--i.e., beyond or transcending the created universe (or multiverse if preferred). In terms of involvement in the reincarnation process, this leaves room for a lot of realms, entities and possibilities between the levels of the physical universe we currently know about and the transcendent and supernatural deity. However, once again, I believe the entire process is ultimately under divine guidance and control with, once again, a definite end or goal.

In terms of knowing ultimate truth, that's too big a topic for a short sentence, but it is certainly true that our knowledge and understanding is circumscribed by our limitations. What and how much we can ascertain/realize/perceive beyond that is an open question, though I also believe in limits. I.e., only an infinite being can truly comprehend an infinite being. The finite cannot truly comprehend the infinite, though it can hold/reflect as much of it as its limits allow (the old glass of water vs. ocean analogy).

On your concluding statement, as you will have perceived, I also believe the whole thing is directional and has a goal, and that "mind" is not restricted to "brain". I likewise agree that reincarnation relates to the process of moving towards that goal, but the particulars of the process are certainly open to debate. Thanks for your thoughts!

Cordially,
    S&S

3. fireflydancing

fireflydancing Registered

S&S,

I hope you don't mind, but what do you mean by finite...

Can I deduce from your words that we as humans are finite beings?
    Do you refer to our bodies or to our souls?

and

Could you explain to me what you mean by this analogy?
    This is not what the upcoming quantum physicists are trying to explain. I don't ask this for a debate on physics because I am not a physicist, but I want to understand how to register your remarks in my mental map of belief systems.

Tinkerman likes this.
  4. Rod Turner

Rod Turner New Member

Has the idea of Morphic-fields, ala Rupet Sheldrake, ever been discussed here? If I were betting on the final truth, I would bet on a universe-wide information field as the source of teleology and form-creation we see now.

5. Rod Turner

Rod Turner New Member

I suppose I should say That my statement "I have no supernatural belief" mostly means I have rejected the anthropomorphic "god" of my childhood religious programming and now view the Universe as Divine in and of itself.