How much of us is actually us?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by briski, Nov 12, 2018.

1. briski

briski Senior Registered

For example if we have been reincarnating since the beginning, are we the same conciousness from that beginning? Would briski of 1000BC have the same conciousness of briski 2018? I think possibly, I think along the lines of 60% of you is the conciousness, 40% is the new body. The thinking aspect is done by the same conciousness. What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. AlexD

AlexD aka Shadow

I am the same consciousness as two millennia ago, plus all the lessons that came with the experiences of my lives until now.

Speedwell and briski like this.
  3. tanker

tanker Senior Registered

Well, briski, I've only had one other life I remember, so maybe my answer isn't too useful. But I'm very aware of my consciousness being mainly the same. There's a small percentage of attitudes due to military training in that particular army which are not my present ones, and I try to put aside - but they do surface if I'm not vigilant ...

briski and inhaltslos like this.
  4. Ritter

Ritter Banned by Moderators

I think there at least a couple of parts to a soul. Essentially a higher and a lower self. The lower self is essentially physical and in relation to basic instincts, needs and whatnot. Every human on earth has a lower self. I am not quite so sure everyone is in possession of a higher one. Or it could be that a lot of people are not much in connection with their higher self. I can't say I am sure, it just seems most people are so shallow and unintuitive. Nearly blank and almost impersonal harddrives, like a work computer. I would be very interested to see one day, when science delves into this seriously, if there is any connection with C.G Jung's theory of cognitive functions, or the MBTI personality trait of Intuition, to be exact. Intuitive people are almost always deeper than thlse who are not. I don't think I have ever met an Old Soul who isn't intuitive. Unless they have misreported on a test and gotten the wrong result. The big weakness of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is the self-reporting part of the test. As a theory of cognitive functions, it is highly useful for taxonomical purposes and division of labor (for which it was intended).

5. Thyme

Thyme Active Member

Hi

I still have the same consciousness but with differences thanks to the things I learned in past lives. What Ritter says is very interesting, because some time ago I had to do a test of 16 personalities where I discovered that I am INTJ (I am intuitive) right now I am studying the enneagram and I have discovered many things about my current personality. I want to investigate the enneatypes of my past lives and compare them.

I think we have the same consciousness. I feel that consciousness is altered for some reason.

briski likes this.
  6. briski

briski Senior Registered

Personally I dont know about this upper and lower self thing, I just think really we are talking about conciousness and physical body. Which remains together until death. Upper and lower sounds like part of us is in the astral plane or some other dimension im not sure about that theory to be honest.

7. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

Been thinking on this one for a while in the context of origins where spirits having significant differences from each other giving some bases to what is observed with people. Modern people are a real disappointment and a constant source of frustration for me. Back to the MBTI to be an NF type in this world is hard and even more so as an introvert in an excessively extroverted society.

Ritter likes this.
  8. CanSol

CanSol Senior Registered

For me, all I know is that I'm practically the same person that I was in both World Wars and Nam
    Same character, moral standard, fighting spirit (being too stubborn to just give up)
    But in my case those lives are all closely linked to each other and I basically still am them so that could be a reason as to why I haven't changed much

Ritter and tanker like this.
  9. Ritter

Tell me about it. Been burning lots of energy through life emulating extroversion, sensing and thinking. INFJ in reality. Acting as something you are not burns much more energy than being/living like one is supposed to. It is a good exercise for rounding out one's character, but it is a very tiring thing. Left home with absolutely nothing and spent quite a while living in various cities working. But me and my wife bought a farm a while back. Thankfully. Cutting down on time spent in civilization and amongst people that we did not choose to be around. It does wonders. The army is the only time around people where I felt good about being with others constantly. I really don't like urban life or urbanites. It's so far removed from nature that it must eventually experience a backlash. My children will all have the option of living debt free and building their own houses on the land, and living off of it, when they come of age and marry. Got 17-18 acres presently, but will expand. If they want to, I want my children to have the chance to escape being part of the destructive rat race. Perhaps they will want to try it, though. Perhaps it has gone so much to seed by then that it will not hold any attraction, I hope. But one is usually blind of the virtues of one's upbringing and home until one is fully adult and has seen something of the world. Being a farmer also gives the ability to survive, if the world as we know it falls into chaos and stops working, something which I know will happen, sooner or later. War or no war. Being an unarmed, rootless, consumer-tenant wage slave, as I was until I bought my way out, means almost certain death in such an event. Living hand to mouth like that. Finding the meaning of life in cheap chinese electronics, alcohol, drugs, degenerate "music" and "reality TV". Part of my plan is to build log homes and rent out cheaply and humanely to good families who desperately wants out but can't afford to do what I have done. Times are just getting worse and I figure there are those who needs a break. Meanwhile, it would finance maintenance and building the place up to become entirely off grid in all things, while still costing so little others could live traditionally with only one person per family working outside home, part time. Having two wells and one freshwater spring is a good basis for creating a little village. Perhaps a grand plan. But the hardest part is already done. I have worked in construction, so I know exactly what to do and how. Saving money and finding the perfect spot while living a life I hate with all of my being and being someone I am not... That was hardest.

No, it's not a world for an Idealist NF. No, sir... The simple rural life is far better, in my opinion. I figure there is no God but Mammon in the city. In the far off forests and valleys, though, God feels near.

This is certainly off topic, I guess. Anything I said are my opinions and feelings. I hope it doesn't amount to preaching. It's simply what I want for me and mine.

BenjaminFR likes this.
  10. Ritter

Yeah. I am still the same. From my first life until my last. Age and outer attributes being the major differences.

briski likes this.
  11. There and back again

There and back again Senior Member

Being around extroverts is exhausting physically but also ruinous to the spirit being depleted it takes a toll which makes me get dark minded at times. I deeply loathe the rat race and having to go through so much trouble just to exist these days, I really want is a bit of the Shire to myself where I can be at peace and live at my own pace.

Angie Brown, tanker and Ritter like this.
  12. Thyme

Thyme Active Member

Tbh, I'm still the same too. I did things in the past that I wouldn't do now, obviously, but I have similar thoughts and I haven't changed so much since the first life I remember in 1450.

13. BenjaminFR

BenjaminFR Senior Registered

That's very interesting, what you mentioned Ritter, regarding the MBTI test. I passed it with a psychologist during my business studies and I came out as very balanced between ENFP/INFP. The psychologist took me apart after the session and asked me "what are you doing here in this business school" :D I agree with you, Nature is the only place I feel at home. It takes very special circumstances for me to cope with living in Shanghai and its 27 millions inhabitants

tanker and Ritter like this.
  14. Ritter

INFP, huh. I am married to one and another is my best friend. It is no doubt the strangest type there is. I bet you have built some kind of underground temple where you do the Zen cat thing. The funny thing to understand about INFPs (I collect INFPs) is that there is nothing to understand, because there is no consistency. Like very kind and pleasant cats in human form.

BenjaminFR likes this.
  15. briski

briski Senior Registered

I just did a MBTI test, out of interest and got
    ISTJ-a which after it explained it was spot on!

16. Ritter

Hm! Unless you self-reported wrong, that makes my theory leaky. But. The small tests are kinda flimsy. One that is comprehensive and measures your cognitive functions and takes into account whether those are learned/acquired or inherent to your nature is usually more spot on. I often score ENTJ or ENFJ on the simple tests, but I am most definitely introvert and my major cognitive function by far is Ni (introverted intuition).

How close to the middle were you on the N/S (no pun intended) dichotomy? I.e. how strong was your preference for Sensing?

17. briski

briski Senior Registered

18. Ritter

19. briski

briski Senior Registered

It kind of ties with a lot of my traits though

Personality type: “The Logistician” (ISTJ-A)
    Individual traits: Introverted – 60%, Observant – 62%, Thinking – 51%, Judging – 61%, Assertive – 85%
    Role: Sentinel
    Strategy: Confident Individualism

20. Ritter

Those are all moderate to strong preferences. Interesting. What a real cognitive functions test would tell is to what extent you also have the ability for intuition, despite the preference for sensing. Some people are pi.... Really bad at both. But if they have a preference for one over the other, despite being worse than a drunk kindergartner, it means they are still this or that personality types. Someone with an IQ of 75 could be an INTJ and not much of a mastermind at all. Catch my meaning?

OR a person can literally be in possession of a full spectrum of strong cognitive functions, whereas some are just good at one or two, and others literally none. Which personality type you are depends solely on preference, not ability. What I am interested in is specifically the cognitive functions called Extroverted Intuition and Introverted Intuition.

Normally, I find that people who are aware of past lives are of average or above abilities and intuitive. It usually means they test as N. The above is my hypothesis for why you stick out. It does not mean I am right, it is just a pattern I have noted over the years. The N correlation. It could mean your abilities for Si/Se (introverted intuition/extroverted intuition) take preference over the Ni/Ne (introverted/extroverted intuition) functions, while it says little or nothing about your possession of a highly developed intuition. I strongly doubt you lack that part.

Or, I am plain old wrong. I just don't think I am. Rommel called this elusive highly developed "intuition" by another name. Fingerspitzegefühl. Finger tip feeling. If you recognize that and know you have it, you have the thing I mean. It means a variety of things, but let's try to find a few...

* Creativity
    * Instinctive grasp
    * The ability to turn information into easily applied knowledge
    * Spiritual affinity
    * Sixth sense (or 7th, 8th, 9th etc)
    * The ability to see through people or read between lines
    * Gut feelings and hunches
    * Being able to make non-linear jumps of intuition.
    * The ability to brainstorm

And so on. The list could be longer.

Miyamoto Musashi had his own theories on that elusive "it", which are quite interesting. He called those who have it "Real Human Beings". Quite excluding, perhaps. But I bet they had no sensitivity counseling back in the Sengoku Era. This inner spark or feel for things, intuitive understanding is what he was getting at, though. For a westerner, it is most easily found in what many call the japanese national epos, "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. A truly great book which perfectly portrays the time and culture of Japan at its best, the Sengoku Jidai, although they didn't know it at the time, amidst the fighting. The Book of Five Rings by Musashi himself is harder to understand. I didn't "get" it fully until I had read Yoshikawa's book about Musashi first. Anyway, the Yoshikawa book is valuable for the westerner who wants to find some real warrior philosphy and take a whack at a good novel at the same time.

Have you ever watched Chef's Table on Netflix? Most of those people on there are HIGHLY intuitive. That level of finger tip feeling and creativity is far beyond what I mean when I say that most people I have encountered have this "it". I assume these things develop over the course of many lives. Intuition largely being a sort of sunconscious bank of experience to draw on. A feeling for things. And eventually, it gives birth to the drive for Kung Fu. Perfection, mastery.

At the same time, the mind is nothing without the ability to DO. Which is essentially what extroverted sensing is about. Introverted sensing is basically the memory of how things were, smells tastes, movement patterns, details, experiences. As a person grows, he becomes what he pursues. It is not unusual for someone honing this or that ability to for a time appear to be a type that is not what he set out to be, or even in line with his inner being. The core self. An older soul would thus have developed both kinds. Bringing us back to the core issue. Ability rather than preference. I believe that, if we poke with an investigative stick at those genuine past life travelers who report Sensing type personalities, we would often find a highly developed intuitive side as well.

This is getting too long and rambling. Too little structure. Hope I got some of my thinking across. Been thinking about it on and off for years, trying to pinpoint this elusive thing which makes some people seem truly deep, and others very shallow. At their respective extremes, depending on the progress of the individual.

briski likes this.