How to find out about your past lives

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Deborah, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Registered

Actually, your point is still not well made. Although there are people out there who want to find a lucrative niche for themselves in whatever subject seems to be popular at the moment, there are also dedicated authors out there who would like to offer their books for free. However, we live in a world where the books must be carried on trucks, which require petrol, which costs money. So, the filthy lucre of monetary exchange still holds a very real place in our reality. The fact that Plato and Aristotle are dead does not place their books in a more worthy category than the many very good and worthy living authors who have something to offer, but must charge a reasonable price to cover their own cost of living.

So, we will gladly continue to recommend books by what we consider to be worthy authors -- regardless of the fact that books do cost money. Perhaps when some communist dictator comes along and makes books free, you will be relieved. However, by that time books will more likely be outlawed.

2. Nightrain

I can understand a great deal about where you are coming from. The internet is chock full of greedy people with meaningless products, which are being marketed with grossly misleading words, and the "New Age" field is one good example of such a cesspool.

Here you can discuss more meaningful ideas with a high degree of genuine and open inquiry. Welcome, Adam!

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator

Adam, one of the aims of this forum is to collect and make availible to the public, as much information on the subject of reincarnation as possible .... the recommendation of books written by authors either alive or dead is part of that aim. Deborah has worked very hard for 14 years to make this forum one of the best resources on the internet for people who are either studying, or interested in this topic, and I can assure you she has never received a single penny for her efforts, instead she is motivated by passion .... not profit! Hopefully, you'll see that for yourself when you have spent a bit more time here.

4. crystal_44

crystal_44 Crystal

Hmmm...but maybe they ARE alive and on this planet? Hehe, sorry I couldn't resist. ;)

This forum is a very safe, loving, and welcoming place. I have had bad experience with religious fanatics, cynics, and people who were just plain close-minded. It has made me guarded and wary, but this forum is the one place I can freely discuss this with others going through the same thing.

I am sorry that you have had the same experience, but you have come to the right place for answers.

Welcome, and I hope that you find the comfort that I have found here.

5. pixarfan

pixarfan Member

You mean like librarians? :D

6. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator

Good morning Arrant, and welcome!

I must admit I was a little taken back by your initial post. It seemed pretty judgmental on America, California, authors and most especially Deborah. Having spent a great deal of time in Europe (married there), I am familiar with some of these prejudices. And I am always amazed at how these preconceived ideas are asserted as fact. No doubt they are the result of the world media and the interpretation we each make form it. Having lived on both sides of the "big pond" it is so incredibly apparent to me... and utterly sad.

Arrant, your initial post was incorrect. This sight was founded and paid for over fourteen years ago by the Bowman's. Yes, she is an author, but more important, a researcher and counselor in the field of past life regression. She specializes in the area of children. This web site was founded by them in order to utilize the best technology (internet) for the gathering and dissemination of information in regard to children's past life studies. Steve and Carol Bowman were very fortunate to find Deborah, a professor of art (not an author!), who so deeply believed in their work that she volunteered to help build the Past Life Forum.

Under her supervision this forum has grown to become a resource for study on the topic. We have amassed a large collection of reference materials... books, movies, personal accounts... and are still building. No one is here for profit. As you may notice the Administrative Staff is VERY international... there are two Americans (Deb and myself), a Canadian (Aili), and three Europeans (Sunniva, Eevee, & ChrisR). Our Moderators are also quite diversified, and I must say, some of the most intellectually competent and wonderful people I've ever seen on the internet.

Cynicism has its place (I suppose: angel). In this case I suppose it is an opportunity for self-review on our part. But also a chance to clarify misconceptions on yours. We welcome you here... warmly and completely. I look forward to more words from you. And assure you that the motive for our work here is genuine, non-cynical and motivated by a deep, deep passion to understand reincarnation. AND as the thread is entitled (And my administrative way of redirecting the thread back on target:rolleyes:) "How to find out about your past lives"...

I wish you the best.

Tinkerman

7. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

I must apologise to all of you, and particularly Deborah, if I have caused even the slightest offence. I just see so much in the world that is false, proclaiming to be true, that sometimes it's hard to determine one from the other, and it seems that, in this case, I made a snap misjudgement. Please forgive me.

May I also just take this opportunity to state, for the record, that I am not in the least anti-American (or anti Californian), and most especially not anti-author! I was married to a native Californian for many years, have visited the U.S. many times, and have also worked for a large American company here in the UK. I can see, however, why my first post might have suggested otherwise. To be honest, I think, like most Euopeans, I am more anti-American government, specifically its foriegn policy, and the apparent belief that America has a mandate from God (as part of some uniquely American Judeo-Christian tradition) to police the world. But American people I actually like very much!

A lot of cherished perceptions ARE often stated as fact, you are quite right. Only the other day I came across a long essay on the internet from an American rabbi contrasting the supposed, divinely inspired morality of America with the decadence of the supposed secular Europe!

But anyway, I am going off topic, so will try to keep to subject in future posts. Thank you all for the warm welcome, and once again my sincere apologies for getting off on the wrong foot.

Adam.

8. Nightrain

So...Arrant -- what is your opinion about how one should best go about learning about their past lives. What brings you to this subject? Do you meditate? Have you had any specific interest in historic periods?

9. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

Thank you, Nightrain.

To answer your questions in turn -

I have absolutely no idea how best to go about learning about one's past lives. Indeed, that lack of knowledge is one of the reasons I've joined this forum. I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me some pointers.

As for meditation, I have tried but failed, like, I suspect, a great many people trying it for the first time. I simply cannot clear my mind of all the daily stuff that seems to clutter my thinking. I can't even sleep properly at night due to my inability to "switch off"! I will, however, persevere in attempting to do so...

Regarding my interest in a specific historic period, a resounding YES! Ever since I was a small boy (and I'm now 48), I've had an abiding fascination with aircraft, most especially from the WW2 period. So deep is this facination that it soon transcended the usual boyhood pre-occupation with building model aeroplanes, etc, and evolved into something far more. When i was 19, I learned to fly, getting my pilot's licence at 20 and, despite there being no family involvement with flying or aviation whatsoever, my instructors all declared me a "natural", and I've always felt quite at home and confortable in the air. Moreover, I've written numerous published magazine articles on aircraft and pilots of WW2. I could go on and on with more examples of how my interest has manifested itself, but I don't want to bore you all and, anyway, hopefully you get the idea..

Is this fascination a lingering attachment to a previous life lived in WW2. Or something that simply developed in this lifetime? I really don't know. However, many years ago I had a sitting with a medium of some repute who, part way through, with very little prompting (I simply told him I had an interest in American history and an interest in aeroplanes), told me I had been shot down in an American fighter in WW2. His exact words were: "you didn't go down in flames; you were shot down and were dead before you hit the ground." Now, I've no way of knowing if there is any truth in that, and I've never been plauged by nightmares of such a violent death, and of course the medium may not have been as good, or have displayed as much integrity, as his reputation suggested. But it IS food for thought.

What do you think?

Adam.

10. Nightrain

I can see that you've already cleared one major hurdle in the process of discovering your past lives, and that is having an inkling of what you might have been. The next step would likely be to convince yourself that such a thing is possible. This can be a major hurdle for folks like you or I. Being a somewhat skeptical (rational) sort of fellow, myself, I would presume that this step would leave me open to any number of silly fantasies. However, I have found that, once we eliminate the element of ego and material attachment, whatever fantasies we entertain seem to point in the right possible directions. After all, one might ask, why would you have chosen to investigate WWII aircraft instead of WWI submarines?

So, once we have established a possible theory, we have to test it, right? As I mentioned, the next step is to convince yourself that Reincarnation is possible. So, how do we go about doing this? We read as much as possible by reputable dedicated researchers like Dr. Ian Stevenson who documented well over a thousand cases around the world. But, we don't stop there. We also have to test the wider premise that the material body and brain are not the source of all that we sense. In other words, we have to accept that there is something beyond the material world that allows our essence to free itself of the body and move on as an intact being. For this purpose I would recommend any literature by Drs. Dean Radin, Daryl Bem, Charles Tart, Russell Targ, Pim van Lommel and Gary Schwartz, which show tremendous support for the existence of Telepathy, Remote Viewing, Precognition, and Post-mortem Consciousness. Once it becomes evident that such phenomenon are real, then Reincarnation is no longer such a stretch of the imagination, and our ability to accept the next step in our search becomes possible.

The next step? Regression Therapy by a reputable trained practitioner who specializes in Past Life Regression. Hopefully, other members can help you in locating such a professional in your area; or, you can follow this link for more information.

As for meditation, some folks find it easy, and some even have spontaneous memories from dreams and even during waking hours. However, I, like you, am not so fortunate; which is why I recommend the above steps. Good luck, and keep asking questions.

11. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

Regarding Nightrain's suggestions for specific past life research I would also add that an akashic reading, or a viewing of your "book of life", can provide alot of information as to your soul's past lives and purpose in this one. I find it especially valuable in understanding my soul level relationships with others that I know while incarnate.

12. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

13. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

How does one go about obtaining an akashic reading?

14. Kristopher

Kristopher Senior Registered

15. Tinkerman

Tinkerman Administrator

Some thoughts on this journey

Very interesting Adam... thank you for sharing. I concur with Nightrain on what it means and the steps you could take. I've always professed that the journey into "the otherside"... reincarnation and spirituality is a very, very personal one. It involves you, as an individual, searching all avenues that cross your path. As we travel time I believe we are given markers, synchronous events, people and thoughts. These are places where you may delve deeper into the heart of your questions. It seems to me the average human being is so caught up in his or her life that they fail to see these guide-rocks. A person must slow down, so to speak, to notice them and have faith that they mean something more than happenstance. For me that has been meditation practice. For other it is a concentration in the phenomena that Nightrain mentioned. As he said you are doing the right thing by at least recognizing the probability.

I am not a defined religious person... I'm a weird hybred: angel. I suppose my Christian roots, Buddhist tendencies, and my earth based mentality make for a strange hybrid. But I've made that journey on my own and must say I've never been more certain or comfortable on my path! It is wonderful and sincerely enriching. But I cannot impart it on you. That's just what all the fundamentalists of the world are trying to do to each other... and as I say over and over "look how they are screwing it up." People who speak with such venomous "truth" are poison. So I will tell you: explore, research, read, listen (to the world, to your self, in the quiet of your mind) and somewhere in it all, bits of truth will come to you. You mentioned the perseverance above...YES! persevere in your search. It reminds me of a principle in Buddhist teachings called the Five Spiritual Faculties

In Christianity we simply say "knock and the door shall be opened." Whatever your path open your mind and heart... it is a beautiful walk.

Thanks for joining us

Happy trails!

Tinkerman

16. Arrant

Arrant Senior Registered

Tinkerman, Kristopher, Nightrain, etc

Many thanks for your words of wisdom. Its so encouraging to know there are others like me out there...

I've been looking at some of the other posts on past life memories, and some of them are quite remarkable. I wish I had some of my own to share, but I don't - else I would immediately post under the relevant thread! However, there are a couple of things I can share - call some of it prescient wisdom if you like - and I'll be posting these on the appropriate threads as time goes on, if anyone is interested.

Adam.

17. Lilmsmaggie

Lilmsmaggie Registered

Same here. Soul Survivor is a very moving story. Speaking of which, I don't know much about this little boy except what's in this brief expose but from reading about this little boy's amazing gifts, I'm not sure precocious or even prodigy begins to explain his abilities -- go ahead, have a read:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/24/60minutes/main657713.shtml

18. usetawuz

usetawuz Senior Registered

19. Nightrain

Having wondered about this, myself, I've come to the conclusion that it is important to pursue finding out whatever we can about our Past Lives. Like Usetawaz, I also believe that, if it is not in our best interest to find some information, we will be prevented from doing so. If, for example, we are the kind of person who finds it difficult to function under the onus of past mistakes, then it is to our advantage to be left without memory of such things during the next life. If we learn to accept ourselves, mistakes and all, then we may find more memories become available. If, for another example, we tend to relax and rest upon our laurels after a great accomplishment, then it may again be to our advantage to not remember such things, so that we may move on through other objectives in this life.

20. libshoppe

libshoppe Omniscient yet Humble

Just south of deep South Texas (the southern part)
    Past (human) lives on THIS planet?

Why does the assumption that we have had prior lives on THIS particular planet in the form of a human structure pervade the discussion. The spark of life is not temporary. It was not created - it is eternal. It may only flower into a cognizant condition once every trillion years or so. To presume prior human cognizance is rather presumptive.