How much stays the same?

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by -HM-, Jun 1, 2018.

1. -HM-

-HM- Senior Registered

How much do people typically carry over carry over from life to life in terms of traits? I’m inquiring moreso about personality than appearance, but either is interesting.
    I see less similarities in personality between myself and my last PL, but I do look very similar. Instead, I see traits of all of them, and some new traits as well, though there is one particular PL I do seem most similar to.
    I would have thought you’d be most like your last PL, with some new traits thrown in the mix too...like each lifetime building a little more off the last. That leads me to my next question, is there a reason that you’d have one lifetime where you were a bit different than all the others?
    Just for example, in most of my lifetimes, I haven’t been particularly organized. In one of my more documented lifetimes, it was said that I was “very premeditated” in everything that I did, but the truth is that I was and still am really good at planning things out off the top of my head, which only makes it seem like it was thought out far ahead of time.
    In one PL, I was a wealthy female, so I really didn’t have to work hard, and in the next one that I’m able to recall, I was a little lazy too, despite what some accounts say. I preferred to work smart rather than hard, and conned others rather than applying myself at honest work. I’m a salesman in this lifetime, and quite good at it, but I’m also lazy and hate putting in the long hours. I don’t think I’m made for 9-5.
    In my recent PL, however, I was a very hard worker, very self motivated, organized, ect...a lot of things were almost opposite to my other lives. That’s not to say there aren’t similarities, but there are also much more differences. I’m curious to know, why would one lifetime deviate so much from the others in that way?

2. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

It's interesting to speculate HM, my thoughts have been like a mixture of classroom type education where attention shifts between courses that we "need" and those that we "like" as well as lifetimes that I've come to think of as tests of our convictions. I have no idea if that is even close to reality, but it satisfies my questioning in that area. It also fits within my current lifetime where I feel that I have been tested. I meet once a month with some high school classmates where it appears that the tests are quite different with some having it (lives) a lot easier than others with some either graduating early or flunking out. With a graduating class of less than forty of us we are like family and a good percentage of us were together for the entire twelve years (there was no kindergarten back then, not even drivers-training!).

Since I don't recall any previous lifetimes but have abilities in areas that seem "natural" to me, I assume that I had some success, or interest, in those areas previously.

Although I've worked at a variety of jobs, including sales where I did well, my feelings of doing things that made a difference that I could see were the things that made me feel the best, so construction was very gratifying for me. I don't know how that fits in with traits or past lives.

3. -HM-

-HM- Senior Registered

I’ve also thought about the possibility of just shifting between lessons in various lifetimes. I suppose some similarities could also just be explained by similar interests crossing various lifetimes as opposed to it being part of a direction I’m supposed to take in each life.

One thing I’ve noticed is that I had a lot more direction in my most recent life than I did in the one before that and in this one as well. I think I had the intention to change the world for the better and make a name for myself at the same time in my most recent lifetime, but that was very misguided, and I wasn’t the best person.

If I’m being honest, in other lives I’ve been more concerned with myself and my life than anyone else’s. I don’t have any real interest in changing the world, just being successful myself. I guess that could mean either I have different things I need to learn and I’m picking up where that lifetime left off as opposed to the last one as far as learning, or they and probably others are just simply lives with less direction, like a break so to say.

4. Spirit Sword

Spirit Sword Senior Registered

I think personality can change for a few reasons:

We are all affected deeply by our upbringing (parenting style, culture, etc.). As this varies between lives, there are going to be different results, even if these factors were applied to the exact same personality.

We react differently to different situations. No lifetime is the same, and small factors could encourage changes in behavior.

We change based on our experiences. That is the whole point of reincarnation, correct? To evolve through experiences. We take our past experiences with us, and they change us, for better or worse.

The amount we change, like everything, seems to vary from person to person.

-HM- and SeekerOfKnowledge like this.
  5. -HM-

-HM- Senior Registered

That makes a fair amount of sense. I do think part of the “likeness” probably not just for myself but for others as well, is something you can’t quite put your finger on. I suppose I sum it up to personality because there isn’t really any good word for it, but it goes a lot deeper than that.

6. Spirit Sword

A personal energy, perhaps? Someone keeps the same vibe over time?

7. fireflydancing

fireflydancing just a fly in the sky Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes. I call it the energetical fingerprint.

8. KenJ

KenJ Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I've often wondered what is recognizable about my essence (on the other side). I assume that it is a vibrational energy for some reason which leads be to thinking that perhaps others that fit well with me have similar harmonics, but that is just my mind wandering I suppose. As for personality or characteristics while physical, I can't imagine a feminine version of my physical features as an adult although my avatar pic (at the time of this post) could be imagined I suppose - if I had enough hair to cover those big ears:D.

9. Spirit Sword

I have been contemplating the same thing. I have been able to recognize the presence of current friends in past life memories without seeing them. "Ah yes, X is sitting behind me, even though I cannot get a good look at them." It is like there is an aura or something.

It's odd. Sometimes, the energy remains even in documentation. I once read a story in which previous incarnations of myself and a friend of mine were portrayed (albeit in a somewhat fictionalized manner) and picked up the same energy signature, recognizing the impression of us without even knowing we had a connection to the tale.

It is a strange concept.

10. -HM-

-HM- Senior Registered

I think that’s a really good way to put it.

I’ve had this same experience with some of the PL’s I have that do have that much documentation (only two that I know of). Coming across my Victorian PL especially, I picked up on that vibe right away...and a sense of familiarity as well even though I was reading it for the first time. Weird feeling.